• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 expansion confirmed for fall 2016, includes online multiplayer

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/724331355312545792

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/724331811875115013

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/724332105568636929

.@joshharrison: RB4 will get an expansion pack in the fall. Big, big features, and the start of more free updates to come. #RBPanel

.@thesoundgun tells us Music Library enhancements are coming. Filtering, ratings, hiding songs, & more. #RBPanel.

ONLINE. MULTIPLAYER. CONFIRMED.

There's a photo from the PAX presentation with a timeline of features. Things of note:

• Double-kick support in May
  • Practice mode in June
  • NO updates for July/August
  • Expansion pack in September
  • Music library enhancements in September (listed separately, could this mean separate from expansion?)
  • Online multiplayer in "Holiday" (again, listed separately, could this mean separate from expansion?)

Price TBA. More info at E3.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/4g9wmt/synchronous_online_multiplayer_ions_and_more_pax/

The secrets are out: Synchronous online multiplayer is coming to Rock Band 4! PDP is making an ION/E-Kit adapter for Xbox One! Huge new features coming in our first ever expansion pack later this year!

For those who didn’t follow along on Twitter as we livetweeted the panel, here’s a quick recap of our 2016 roadmap:

May: Battleborn characters – These were announced at the Gearbox panel on Friday, but we’re confirming them for the May update hitting soon.

May: Double kick support – Yep, you’ll be able to use that other port on your drums to use double kick pedals for tougher songs.

June: Practice Mode -- All the features you’d expect are here. Picking sections of a song, slowing them down, vocal pitch guides, etc.

Summer: Pausing updates -- Here’s when we wrap up “Chapter One” of Rock Band 4 and put a pause on updates. We have some huge features in store for the fall, and we want to give them the attention from the dev team they deserve.

Fall: Expansion Pack -- In the fall, we’re launching our first ever expansion pack, which is going to have some really big features attached to it, which haven’t been seen in Rock Band before. Much more to come about everything here at E3.

Fall: Music Library Enhancements -- Arriving alongside the expansion pack (But available to everyone with Rock Band 4), we’re making a bunch of tweaks to the music library, allowing you to sort, filter, and rate songs more easily.

Holiday: SYNCHRONOUS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER -- It’s coming. We want to be sure this version of online is better than in previous games, so we’re going to be using a modified version of Quickplay that has improvements for people with differing DLC libraries and groups where a random person tries to pick every song.

Ninhead

it'd be real fucked if they charged for this. Especially after the shit show that was their unfinished release and DLC delays.

Hey, glad you could make it to the thread. I could take the time to call out your drive-by shitpost, but I'm too excited by this update. Just put in two hours in RB4 this morning/afternoon. Missed it a lot. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

Guess Who

Banned
it'd be real fucked if they charged for this. Especially after the shit show that was their unfinished release and DLC delays.

Seriously. Launching with tons of major features absent - features that were standard-issue in every previous RB release - and then coming out with them a year later and charging for them? I suppose it's good that they're coming at all, but maaaaan.

I think it's fair for them to charge, especially since there's at least one other major feature attached to this. People knew what Rock Band 4 was going in. The stuff they've added so far has been great, but I'm not going to expect that they keep up a free update train in perpetuity.

Best way to go about this would be a bundle pack that includes the online play update + a bunch of DLC tracks. Give people something more tangible & immediate for the money.

Ridley327

I'm honestly surprised they're still working on this. I thought RB4 tanked.

It's definitely not a million seller, but finding a good baseline and keeping it has always been one of Harmonix's better talents as a developer.

It sounds like they're going to effectively relaunch RB4 this fall, which makes sense since they're changing out publishers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hey, glad you could make it to the thread. I could take the time to call out your drive-by shitpost, but I'm too excited by this update. Just put in two hours in RB4 this morning/afternoon. Missed it a lot. Can't wait to see what they have in store.
How in the world was that a shit post?

There's a photo from the PAX presentation with a timeline of features. Things of note:

• Practice mode in June
  • Music library enhancements in September (listed separately, could this mean separate from expansion?)
  • Online multiplayer in "Holiday" (again, listed separately, could this mean separate from expansion?)
Basically, right now it's unclear what's actually part of the expansion and what's not. It could be that Harmonix intends to charge for everything past August, or it could be that the expansion is actually a song pack and all the other features are free additions. Until we get more info, who knows?

Cptkrush

I've complained a total of zero times about this game, I love that I have my collection on my bone, and it's cool that they've been updating here and there. That being said, these are features people wanted from the start, the game launched unfinished, and now they are discussing charging extra money for something that should have been there from the start? I don't care about multiplayer, but for the people that do, it's pretty lame. This isn't a shit post, it's an opinion about their line of thinking, it is certainly not unwarranted.

Great to see practice coming finally, though.

I don't think they put a price on Online at all. They just said an expansion is coming in the fall, and that will most likely be a bunch of songs you can get for a cheap price.

hesido

It's Harmonix's main source of income right now. It's not a huge hit, but it's probably HMX's best-selling game in years, and the DLC keeps selling, too (even if it has largely been mediocre for the past few months).

I'm glad that this is the case, but what is the source for this information about the revenue?

FyreWulff

Yeah, they should clarify if online is attached to the expansion.

Also assuming the expansion probably is a song pack of some sort to include in a new disc run.

• Practice mode in June
Basically, right now it's unclear what's actually part of the expansion and what's not. It could be that Harmonix intends to charge for everything past August, or it could be that the expansion is actually a song pack and all the other features are free additions. Until we get more info, who knows?

I think some people are mislead, but Online will not be a paid update. It'll be free.

impact

Banned
The game has calibration built in. I'm able to play on a Smart TV with no issues.

At the top level of playing just a ms or two off will throw you off your game and make you miss easy notes. I've got a 144hz 1ms monitor that I'd love to play with, but we couldn't raise 1.5mil for a port of an unfinished game so I'll just keep this genre in the past.

Son Of D

Wait, practice mode wasn't in the base game? I knew about the lack of online but never knew it was missing practice.

I'm glad that this is the case, but what is the source for this information about the revenue?

I feel like it's evident from the fact that it made the October NDP and that Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia both flopped. Dance Central's DLC support essentially ended within three months of the game's launch, while Rock Band is still getting DLC.

Cptkrush

Yeah, they should clarify if online is attached to the expansion.

Also assuming the expansion probably is a song pack of some sort to include in a new disc run.

If there's a song expansion included and it's a new disc run, I have no problems with them charging for it.

hesido

The game has calibration built in. I'm able to play on a Smart TV with no issues.

Mine is mostly audio related latency issues. The game can probably adapt to display latency just fine. (My home theatre sound set has a 110 ms latency, The TV has a 80MS latency if I were to use the TV sound.)

It makes it impossible to do vocals and free-style drumming.

FyreWulff

Vocal Guide was in Beatles and Rock Band 3. You have to press a button and it'll make a tone for the note you're supposed to hit in Practice.

I don't think they put a price on Online at all. They just said an expansion is coming in the fall, and that will most likely be a bunch of songs you can get for a cheap price.

It's 100% speculation from me, but I think the right path would be another single band-focused Rock Band game. Get a new SKU into stores, that uses the existing Rock Band 4 base game with a focused track list. That gives them a meaningfully different product to push to the public, and something excitement worthy for the core base. Specific announcement at E3.

This is my appeal for Rock Band: MUSE

The secrets are out: Synchronous online multiplayer is coming to Rock Band 4! PDP is making an ION/E-Kit adapter for Xbox One! Huge new features coming in our first ever expansion pack later this year!

For those who didn’t follow along on Twitter as we livetweeted the panel, here’s a quick recap of our 2016 roadmap:

May: Battleborn characters – These were announced at the Gearbox panel on Friday, but we’re confirming them for the May update hitting soon.

May: Double kick support – Yep, you’ll be able to use that other port on your drums to use double kick pedals for tougher songs.

June: Practice Mode -- All the features you’d expect are here. Picking sections of a song, slowing them down, vocal pitch guides, etc.

Summer: Pausing updates -- Here’s when we wrap up “Chapter One” of Rock Band 4 and put a pause on updates. We have some huge features in store for the fall, and we want to give them the attention from the dev team they deserve.

Fall: Expansion Pack -- In the fall, we’re launching our first ever expansion pack, which is going to have some really big features attached to it, which haven’t been seen in Rock Band before. Much more to come about everything here at E3.

Fall: Music Library Enhancements -- Arriving alongside the expansion pack (But available to everyone with Rock Band 4), we’re making a bunch of tweaks to the music library, allowing you to sort, filter, and rate songs more easily.

Holiday: SYNCHRONOUS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER -- It’s coming. We want to be sure this version of online is better than in previous games, so we’re going to be using a modified version of Quickplay that has improvements for people with differing DLC libraries and groups where a random person tries to pick every song.

I’m really excited about everything we have coming this year, especially because it means I get to talk about it with all of you guys and gals. I’ve gotta run to our event at the planetarium for now (And then pass out immediately after that’s over because holy crap it’s been a long, exhausting, amazing weekend), but rest assured that I’ll spend a bunch of time in here tomorrow answering questions and virtually high-fiving people.

Some more info from JoshHMX.

So it looks like online will be free!

Ninhead

I've complained a total of zero times about this game, I love that I have my collection on my bone, and it's cool that they've been updating here and there. That being said, these are features people wanted from the start, the game launched unfinished, and now they are discussing charging extra money for something that should have been there from the start? I don't care about multiplayer, but for the people that do, it's pretty lame. This isn't a shit post, it's an opinion about their line of thinking, it is certainly not unwarranted.

Great to see practice coming finally, though.

I apologize for my pre-emptive assumption. How was the game unfinished? What features are they charging for that they announced would be in at launch?

FyreWulff

should be noted that the slower speed in practice mode now keeps all the instruments playing

guessing the labels didn't like the ability to solo the instrument stem via practice mode before.

If we dont get static vocals finally and quickplay setlists then meh

Setlists were patched in on April 2nd

CS_Dan

Great news. I'm not someone that really either plays online or uses practice mode (now that pro instruments have gone anyway), but I know that the community have been gagging for both.

So... What about those SCEE exports?

Top Bottom