• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Platform |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3wThr33

Banned
bearcatjosh said:
Hey guys, I can't deal with being a second class citizen by owning Rock Band 2 for the PS3, so I'm thinking about cutting my losses and switching to the 360.

I honestly worry about more exclusivity deals over time (who knows how long it will take for the Beatles game to release on the PS3), and more exclusive instruments for the 360 (the mic with controller built in and bass guitar are awesome!).

I hate the late DLC (we waited an extra week for seemingly no reason for the Roy Orbison content).

Anyway, I'm big into DLC, which system do you all estimate will make it easier to keep your DLC when the inevitable new XBOX and Playstation system launch?

Also, do the LIPS mics work with Rock Band 2 on the 360?

It's a bummer to feel the need to do this. If I had known how this was how Sony's 3rd party support would go back in the Fall of 2007, I would have just picked up the 360 version.

Sheesh!

Uhm... despite my bitching, it's actually evened out. You do know the PS3 has vastly more peripheral support, right?

Virtually EVERY SINGLE third party guitar is PS2/PS3/Wii only except for the P-Bass. (Which IS wired, FYI)

And you DO know Singstar wireless mics are coming out soon, too, right?

Plus, the week delay in the pack was because of the holiday scheduling with a Thursday falling on a national holiday. If you're going to freak out over a fucking HOLIDAY then FUCK, GO.

The PS3 looks to preserve your DLC better. You can even browse your download list on your PSP if you want. But that's not to say MS is worse, it's too close to call. However, just make sure you NEVER cancel your credit card that you use to pay for XBL. The store is accessible on all 3 plats. (PSP, PC, PS3) It's not going anywhere.

saunderez

M3wThr33 said:
However, just make sure you NEVER cancel your credit card that you use to pay for XBL.
There's no problem changing credit cards. You just have to actually do it, not let it lapse and wonder why your account is suspended after the card is unsuccessfully charged 3 times.

M3wThr33

Banned
saunderez said:
There's no problem changing credit cards. You just have to actually do it, not let it lapse and wonder why your account is suspended after the card is unsuccessfully charged 3 times.
Which apparently happens often enough to scare me.

If RB3 doesnt come out in 2009 I at least better be able to export the beatles songs into RB2. otherwise this will be the worst year ever for the RB "platform"

M3wThr33

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
If RB3 doesnt come out in 2009 I at least better be able to export the beatles songs into RB2. otherwise this will be the worst year ever for the RB "platform"
Or they could pull a Criterion and whip out a new interface.

OR AT LEAST PUT THE FUCKING MESSAGE OF THE DAY ON THE PS3.

I have a hunch they're waiting for the next PS3 firmware update.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
M3wThr33 said:
Or they could pull a Criterion and whip out a new interface.

I have a hunch they're waiting for the next PS3 firmware update.
Wtf? Are you serious? :lol

BigBlackGamer said:
I have to give a shout out to Miller at GameInformer for giving RB2 his GOTY 2008. which is the only right answer I've seen. your a good man. :D

Even though I play these games more than anything, I feel weird calling them GotY. They're too similar year in year out outside the tracklists.

Left 4 Dead - GotY.

XShagrath

M3wThr33 said:
Yet another reason why the 360 version is the only correct answer.

They didn't have it in PS3 RB1 either, did they? What makes you think they'll patch it now?

PacoDG

Some Otronicon pics/video

Rock Band stage was awesome
2hxx369.jpg

Two floors above is where the kids were able to play Guitar Hero. Well adults were allowed to play these games too.. but c'mon.. adults play Rock Band ;)
23vx95c.jpg

"The Ultimate Rock Band Drum Kit" (read more about how this was made here)

2uesp5j.jpg

2cq1k78.jpg

The kit was sooooo awesome to play on... except for the kick pedal. The right pedal seemed fucked. My foot kept getting caught under the chain .. here is a picture (yeah, I had to take a picture I was so pissed):

2e1d4wm.jpg

Small clips of different people:
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Disturbed - Down with the Sickness
Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Full video:
Me on drums being pissed I'm missing so many kicks (some guy picks up my camera and moves it around to get a better angle, which was cool with me)

XShagrath, I wish you luck in the competition today, I really wish I could skip work and go again (they gave me 5 extra press badges, bah!)

XShagrath

Paco, did they have any DLC available or just the RB1 export? We're getting together to practice in a bit and pick out a couple songs to play, and it would be nice if we knew exactly what they had beforehand.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
PacoDG said:
The kit was sooooo awesome to play on... except for the kick pedal. The right pedal seemed fucked. My foot kept getting caught under the chain .. here is a picture (yeah, I had to take a picture I was so pissed):

Yea, that chain is strung completely backwards. The left pedal's done right, but the right one.... well, there's your problem.

XShagrath

I noticed the chain thing right away. The guy that built that thing didn't put much thought into adding the double bass. I wonder if it even works like true double pass or if he just did the splitter?

Anyways, this gives us a huge advantage tonight, as our drummer is "left-footed", and will be using the "good" bass pedal. Woohoo!

PacoDG

XShagrath said:
Paco, did they have any DLC available or just the RB1 export? We're getting together to practice in a bit and pick out a couple songs to play, and it would be nice if we knew exactly what they had beforehand.

All Rock Band 1 tracks are exported, I noticed absolutely no DLC.

The left pedal was definitely done up correctly, during the second half of Boston I ended up just sitting slightly to the left which messed up all my green hits. But yeah, for your drummer, this will work out awesome since he is left footed.

XShagrath

Paco, we gotta hang out sometime since you're right here in the area.

We have a get-together every* Sunday from 5pm-9pm at my job. We allow guests as long as an employee vouches for them, and I would definitely do that for you.

We play on a huge projector (probably 15' or so), and sometimes bring the stage kit as well, even though it doesn't work very well in the large room we play in.

*Obviously not this Sunday, because we'll be at Otronicon.

Magik

jamesinclair said:
Obviously this would require more development, but Id like if other string instruments like piano or cello could be mapped to guitar play. I dont care if its not realistic, it would be FUN.

Highly unlikely considering the huge backlash - RB/Scorehero forums - that happened when one of the Boston songs had the organ sole charted. Heck, some people in this thread were complaining about it.

ahoyle77

So I started an endless setlist last night with my buddies, and we are on song 54. This morning someone switched the regular mic with the one with a controller built it. It now will not recognize controller 3. no matter which mic is plugged in. we've turned off everything, resynched...any thoughts ? I think we just flushed about 5 hours down the crapper.

DuckRacer

So I finally beat GGaHT on expert guitar a few minutes ago. And then I replayed and beat it again.

Fuck yeah.

edit: now that I've defeated the zig-zags, I'm tackling Camera Eye next. lol

Cheech

My wife bought her own PS3 (long story), and it is weird that the Singstar mics work fine with GH:WT but not Rock Band (1). Does anyone know if they work with RB2? That may hasten a purchase. Thanks.

M3wThr33

Banned
Cheech said:
My wife bought her own PS3 (long story), and it is weird that the Singstar mics work fine with GH:WT but not Rock Band (1). Does anyone know if they work with RB2? That may hasten a purchase. Thanks.

Singstar mics work fine in RB1 and RB2. Make sure you are using the BLUE port.

Magik said:
Highly unlikely considering the huge backlash - RB/Scorehero forums - that happened when one of the Boston songs had the organ sole charted. Heck, some people in this thread were complaining about it.

Then again, why not make it optional?

Options: Use other instrument charts YES NO
Chose instrument: Guitar, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Guitar 2, Drums, Singer, Piano, Other string

Xevren

I don't care whats charted so long as it's fun. I hate smokin's solo just because I have a huge massive hatred for trills. HATE.

Is there a "how to calibrate" guide to Rock Band 2 somewhere? I'm using the World Tour guitar, and after each calibration I get different results in audio and visual delay. Is there a way to do it properly, or do I need to invest in the RB2 guitar to get it right?

AMUSIX

Archie said:
I hate the Smokin' guitar chart SO MUCH. Ruined such a great song on that instrument. :(
During the keyboard solo, use the solo keys with your right hand. You'll end up playing the solo as it should be played. For even better feel, turn the guitar more parallel to the ground.

DuckRacer

Vinterbird said:
Is there a "how to calibrate" guide to Rock Band 2 somewhere? I'm using the World Tour guitar, and after each calibration I get different results in audio and visual delay. Is there a way to do it properly, or do I need to invest in the RB2 guitar to get it right?
You don't need the RB2 guitar, that wouldn't even work perfectly for me.

The game's manual has a section dedicated to calibration, and it lists base settings for different types of TVs. Your best bet is to use the settings that correspond with your TV, and manually tweak the numbers and test them out until everything feels fine. It's a pain (and it should be easier – GHWT has a calibration option in the pause menu), but that's what worked for me.

birdman

BigBlackGamer said:
I have to give a shout out to Miller at GameInformer for giving RB2 his GOTY 2008. which is the only right answer I've seen. your a good man. :D

Wat? The only right answer is MGS4, or Fallout 3.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the tips to try and help me get started with Rock Band and calibration.
I calibrated my Panasonic PX70 with 10ms video and 20ms audio delay into sound system and its working really good now.
Game is great, can't wait till end of the month when RB2 is released in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom