• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Paper Shotgun's GOTY 2013 [John Walker responds to your deep concerns]

conman

Awesome list.

RPS looks like people who don't fall for over-hyped, over-budgeted, flashy, hollow, derivative AAA nonsense. If that makes me a "hipster," I don't want to be mainstream.

Atomski

Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to go buy an iPhone and a Macbook Air then sit around drinking Starbucks and telling people about how shitty big corporations are.

Wait you have to be an apple fan to be hipster?

Never mind then.. guess Im just some sad PC geek. *sniff*

Opiate

seems like a list with good games. what are people freaking out about what other people enjoy?

I think the "AAA blockbuster" approach to game design has been able to maintain its hegemony because people weren't willing or were actively discouraged from questioning it.

Of course GTAIV was the best game of the year when it released. Of course Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted and Bioshock and Mario Galaxy were the legitimate contenders in their years, too. Of course. Now, I don't mean to suggest that these were necessarily bad games -- that may or may not be true -- instead, I mean that in any given year these well publicized AAA games were the only ones given real serious consideration by most magazines and gaming outlets.

Suggesting that maybe some games made on shoestring budgets or made for iOS or made for 3DS or made by some guy in his basement for the PC disrupts the accepted, established order of gaming, where AAA, blockbuster, console-centric titles are on top and are the default, assumed GotY candidates. iOS games are on bottom and everything else falling somewhere in between. Choices like Kentucky Zero Route disturb this conventional pecking order, and that can rile some people up.

Your second paragraph came off as surprisingly salty. I'm really not trying to rile anyone up, but it seems I have, lol

=(

It does seem that mainstream successes often win, but I was referring to the wider pool of nominees, which always include quite a few obscure — to me, I suppose, but I'm sure to many others as well — films.

And I shall believe you.

I guess I'm not arguing that their list is invalid. I'm just expressing some frustration with it because it doesn't mean much to me — I know absolutely nothing about half of these games, particularly the one that won. (I didn't want to just post "lol indies" and be on my way.)

Wouldn't that make this list more useful to you than any other list? It brought some good games to your attention that you hadn't previously heard of.

Opiate

Wouldn't that make this list more useful to you than any other list? It brought some good games to your attention that you hadn't previously heard of.

I believe many people are looking for confirmation of their previously held preferences, rather than seeking out new information and new options (speaking generally: whether that's true of Danthrax specifically is a different question).

FACE

Banned
Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to go buy an iPhone and a Macbook Air then sit around drinking Starbucks and telling people about how shitty big corporations are.

Don't forget the funny clothes.

Wait you have to be an apple fan to be hipster?

Never mind then.. guess Im just some sad PC geek. *sniff*

You hate AAA games and Apple? I think this should make you the ultimate hipster :p

Unicorn

Maybe people should actually read the site to see the justifications rather than jump to conclusions and say they are just hipsters going against the grain, just because.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Maybe people should actually read the site to see the justifications rather than jump to conclusions and say they are just hipsters going against the grain, just because.

Plz, they are saying $15 indie games are better than the games I paid 60 bucks for. This will not stand.

I have the right to my opinion, and you to yours. GOTY lists shouldn't be called GOTY lists if they only serve to throw attention at obscure games that only do 1 thing well.

But this wasn't what this list was, you're just holding a supremely biased opinion that a game has to be high budget for someone to actually enjoy it to the point of it being their GOTY.

Why in the world would you otherwise dismiss a list such as this? I mean, I'm pretty certain these were the games these people enjoyed the most during this year, and it certainly does speak to people like me who have zero interest in AAA games (also, excuse the hypocritical statement, I was actually aware of the irony while typing it). I have barely been reading other GOTY lists because they all contain the same AAA console games that I would never pay full price for. The exceptions are fantastic, and there are definitely more of those now than there used to be a couple of years ago... but still.

Honestly, you "Quadruple Triple Quantum AAAA" game fans have plenty of sites representing your tastes (see: pretty much every gaming outlet), and yet you have the audacity to scoff at an RPS list just because it doesn't adhere to the status quo? Come on.

Plz, they are saying $15 indie games are better than the games I paid 60 bucks for. This will not stand.

^--Or this.

ledman

Kentucky Route Zero was a really disappointing game for me, I know that they didn't release everything yet, but I was expecting more and this comes from a huge point and click games fan.

Don't worry, every other gaming site is going to make sure everybody knows that the best games all year are (in no particular order)

- The Last Of Us
- GTA V
- COD: Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Mario 3D world
- Zelda ALBW
- Some PS4 title because PS4 is awesome (Resogun I guess)
- Some Xbone title because xbone is awesome (Forza I guess)
- some slightly obscure or smaller title to prove they're not just fucking lowest common denominator clickbait, but not too small or obscure because then people would complain they haven't heard of it. Probably Terraria or some other indie available on multiple paltforms.
- free choice
Smaller title will probably be Tearaway for quite a few places. Platform exclusivity makes it a safe choice, since there will be a parade of people talking it up as the messiah given digital form. And even then, people will probably dismiss the list as too hipster because of it.

This reductionist attitude is just as bad, if not worse, as the hipster name-calling from the other side.

On-topic: No Path of Exile is a crime against humanity.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

What about the publishers, and all of the money they put into developing and marketing those AAA games? RPS is basically spitting in their faces with this list. It's just not OK.

Durante

So many pages, so many complaints, and yet no one identified the core issue. Which is that the list doesn't contain Divinity: Dragon Commander, the most entertaining PC-ass PC game of 2013.

It's a good list. It doesn't seem to be indie for the sake of it either, I mean there is little indie about Black Flag and Saint's Row. It being a PC only list limits it somewhat, mainly because there have been some fantastic console exclusives this year, ranging from Fire Emblem to 3D World, which is why I find GAF's list ultimately more interesting.

But still, a good list that shows what an excellent time it is to be a gamer. So many different titles, genres and ideas. 2013 was a vintage year.

antitrop

I loves me some indie games, but I giggled a bit at this list.
I have played almost all of these games. Something like Proteus or... Knock, Knock doesn't belong anywhere near a GOTY discussion. Happy to see Call of Juarez: Gunslinger on there, though.

Indie games are cool, but AAA games are cool, too. This list seems a bit ridiculous, like they're trying way too hard to rep some indie street cred. It just kind of comes off a bit disingenuous, like, it doesn't read to me as a list of the 24 best PC games of 2013, but rather just a list of 24 games that RPS feels didn't get enough attention.

Kadayi

Banned
Pleasantly surprised at their choice of KR0 (I was concerned BI was a shoe in) however despite it being unfinished I do think it's a stand out title and well worth experiencing. I'd also recommend visiting the KR0 website: -

http://kentuckyroutezero.com/

and downloading the 2 free supplementals for the game. Limits & demonstrations and the entertainment (which also has an oculus rift version).

Overall I think if you take the time read what the wrote about the game they all articulate what it is they like, however the one line that resonated strongly with me personally was this written by Alec:-

'My stakes here, thank God, are not saving the galaxy, or whether an NPC will help, or whether I’ll get the optimum cutscene. My stakes are my self-respect.’

There's something quite delightful about playing a game and not worrying about min maxing, or achievements (the cancer of gaming) or even the sense of disapproval of other characters in the game, and just going with a choice because it just feels right to you.

I'm kind of reminded a bit of a few lines in twin peaks: -

FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: You know why I'm whittling?
Sheriff Harry S. Truman: Okay, I'll, I'll bite again. Why are you whittling?
FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: Because that's what you do in a town where a yellow light still means slow down, not speed up.

KZ0 is a game where you slow down because it's all about the journey, and the necessity to rush just isn't there. In a day and age where we're all running around like headless chickens bombarded by an endless barrage of 'stuff' in the form of emails, tweets, texts, etc, etc it's real easy to lose sight of that simple escape into just dealing with the matter in hand and nothing more.

This reductionist attitude is just as bad, if not worse, as the hipster name-calling from the other side.

Oh it's definitely worse, it's almost like those clowns think that most members of the gaming audience are pathetically singular in their focus on a heavily marketed and largely formulaic subset of games being made and played in any given year; and that the vast majority of the games press does what it needs to balance out pandering to them with sucking the proverbial cocks of big publishers.

thefil

So many pages, so many complaints, and yet no one identified the core issue. Which is that the list doesn't contain Divinity: Dragon Commander, the most entertaining PC-ass PC game of 2013.

Durante is never wrong, he demonstates once again.

Froli

Imagine if some this games was created on the 90's and Early 2000, It probably would fit well in that generation I guess. A lot of vets might prefer this games rather than Triple A titles :p

I think the "AAA blockbuster" approach to game design has been able to maintain its hegemony because people weren't willing or were actively discouraged from questioning it.

Of course GTAIV was the best game of the year when it released. Of course Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted and Bioshock and Mario Galaxy were the legitimate contenders in their years, too. Of course. Now, I don't mean to suggest that these were necessarily bad games -- that may or may not be true -- instead, I mean that in any given year these well publicized AAA games were the only ones given real serious consideration by most magazines and gaming outlets.

Suggesting that maybe some games made on shoestring budgets or made for iOS or made for 3DS or made by some guy in his basement for the PC disrupts the accepted, established order of gaming, where AAA, blockbuster, console-centric titles are on top and are the default, assumed GotY candidates. iOS games are on bottom and everything else falling somewhere in between. Choices like Kentucky Zero Route disturb this conventional pecking order, and that can rile some people up.

well TWD won many GOTY awards and people are riling up now that zelda won a goty.

Think the tide is shifting to something real weird.... which is always fun!

I guess people needa come along for the ride, or don't.

iammeiam

I feel like Alec's explanation at the beginning of the Gone Home piece is a fairly blunt and accurate descriptor of why this list is the way it is, and I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. It's a POV I tend to sympathize with, so I appreciate the list since on some level it's a list of enjoyable experiences that don't fall prey to the sameness that tends to pervade AAA games.

This thread did get me to finally play the copy of Gunpoint I've had installed for ages, though, and now I'm hoping it shows up in Leftovers or I'll be quite displeased.

Curiosly enough, I just downloaded the first two acts and played through them (the season pass is discounted on Steam by the way, if anyone happens to be interested), what a "game", absolutely loved it so far and I'm considering including it in my GOTY list as well. I mean, what if the remaining acts end up never being released? Even as an incomplete work, it's still impressive and unique in its kind. I would have much preferred for it to be released as a single game, but what can you do...

When is Act III supposed to be released anyway?

Unicorn

Curiosly enough, I just downloaded the first two acts and played through them (the season pass is discounted on Steam by the way, if anyone happens to be interested), what a "game", absolutely loved it so far and I'm considering including it in my GOTY list as well. I mean, what if the remaining acts end up never being released? Even as an incomplete work, it's still impressive and unique in its kind. I would have much preferred for it to be released as a single game, but what can you do...

When is Act III supposed to be released anyway?
Is it a daily? I've had KRZ in my wishlist for such a long time, probably before release lol. My backlog can wait if I can get this game for fair price. Money is fairly tight :/

Is it a daily? I've had KRZ in my wishlist for such a long time, probably before release lol. My backlog can wait if I can get this game for fair price. Money is fairly tight :/
It's €13.5 until January 2, not sure if it's the same in America? Or wherever you're located:) I'd say it's definitely worth it at that price (even though the game is fairly short, I'd say around one hour per episode).

FACE

Banned

You can even name your saves in Dragon Commander. Can you name your saves in KR0? Didn't think so.

RPS is PC Master Race only, yes? So typical choices like GTAV, TLOU, and Nintendo products aren't even in the conversation here. This looks like a hypothetical NeoGAF STEAM GotY list to me. Don't know what anybody expected.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RPS is PC Master Race only, yes? So typical choices like GTAV, TLOU, and Nintendo products aren't even in the conversation here. This looks like a hypothetical NeoGAF STEAM GotY list to me. Don't know what anybody expected.

More Dragon Commander

You are like one of the biggest console warriors on the forum so I'm sure a site like RPS couldn't give a fuck what you think of them, haha.

gKcRgbi.gif

dream

Yeah, I'm not sure what the people complaining about this list were expecting. I mean, it's RPS. Shouldn't they be looking at the Maxim GOTY list or something if they want a list tailored to their preferences?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I loves me some indie games, but I giggled a bit at this list.
I have played almost all of these games. Something like Proteus or... Knock, Knock doesn't belong anywhere near a GOTY discussion. Happy to see Call of Juarez: Gunslinger on there, though.

Indie games are cool, but AAA games are cool, too. This list seems a bit ridiculous, like they're trying way too hard to rep some indie street cred. It just kind of comes off a bit disingenuous, like, it doesn't read to me as a list of the 24 best PC games of 2013, but rather just a list of 24 games that RPS feels didn't get enough attention.

Hey what ever makes you feels better about them not sharing your views. Discredit or distort their reasoning as an underhanded "didnt get enough attention" list. If they were being "objective" I'm sure their picks would be more in line with what you think it should have been.

Top Bottom