• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: 5 Million+ Downloads

2015-07-2923_14_40-rosczch.png

CLHEetcUYAA-crS.jpg:large

is this a spiritual successor to one of the maps in the OG game? cant remember the name but it was dope as fuck, both goals were connected

Timeaisis

Damn those are some good numbers. I wonder if they get a better cut from Sony if they hit higher download milestones due to the PS+ deal.

This is the best PS+ game hands down, and I was very happy that I still had a sub when it came out. That's really invaluable.

Revven

Game is ridiculously fun, well deserved. We need more games like this, ones with creative ideas that are just plain fun and good ol' multiplayer shenanigans.

The title was planned as a PS+ title the start. Then the beta happened and the reception was great and they reconsidered and wanted to sell standalone.

Then Sony gave a new offer and Psyonix took it.

oh wow interesting, yeah i remember some serious hype after that beta started so that makes sense.

Haunted

Regardless of the Sony deal, I'd hope that the 500k full price sales on Steam already make this a financial success. The millions of PSN+ players are propping up the active userbase, making sure the game doesn't die as quickly as other MP games these days and are also surely helping with the word of mouth.

It's a great game and I'm happy they've found success with it!

Slevin

I got it for free with PS+. Then bought a copy for a friend on Steam. Then bought a copy for myself on Steam. This game is pure bliss.

Dinda

ever since the free PS+ games started i've wondered about the deals that are made between Sony and devs regarding payment. do they just get a fraction of the normal amount they would've gotten otherwise or is it just a lump sum up front?

i just hope this was a good move all-around for Psyonix.

The thing is, even if they don't get so much from Sony directly, there are now millions of people out there having a blast and telling their friends. This surely also helped the steam sales.
And not only that, in a few weeks the game won't be free anymore on PS+, but there will still be millions of people playing it. All those people getting their new PS4s in the next few months, will see that a lot of people will playing it, and maybe their friends who already had a PS4 are playing it, so they will maybe also buy the game then.

I think this will work out fantastic for them

Every other dev: Splitscreen? ON PC? Fuck that!! Have some paid dlc maps :3

RL devs: 4 player splitscreen + online for PC and PS4, also cross-play and every dlc map will be free.

Yeah I can see why it's doing so well.

jholmes

I think some people don't get how big a deal 500,000 Steam sales is in this short a period of time for a small dev. Good on them.

4 million free downloads on PS+ doesn't mean a lot in comparison. Who even knows if those people are playing it.

Carl

Played it for the first time today and had such a blast. Not laughed so much in a long time and i've pretty much lost my voice from shouting. Fantastic.

PatzCU

Congrats! Absolutely loving his game.

I can't tell if ROcket League should have gone the f2p cosmetic microtransaction route like Dota, TF2 and LoL. I think it's well suited for an arena style competitive multiplayer game with lots of room to customize via $$$ or grindy in game currency. F2P would draw in a much bigger audience as well.

On the other hand I look at a game like CS:GS and think that model could also serve well for Rocket League. Buy in initially plus a lot of cosmetics that randomly drop after matches.

Either way - I hope the devs can find a way to bring in new items and foster competition without barraging players with paid DLC. Perhaps they can figure out a way to efficiently implement user created content.

Boke1879

With 4.5 million downloads for PS4. I really wonder what deal they have worked out for PS+.

No doubt this is a game many will tell their friends and new PS4 owners to buy as well.

Amazing game, best online multiplayer title this year, topping even Splatoon for me, the best PS+ title for the PS4 so far too, incredibly well deserved download/sale numbers.

Whatever DLC they have coming out, I'll be buying it day one.

MUnited83

For you.
Awesome game, well deserved!

I do hope that some crazier maps are planned down the line, it would be pretty cool(for just-fun gameplay, not competitive)

Yudoken

Every other dev: Splitscreen? ON PC? Fuck that!! Have some paid dlc maps :3

RL devs: 4 player splitscreen + online for PC and PS4, also cross-play and every dlc map will be free.

Yeah I can see why it's doing so well.

PC is THE splitscreen machine, it has enough power for multiple instances on multiple screens instances of the game (in high quality), allows almost any input devices in stable framerates and much more.

A bit off topic but I'm currently working with a friend to release an tool to allow up to 4p splitscreen gaming of a bellowed pc shooter (and more games which allow LAN).
And thanks to LAN so you can play with a lot of players if you can get enough pc's/screens/controllers/players (Probably up to 28 player with 7 pc's) in the same place. =D

The Cowboy

Honestly, this isn't my GOTY - this is my MP GOTDecade - i haven't had so much fun in a MP game since my Q3A days.

Congrats RL Devs, you deserve much success and plenty of money showers.

Hedrush

My friend list is packed with people playing this. I gave it a try myself and played for an hour but just couldn't get into it so I deleted it. Now, based on 5m downloads and the praise in this thread I'm gonna download it and try it again as I never really gave it a chance.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
With 4.5 million downloads for PS4. I really wonder what deal they have worked out for PS+.

No doubt this is a game many will tell their friends and new PS4 owners to buy as well.

i'd imagine it's one that would leave them rolling their faces into their desks if not for the steam revenue rolling in. though you could argue those steam numbers would've never happened without everyone and their dog on PS4 raving about it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My friend list is packed with people playing this. I gave it a try myself and played for an hour but just couldn't get into it so I deleted it. Now, based on 5m downloads and the praise in this thread I'm gonna download it and try it again as I never really gave it a chance.

Just get into some online 2v2 or 3v3 matches and have some fun. It'll click, guaranteed.

Wish I had some more time to play it right now. I've only played a couple hours of it and I'm terrible but I can tell it will be fun once I get the hang of it.

t hicks

Banned
This game is incredible. It came completely out of nowhere for me and my friends and now we're playing it every day.

Well done Psyonix! :)

BrunoM

It was Utopia, wasn't it?

lrjmsgB.jpg

I loved that map in SARPBC; something in the design of the new map also reminds me of it.
Its the colors and the outer part of the new one its the same as the old one ..
I to had a blast with that map lol ..

Damn but why can't I stop playing rocket league lol

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ever since the free PS+ games started i've wondered about the deals that are made between Sony and devs regarding payment. do they just get a fraction of the normal amount they would've gotten otherwise or is it just a lump sum up front?

i just hope this was a good move all-around for Psyonix.

I think what they did is brilliant. If they didn't get that word of mouth going from PS+ would they have sold half a million copies on Steam?

Top Bottom