• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: 5 Million+ Downloads

Omega

Banned
It was Utopia, wasn't it?

lrjmsgB.jpg

I loved that map in SARPBC; something in the design of the new map also reminds me of it.

that map was amazing

DavidDesu

I do hope they can improve performance on PS4, maybe focus on it considering the number of players they've got. I have V sync off for the improved responsiveness but of course the screen tear is a little annoying. That's not picking to be honest cos the game is just too damn fun for that to ever really annoy me.

Just give us some worthwhile DLC. I think they should have a topper that simply makes your PSN avatar into a block... I'd love that. With some decent DLC I think they'd make more than enough to reward them for their efforts.

Congratulations to the developer, bloody brilliant game and well played to Sony for giving it us on PS+.

One of the most fun games released on a non Nintendo console this gen by a long way.

Shin-Ra

Sorry Pool Nation FX, that's twice the downloads in < one-third the time!

The game everyone knows for being GwG the last 3 months announced they exceeded 2.5million downloads on Xbox One. Another interesting tidbit was it took 4 days from launch to reach 1 million.

https://twitter.com/cherrypopgames/status/615863516738797568

Curious what similar free games through PS+ or Games with Gold garner in downloads if anyone has more examples(?). Always curious about how many downloads these free games get.

Congrats, Psyonix! Great to see this game is finally a hit. SARPBC was criminally underrated. I've made 8 friends buy the steam version and they are all addicted to it :p

game is super addicting.

quick and easy to play. takes a little dedication to get good. hard to master though.

kinda wis it had more modes or more depth though.

playing 5 minute of 2v2 and 3v3 gets pretty repetitive

Jabba

Banned
ever since the free PS+ games started i've wondered about the deals that are made between Sony and devs regarding payment. do they just get a fraction of the normal amount they would've gotten otherwise or is it just a lump sum up front?

i just hope this was a good move all-around for Psyonix.

That's a lotta freaking downloads.

Don't know how it works either but I remember a developer specifically saying something like, download our game even if you don't play it. S/he was talking about ps plus on ps3.

NastyBook

I think some people don't get how big a deal 500,000 Steam sales is in this short a period of time for a small dev. Good on them.

4 million free downloads on PS+ doesn't mean a lot in comparison. Who even knows if those people are playing it.
There is literally no reason to try this hard to downplay the success of this game on one platform versus another. It makes you look fucking silly.

Damn, that's a lot! Not really all that into competitive games but it seems like this might be good for when friends come over. I'll give this a download.

jjonez18

Op's epic goal crashed my browser.

OT
Rocket League filled a void I never even knew existed in my gaming library. I play it everyday if I can. Hope they add more modes down the line like Demolition or some kind of Death Race.

Tuck

The game is a blast, they deserve every download. I just hope they are getting reasonably compensated for the PS+ downloads.

bounchfx

sigh. I keep being reminded of how fun the game is, and how my playstation 4 took a shit the day i installed it. I'm so tempted to buy it on steam while I wait for my ps4 to be repaired. It's just hard to swallow paying another 20 on top of the 150 to repair the console when the game was free :(

I fucking love this game so much. My roommate has been going nuts for it too. I hear him screaming at the screen in joy or disgust two dozen times a day now. Hahahaha

CLHEetcUYAA-crS.jpg:large
[/QUOTE]

So I keep wondering, who's in the crowd for these games? Is it people watching car soccer (or socCAR) or is it other sentient cars? Who's the fanbase?

FootballFan

So I keep wondering, who's in the crowd for these games? Is it people watching car soccer (or socCAR) or is it other sentient cars? Who's the fanbase?

They're called circle people. They're known as the most passionate supporters in sport.

They paint their whole body in the colour of their team.

#OrangeTilIDie

Devildoll

SteamSpy lists it at 510k on Steam, leaving 4.5 million downloads on PS4.

Steam's data says the player count is hovering at about 20-25k, compared to the game's ingame counter sitting at 140-160k

That ratio (1:7-1:9) would seem to sorta check out.

Vinc

I wonder what kind of deal they worked out with Sony. Are they getting a flat rate for the month on PS+ or do they get a credit from Sony per download? Still incredible numbers to see.

I think Yoshida hinted that it was a per-download rate before. Not sure though. It probably can differ on a per-game basis too.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kinda want to buy PC version to support these guys even though I got PS+ version for free. Is PC version any better graphically?

Have not touched the ps4 version but read after launch that the arenas with grass blades and rain have slowdown. There is no slowdown on my setup, 3rd gen i7 plus r9270x.

Top Bottom