• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: 5 Million+ Downloads

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WeIJ4l1.png

FQqJZar.gif

SteamSpy lists it at 510k on Steam, leaving 4.5 million downloads on PS4.

alba

Little is the new Big
Absolutely deserved. I'm insanely addicted to this game, it's awesome. Just make sure you keep supporting it and improve upon it.

Bsigg12

I wonder what kind of deal they worked out with Sony. Are they getting a flat rate for the month on PS+ or do they get a credit from Sony per download? Still incredible numbers to see.

Codiox

I hope they got a healthy deal out of the ps plus program, because they deserve the money.

What a fucking great game.

LaneDS

Most fun I've had playing a game in years, so good on them.

Hope the free Plus promotion yields success into the future (and I'm pretty positive based on the nearly universal positive word of mouth that it will).

WTF there is no way that MS wont make a exception for this now.

It would be difficult to work out now. I would imagine neither Sony or MS will be willing to allow crossplay with the other and it would be a shame to turn off the PC cross play now.

Cess007

As somone who has barely played anything else but Rocket League in the last month. Congrats guys, the success is well deserved!

Nesther

It's one of the best games of the past few years and a GOTY contender. I'd gladly pay for an expansion pack down the line.

Juicy Bob

Seriously, if you haven't tried this yet and this game has even the slightest appeal to you, just do it.

You really won't regret it.

Literally one of the best fun racing games I've played this year and possibly in life besides burnout.

This is what indie is all about. Congrats!

Intel_89

Had to create a PSN account to have this on my game list, buying a PS4 soon, I can't believe this was the main reason for me to pick one up but it's such a fun game!

Momentary

Banned
Steam getting rocked. No match against that price of free.

Actually the paid price is more impressive to me. 510,000 sales on Steam without a discount. That is pretty crazy. Might have CSGO numbers soon.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They really knocked it out of the park on the hype up and release.

Beta well received on PS4. Hype rising for full release. Game announced for PS+, ensuring a large audience. Cross platform play ensures PC version sells well. Not the mention the game is great.

Like I've said, I rarely play competitive games online but I don't know if a day has gone by in the last few weeks where I haven't played at least one match of Rocketeague.

Congrats guys and the new field looks awesome! Heard someone describe the old maps, one with pirate sails and such, and would love to see ones like that too if just for the novelty.

Mechazawa

Is it really that big an achievement when it's free and auto-downloaded?

Game's been perpetually stuck on the number one spot on Steam for the past 2-3 weeks.

PS Plus doesn't magically make people care about every game. Rocket League is just in it's own tier.

sophies-world

Neo Member
The game is a ton of fun, though I'm getting sick of people quitting matches. I almost exclusively play Ranked 3v3, and even at level 20, the moment my team is up by just 1 or 2 goals, players on the other team quit, or vice-versa. It's quite obnoxious. I rarely finish a game with all 6 members. Even in winning I hate it, why can't people just play to have fun. Why rage quit a game that is literally just soccer with rocket cars?

Also. first post!

tumblr_inline_no7th6184w1r3j7xq_500.gif

I asumme most free games probably get to 500k - 1 mil downloads on ps+ and gwg

But you gotta be some hot sh** to get to 4.5 mill

Great for them. I've REALLY come around on this game and it's probably the best multiplayer game you can play right now.

I was playing at midnight last night with 100k users online. That's amazing.

ever since the free PS+ games started i've wondered about the deals that are made between Sony and devs regarding payment. do they just get a fraction of the normal amount they would've gotten otherwise or is it just a lump sum up front?

i just hope this was a good move all-around for Psyonix.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
ever since the free PS+ games started i've wondered about the deals that are made between Sony and devs regarding payment. do they just get a fraction of the normal amount they would've gotten otherwise or is it just a lump sum up front?

i just hope this was a good move all-around for Psyonix.
The title was planned as a PS+ title the start. Then the beta happened and the reception was great and they reconsidered and wanted to sell standalone.

Then Sony gave a new offer and Psyonix took it.

Top Bottom