• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Soulflarz

Banned
well this game,at least until platinum,never played over that, it's almost 70-80% positioning...a very little percentage of the goals are made because the shot was impossible to save...most of the time it's someone that didn't rotate in defense leaving the goal empty, or foolishly decided to go after a booster insted to go guarding the goal, or something along those lines..but even not considering the defensive aspect,you have several times more chances to score if the team spreads and waits for an assist, instead than all focusing on a single spot on the field or worst actually stealing the ball from your teammate instead of waiting for a pass..

in the end this game is football, and football rules applies,more or less, team work will always trump individualism

Yessir
There are such things as bad luck, but it can almost always be avoided with correct positioning!
So often do diamonds go 'oh wow that 1v2 was unlucky when you missed your shot!' and I'm just mentally thinking "no 1v2 if you just contested the ball after my shot when I was landing but kay~

edit: individualism works if they get greedy on a pass that they randomly want in situations that are impossible, but if it's impossible you can usually sideroll or flick it in because the opponents committed to defending the pass :)

Dat feel when Soulflarz carries you to champ 2...

lowkey taking you to gc then using my smurf for LFT lmao

Must be nice.

Can play 3s with you, idc :V No need to be mean about it ^_^

How likely do i get decryptors? Have 3 crates but no way to open them

Also, can someone please tell me the latest update to the vehicle differences? I remember they had presets but the delorean feels much better than before

What are the types/differences and which vehicles fall into them? Been a long time Since i played

Soulflarz

Banned
Also, can someone please tell me the latest update to the vehicle differences? I remember they had presets but the delorean feels much better than before

What are the types/differences and which vehicles fall into them? Been a long time Since i played

googled
Dirkened wrote:
PRESET CARS

Octane
Octane, Octane ZSR, Takumi, Takumi RX-T, Marauder, Scarab, Merc, Backfire, Road Hog, Road Hog XL, Gizmo, Proteus, Triton, Grog, Zippy, Bone Shaker, Vulcan, Hogsticker, Armadillo

Dominus
Dominus, Dominus GT, Ice Charger, Aftershock, DeLorean, Masamune, Ripper, Hotshot, Triton

Plank
Batmobile, Matnis, Paladin, Centio, Twin Mill

Breakout
Breakout, Breakout Type S, Animus GP

Hybrid
Venom, X-Devil, Endo, Esper, Jäger 619 RS

couuuld be mildly off, but hey, it's p accurate probs!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Can play 3s with you, idc :V No need to be mean about it ^_^

Didn't intend to come across as mean honestly. Maybe my overall grouch level has been elevated lately. I know I've been quite frustrated that I've been stuck at diamond 3 for a while. I can't quite reach champ yet.

Soulflarz

Banned
Didn't intend to come across as mean honestly. Maybe my overall grouch level has been elevated lately. I know I've been quite frustrated that I've been stuck at diamond 3 for a while. I can't quite reach champ yet.

tons to improve on then, don't worry about rank tbh

oxrock

I was on vacation the week after you added me and couldn't play the one time you asked then you deleted me. If you're that salty about scheduling I can only imagine what you're like in game.

I wasn't salty then, still not now. I simply concluded that we wouldn't be playing together being as you declined every time that I asked. I just don't like having people I don't actually play with on on friends list, it wasn't personal at all. I'm sorry you were so offended by it, I didn't know it'd bother you so much.

I wasn't salty then, still not now. I simply concluded that we wouldn't be playing together being as you declined every time that I asked. I just don't like having people I don't actually play with on on friends list, it wasn't personal at all. I'm sorry you were so offended by it, I didn't know it'd bother you so much.
I only remember you asking me once. Either way, apology accepted.

o_O

This isn't the chat box, love each other.

I've been floating on Plat III, division III and IV. It hurts. I want diamonddd. Pretty sure this is where I belong though. My game IQ has gotten higher but I still have a lot of technical stuff to work out.

Bollocks

So wait, I'm platinum 2 and just won 12 games while the gold icon was visible at the end, does that mean I already got the platinum reward for this season? because my wins don't register anymore and it says I need to be diamond to advance?

I thought I have to have 12 wins in platinum to get the platinum reward?

So wait, I'm platinum 2 and just won 12 games while the gold icon was visible at the end, does that mean I already got the platinum reward for this season? because my wins don't register anymore and it says I need to be diamond to advance?

I thought I have to have 12 wins in platinum to get the platinum reward?

Yeah you should be good, especially if it says you need to be diamond to advance. I'll check mine when I get home tonight. I have the diamond reward and if I get lucky might be able to get champ rewards before the season end (I'm mostly D2 right now).

88random

Holy shit, today I feel like a god. I went something like 25-2 across all ranked playlists and had an amazing win streak. In the end I lost a 1v2 because team mate was salty because we were 1 goal behind 2 minutes before the end of the match.

Easy enough to get. Cool that it's universal as well. Hope they make more like it,

Yeah grabbed it asap. Didn't know it was universal to be honest since it looks awesome on Octane anyway. It's also the only decal where the paint wraps round to the bottom side. (If this is a bug please don't fix this one!)

It seems to have a brighter shade of white than most decals for some reason too. Almost matches my loopers.

Kind of bummed that there is no Halloween boost I can get with candy corn. Honestly I think this system would have been better if you could get all non-painted items with candy corn. Just make the goal explosions 500 or something if you have to, at least then I could grind for them. I like the event idea and I'm glad to have a currency to grind for but there is definitely room for improvement.

Unicorn

I mean, the crate is 50 corn - but they also drop. Decrypter key is 40 or 50. So you can get 3 free crate opens.

I agree though. Fuck holiday items being behind crates. Sole reason I stopped playing overwatch and only reason I put up with it in rocket league is because I was already invested in the gameplay (300+ hours by the time crates were introduced).

I mean, the crate is 50 corn - but they also drop. Decrypter key is 40 or 50. So you can get 3 free crate opens.

I agree though. Fuck holiday items being behind crates. Sole reason I stopped playing overwatch and only reason I put up with it in rocket league is because I was already invested in the gameplay (300+ hours by the time crates were introduced).
Yeah I opened 3 crates. Got Grimalkin (will never use) and two rare decals. I'd much rather grind 500 or so candy corn for something cool like the bat explosion.

You can buy Halloween crates with real money.

Edit* Just saw you said "those crates" so i won't judge you too much

I know. The unopened crates that cost 2.50 have a 7 day trade lock on the items you unbox. It's like using a new key. That's fine if you just want items but if get a valuable item that you'd rather trade that value will drop a ton in 7 days making it less worth opening that crate.

I still think you are better off using candy corn for crates or even buying them off other people. It will be just as cheap and buying an unlocked box(cheaper as boxes drop) and will have no trade timer.

Finally parted with my Endo and the MG-88 skin plus a handful of crates to get the Jager, very much liking it so far, but still thinking about buying the F&F Skyline. Also ended up with a few Accelerator Crates too from another trade, I opened one up and got Hellfire certified Scorer. Might as well never open another crate as I used up all my luck there, can anyone estimate the value of that (on PS4)?

Unfortunately nothing out of the Halloween event I am very interested in, guess it is a blessing in disguise since it'll all skyrocket in value once the event is over. Does anyone know if A) Decryptors have to be used on the Halloween crates, and B) Can Halloween crates bought with candy corn be traded? If so I might just grind them out to trade for some Accelerator items.

Heatwave value went back up? Coulda sworn that was near worthless at one point. By the way is there a value calculator for crates? I have 18 Nitro, 24 Overdrive, 12 PCC, 14 Turbo and 7 more between CC1 2 and 3. Tempted to sell but trying to work out what to ask for. I figure in a bundle that size it's going to be discounted but to what value I have no idea.

Edit: Holy shit I finally hit Diamond.

Soulflarz

Banned
Heatwave value went back up? Coulda sworn that was near worthless at one point. By the way is there a value calculator for crates? I have 18 Nitro, 24 Overdrive, 12 PCC, 14 Turbo and 7 more between CC1 2 and 3. Tempted to sell but trying to work out what to ask for. I figure in a bundle that size it's going to be discounted but to what value I have no idea.

Edit: Holy shit I finally hit Diamond.

heatwaves never really dropped THAT much iirc
usually been 20-40 throughout its lifetime, obv at the low end now

heatwaves never really dropped THAT much iirc
usually been 20-40 throughout its lifetime, obv at the low end now

Huh, I thought Heatwave went to well under 20 some time around when 20xx came out, though I'm likely remembering wrong. I know I sold mine just before it since I had a feeling that and Hexed were gonna crumble in price. Was right about one at least lol

The Amazing Spider-Mantis
W0M2UJT.png

Bought this game a few days ago and really enjoying it with friends. In the past 2 days it has gone offline so many times and is offline now. Is this the usual?

After doing some 2s and 3s and getting them both up to Diamond 3, I went back to Solo 3s for the first time in forever. Just to grind out silver/gold/plat rewards. I don't know if I just got lucky or if solo 3s isn't as terrible as it once was. I used to stall out at a lower rank than my normal 3s even though I only solo queue there. But this time I shot right up to Diamond 3, Div 4. I had a few setbacks though so I didn't quite make champ and then server maintenance hit, but all of a sudden Solo 3s seems like the easiest place to do it. Am I crazy?

I've also been working on 'flicks' in practice between games, just because Soulflarz keeps going on about them in this thread. I think I'm finally getting the basics. It took me a bit to figure out that I want to do a little pop when the ball is slowly landing onto my car and then the big flick the next time it comes down. Before I was more trying to get the ball flat on my car first which actually isn't the greatest position to do stuff from it seems. Still getting a feel for it though. It also seems more like a 2s technique than a 3s technique. At my current rank and ability I don't think anyone is going to sit around long enough for me to beat them with it.

I think it will pay off more in the long run than other techniques I've deliberately tried to learn. I spent a lot of time figuring out the Kuxir twist and I don't think I've ever really applied it in a game. And for all the time I've spent learning wall to air dribbles I've maybe gotten 2 goals out of that move.

Speaking of which I still suck at launching off the wall in general, and especially for defensive purposes. I see a ton of players that clear balls confidently that I pretty much can't.

I guess that's the nice thing about Rocket League, always something to try to get better at.

oxrock

After doing some 2s and 3s and getting them both up to Diamond 3, I went back to Solo 3s for the first time in forever. Just to grind out silver/gold/plat rewards. I don't know if I just got lucky or if solo 3s isn't as terrible as it once was. I used to stall out at a lower rank than my normal 3s even though I only solo queue there. But this time I shot right up to Diamond 3, Div 4. I had a few setbacks though so I didn't quite make champ and then server maintenance hit, but all of a sudden Solo 3s seems like the easiest place to do it. Am I crazy?

I've also been working on 'flicks' in practice between games, just because Soulflarz keeps going on about them in this thread. I think I'm finally getting the basics. It took me a bit to figure out that I want to do a little pop when the ball is slowly landing onto my car and then the big flick the next time it comes down. Before I was more trying to get the ball flat on my car first which actually isn't the greatest position to do stuff from it seems. Still getting a feel for it though. It also seems more like a 2s technique than a 3s technique. At my current rank and ability I don't think anyone is going to sit around long enough for me to beat them with it.

I think it will pay off more in the long run than other techniques I've deliberately tried to learn. I spent a lot of time figuring out the Kuxir twist and I don't think I've ever really applied it in a game. And for all the time I've spent learning wall to air dribbles I've maybe gotten 2 goals out of that move.

Speaking of which I still suck at launching off the wall in general, and especially for defensive purposes. I see a ton of players that clear balls confidently that I pretty much can't.

I guess that's the nice thing about Rocket League, always something to try to get better at.

The flick in general is part of your dribbling arsenal and is therefore more utilized in 2's as opposed to threes. Powerful skill to have on command regardless. I need to get back to practicing this myself. It's a skill I've neglected so long that it's incredibly diminished. As for defensive wall clears, it's mostly about timing. Just have to practice hitting the ball JUST after it has bounced off the wall. As far as solo standard goes, it's always been hell for me personally but to each their own.

Well that's what I'm saying, it was hell. And I avoided it. But now all of a sudden it's fine. Could just be luck.

And I can clear the ball off the wall ok. Maybe I said that wrong. I mean jumping off the wall to aerial it. Say the ball is popped up maybe 3-4 car lengths away from the wall above the goal. That sort of thing. It's getting pretty common for me to see people clearing those consistently in Diamond 3. Whereas I have maybe a 1 in 4 chance of hitting any given ball like that when I go for it. I can tell part of my problem is I need to either launch earlier or slow down as I tend to miss over the top of the ball a lot of the time.

I probably need to hunt down a training scenario for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
The flick in general is part of your dribbling arsenal and is therefore more utilized in 2's as opposed to threes. Powerful skill to have on command regardless. I need to get back to practicing this myself. It's a skill I've neglected so long that it's incredibly diminished. As for defensive wall clears, it's mostly about timing. Just have to practice hitting the ball JUST after it has bounced off the wall. As far as solo standard goes, it's always been hell for me personally but to each their own.

flicks are basically essential in 3s also- they aren't used often because if everyones at the same level the situations don't come up often, but when youre given the space and theyre deep, its always a great option to have.

Top Bottom