• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Rumble Update out Today. Trading/Crates/Mac/Steam OS Betas

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
You see "possible contents", a list of items with different tiers of rarity all potentially in that crate. I think this is similar to how DOTA does it? No idea if dupes are allowed, but if they are, that'd be even worse.

You can see what you could possibly get.
It's the same as a CS crate.

Except you can't sell your duplicates or buy items individually in the market. So it's worse.

Bleh. Well that's crummy.

Bert

Loving this, great fun.

On the crate system, yeah it's not great, bit literally every other RL thread is full of "I can't believe I get so much game for my money" I can't begrudge them it. This is the way you use microtransactions if you have to: as a cosmetic extra on too of a whole bunch of content. I'll be chucking a couple of quid their way and I never buy keys or points or anything.

MattDoza

There's probably never going to be a Giant Bomb flag, is there? Duders aren't really too into the game to generate the interest to get one added.

Got Shibuya for my Breakout, which is a blessing and a curse. Great skin, but now I need to make a new pre-set and find a new topper/antennae to go with it. RIP Mariachi skin, you were THE BEST

Presets are EXACTLY what I wanted, that and per-team toppers/antennae/wheels is PERFECT, I can finally have a kickin Mariachi theme for BOTH red and blue team!

Best multiplayer game continues to get better

There's probably never going to be a Giant Bomb flag, is there? Duders aren't really too into the game to generate the interest to get one added.

I think Jason is the only one who continuously plays, unfortunately. I'd love to see another East v West best of 5 or something.

Wow, Psyonix forcing people to pay real money for random content, otherwise fuck you, you can't get it by playing our game.

I didn't think they would stoop this low. First miss by them with Rocket League.

Unicorn

I believe they addressed it during a podcast saying it was an ethical issue of endorsing the product or something to that affect.

Wow, Psyonix forcing people to pay real money for random content, otherwise fuck you, you can't get it by playing our game.

I didn't think they would stoop this low. First miss by them with Rocket League.

I wonder what percent is paid to prize pools. I'm okay with this aspect of paid content because it means the community will benefit by larger tournament pools. having continuous income through lottery items is grimey, but the bottom line benefits the community, so I'll take it if it means continued RL tournaments with players able to live off winnings.

I believe they addressed it during a podcast saying it was an ethical issue of endorsing the product or something to that affect.

I wonder what percent is paid to prize pools. I'm okay with this aspect of paid content because it means the community will benefit by larger tournament pools. having continuous income through lottery items is grimey, but the bottom line benefits the community, so I'll take it if it means continued RL tournaments with players able to live off winnings.

When you say "benefits the community" do you mean the 0.1% that actually win money by playing Rocket League?

Seriously question. I'm not sure how forcing people to pay real money for items in a random box benefits the community.

Unicorn

When you say "benefits the community" do you mean the 0.1% that actually win money by playing Rocket League?

Seriously question. I'm not sure how forcing people to pay real money for items in a random box benefits the community.

Yes, only a handful see the money enter their pockets, but the tournaments drive community involvement and engage players in discussion of plays, players, tactics, meta, and homegrown tournaments so people can rise up and strive to winner bigger pots directly supported by Psyonix. It's why fighting games are able to survive for decade or more. Without money being put into tournaments, what point is there for players to compete at a higher level than neighborhood games. It provides an avenue for people to advance the game and keep it in the public's eye.

You're only forced to drop money if you want to be a completionist.. but you can trade for items without keys - that market will iron itself out once more items enter the fray and demand for certain items change. There's an economy now with trading - which, that alone may leave a bad taste in your mouth - but, that's an aspect that also drives a community to thrive. Why else has TF2 lived so long as a community game?

Yes, only a handful see the money enter their pockets, but the tournaments drive community involvement and engage players in discussion of plays, players, tactics, meta, and homegrown tournaments so people can rise up and strive to winner bigger pots directly supported by Psyonix. It's why fighting games are able to survive for decade or more. Without money being put into tournaments, what point is there for players to compete at a higher level than neighborhood games. It provides an avenue for people to advance the game and keep it in the public's eye.

You're only forced to drop money if you want to be a completionist.. but you can trade for items without keys - that market will iron itself out once more items enter the fray and demand for certain items change. There's an economy now with trading - which, that alone may leave a bad taste in your mouth - but, that's an aspect that also drives a community to thrive. Why else has TF2 lived so long as a community game?

Once again, though...Isnt that trading market for people that spend money on keys for random items? How do I benefit from that trading market if I don't spend real money on random items?

Its the entire practice. You are forcing people to pay money for random items, and implementing a trading market as a meta to entice people to pay for these random items to be part of that community. I find that shady. You may be fine with it because it pays the 0.1% of people that win money, but I'm part of the 99.9% that hate being locked out of content and a meta because I don't like being taken advantage of.

That's just my opinion on it. Its not like DLC. DLC is straight forward, I know what I'm getting if I purchase DLC. I have no clue what I'm getting when I drop real money on a key. This really plummeted Psyonix down my list of devs that I respect. Not that they care about that, and they shouldn't.

Unicorn

There are still random item drops outside of the ~30 items behind crates. You can trade the freely earned items and crates for premium items or keys to open your own crates. That system is what allows all players to enter the economy.

Once again, though...Isnt that trading market for people that spend money on keys for random items? How do I benefit from that trading market if I don't spend real money on random items?

Its the entire practice. You are forcing people to pay money for random items, and implementing a trading market as a meta to entice people to pay for these random items to be part of that community. I find that shady. You may be fine with it because it pays the 0.1% of people that win money, but I'm part of the 99.9% that hate being locked out of content and a meta because I don't like being taken advantage of.

That's just my opinion on it. Its not like DLC. DLC is straight forward, I know what I'm getting if I purchase DLC. I have no clue what I'm getting when I drop real money on a key. This really plummeted Psyonix down my list of devs that I respect. Not that they care about that, and they shouldn't.

The amount of money they make from this is exponentially more than they make from item flat item DLC which by the way they are still releasing. A fraction of this goes to e-sports and the rest go to these fine devs who have given a years worth of mostly free updates and continue to. They are getting so much shit for two optional cosmetic crates when they are including an awesome free game mode and a ton of quality of life features the community has been asking for. If you check that box you still get a lot of free stuff. If you don't want to open cases save them up and trade them for stuff to people who do.

Majukun

the new mode is real fun...but i'm not touching that whole "key and crates" system even with a 3 meters pole,rather disappointed to see this shit here too

meshwork

Coloured wheels are free rare items that drop by playing. I would, no joke, trade several keys or crate items for a single set of coloured wheels that I like, because they drop so damn rarely. Not to mention that if you want a specific colour of a specific wheel type, your chances of getting them as a rare drop are almost astronomically small. Got some coloured wheels? Congratulations, you can officially enter the "real money paid" trading community with no problems.

Just because there are paid items doesn't mean the free rare drops are not desirable trades for people.

Eridani

There are a couple of things you should consider before immediately getting outraged about this:

1.) No one is forcing anyone to pay money. That's an absurd thing to say. Psyonix even went a step further by allowing you to disable the chest notifications and just ignore the whole thing. You won't get all the content, but this was already the case. I'm never going to get all the rare non-chest cosmetics or the season rewards. The same holds true with the new drops, except...

2.) The trading system actually lets you buy those items directly! You can buy keys and trade them for whatever you want. I see plenty of people doing that. You have to spend real money, but you have to spend real money for DLC too. It removes the randomness that you seem to be so upset about. Or, as meshwork says, trade non-chest rare drops for keys.

3.) It doesn't just benefit the "0.1% of people that win money". These kinds of systems make developers a huge amount of money, which lets them support the game with more free updates in the future. I'd much prefer that then seeing the game abandoned because it isn't profitable enough, or to see them monetize the game by locking away content that actually matters.

You (and everyone else outraged about this) really need to cool down a bit. At worst, it's just some new items you will never get, not unlike all the other rare cosmetics currently in the game. That really shouldn't be enough to get you to hate the devs this much.

A-V-B

There are a couple of things you should consider before immediately getting outraged about this:

1.) No one is forcing anyone to pay money. That's an absurd thing to say. Psyonix even went a step further by allowing you to disable the chest notifications and just ignore the whole thing. You won't get all the content, but this was already the case. I'm never going to get all the rare non-chest cosmetics or the season rewards. The same holds true with the new drops, except...

2.) The trading system actually lets you buy those items directly! You can buy keys and trade them for whatever you want. I see plenty of people doing that. You have to spend real money, but you have to spend real money for DLC too. It removes the randomness that you seem to be so upset about. Or, as meshwork says, trade non-chest rare drops for keys.

3.) It doesn't just benefit the "0.1% of people that win money". These kinds of systems make developers a huge amount of money, which lets them support the game with more free updates in the future. I'd much prefer that then seeing the game abandoned because it isn't profitable enough, or to see them monetize the game by locking away content that actually matters.

You (and everyone else outraged about this) really need to cool down a bit. At worst, it's just some new items you will never get, not unlike all the other rare cosmetics currently in the game. That really shouldn't be enough to get you to hate the devs this much.

Where Were You When Horse Armor Dropped? News at eleven as we look back at the history of DLC and its steady inclusion into the industry.

Opened my one crate I've gotten so far, got lightning wheels. Pretty happy with that I guess.

The fact that there are alt car bodies in the crates is REALLY cool.

Eridani

Where Were You When Horse Armor Dropped? News at eleven as we look back at the history of DLC and its steady inclusion into the industry.

Not quite sure I get your point.

Man I'm fiending to play, but the patch completely destroyed the frame rate on xbox

The hotfix is currently in the certification process:
UPDATE 2 (5:28pm PDT): We've identified the specific issue connected to the Xbox framerate drop. Because all versions need to be the same to support cross-network play, we must now go through the standard certification process on all three platforms before the hotfix can be released. This could take a few days because of the upcoming weekend, hence the "sometime next week," timeframe.

Source

Ran rp

Man I'm fiending to play, but the patch completely destroyed the frame rate on xbox

I just decided to turn off vsync on PS4 to see what the performance would be like and it was a complete shitshow. The game runs at like 15fps and there's tearing EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE. Even though I turned vsync back on the game wouldn't go back to normal until I restarted it. It was bizarre. Did it 2-3 times.

I haven't really read about the Xbox issues today but I'm assuming the framerate is as bad as that.

Top Bottom