• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocko's Modern Life Netflix movie will feature a prominent trans story arc

HUELEN10

I saw it. I thought the episode was great, and it was just about change and dealing with change. Rachel was just a small part of those changes. I suggest watching it. Honestly, it’s kinda weird that they are pushing the Rachel bit so much when her gender identity isn’t the main point of the story, it’s about Rocko learning that “now” matters.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
The same show with innuendos about being gay grossing everyone out? Cmoooon now.

One of my favorite shows as a kid doesn't need to be woke. I wanna stay sleep forever.

Edit: ok I'm an idiot it says it right there in article. Did I misremember? I could of swore Rocko said he liked rainbows and everyone got grossed out. Hmmm don't want to sound like an ass. I'll watch for myself.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
From reading the article it’s something the creator wanted to include. So why not?
This only applies when people value freedom of artistic expression. Unfortunately people, and especially the type of people this stuff bothers, can't stand that type of freedom. Not when the artist uses this freedom to express "politics" they don't like.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
lmao fuck off

From reading the article it’s something the creator wanted to include. So why not?
That's why Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon was so good right?

This only applies when people value freedom of artistic expression. Unfortunately people, and especially the type of people this stuff bothers, can't stand that type of freedom. Not when the artist uses this freedom to express "politics" they don't like.
You just described yourself. It's ok when it's your politics.

brap

Banned
Not interested in kids cartoons.
No offense but you're like the last person on here I'd expect to say that lmao.

That the people making it had creative freedom? Perhaps so.
John K. was able to do whatever he wanted and it was a shitfest. The Star Wars prequels were also a shitfest. Just because the creator wants something doesn't mean they should get it.

iconmaster

Banned
And My Little Pony (!) is introducing a lesbian couple. It's never too early to start on today's kids, apparently.

The good news is, old tv shows and movies haven't disappeared. Families can still watch them.

DKehoe

Gold Member
John K. was able to do whatever he wanted and it was a shitfest. The Star Wars prequels were also a shitfest. Just because the creator wants something doesn't mean they should get it.

Perhaps, there’s a balance to be struck for sure in terms of a singular vision vs taking on board the suggestions of others. But this isn’t even out yet so may as well wait and see how it turns out.

Sleepydays

Banned
"Nick Adams, GLAAD’s director of transgender representation who consulted on Static Cling, tells EW over email how important it is to show LGBTQ people existing in the world. "

Grift on, grifter.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Huh? It's called 'Rocko's Modern Life', isn't it?

Who cares. I remember people who thought the original cartoons (Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy in particular) were offensive and pushed bad messages. I mean...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

These have always been adult cartoons masquerading as kids shows.

brap

Banned
Huh? It's called 'Rocko's Modern Life', isn't it?

Who cares. I remember people who thought the original cartoons (Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy in particular) were offensive and pushed bad messages. I mean...

giphy.gif

These have always been adult cartoons masquerading as kids shows.
STOP IT ALREADY. This gif is from fucking adult party cartoon and everybody keeps posting it acting like it's from the original nickelodeon show.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rocko's creators/editors have talent, having trans in it is someones headache but not mine.

Papa

Banned

Is it really artistic freedom if they’re doing it to appease an ideology? I don’t know if it’s the case here as I haven’t seen it but this seemed like specious reasoning. It’s like a creator 20 years ago “choosing” to include a rebellious teenager finding God. Yeah, creative freedom, sure.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Is it really artistic freedom if they’re doing it to appease an ideology? I don’t know if it’s the case here as I haven’t seen it but this seemed like specious reasoning. It’s like a creator 20 years ago “choosing” to include a rebellious teenager finding God. Yeah, creative freedom, sure.

At this point all we have to go on is him saying it’s something he wanted to include. So people can take that at face value or not. Personally I don’t see any reason not to. I don’t see why the initial assumption should be that it’s being done to appease anyone else. But if you feel it’s a cynical ploy then that’s fine too. I don’t want to act like my personal interpretation has to be the right one. I just think it can’t hurt to give the benefit of the doubt. To be honest I’m not that personally invested though. I watched and enjoyed the show when I was a kid but there’s so many other shows out there these days that I doubt I’ll check out these new episodes unless I hear amazing things about them.

brap

Banned
lmao

Murray: Yeah, I’m curious. I took my daughter, my 10 year old daughter, to the screening last week, and she said, “You’re going to get some flak for this.” And I said, “How so? How do you feel?” And she said, “That maybe you did this as a bit of a gimmick.” And I said, “Yeah, well, we didn’t. We tried really hard not to do that, and I think it’s a real … ” I mean, I can’t … whatever people say, there’s going to be those who … I’m assuming we’re going to get people who are purists, who don’t like the change.

Sleepydays

Banned
I've always wondered about this. Is a consultant nowadays necessary in order to make something acceptable when it comes to stuff like this? I liked Rocko back in the day.

"He - I mean SHE - should wear a dress and eyeshadow now. Now if you'll just give me my giant sack with a '$' on it, I need to go 'consult' on another kids show: Jessica Yaniv is going to be on Sesame Street, showing Abby how to use a tampon."

CeroFrio996

Banned
And My Little Pony (!) is introducing a lesbian couple. It's never too early to start on today's kids, apparently.

The good news is, old tv shows and movies haven't disappeared. Families can still watch them.

Thing is, why does a lesbian couple have to be any different from a straight one? A couple is a couple is a couple.

Who cares if a cartoon show teaches some children that their friends can have two mommies? Why is that such a horrible, corrupting image?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's why Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon was so good right?
Wasn't the creator a potatoephile?
Thing is, why does a lesbian couple have to be any different from a straight one? A couple is a couple is a couple.

Who cares if a cartoon show teaches some children that their friends can have two mommies? Why is that such a horrible, corrupting image?
Do they act differently in a show made for kids? I know real life lesbians and outside being gay they are loving everyday people no different from other couples. Then there are others that are just as shit as regular couples but you get my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

brap

Banned

Do they act differently in a show made for kids? I know real life lesbians and outside being gay they are loving everyday people no different from other couples. Then there are others that are just as shit as regular couples but you get my point.
I think he fucked some underage teen girls that were living with him or something. I can't remember if there was proof. Also what retard lets their kid go live with some dude?

iconmaster

Banned

This would have to be its own thread; but mainly, I think you’re assuming what the ponies are trying to prove.

CeroFrio996

Banned

I dont fucking know. All I know is that gay ponies is apparently bad.

MetalAlien

Banned
That being gay is normal, natural, and seen in various other mammals? They we shouldn't treat people like a secret that should be hidden for something they have no power to change?
How about treating being straight as normal natural and seen in various other mammals? Cause apparently society has to pick one.

CeroFrio996

Banned
How about treating being straight as normal natural and seen in various other mammals? Cause apparently society has to pick one.
Really? You're going to act like being straight isn't socially acceptable and that gay people haven't been treated as mentally ill people? How many straight couples can you name from kids shows? Implied couples? Romantic interests? If it's okay for children to see that shit what makes gay/ lesbian couples so damned problematic?

MetalAlien

Banned
Really? You're going to act like being straight isn't socially acceptable and that gay people haven't been treated as mentally ill people? How many straight couples can you name from kids shows? Implied couples? Romantic interests? If it's okay for children to see that shit what makes gay/ lesbian couples so damned problematic?

Ha so being straight is shit now? Being gay is harmless but it's not normal, never will be. You must be not be paying attention if you don't see the assault on being heterosexual going on in the world right now.

So why are you taking this seriously?

The war to normalize a kink continues.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
So why are you taking this seriously?
You're supposed to take it seriously. Are you dense? The creator put it in as a statement. It's not put in to be laughed at like spunky humping a broom or some stupid butt jokes that kids love.

Body disphoria isn't a kink for the person who has it.

giphy.gif
OH WOW SEXUAL INNUENDO THAT'S EXACTLY THE SAME AS SOME FROG CHANGING IT'S GENDER
Further proof that being trans is a meme these days. It's literally the new emo, goth, etc. FUCK YOU DAD IM A WOMAN NOW!!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You're supposed to take it seriously. Are you dense? The creator put it in as a statement. It's not put in to be laughed at like spunky humping a broom or some stupid butt jokes that kids love.
Like the Big Head gay allegory in the original? Stop getting so triggered at a weird TV show doing what they want to do.

Top Bottom