• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocko's Modern Life Netflix movie will feature a prominent trans story arc

brap

Banned
Like the Big Head gay allegory in the original? Stop getting so triggered at a weird TV show doing what they want to do.
Sorry, I haven't watched this children's cartoon since I was a kid. If they made that episode today he'd be buttfucking another male frog in front of his wife. No allegory to be found here. Subtle in modern day? lol no. Also it's a children's cartoon. We're not talking about Family Guy here. But sorry I'll stop having an opinion. I forget it's not cool to have an opinion on anything these days.

Geki-D

Banned
You just described yourself. It's ok when it's your politics.
Prove it. Surely you have an example in mind if you're saying that. Or you're just being a bratty kid saying "No U"? So many people on GAF seem to think "NO U" is a valid counter argument.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

Banned
Ha so being straight is shit now? Being gay is harmless but it's not normal, never will be. You must be not be paying attention if you don't see the assault on being heterosexual going on in the world right now.

No one said anything degrading being straight. The people attacking sexuality aren't the ones that want kids to about learn and normalize gay and lesbian people.

The war to normalize a kink continues.

Trans isn't a kink. Cross dressing may be, though it depends on the person. Trans people aren't dressing as the opposite sex to get their rocks off, that old BS needs to die out already. Trans people are dressing that way because it makes them feel right about their own bodies.

Sorry, I haven't watched this children's cartoon since I was a kid. If they made that episode today he'd be buttfucking another male frog in front of his wife. No allegory to be found here. Subtle in modern day? lol no. Also it's a children's cartoon. We're not talking about Family Guy here. But sorry I'll stop having an opinion. I forget it's not cool to have an opinion on anything these days.

If you think it's okay for straightness to be represented in children's television then gayness should be no different. Being gay isn't inherently sexual or sexualizing. It's already been pointed out that various children's show's have made some pretty overtly sexual jokes for a LONG time. Kids don't notice because they're kids, but it's funny (or horrifying) for the adults in the room.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Small part in the episode. Pretty good episode but so short def brought back some memories. Can’t wait for invader zim
Invader Zim's story arc will probably be about him experimenting with shoving human toys up his ass to teach kids how to pleasure themselves.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Seems fine (If a little on the nose). Just teaching kids about acceptance and shit.

Just as long as it's not like "Hey kids! You should become trans because it's cool to have dysphoria!"

John K. was able to do whatever he wanted and it was a shitfest. The Star Wars prequels were also a shitfest. Just because the creator wants something doesn't mean they should get it.

That's a terrible take and it's the exact same reasoning used by a certain demographic demanding for changes to be implemented in a game.

oagboghi2

This only applies when people value freedom of artistic expression. Unfortunately people, and especially the type of people this stuff bothers, can't stand that type of freedom. Not when the artist uses this freedom to express "politics" they don't like.
Pot meet kettle?

If you think it's okay for straightness to be represented in children's television then gayness should be no different. Being gay isn't inherently sexual or sexualizing. It's already been pointed out that various children's show's have made some pretty overtly sexual jokes for a LONG time. Kids don't notice because they're kids, but it's funny (or horrifying) for the adults in the room.
What nonsense is this?

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Pot meet kettle?
Another "NO U"? Could you stroppy children actually show me hating on a game because I don't like the "politics" the devs decided to put in it? See, when you say something like "pot calling the kettle black" it generally means you know what the fuck you're talking about and know of an example. Of course I know you don't. You're just blurting out nonsense because I triggered the fuck out of you and Brap, like the delicate snowflakes you are.

What nonsense is this?
Go on then, tell us why merely having gay characters in something is sexual or sexualizing. In fact please tell us why the mere fact of being gay or trans is even political.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I never was a big fan of the original show, but I watched the original episode where Ralph was introduced and then followed it up with the new special.

I was disappointed that they didn't have the voice actor for Rachel even try to sound more feminine, but that's fine. The callback of Mr Bighead yelling "I have no daughter!" instead of son in a different context was a nice touch, and I'm glad the family got closer by the end.

Last edited:

Rran

Longtime Rocko fan here, just watched the special. There are some minor SPOILERS in this post for those who still haven't seen it but are interested.

I'll address the elephant in the room that this thread's about first (and this is the main spoiler stuff)--a large part of the second half of the episode involves Ralph Bighead (now known as Rachel Bighead) and Ed Bighead's strained relationship. Ed has trouble coming to terms with Ralph/Rachel's transition. What I like about this story is that it doesn't really demonize Ed or make him into a ridiculous strawman, which would've been easy since Ed has frequently been the antagonist of classic Rocko shows. He's got a pretty layered portrayal here and his arc makes enough sense.

I think Ralph becoming Rachel isn't a bad idea either (even if it screws with the "still life" canon a bit). What I took more issue with is the weird "reverence" this otherwise-irreverent series takes when exploring this concept. When Rachel comes out (literally and figuratively) from the ice cream truck, all Heffer and Filburt say is "Cool!" "That...is...awesome!" which feels...odd. It sounds like pandering, not like two characters we've known since the '90s (and storywise, have been stuck in the '90s).

Rocko's always had moments of sincerity, but it's usually underneath layers of zaniness, and a few of the Rachel storyline's moments lack that zing and start to feel like an after-school special. Reading interviews afterward revealed that there was a GLAAD member helping with some of that storyline or something, so that kind of explains it. The walking on eggshells was tonally off for this show.

They do tie it rather neatly into an overarching plot about "change," though, and even use Rocko as one of the characters resistant to said change, so it usually doesn't feel overtly one-sided or pushy.

There's plenty of Rocko-ness to be found elsewhere though, including a few hidden dirty jokes (including probably the dirtiest Rocko joke near the end) but thankfully no Adult Party Cartoon nonsense--this could reasonably air on Nickelodeon today with no issue. It was consistently funny although one or two really manic, creative set pieces would've been great. One of the best extended jokes to me was the poke at CGI specials and reboots (complete with a ridiculous visual), even if it feels a little off from the "change is okay" theme. And they managed to stuff just about every recurring character in here somewhere, with a few fun twists (like Heffer's Grandpa).

Overall, I liked the special. There were some odd moments and Mr. Dupette continues to be more gross than funny, and the Fathead baby kinda sucked (Rocko was totally right with that one), but all in all a welcome return to O-Town.

Last edited:
I think Ralph becoming Rachel isn't a bad idea either (even if it screws with the "still life" canon a bit). What I took more issue with is the weird "reverence" this otherwise-irreverent series takes when exploring this concept. When Rachel comes out (literally and figuratively) from the ice cream truck, all Heffer and Filburt say is "Cool!" "That...is...awesome!" which feels...odd. It sounds like pandering, not like two characters we've known since the '90s (and storywise, have been stuck in the '90s).
You're quite right about that. Also what struck me as odd was how Mrs. Bighead thought shoes would be something Rachel likes. Other than that, the jabs at modern culture were funny and the "bringing back an old cartoon isn't going to solve your problems" line was quite self-aware/on the nose.

Last edited:
Joe Cool on EW said:
Nobody cares, cupcake. You and the rest of the nice church ladies can watch Pat Robertson’s shriveled corpse babble about the end times on the 700 Club until your eyes bleed.

BFD on EW said:
Oh Carol, you're kids are already gay and you're a nasty horrible person.

Good lord these people are disgusting.

I'm all for peace and love and harmony and all that jazz, but it's a kids' show. I don't care if it's a frog or an iguana, kids don't need to be educated on what "LGBT" means, I don't care if it's a frog or an iguana.

When I was 4 or 5 years old I was watching Rocko's Modern Life. In school around that time I used to eat rocks and drink glue...

Like the Big Head gay allegory in the original? Stop getting so triggered at a weird TV show doing what they want to do.

Yes, how dare he get upset and criticize a kids' show for having adult themes in it (that is blatantly obvious and not a sexually ambiguous innuendo thrown in at the adults' expense)? Nah, REEEEEgressives should stop acting like things like this helps people, and stop attempting to shove their irrational bogus, pompous beliefs down our throats.

Prove it. Surely you have an example in mind if you're saying that. Or you're just being a bratty kid saying "No U"? So many people on GAF seem to think "NO U" is a valid counter argument.

Have you ever heard of hypocrisy? If the shoe fits...

It's hard to tell who's real or not anymore. So funny. People slapping each other with "OK hun" and "oh sweetie" thanks for making me read this.

PoInT oF pErSoNaL pRiViLeDGe, but forgive me when I say that that's so like white people and, like... I don't know...

Last edited:
Top Bottom