• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

SiBmj.jpg

rhQaz.gif

Developed by: Ubisoft
Published by: Ubisoft
Release Date: North America: OUT NOW! (PS3/360/PC)

ZoU3h.jpg

Venturing the uncharted territorries, Rocksmith is Ubisoft's entry to the niche plastic fantastic market. Unlike the previous music-based titles, the weapon of choice is yours. Pick up your own lead or bass guitar, plug it in and start rocking!

Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable, that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC.

Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary cable turns the guitar's signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles or PC for the first time. Best of all, the cable has multiplatform compatibility and is universal to all consoles to if you buy it for PS3, you can use it on 360 and PC, and vice versa.

tg7M0.gif

s4vxp.jpg

Introducing the next stage in the evolution of the guitar game. Rocksmith, the first and only game where you can plug ANY real guitar into your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 system, and actually learn while you play.

When we say any guitar we mean any guitar.
Whether it's the guitar sitting in your attic, your cherished faithful steed, or the guitar you have yet to buy, Rocksmith lets you plug any guitar into your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 system.

Difficulty settings that adapt to your ability.
You love a challenge, but hate being overwhelmed. With addicting gameplay that adapts to your personal skill level, you will automatically progress from single notes to complex chords at your own pace. You'll be playing 100% of the real guitar parts from the songs in the game.

Lots of music. Lots of styles.
One of the most satisfying moments for any guitar player is hearing yourself play your favorite song for the first time. Rocksmith has amassed an amazing library of songs from different music genres allowing players to experience that moment first hand.

Play songs instead of just learning them.
You want to play new songs, but you don't want to labor through tablature or cringe through poorly produced videos. No problem. Rocksmith will not only present you with new songs, but will also challenge you to step away from the notes on screen and play songs by memory.

Masses of effects pedals, amps, and cabs.
Turn your console into an amplifier and play with loads of in-game effects pedals, amplifiers, and cabinets. String pedals together with nearly infinite combinations and tweak your sound until you're satisfied. Whether it's a crunchy distortion, a vintage tremolo, or a psychedelic reverb, we have the gamut covered to make sure you can achieve the sound you're looking for.

Develop real skills with mini-games.
There will be a wide variety of mini-games that will challenge you to hone in on specific skills. Whether its scales, or finger dexterity you want to improve on, our mini-games will have you covered, and addicted.

Get plugged in.
Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this guitar cable is 11.25' cable turns the guitar's signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles for the first time.

zZs5K.gif

[Updated: August 13th, 2012] You'll be able to choose from a large catalog of songs in different styles including:

Bonus Songs:

Downloadable Tracks (Each: 240 XBL | $2.99 PSN); (Pack: 640 XBL | $7.99 PSN):

• 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
  • 3 Doors Down - "Loser"
  • 3 Doors Down - "When I'm Gone"
  • Albert King And Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Born Under A Bad Sign"
  • B.B. King "The Thrill Is Gone"
  • Blink-182 - "All The Small Things"
  • Blink-182 - "Dammit"
  • Blink-182 - "What’s My Age Again?"
  • Blue Öyster Cult - "Godzilla"
  • Blue Oyster Cult- "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
  • Boston- "More Than A Feeling"
  • David Bowie- "Space Oddity"
  • Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"
  • Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"
  • Finger Eleven - "Paralyzer"
  • Foster The People - "Pumped Up Kicks"
  • Heart- "Barracuda"
  • Judas Priest - "Breaking The Law"
  • Judas Priest - "Living After Midnight"
  • Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
  • Lamb Of God - "Redneck"
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd- "Free Bird"
  • Maroon 5 - "This Love"
  • Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On"
  • Megadeth- "Hangar 18"
  • Megadeth- "Public Enemy No. 1"
  • Megadeth- "Symphony Of Destruction"
  • My Chemical Romance Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)
  • My Chemical Romance Planetary (Go!)
  • My Chemical Romance Song Pack
  • My Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
  • Otis Redding - "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay"
  • Pat Benatar - "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
  • Pearl Jam - "Black"
  • Pearl Jam - "Jeremy"
  • Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
  • Queen - "Fat Bottomed Girls"
  • Queen - "Keep Yourself Alive"
  • Queen - "Killer Queen"
  • Queen - "Stone Cold Crazy"
  • Radiohead- "Bodysnatchers"
  • T. Rex- "20th Century Boy"
  • The Allman Brothers Band- "Jessica"
  • The Black Keys- "Gold On The Ceiling"
  • The Black Keys- "Just Got To Be "
  • The Black Keys- "Mind Eraser"
  • The Blues Brothers - "Soul Man"
  • The Darkness - "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"
  • The Knack - "My Sharona"
  • The Offspring - "Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Separated)"
  • The Offspring - "Gone Away"
  • The Offspring - "Self Esteem"
  • The Police - "Message In A Bottle"
  • The Police - "Roxanne"
  • The Police - "Synchronicity II"
  • The Temptations - "My Girl"
  • Three Days Grace- "I Hate Everything About You"
  • Vampire Weekend- "Cousins"

More tracks and packs will be added via DLC, including songs, amps, pedals and more.

TrC0I.gif

Can I use my guitar with Rocksmith?
Most likely, the answer is yes. If your guitar has a standard ¼ inch jack for you to plug in a cable, then yes, your guitar will work. If your guitar does not have a jack (for example, many acoustic guitars), you can go down to your local music store and buy a pickup, and your guitar will be ready to plug in and play.

Will I need an amplifier to play the game?
Nope. All you need is a TV, a guitar, and our game. With Rocksmith, your TV or home theatre system becomes your amplifier. You plug your guitar directly into the console, and play. It's that easy.

I've never played guitar, and it seems difficult and intimidating. How do you expect me to play this game with no prior guitar knowledge?
Unlike other music games with only 4 difficulty modes, our game adapts to your personal skill level in real time, making it possible for you to play and have fun. If you're a beginning guitar player, the game will treat you as such, and constantly challenge you to improve without overwhelming you.

I'm an experienced guitar player, and am not interested in a game for beginners. Why should I own this game?
If you're an experienced guitar player, it will recognize this, and feed you the amount of notes that you're able to play. If that's 100% of what the actual guitar is playing in the recorded song, then good for you. You've just learned a new song while playing a video game. Plus, what other video game out there allows you to plug in your own guitar? None! This is a one-of-a-kind experience that you are guaranteed to enjoy.

Will Rocksmith have rhythm or lead guitar in the gameplay?
Both. You will be able to choose rhythm or lead before you begin playing a song. Basically, whatever guitar parts are featured in the actual recorded song, we will have available for you to play.

Are there effects pedals in the game?
There are loads of effects pedals built into the game, and they are all the real deal. You'll get to tweak your sounds, and string them together with nearly infinite combinations until you're satisfied. Whether it's a crunchy distortion, a vintage tremolo, or a psychedelic reverb, we have the gamut covered to make sure you can achieve the sound you're looking for.

Will there be multiplayer?
Absolutely. We will have split screen multiplayer where you and a friend will be able to rock side by side.

What songs will you have in the game?
The intention of our song list is to capture a wide range of music, while concentrating on fun, guitar centric tracks. For the most up-to-date track list, visit the "Track List" section on Rocksmith.com.

Will there be chord charts?
Yes! And they are interactive. Rocksmith includes over 1,000 chords in the game.

What is this I'm hearing about mini-games?
There will be a wide variety of mini-games that will challenge you to hone in on specific skills. Whether its scales, or finger dexterity you want to improve on, our mini-games will have you covered, and addicted.

What is the price of the game?
Rocksmith is $79.99, and includes the game, along with a 1/4 inch to USB cable that plugs any guitar into your Xbox 360, PS3, or PC.

What is the price of the bundle?
The Rocksmith bundle is $199.99, and includes the game, the 1/4 inch to USB cable, and an Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar.

What’s the Rocksmith guitar cable?
Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary 11.25' cable turns the guitar’s signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles or PC for the first time.

What is the price of the standalone Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable?
The Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable is $29.99, and will allow you to rock out side-by-side with another player.

Will there be bass in the game?
Bass is now included via DLC (2400 XBL | $29.99 PSN)

Will there be DLC for the game? If so, when?
Yes! We absolutely plan to have downloadable content for the game very soon after launch. But right now our current focus is making the game that ships in October as good as it can possibly be.

Will there be alternate tunings?
Right now we have standard E tuning, and drop D tuning. More alternate tunings will be available post-launch through downloadable content on Xbox Live and PSN.

Can I put my own music into the game?
Currently, no. The intended goal of Rocksmith is not to be recording software. We want people to focus on playing the guitar and having fun.

Will there be latency issues with Rocksmith?
If you experience any noticeable latency with Rocksmith, then it’s more than likely due to the specific setup you’re using. Since everyone has a unique arrangement with their home entertainment systems, we’ve outlined steps you can take to avoid this issue.

ZrvgJ.gif

ZizE6.jpg

Regular edition of Rocksmith comes with the Rocksmith game and a 1/4 inch to USB cable that allows any guitar to be plugged into video game consoles. Regular Edition costs $80.

The Rocksmith bundle will include the Rocksmith game, a 1/4 inch to USB cable that allows any guitar to be plugged into video game consoles, and a full-size Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar. The bundle costs $200.

z73Kc.gif

- If available on your TV, use the "Game" or "PC" mode setting. These modes bypass extra video processing filters to seriously reduce lag time.

- If the TV does not have a Game or PC mode, you can diminish lag by turning off video processing filters. Refer to your TV manual for more information on how to turn off processing filters.

- Check to see that the console is outputting video at the native resolution of your TV. If your TV’s native resolution is 1080p but your console is set to 720p, the TV must process the signal to scale the image up to fill the entire screen, which adds to the input lag.

- On some TVs, HDMI connections can introduce more input lag than component or PC cables. If your TV has noticeable input lag using HDMI connection, you can diminish the lag by switching to component video cables or PC cables.

- If you’re using external speakers, connecting the audio from the console to a stereo receiver or home theater system using analog audio cables can fix audio lag. To match the on-screen note display to the audio, you can advance the notes using the "Note Advance" calibration.

XBOX 360:

X3FUj.jpg

PS3:

sw93S.jpg

tQ2ov.gif

u88hH.gif

qgMjp.jpg

What's your weapon of choice? Provide it and I'll post it here!

shagg_187: Epiphone Les Paul Studio - Gothic Black
jns: '92 Fender MIJ Telecaster
Famassu: Gibson Les Paul Studio
Tiduz - Ibanez RG350DX
NEO0MJ - Squier Stratocaster
Shadybiz - Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Fixed1979 - Gretsch G5120
The Boat - Squier Stratocaster
Shiv47 - Epiphone Les Paul
Delightful Oonsk - Ibanez S5EX1
Dynedom - Gibson Les Paul Custom
lobdale - Photogenic
DrBo42 - Epiphone Sheraton II
lordy88 - 2010 PRS Custom 24 McCarty Tobacco Sunburst
Rubixcuba - 1995 Japanese Fender Jaguar HH
bloodydrake - Epiphone Les Paul; Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III
Sophuis - Gibson SG
luffeN - Castrol GTX Badass Custom Liquid Engineering; Epiphone Les Paul Special II Black
The Albatross - Martin DCXE1; Gibson Les Paul studio; Epiphone Dot Studio
ExMachina - Squier Affinity Telecaster
jkoch - Agile Septor Elite 7
Slackbladder - Ibanez S570B
PigSpeakers - G&L ASAT Classic
adamsappel - Fender Squier '51
LarryButz - Gibson SG Voodoo
drtomoe123 - Rickenbacker
exhume - Fender Bass... :(
Fusebox - Ibanez RG550 and S540
Xerxes - Godin SDxt
Cryptic Psychedelic - Fender Stratocaster
shaowebb - Electric 3-String Dulcimer
onemic - Jackson DK2 Dinky
Bl4ckSunsh1n3 - ESP LTD MH-350NT
Robobandit - ESP MH-350NT
Terrordactyl - Gibson Les Paul
Ducky_McGee - Gibson Les Paul R7
Seanspeed - 7 string AX series Ibanez (EMG 707)

Animator

Nice OP shagg. Also I should add that tracklist is not complete because you unlock a ton of hidden songs in the game when you go encore.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I definitely am interested in this as an intermediate guitar player. That 80$ is kinda steep as I don't know how much time I would put into this in the long run. I do like some of the tracklisting, especially the Cribs, the Cure and the Strokes. I'm going to keep an eye on this though. Nice OP too :)

DJ_Tet

Banned
Thanks for posting this. Glad to see it features both lead and rhythm tracks for the guitars. I'm really excited to see how this pans out after RB3 fell apart. Will be much more accessible than having to buy a guitar that can't even get out to stores.

Medalion

Banned
I saw this in Future Shop today and was almost tempted to pick it up out of curiousity as I play real guitar, but always kinda shunned these type of games before because it was not authentic

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, but is it good? I have an electric guitar laying around at home and would really like to learn to play it, preferably using this piece of software. Will it be possible or is it just a marketing gimmick?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'll ask in here as well - can anyone compare to how it teaches guitar in relation to Rock Band 3 Pro mode?

Oof. $80 is a little tough on the wallet right now with all those other games coming out. I'm really interested, but I think I might wait for a sale. I need something to help me practice more though. I've been playing for maybe 6 years or so and haven't been the best at practicing as of late. I haven't been getting better, just sort of maintaining, and would really like to improve and maybe learn some new songs.

jns

Man, I'm really curious to try this but I think I might wait for the price to come down a tad. Will be interested to see how DLC comes/costs as well. Nice Op errr op :)

[edit] When I do get it I'll be playing on my 92 MIJ telecaster. Looks the same as this

72_black_tele_01__87569_thumb.jpg

Exuro said:
This looks pretty cool, will wait and see how it turns out on PC.

I'm so glad the cable is compatible with PC. When it comes out, I'll buy a digital copy of it, thus saving some green!

Here's hoping a digital copy will exist lol.

Oh and here's hoping that mod community picks up on this and go crazy!

Sigur Ros?
Best Coast?
Titus Andronicus?
MORE Radiohead?

I wish this thing the best of luck, but damn I want all the songs in this game in Rock Band.

Here are my impressions from the other thread:
4 hour impressions:

Pros:

- Very clear audio.
- Great cable quality. Glad they implemented the breaker/safety to it similar to 360 controller.
- Awesome setlist.
- Built-in amp, guitar tuner, tutorials for all the guitar techniques and more! It's a great starting destination got all and any guitar player.
- Love the dynamic difficulty mode.
- Support for lefty and different tuning knobs.

Cons:

- Cable is short for my taste.
- Learning curve is medium but gets hard as the difficulty bumps up as it throws loads of shit at you at times and colors you might not be familiar with.
- Audio lag is atrocious for those on HDMI. Game recommends using Optical or Component for audio. It's playable but can get annoying as you might start following the song rather than onscreen chords.

Other tidbit:
- You can assign amp sounds to face buttons! $20 says they are going to release a USB Pedal so you can use it as your all-purpose audio recorder/jam-session buddy.
- Game design is a simple but brilliant idea. It doesn't sense the chord but it senses the audio pitch. You can play a song in a single string as long as audio pitch matches. It can get annoying as some muted songs require exact pitch and a single extra string can throw it off.
- Can't wait for DLC!
- I preordered but didn't get the two songs. Gotta email EB games.

Definitely a sleeper hit in my book. 10/11!

Animator

To Far Away Times said:
That is quite a tracklist. I wonder if this is fun for those that have been playing guitar for a while.

Absolutely. It made me play guitar more because it makes practicing FUN!

Keiician said:
Ok, but is it good? I have an electric guitar laying around at home and would really like to learn to play it, preferably using this piece of software. Will it be possible or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Yes you can honest to god learn to play guitar using rocksmith. It is a better instructor than most of the professional guitar instructors I have been to.

radjago

I'm interested to know whether it supports alternate chord voicings. And no latency adjustments in a music game? Really?

radjago said:
I'm interested to know whether it supports alternate chord voicings. And no latency adjustments in a music game? Really?

I haven't tried alternate chord voicing as I such at most of the chords but you can alternate between strings as long as the pitch/sound is the same so I guess it'll work?

Latency adjustment exists in some degree. I just don't know what the fuck to do with it. Will play around with it tomorrow.

Definitely interested in this as a raw beginner. Unfortunately, the only actual review I've found of it was Joystiq, who had an experienced guitarist review it (he didn't like it). Sites need to make sure they get both an experienced guitarist and a newb to help review the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm hoping for some people who tried RB3 to weigh in on this. It seems like 99% of review outlets are ignoring this, despite all the hype that RB3 brought to the whole "real instrument" thing.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I got this in the mail and played it for about five hours today, my fingers are jacked up. I tried it with HDMI at first and yeah the delay is enough to mess up the timing on the game so you get lower scores. I just hooked up the AV cable and plugged it into my stereo directly and all is well.

What's really awesome about this as someone with a little guitar experience basically just choosing a song and learning the tabs and playing along, is that with each song it automatically sets you up in the right tuning and with the right effects pedals and distortion and stuff so your guitar sound matches the one in the song. That right there is worth the price to me, just to get to fiddle with all the effects.

The number one difficulty with the game, I've found, is that it's really hard to learn to read the on-screen note guide and internalize what color is which string and what fret on the screen is which fret in my hands. Once I really am comfortable with that it'll be easy I think.

Another is that I'm used to playing songs by merely using simple chords and picking away at them, which becomes harder with a lot of the modern rock songs that have these jumps all over the fretboard. The game doesn't really provide any clear instruction either about how to know exactly when you're gonna hop over. There are modes of course to practice segments and whatnot. And you can also play the songs in "just chords" or "just notes" modes in addition to the "journey" style arrangements. But it's just tough to get used to at first.

The little "guitarcade" games are interesting but get old pretty quickly. Quite pleased with the majority of the song selection except god help me I hate the Rolling Stones and they have three goddamned songs on here.

It's a tough game to review. It's a game, and it uses a guitar, and any competent level of execution would make it a must-buy for me just cause it actively gives me something to play without needing to hunt down a song and find some wonky tabs and learn the chords and try to do it. It's all right there on the TV and it's just more fun with automatic effects pedals and an in-time accompaniment without needing to stop your computer's music player and rewind and match it up with your own playing all the time for practice.

Really excited to see what they get out there for DLC on this thing--with this more than anything it's really less like buying a karaoke-type Rock Band track and more like buying instructions to help you learn to play a real song on your real guitar.

I guess I can see it a few ways:
1. It's a guitar learning tool/tablature accompaniment with a game shell to motivate game-minded people and automate/simplify the practicing process
2. It's a game enough to draw over the guitar-curious who maybe cut their teeth with timing and rhythm on Rock Band/Guitar Hero and get them to play real music
3. It's synced sight-reading/tablature for casual guitarists who wanna learn and try some new songs with a nice interface
4. It's tons of effect pedals and tone equipment without actually buying a ton of equipment for hobby guitarists who don't wanna spend a lot of money on messing around

If you're any of those people I think it'll be great for you.

Shiv47

Played about an hour of this last night; I really like it so far, as a total beginner. I'm impressed by all the background material and extra videos and such provided. I run everything on my PS3 through my receiver, but I haven't noticed any lag yet. I'll have to pay more attention when I play again tonight. This makes me want to play, which is great, considering how daunting it can be to try and learn on your own, as I don't really have time to fit actual lessons in right now.

Takuan

Played about 2 hours last night, half an hour of which was spent messing with the different amp models available from the start. Running through component, there isn't any lag that I was able to notice.

A few personal criticisms:
- positioning of the strings takes some getting used to; it's the reverse of what I expected, with the thickest string being at the top of the graphical neck of the guitar and the thinnest at the bottom (it totally makes sense why they present it this way, but it's daunting at first)
- it can be difficult to read the order in which you're supposed to pick strings; it is easier to go by the song than to look at the on-screen indicator
- there's a fair bit of loading in between screens and menus
- dynamic difficulty means you will have to play the song a few times for the game to realize you can handle the real song
- added cost to get the "right" setup (not a problem for me, personally, but sucks for HDMI-only users)

Positives:
- no lag on the right setup
- great note feedback; being able to really hear what you're playing along with the song allows you to know when you're holding a string too long or not long enough, or not pushing down hard enough on a fret
- so many authentic amp models, pedal combinations (and customizable rigs! can spend hours upon hours here)
- song selection so far (fucking BLACK KEYS!!! I Got Mine is a personal favorite)
- appears to have good tutorials for fundamental techniques (haven't gone through them, but the game tells me they're available)

I'm really pleased with the game and know I'll be putting many hours into it. I don't see how anyone with an interest in guitar and the determination/discipline to get better won't become at least an *okay* player after spending a good amount of time on Rocksmith. I've only spent a few hours playing so far, but it truly appears to be a great package.

shagg_187 said:
Takuan, you can change the position of the strings in options i.e. from top-bottom to bottom-top! :D
See, I thought I found the option for this; changed something from Inverted to Standard (or something along those lines) and it didn't do anything. Or I didn't do it right. I'm going to try to get used to the default setup, since it's just a matter of getting my brain to map things the other way around. Unless I'm having a huge issue adapting, I'll leave it as is.

luffeN

Shiv47 said:
Played about an hour of this last night; I really like it so far, as a total beginner. I'm impressed by all the background material and extra videos and such provided. I run everything on my PS3 through my receiver, but I haven't noticed any lag yet. I'll have to pay more attention when I play again tonight. This makes me want to play, which is great, considering how daunting it can be to try and learn on your own, as I don't really have time to fit actual lessons in right now.
So the PS3 is connected via HDMI to you receiver? And then one HDMI cables goes out to your TV?

Takuan:

1. You can change the position of the strings in options i.e. from thick-thin to thin-thick.

2. Loading is there. I like that they added the ability to "jam" during loading, kills time faster.

3. You can play lead/rhythm outside career mode. That said, I'm sure it'll show up in career mode once you learn/unlock chords.

luffeN said:
HDMI is bad? :/ I have a Yamaha RX-V 367 receiver and connect the PS3 to it and then one HDMI cable goes to the TV for the video. Will this create sound lag? I have a PC mode for the video, so that should be okey.
I believe they are talking about using an HDMI straight to your tv, with the audio coming out of the TV. The issue there is, the TV has to think about the video signal, and the audio signal will end up lagged as well. So the recommendation for people in that situation is to separate out the audio from the video by using different cables for the two.

HeySeuss

I asked this in the other thread and was told it didn't, but the op seems to suggest you can use an acoustic guitar as long as it has a 1/4 jack which mine does. Can somebody confirm this 100%?

I'm going to hold off for the inevitable pricedrop, but this seems really fucking cool.

Takuan

shagg_187 said:
Takuan:

1. You can change the position of the strings in options i.e. from thick-thin to thin-thick.

2. Loading is there. I like that they added the ability to "jam" during loading, kills time faster.

3. You can play lead/rhythm outside career mode. That said, I'm sure it'll show up in career mode once you learn/unlock chords.
Ok, I was wondering when it'd start throwing chords at me. I was ready to learn the lead riff for Higher Ground (always loved this song), but then the game gave me a one-note rhythm -_-

Proc

firehawk12 said:
I'm hoping for some people who tried RB3 to weigh in on this. It seems like 99% of review outlets are ignoring this, despite all the hype that RB3 brought to the whole "real instrument" thing.

RB3 may have been a fair comparitive but I never was able to get my hands on their real guitar.

This lets you grab your guitar that may or may not be collecting dust, plug in, and play.

It rewards progression with new kickboxes and venues. I love it. Its basically guitar hero for those who want to play real guitar and have fun alternate means of learning new songs / playing in your home theatre with multiple effects.

Hmm, I should still have the cables that came with my 360 laying around. I do use hdmi - if I add the audio cables can I just plug them into the tv? After looking at those diagrams, I'm thinking I will have to deal with the lag. I think they want you to run the audio through a stereo which I don't have.

Shick Brithouse said:
I asked this in the other thread and was told it didn't, but the op seems to suggest you can use an acoustic guitar as long as it has a 1/4 jack which mine does. Can somebody confirm this 100%?

I'm going to hold off for the inevitable pricedrop, but this seems really fucking cool.
Yes. You can use your semi-acoustic guitar as long as it has the 1/4 Jack. For pure acoustic guitar (one without the jack), you can buy a pickup for it.

You are good to go! :D

Hmm, I should still have the cables that came with my 360 laying around. I do use hdmi - if I add the audio cables can I just plug them into the tv? After looking at those diagrams, I'm thinking I will have to deal with the lag. I think they want you to run the audio through a stereo which I don't have.

Some TV support dual-audio. It is recommended to use home theatre or stereo system, but the audio cables to TV are still better HDMI. Of course, the lag is usually present in TV and has nothing to do with HDMI so you might need external audio source.

Mind you, the lag in HDMI is not bad for easier songs, it's just annoying when you're playing loads of chords. The game still compensate for the lag and give you the points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Proc said:
RB3 may have been a fair comparitive but I never was able to get my hands on their real guitar.

This lets you grab your guitar that may or may not be collecting dust, plug in, and play.

It rewards progression with new kickboxes and venues. I love it. Its basically guitar hero for those who want to play real guitar and have fun alternate means of learning new songs / playing in your home theatre with multiple effects.
Yeah, I didn't bother buying the real guitar either... but how does the training compare?

Sec0nd

I'm pretty interested in this. I've also got RB3 with the crappy ass plastic guitar but that sucks and is way too complicated in how it shows the chords. From the short clips I've seen this looks pretty darn complicated as well, is this true? Love to try this out though with my real guitar. When does it come out in Europe?

Top Bottom