• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games introduces GTA+ on GTA:O

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's hilarious you think the general population is going to not care about GTO+ especially when 6 releases. Seriously, like masses give a flying fuck about Tunic.

You couldn't have been farther from the point if you tried.

Xeaker

giphy.gif

Thats all they care about this disgusting people. And people will buy this LOL

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Explain it to me, what is the point I'm missing?

You're comparing a subscription service for content only in one game versus a subscription service which adds 10~12 games each month.

The "but I thought GAF loved subscription services" is being used in the wrong context.

XXL

You're comparing a subscription service for content only in one game versus a subscription service which adds 10~12 games each month.

The "but I thought GAF loved subscription services" is being used in the wrong context.
I think youre missing the point. It more a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

If you want an example, look at how MTX has affected everything, everywhere and that started out with armour for a fucking horse.

Do you know why we haven't gotten a new GTA game since PS3? 🤔

Microsoft is trying to repair their image with Gamepass. Rockstar has sold over 150M copies of GTAV.

Don't get so hellbent on Microsoft "winning" that you don't understand where this is going to lead with established juggernauts (like GTA) in this industry. Same goes for PlayStation.

drotahorror

I'm not sure why people are not seeing the value in what is being offered here. I think this is a fantastic gesture to help new and maybe even some older players out.

Let's break down some of the costs since reading through this thread it seems folks are slamming the sub without offering any sensible arguments as to why the sub is not a good value or idea. To me it looks like Rockstar is offering a pro consumer option which doesn't interfere with current weekly offerings and is 100% not required to play the game and offers something to finally counter the decline in Prime Gaming offerings AND finally an option for Xbox gamers to get ahead finally since they never got the 1 mil a month deal Playstation owners were enjoying.

- 500k GTA$ each month. 500k shark cards cost 10 dollars on their own.
- 1 Free property a month. Presently the Autoshop is being included, the most expensive one, La Mesa which costs 1,920,000 GTA$ This translates into roughly $35 dollars in Shark Cards.
- Free upgrade to the Aquarius Yacht, looking at potentially upto 2 million GTA here depending on what model you go with. Roughly another $35 dollars worth of Shark Cards right there.
- 1 Free fully upgraded Car, this month it is the Principe Deveste Eight which costs 1,795,000 GTA$, average cost of HSW complete upgrades is about 500k-1m GTA$. Lowballing it, this total package might cost 2.3 million GTA$ on its own, this would value out at $40 worth of Shark Cards.

I'm not going to even bother adding up the rest because already we are sitting at $120 in Shark Card purchases. For 6 dollars, this is a pretty damn good deal with all things considered and especially for somebody just starting out or for those that might be interested in just the car alone and don't wanna grind a heist or two. Not sure how this is milking players. Sure you can grind out heists to get everything in game, sure playstation owners are coming off the teat of 1million a month and twitch/prime gaming subs may have remembered when we used to get cool stuff like this for free or at a huge discount but the point is that you can't argue against the value being presented compared to current options available short of grinding. Since there might be some that are just starting out or rolling new accounts, new characters for one reason or another, this is a great way to enjoy some savings and get a little time saving boost.

Because the grind for in-game money is atrocious. Unless you've been playing forever and have a crew to do jobs etc, grinding money solo is fucking awful. They've done this on purpose to get you to buy the shark cards and now a monthly sub.

Freeman76

Cracks me up all the people going bald over this. You don't have to buy it, in which case it literally doesn't affect your life in any way. Such a waste of energy being mad at shit for the sake of it, especially an optional transaction in a game most of you don't own anyway because you were too salty at having to pay for it. This thread is jokes 🤣

Freeman76

I think youre missing the point. It more a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

If you want an example, look at how MTX has affected everything, everywhere and that started out with armour for a fucking horse.

Do you know why we haven't gotten a new GTA game since PS3? 🤔

Microsoft is trying to repair their image with Gamepass. Rockstar has sold over 150M copies of GTAV.

Don't get so hellbent on Microsoft "winning" that you don't understand where this is going to lead with established juggernauts (like GTA) in this industry. Same goes for PlayStation.

You are looking at this with a very narrow mindset. There are tons of games that havent fallen into MTX territory.

YCoCg

Sad to see such a fall from grace by DMA Design
I doubt anyone from the DMA days is still there? I think just Aaron Garbut? Leslie Benzies, Craig Conner, David Jones, Mike Daily, etc (around 50% of the studio) have been long gone since 2014.

Aenima

Because the grind for in-game money is atrocious. Unless you've been playing forever and have a crew to do jobs etc, grinding money solo is fucking awful. They've done this on purpose to get you to buy the shark cards and now a monthly sub.
Cayo Perico heist is the money making for solo players. And its a pretty fun heist to do in stealth, gives me Metal Gear vibes. New players start with 4 million and to start the heist you need to buy a submarine that costs around 2 million.

I have been doing in average 1.3 million per hour just doing this heist solo. Heist is pretty easy to do as well in stealth. That cuts alot of time during preparation cuz u dont need to sabotage the helicopters, armor and weapons of the enemy.
Heist can also be done in a private server, so u dont have to deal with ppl that turned the free mode into a battle royale.

wvnative

Out of curiosity, what do you love so much about RDO?

I finished RDR2 recently, after 160 hours of single player, which I loved, I thought "okay, and now it's time for the online" thinking I had a new huge piece of content to do, that a big thing was awaiting me, since I spent hundreds of hours on GTA online.

But I ended up being really disappointed, it kind of seems like there's nothing to do really, every job needs at least 10 gold bars to even try it, I've been doing some bounty hunts but it's very repetitive, and the online feels super dead, I barely see any players, and the world itself is very dead and empty compared to the single player, saint denis doesn't feel the same at all for example, completely empty streets, no NPCs, no interactions.

I really wish I'd love it because I had great expectations given how I loved the single player, but it just feels very barebone to me, not sure how to explain it, I quickly had the feeling that it wouldn't keep me busy for long. I'm quite sad about it.

Also the fact that there isn't a chat contributes to make it feel dead, compared to GTA Online where players can chat and a lot of my interractions and various situations with other players happened thanks to the chat.

As promised, THE NEGATIVES

Essentially, despite this awesome foundation, R* has bent over backwards to ruin the game.

It launched with only a few story missions and the stranger missions, no roles, no bounties, i understand it was new, but that bare bones left a bad first impression, and also the best missions paid $3 MAX...MAX! Game out of the gate was far grindier than GTA. This got re balanced in a couple weeks, but again, first impressions...not good.

But by May 2019, they were slowly adding new missions, bugs were getting fixed, but it was still lacking a core identity. Story missions didn't even have difficulty select for replay value. Was pretty boring tbh...

September 2019, the 3 main roles were added, and I immediately saw what their goal for the game was. Already explained why their great in my previous post, but yeah, great times. Plus they addeded legendary bounties every week for ten weeks. Things were looking soooooooo up.

Only a few weeks after that update do alarm bells begin to sound. For most people, animals stopped spawning in the world, this would not get fixed properly for MONTHS, they would eventually patch it, it'd break again, they'd fix it in like 5 months, but then it'd still be spotty. This was a CRITICAL ISSUE that took wayyyyyyy too long to fix, hunting is the most essential money making method. Also broken for months on end: Camp spawning, also a critical issue.

I still had fun though, daily challenges rewarded you with gold, and the reward would multiply if you did at least one challenge every day. These were also a fantastic way to engage with the world, forcing you to learn where to find specific plants and animals, using all your options in combat etc...and it was REWARDING.

Game however was in a flux, between that update and Summer 2020, new stuff was fun, but those bugs were not getting fixed fast enough. The summer 2020 update gave us NATURALIST, an alternative to trading, now you can hunt animals by sedating them and selling bio-samples to Harriet. People hated this update since it wasn't that fun...

Christmas 2020... they royally effed the game. Moonshine role was added, cool idea, but slow and not as profitable as existing roles. It did however come with a set of story missions related to the moonshine role which was neat, and a difficulty select was added for replay value. A mediocre new role wasn't bad, it was what else came with it.

THEY CUT THE DAILY CHALLENGE GOLD REWARD IN HALF, AND FORCE RESET THE MULTIPLIER STREAK AT THE END OF THE MONTH NOW

Yep, this killed the game for me, i'd still play for fun but was done with dailies. They did try to make up for it by adding battle passes that cost gold, and these were fun...until they started locking new skills behind the battle pass.

Rockstar pretty much killed all my enthusiasm for the game in a few days. They did backtrack on the skills thing, but it was obvious what was going on.

TL:DR: Making gold and cash was too easy, Rockstar tried to overcorrect, and since then there was only one more update in July 2021, the blood money update, which was an okay update adding discount GTA heists.

The game hasn't gotten even a bug fix patch since August, with no communication from Rockstar, and weekly bonuses are now monthly. Game seems dead. No new battle passes since October I think? And it's still buggy.

Now they want people to buy a half ass sub to a half ass port of a 10 year old game.

Kuranghi

A 17 year old guy in work told me "I once bought a skin for a knife in CS:GO that cost me £180 and then I stopped playing it the next week" and I told him he could've spent that on three (3) happy ending massages and the realisation/shock on his face was palpable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
how does it work?
Either set your MTU in the network settings to 700, once lobby is established, have friends load in (not near you or it will kick either one of you), then exit and change your MTU back to auto and log back into the lobby your friends held.

Or the other method is to rapidly bounce around lobbies until you secure a solo. They usually stay solo the entire session. Just make sure “matchmaking” is turned off as well.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

This doesn't affect me, I don't play GTA:O, but yeah - the more people get bummed withc urrent rockstar and temper their expectations of the future of the studio, the better the disappointment of future titles will handled.

R* has lost many key people and elements that made it soar to the top the last 20 years. I think nostalgia keeps people rosy towards the name, but I don't think there will be universal gamer praise for the franchises moving forward.

Aenima

Either set your MTU in the network settings to 700, once lobby is established, have friends load in (not near you or it will kick either one of you), then exit and change your MTU back to auto and log back into the lobby your friends held.

Or the other method is to rapidly bounce around lobbies until you secure a solo. They usually stay solo the entire session. Just make sure “matchmaking” is turned off as well.
Thats how i have been playing the game, with the MTU at 700. Always stay solo in a public lobby, from time to time 1 or 2 players are also able to join my lobby, dunno if its ppl also using the same trick.

Rockstar really need a non PVP free mode option. Maybe for GTA6. Games like Conan Exiles have pvp and pve servers so player can choose how they want to play the game.

Last edited:

Venuspower

There is no need for the last part. Changing the MTU and then joining a session is good enough. Friends can join without any problems. Quitting the Lobby and changing the MTU back again while you are playing is also not necessary. It is actually only important to reset the MTU if you no longer play GTA Online/if you do not want to be in a solo public lobby anymore.

Also note: Sometimes you will not immediately end up in a completely empty lobby. Then just look for a new lobby.

Last edited:

Freeman76

There is no need for the last part. Changing the MTU and then joining a session is good enough. Friends can join without any problems. Quitting the Lobby and changing the MTU back again while you are playing is also not necessary. It is actually only important to reset the MTU if you no longer play GTA Online/if you do not want to be in a solo public lobby anymore.

Also note: Sometimes you will not immediately end up in a completely empty lobby. Then just look for a new lobby.

Also he said you can change MTU in the network settings, on Xbox i cant find this?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I thought the MTU will kick one of you if you get too close to one another?
Also he said you can change MTU in the network settings, on Xbox i cant find this?
Apologies, you can manually set the MTU on the PS4/5. You can't manually change on the Xbox itself, you would have to do it via the router in that case.

Last edited:

Freeman76

This doesn't affect me, I don't play GTA:O, but yeah - the more people get bummed withc urrent rockstar and temper their expectations of the future of the studio, the better the disappointment of future titles will handled.

R* has lost many key people and elements that made it soar to the top the last 20 years. I think nostalgia keeps people rosy towards the name, but I don't think there will be universal gamer praise for the franchises moving forward.

Their next game will be their Andromeda

Rockman33

I think people are overlooking what one of the main purposes of this is. They are introducing it in a old game, therefore it won’t get as much backlash from people, older games don’t get talked about as much. But what they are really doing is setting people up for the idea for a subscription service for GTA. So when GTA 6 comes out people will already be used to the idea and it won’t get nearly as much hate as if it was introduced ONLY for the new one.

0neAnd0nly

Their next game will be their Andromeda
I mean, people will be in denial for a bit. Critics will probably score it well. But the writing is on the wall IMO.
  • People instrumental in building the GTA empire have left. Arguably most of the most important pieces.
  • The game and company who built the top of the mountain by being offensive and bucking censorship, are now scared to be offensive and censoring their own games
  • They haven't released a game 4 years, no direction on what is actually happening, and their release schedules and cancellation over the last 10 years keep getting murkier and murkier. Seriously, would any other major studio get this leeway?
  • Open World fatigue is a real thing, it isn't as novelty as it was when GTA5 launched
  • MTx. Oh sweet, sweet Mtx.
I really think people need to temper their expectations. This company is falling in with the "too big for the britches" thing we see of all major corporations IMO. At least, the writing on the wall indicates it - this is still overall just an opinion / hunch to be fair. Rockstar was the anti-corporation company... now becoming the big corporation company. Kind of funny, isn't it?

Aenima

I found this method for xbox, dunno if it still works.

Xbox One​

While in your public lobby, go to Settings --> Network Settings --> Test NAT Type. Wait a while and then go back into the game. You should be in a solo session.
Other method i found that used to work in all platforms, is disconnecting the router cable and conecting it back in fast, this was suposed to cause the game to lag and send u to a lobby alone.

Top Bottom