• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games Is Hiring For "Next-Generation" Projects

You know, I still haven't played GTA V. I keep forgetting about it.

I forgot to mention something interesting about GTAV and why I highly recommend you give it a shot.

It is now almost as much a period piece as Vice City and San Andreas were, a snapshot of the early part of the 2010s, which is now a time almost as foreign to our modern age as the 80s and early 90s were to the 2000s.

Manhunt 3

I'd love that too, the sequel is a mixed bag but the original Manhunt is actually way underrated, it'd be interesting to see a third game.

TLZ

Banned
I forgot to mention something interesting about GTAV and why I highly recommend you give it a shot.

It is now almost as much a period piece as Vice City and San Andreas were, a snapshot of the early part of the 2010s, which is now a time almost as foreign to our modern age as the 80s and early 90s were to the 2000s.
That's an interesting way to look at it.

They've been doing that limp physics shit with character movement since GTA IV, wasn't that 2008? Time to make a game that feels good to control, they haven't pulled that off since the PS2 era.

Exactly, Euphoria made its days, now please change engine and give us smooth controls
I'm not even talking about assassin's creed or Watch dogs level parkour, but damn, GTA characters chunkiness is Meme material

GTA V and RDR2 are nothing else than a GTA IV refined

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
if the next GTA is in modern age sign me off. I dont want a modern age gta.

90s is maximum. give me a GTA in the 70s or 80s again
According to a report by The Know, GTA VI would be set in both Miami and South America. As you may know, the Miami setting means the return to Vice City and in an interview around the time of GTA V's release, Leslie Benzies stated "VC is as much about the era as the setting. It would feel strange to revisit the city in a different time period".

I know that he is not at Rockstar anymore, but I can see the Houser brothers having a similar opinion about the matter.

EDMIX

I only mentioned Cyberpunk 2077, because of how popular CDPR is as a developer. That game will undoubtedly influence open trends after it launches.

I never implied it was the first to push dense, vertical maps or anything of the sort. Sure, a lot of what they've said in past interviews can be chalked up to fanning marketing hype, but it will sell several millions while popularize new design choices, or could possibly innovate on others.

I'm just spit balling ideas that I'd like to see in the next GTA.

"That game will undoubtedly influence open trends after it launches" Based on what? Nothing I've seen or they've stated is a first for gaming. Would be like saying for Yakuza's density"That game will undoubtedly influence open trends after it launches". Keep in mind how old and established that series is...

So I"m sure it will sell well , but the concept has existed before CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077, again Yakuza series has done this for almost 15 years. GTAV moved a legendary amount of units, how many more open world games do you see that have planes that didn't before GTAV? So its ok to be hype for a game, but lets relax on pretending the whole industry is dumb to a concept that has existed in many series for many years. As I've heard folks say "new design" more then I've heard them say what that new design actually is. I also want lots of what you listed in GTAVI, simply not all hype fest stuff from a game yet to release of features already found in other games longer. Trust me, I'm sure Rockstar knows about Yakuza series, it would be massively disrespectful to just assume thats brand new to them cause "CDPR". I don't know how that can be done with a feature that has been done by many. If GTAVI is more dense, trust me, it will have very little to do with Cyberpunk as GTAVI has likely been in development for years now.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me Yakuza Hero is dense because Cyberpunk 2077 lol

cormack12

Gold Member
<Did a cursory search before posting. If anyone has any issues related to the thread and it's content, feel free to report the thread and PM me. Close the thread if it's already posted.>

Don't worry so much :messenger_smiling: noone's is gonna flip out if there's a dupe. We need more people to post interesting/current news. We're all on the same page

Speaking of 70s and Rockstar though, I'd like to see a reboot of The Warriors but as an open world game, 70s era NYC is begging for an open world game.

This sounds amazing.

Regarding OP, I'm not sure if I actually want a new GTA. Definitely do not want a new RDR as I'm still plodding through the current one. I think I'd be more excited to see a new IP. Based on the listings, I'm leaning more towards a reboot of the 'Noire' series. It wasn't really done justice with, was recently remastered and has a lot of groundwork for new next gen content (VR compliance etc.) Maybe set in Paris.....

Stuart360

Its not certain that GTA will be their next game. They still have their cash cow with GTAV (628mil made in 2018 lol), and Red Dead a potential new cash cow. I mean obviously GTA6 will be in the planning phase at the very least, but that doesn't mean they wont release a Bully sequel, Man Hunt sequel, or a new IP first.

Awesome ideas here,
Please be dense as fuck.

I fell in love with the sprawling natural landscape of RDR2, but I would be all the more excited if they went for a denser, vertical map in GTA VI.
It would seem more fitting for an urban setting, in my opinion. Especially in a post Cyberpunk 2077 world.

+ Cops can chase you in and out of buildings. Give them the slip by exiting through windows/ fire escapes.

+ Breaking and entering mechanics. Tenants will call 911 on you if they catch you in the act, similar to the witness system in RDR2.

+ Shootouts in stairwells, hallways, apartments, lobbies, etc.

+ Use NPC's as human shields. Would make standoffs between the player and law enforcement more interesting.

+ More destructible environments.

+ Updating the loot system from RDR2, and sell the stolen goods at pawnshops.

+ Stickup NPC's at gunpoint for their money or valuables. Which can then be sold at pawnshops.

+ Rent out property/ apartments to make passive income.

+ Vechiles can run out of gas, and can be refueled at gas stations, instead of just being pretty set dressing.
This would add more tension and thrill to the hot pursuit gameplay, in addition to providing another incentive for stealing vehicles.

I wouldn't even mind a smaller map, as RDR2 already scratches my huge map itch.

Awesome ideas here, many of which my well be part of CDPR's next iteration CyberPunk. They’re all about the vertical in their next release.

You shoukd apply for a job there ;)

mortal

Gold Member
"That game will undoubtedly influence open trends after it launches" Based on what? Nothing I've seen or they've stated is a first for gaming. Would be like saying for Yakuza's density"That game will undoubtedly influence open trends after it launches". Keep in mind how old and established that series is...

So I"m sure it will sell well , but the concept has existed before CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077, again Yakuza series has done this for almost 15 years. GTAV moved a legendary amount of units, how many more open world games do you see that have planes that didn't before GTAV? So its ok to be hype for a game, but lets relax on pretending the whole industry is dumb to a concept that has existed in many series for many years. As I've heard folks say "new design" more then I've heard them say what that new design actually is. I also want lots of what you listed in GTAVI, simply not all hype fest stuff from a game yet to release of features already found in other games longer. Trust me, I'm sure Rockstar knows about Yakuza series, it would be massively disrespectful to just assume thats brand new to them cause "CDPR". I don't know how that can be done with a feature that has been done by many. If GTAVI is more dense, trust me, it will have very little to do with Cyberpunk as GTAVI has likely been in development for years now.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me Yakuza Hero is dense because Cyberpunk 2077 lol
Dude, you are clearly misunderstanding me and I really don't know why lol.

After seeing the CP2077 demo (regardless of what changes will come in the retail version), I really liked the verticality and the seamlessness of it all . It was merely an example I was drawing from with regards to my expectations for a potential GTA VI. A single point of reference, if you will. I don't even understand why you're so fixated with that small mention, it's not that serious lol.

Last edited:
I hope that GTA6 will be one of the first games to use AI created structures and textures. A game of that scope could really benefit from that. It could help the team to focus on the interactive parts of the town and let the AI do the busywork. I have faith in rockstar as they are the've proven to be technical wizards with gta5 and especially rdr2.

I'd love to see how that would pan out. That might be a way to resolve the "quantity versus quality" issue. The AI take care of the quantity so that the team can provide the quality.

Shmunter

I know you’re selling many games with your formula. But for the love off all that’s holy, can you hire someone with experience in modern design principles .

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We haven’t seen a historic war game from R* and I have a problem with that because I loved the old Wild West they mastered.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Curious to see what they do without having to deal with shitty Jaguar cpus.
the new CPUs will be an improvement but console hardware will still hold them back. there's only so much you can push a low powered APU.
I want a Bully 2.
aw, do you? i want to be a billionaire.

bully 2 should not happen. most people don't even know WTF Bully is. it wouldn't sell that well. the only games Rockstar are known for these days are GTA and Red Dead. Bully came out 13 years ago....it's dead.

Romulus

the new CPUs will be an improvement but console hardware will still hold them back. there's only so much you can push a low powered APU.

I think its more than just an improvement. All new console generations are a hardware improvement. It's my opinion that this might be the first generation in many years that we get consoles that are easy to develop for and well balanced. That's something we're not used to seeing.
Before, there was always a hurdle like the PS3's architecture for coding, or a hardware Achilles heel like the Jaguar. Looking at what they're proposing for PS5, I don't see those glaring weakness like I did when they released PS4 specs, not yet. It was obvious from day one where the problem would be. Even considering that, I think PS4 punched above its weight when playing games like Horizon and God of War because it was developer friendly. I think we're in for some lookers next gen.. Close box optimization is a real thing if all the pieces are in place.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
XyHnxsI.png

Stuart360

I wouldnt mind another Midhight Club as well. Its a shame GTA and Red Dead take up so much of their time and resources these days, we dont really get their lower profile games anymore.

klosos

I hope the world is more interactive. Watchdogs 2 was good at that.

Ya same id like modern open world games to be a more interactive , however i don't think Watch Dogs 2 Nailed that either,for me its something Ubisoft really have to work on with all their open world games. Its a shame we will never get a sequel to Sleeping Dogs because that could of been something special.

Bkdk

Hope they will at least release 2 big titles next gen. Only one game for the whole gen is insane.

D3SCHA1N

Sounds like they're getting in a position to release a trailer for a game that'll release in 3 years, yippie hahaha. I'd love a bully 2. What has the toronto studio been up to this whole time?

John117

GTA V is coming out September 2013 (almost 7 years ago)- Now, we have GTA V porting on PC, PS4 and One, RDR 2 console and PC. They could be show 2 projects (GTA and Bully)

Moriah20

You know, that's actually pretty good. I'm replaying GTA 5 currently and it strangely elicits a rather nostlagic feel from me. Technically it wasn't even that long ago but it sure feels like that. Also some of the Trevor stuff would cause mass melt downs today, whereas back in 2013 it was mainly "just" the torture scene (and I remember how everyone shat on the gamespot review for critiquing the game for misogny, saying that the reviewer has missed the point of GTA - today that critique would probably be celebrated)

Trimesh

Banned
LoL @ peeps mocking Rockstar. If you ask around I'm certain most devs would be honored to have a chance to work on the biggest game on the planet. Looks incredible on your resume.

Something can look "incredible on your resume" and still be horrifically shitty to actually be involved in. Kind of like working for Disney.

You know, that's actually pretty good. I'm replaying GTA 5 currently and it strangely elicits a rather nostlagic feel from me. Technically it wasn't even that long ago but it sure feels like that. Also some of the Trevor stuff would cause mass melt downs today, whereas back in 2013 it was mainly "just" the torture scene (and I remember how everyone shat on the gamespot review for critiquing the game for misogny, saying that the reviewer has missed the point of GTA - today that critique would probably be celebrated)

2013 was now 7 years ago, that's a pretty good while.

Top Bottom