• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games potentially hints at Red Dead sequel on Twitter [Up: New Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Rockstar ain't the average dev team.

They always take their time on this. Like for real anybody getting their hopes up for a spring 2017 release are hurting themselves.

tumblr_mzuboben8j1qdojzho2_r1_250.gif

Are you thinking more spring 2018?

I'm smelling an avi bet...

Simo

GTA V was revealed 2 years before release. RDR was revealed well over a year before release.

Unless things have changed, Rockstar likes a long cycle of trailers and this game will be out in May 2018

And Zelnick commented they didn't want to have a long marketing hype cycle like GTAV again and that they want shorter times between reveals>release. Not to mention the whole NMS fiasco spooked alot of publishers.

Anth0ny

all thanks to 2 images. imagine how much money other companies would need to spend to get near this level of marketing/hype.

very few companies in the world command attention like rockstar games. they've earned their position at the top of the video game industry and can afford to tweet images like this as their method of announcing a game. and god damn does it work well lol

I don't really want a prequel focusing on the old gang, but I'll take what I can get and maybe they can make it work. I just really need to know how much multiplayer is a part of this before I can get excited. If too much of the game is built around that, at least I had the Witcher 3 this gen.

I think it will do well enough but I hope they don't have such high hopes for it. It's not like GTA which is set in modern times where you can have loads of cars, boats, planes, towns of different weapons and whatnot.

I don't see as many people shelling out for different ponies.

How about upgradable gang hideouts for your gang?

Ponies lol RDR had bulls and donkeys (pre-order bonus?)

Plenty of scope for many deadly weapons.

How about the idea of an online portion of the game where you can be a law man? Facing off against the criminals?

Heists anyone?

I'm telling you now Red Dead online will be huge, all you need is an overactive imagination to see that.

SDCowboy

Assuming this is set further back than Redemption (or it wouldn't even be in the wild west era), I was really hoping it would center around Ricketts. I'm still beyond hyped though.

SpaceHorror

While I'd be pissed (and surprised) if it's online only, Red Dead Online is definitely something I want. I've put a lot of hours into GTA Online and my best online memories of all time were spun in RDR's online component.

So while a RD single player experience will always be the main attraction, I'm pretty damn excited to see what its online mode has to offer, too.

DOWN

Banned
Picture has 7 characters, do we assume everyone of those is playable during SP story like GTAV has all 3 playable? Personally I hope they don't take that approach here because imo GTAV story suffers from character swapping.

With R* there is nothing weird about that

GTAO is making more money than most games.
They released a lot of games last gen. This gen may be just two. They went from having:

Midnight Club
Table Tennis
GTA IV
RDR
Max Payne 3
GTA V
(Honorary LA Noire)

To this gen:
RDR
(Honorary GTA V remaster)

It's a change and weird to me after they were firing off a game almost every summer last gen

Gorillaz

Made the classic mistake of posting on the top of a new page

If the game has been in development for 4/5 years, then Spring 2017 isn't too far-fetched

Don't they put all studios on one major project at once? GTA5 was a mix of everyone working on it. It probably did start in 2012 but can't see it really kick up till they shipped 5 out.

Considering when Redemption took place it almost certainly will be said further back since there really isn't anywhere to go with the old west since the last game was pretty much set on the death of the setting. I highly doubt we'll see John Marston though because his actor was already getting out of the business by that time and is completely out now and happy living in his small town as far as I know.

Red Dead online is a definite.

GTA online has made them millions and Red Dead will do the same.

RDR's online was pretty much the forebearer to GTA Online so yeah, it's definitely happening.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Made the classic mistake of posting on the top of a new page

Don't they put all studios on one major project at once? GTA5 was a mix of everyone working on it. It probably did start in 2012 but can't see it really kick up till they shipped 5 out.

GTA V has been out for over 3 years now though. i don't think all the rockstar studios have been working on GTA Online updates.

Ash735

GTA V was revealed 2 years before release. RDR was revealed well over a year before release.

Unless things have changed, Rockstar likes a long cycle of trailers and this game will be out in May 2018
Things haven't changed, but to let people know, GTAV was revealed earlier than anticipated due to the shock loss of L.A.Noire and initial lackluster reaction to Max Payne 3.

During the years we were apart of it Rockstar liked in the 7th Generation to keep a year cycle in effect, the games were being worked on longer but they'd start teasing, revealing, previewing, etc, over the course of a year in the run up to release.

In the past they've learned the mistakes of revealing things too early and then having to go dead air on things because of development issues. They wanted to get back to the cycle they had between 2008 - 2012.

Rellik

They released a lot of games last gen. This gen may be just two. They went from having:

Midnight Club
Table Tennis
GTA IV
RDR
Max Payne 3
GTA V
(Honorary LA Noire)

To this gen:
RDR
(Honorary GTA V remaster)

It's a change and weird to me after they were firing off a game almost every summer last gen

They remastered Bully last gen too.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

the thing that changed is their online. GTAO is raking in the cash and it cost them almost nothing to produce (according to them) so it's basically profit on profit unlike making a new game which is always risky even if you're Rockstar.

I imagine having that product out there doing so well means they don't have any pressure to make 8-10 games they can just focus on one or two massive hits that live longer.

I think the open world gameplay will stay intact but lore-wise, yah I can see that. The Gen 6 and Gen 7 GTA games are in their own universes.
oh for sure they'll continue the open world shit, yeah.

gen 6 and 7 GTA were separate, but the fact that they decided to keep Gta 4 & 5 in the same canon was interesting. i wonder if the next GTA will be connected to it too.

so RDR3 may or may not be connected to the previous. it'd be cool if it was, but it's been long enough that they probably will just create a new canon.

DOWN

Banned
the thing that changed is their online. GTAO is raking in the cash and it cost them almost nothing to produce (according to them) so it's basically profit on profit unlike making a new game which is always risky even if you're Rockstar.

I imagine having that product out there doing so well means they don't have any pressure to make 8-10 games they can just focus on one or two massive hits that live longer.
But they have lots of teams. Just making money with online doesn't mean their studios can twiddle thumbs and that making more money has caused them to fear taking their risks.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Things haven't changed, but to let people know, GTAV was revealed earlier than anticipated due to the shock loss of L.A.Noire and initial lackluster reaction to Max Payne 3.

During the years we were apart of it Rockstar liked in the 7th Generation to keep a year cycle in effect, the games were being worked on longer but they'd start teasing, revealing, previewing, etc, over the course of a year in the run up to release.

In the past they've learned the mistakes of revealing things too early and then having to go dead air on things because of development issues. They wanted to get back to the cycle they had between 2008 - 2012.

So we can assume that the game will be released soon prior the the reveals that are already happening?

Anth0ny

yeah man that announcement -> release cycle for GTA V really hurt them

Ash735

So we can assume that the game will be released soon prior the the reveals that are already happening?
IF they're sticking to how they did things previously, then expect this around September - October 2017, maybe an initial date of May 2017 to get people hyped up before holding it back.

dealer-

Rockstar ain't the average dev team.

They always take their time on this. Like for real anybody getting their hopes up for a spring 2017 release are hurting themselves.

Maybe they've taken their time on it already. Announcement date doesn't factor into that. Can't see 2018, maybe late 2017 though.

Picture has 7 characters, do we assume everyone of those is playable during SP story like GTAV has all 3 playable? Personally I hope they don't take that approach here because imo GTAV story suffers from character swapping.

The obvious connection to The Magnificent Seven is there, so I'd guess that you can play as any character, each with different attributes and abilities. But I'd also think that it's primarily a focused story on the entire group as a whole, so you wouldn't have the separate and sometimes connecting storylines like GTAV had.

What I'm really hoping is that the game allows for 7 player co-op campaign.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
IF they're sticking to how they did things previously, then expect this around September - October 2017, maybe an initial date of May 2017 to get people hyped up before holding it back.

more like 2018. gta v was almost 2 years between announcement/release.

hopefully they are serious about releasing much sooner after announcement. i wouldn't be surprised if we got it early next year. maybe about 6 or so months from now.

Alienous

I wonder if this will be a Dutch's Gang prequel? John Marston and crew doing dastardly deeds.

There really isn't that much more Wild West post-Redemption, so I'm unsure that they'd do a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom