• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar has removed several transphobic elements from next-gen GTA V

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I hope this provides comfort to anyone who felt these NPCs depicted harmful stereotypes"

Gaming these days....

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

For some who hasnt finished a single gta game and finds them boring af, only redeeming factor of the games was the writing imo, satire in all the games were funny af, this to me confirms gta6 is going to be as serious as red dead 2 which is ashame, no wonder sam left probs got restricted on what jokes could be said.

dotnotbot

Anything else they removed? I remember controversies surrounding trailers where they removed some pictures on the walls or something, is it like that in final version as well?

Last edited:
I consider myself very progressive, but isn't one of the main points of games like GTA to make fun of everything and everyone, nobody's sacred? They mock rich Republicans, poor folks in rural areas, black youth that ends up in gang wars, the excessively brutal police, the fake shit on TV, the sexual freedom and so on. That's been GTA for the longest time: a hyper-exaggerated view of the USA where all problems, social issues, political themes and such are taken to the extreme, with the player that can be anyone and do anything with very minor consequences, in a world where everyone hates everything. If these jokes offend you, clearly GTA isn't the game for you. Why fight for the game to remove that one specific joke, then turn the other way when they mock other people?

FingerBang

Thank God. I feel much safer now! I hope they remove all the jokes about blacks, browns, Asians, LGBT and basically everybody who isn't a straight white man.

They should also make Franklin a journalist writing for the NYT and every time he murders someone it should be an instant game over with a long lecture on how harmful stereotypes hurt his community.

Saber

Gold Member
The whole point of GTA is being all wrong and not be an example to anyone.
The more they took away, the less iconic the game will be. At some point it will no longer be a GTA game. Actually, the term "theft" could be removed for sensibilities.

For those hoping for GTA6, put those dreams to rest. GTA is long dead at this point.

Last edited:

Larxia

I remember seeing these NPCs, in front of a specific night club.

I'm really confused though, these people always beg for representation everywhere, but here they want to censor the type of content they try to get representation for, it really doesn't make sense to me.
They talk about "caricature" NPC, but seriously when you see all these twitter profiles, it doesn't seem like much of a caricature, I don't understand what they want.

Zeroing

Banned
So, it took more than a month to notice these changes.
It is so funny that people here and on era are crying over this. Noone is satisfied.
Yeah nowadays everyone is angry and fighting each other. It is a video game...I wasn't offended back then or now. All this pseudo American "movement" or whatever people wanna call it... is just creating 2 groups with radical and extreme point of views.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I consider myself very progressive, but isn't one of the main points of games like GTA to make fun of everything and everyone, nobody's sacred? They mock rich Republicans, poor folks in rural areas, black youth that ends up in gang wars, the excessively brutal police, the fake shit on TV, the sexual freedom and so on. That's been GTA for the longest time: a hyper-exaggerated view of the USA where all problems, social issues, political themes and such are taken to the extreme, with the player that can be anyone and do anything with very minor consequences, in a world where everyone hates everything. If these jokes offend you, clearly GTA isn't the game for you. Why fight for the game to remove that one specific joke, then turn the other way when they mock other people?
The usual justification is “those other people’s lives are not endangered by these jokes and representations”.

This would be like Eminem going back and and editing out all of the shocking things he's said on his early records.
Make a fake trailer about an upcoming Eminem game and people will be asking for that before the day is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom