• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Leeds: "[L]ooking for ... programmer to help bring our titles to the PC"

Posted by GAF user dex3108 in the GTAV trailer thread

https://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/position/84c091acdcb515e1eef08f4e4c4687f0/rockstar-leeds
Rockstar Leeds are currently looking for a talented graphics programmer to help bring our latest titles to the PC platform. Working together with the other Rockstar studios, you will be responsible for maintaining the studio’s uncompromising quality bar, delivering the highest quality PC experience possible.
Responsibilities

Work within a team of skilled developers on Next Generation games.

Qualifications

Educated to degree level or equivalent, with an emphasis on computer graphics
1 year of PC or Xbox360 graphics experience (DX9 and/or DX11)
1+ shipped products

Skills

Excellent C++ skills
Strong understanding of 3d graphics principles + techniques
Familiarity with game asset pipelines
Prior experience with deferred renderers
Ability to work in a multithreaded environment
Good communication skills
Passionate about PC gaming

EDIT: job listing's been removed. hmm

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah Leeds is their main PC porting studio now that they got moved off handhelds.

They did a nice job with Max Payne 3.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I saw Rockstar and PC in my sleepy haze and my heart skipped a beat

Then I realized it was not the right Rockstar studio and my dreams of RDR were shattered once again :(

EDIT:

Yeah Leeds is their main PC porting studio now that they got moved off handhelds.

They did a nice job with Max Payne 3.

Did they? Well that does give me some hope for the future of Rockstar games on PC, MP3 was an excellent port.

kewlmyc

Jeez, I wonder what game they could be thinking of porting.

In unrelated news, I'm holding off on buying GTAV.

pa22word

Prior experience with deferred renderers

Does anyone know if GTAV is making usage of deferred rendering? Considering all the previous RAGE titles on PC have supported built in MSAA (which is usually always disabled in games utilizing deferred rendering), did we potentially get a subtle confirmation of a GTAV PC port?

cafemomo

They did? Who will be doing the handheld stuff now?

Good news I guess for the people who wanted GTA V on their PC (like me), but I kinda wished Leeds did another GTA stories title again

pa22word

kubus

Our store has been selling GTA V PC preorders for a while now... And it's not the kind of store that puts up preorders randomly. I'm gonna give a call to HQ soon to ask what's up. But I thought it might be interesting in light of this topic:

GTA V PC Preorder link (Dutch)

Edit: also note the expected release date of 2014 instead of September

dab0ne

Our store has been selling GTA V PC preorders for a while now... And it's not the kind of store that puts up preorders randomly. I'm gonna give a call to HQ soon to ask what's up. But I thought it might be interesting in light of this topic:

If it's actually a "games for windows live" game I'm going to vomit!

iavi

Sounds about right

pa22word

MSAA is not possible on PC? Or what do you mean?
--
Anyhow, it's 99% GTAV, obviously.
And that, is great.

Usually when engines are utilizing deferred rendering MSAA isn't supported due to the massive performance dump required when combining the two. Considering the job posting specifically asks for experience with deferred rendering, it's pretty apparent that whatever they're porting uses deferred rendering. RDR apparently does not, therefore it would be safe to assume that they're not going to do a RDR port. The million dollar question though, is whether or not GTA V is using deferred rendering, because this would paint a good picture as to R*s plans on a potential PC version of the game.

The above combined with the timing (GTAV is september, so it must be going gold sometime soon, freeing up manpower for a PC port), points to a very likely PC version of GTAV in the near future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They did? Who will be doing the handheld stuff now?

Good news I guess for the people who wanted GTA V on their PC (like me), but I kinda wished Leeds did another GTA stories title again

If by "handheld" you mean "mobile", then quite possibly several studios.

If by "handheld" you mean "dedicated handheld", probably no one.

UrbanRats

If it's actually a "games for windows live" game I'm going to vomit!

Games for Windows =/= Game for Windows LIVE.
That cover has the former.

Usually when engines are utilizing deferred rendering MSAA isn't supported due to the massive performance dump required when combining the two. Considering the job posting specifically asks for experience with deferred rendering, it's pretty apparent that whatever they're porting uses deferred rendering. RDR apparently does not, therefore it would be safe to assume that they're not going to do a RDR port. The million dollar question though, is whether or not GTA V is using deferred rendering, because this would paint a good picture as to R*s plans on a potential PC version of the game.

The above combined with the timing (GTAV is september, so it must be going gold sometime soon, freeing up manpower for a PC port), points to a very likely PC version of GTAV in the near future.
I see.

Will double dip during a Steam sale after a few patches. I'd like to wait for the PC version outright, but nothing could stop me from getting a new GTA game as soon as possible.

pa22word

Will double dip during a Steam sale after a few patches. I'd like to wait for the PC version outright, but nothing could stop me from getting a new GTA game as soon as possible.

If they put even half as much of an effort into the PC version of GTAV as they did on MP3 then I can't justify burning money buying the console version.

Sadly, this seems like the first GTA launch I will miss since GTA2 =\

Sweet. They better kill the social club bs. And GFWL isn't supported anymore right? Thought I heard somewhere that microsoft unofficially axed it. What other drm did rockstar add to their games, tages, securom, uplay, origin? It was something real bad, some kind of tri layer mess of a mess.

I was just thinking about how sweet a RDR PC port would've been after seeing the video in the GTAV gameplay trailer thread.

Still, I'm afraid it's GTAV related, I don't think we'll ever see RDR outside of PS360.

Soviet

Banned
If they got "moved off handhelds", then why are they recruiting "ambitious developers to help bring the best Rockstar titles to the mobile gaming world"?

Nillansan

Sweet. They better kill the social club bs. And GFWL isn't supported anymore right? Thought I heard somewhere that microsoft unofficially axed it. What other drm did rockstar add to their games, tages, securom, uplay, origin? It was something real bad, some kind of tri layer mess of a mess.

GTA 4 was using GFWL, Rockstar Social Club and Securom. A lovely cocktail.

pa22word

If they got "moved off handhelds", then why are they recruiting "ambitious developers to help bring the best Rockstar titles to the mobile gaming world"?

The term "handheld" and "mobile" hold different connotations in the gaming world. Handheld refers to dedicated handheld gaming devices, like the Vita and 3DS. Mobile refers to cell phones, such as the iPhone and whatever flavor of android you might be carrying around in your pocket.

As I previously mentioned, Rockstar killed their handheld development after VCS underperformed and Chinatown Wars bombed, and refocused on mobile development. This is why we've seen stuff like GTAIII, VC, and Max Payne being ported to iOS, but not Vita.

The engine is deferred, GTA IV is deferred, RDR is deferred.

Here are two articles where Codemasters refer to RDR as being deferred.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...g-next-gen-games-on-consoles-you-already-own/

So says Pete Ridgway, technical art director at Codemasters: "We're actually still getting a lot of innovations within this generation," he says. "If you look at the first games that came out, then the ones that came out later with deferred rendering - that was quite a big, sizeable change in the way you do things. Suddenly you could have loads of lights in a scene.

"Other games have come out with multi-surface anti-aliasing. A lot of techniques have come out of Siggraph (the world's biggest computer graphics conference) and the film industry that we've been able to bring across. There's a lot to be had without going to new hardware."

Deferred rendering is the magic behind moody, naturally lit games like Dead Space, Crysis 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Many deemed it too demanding for consoles which, with their outdated DirectX support among other things, suffered horrendous aliasing (jaggies) when using it.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/dark-matters/

The average night race in Dirt 3 uses about 200 deferred lights, a dramatic reduction from earlier averages of around 1,000. The difference is imperceptible, made up by cunning baking. The real power of modern lighting, though, isn’t complexity so much as the opposite: when it comes to software like Codemasters’ Ego engine and Unreal’s latest light-bouncing solution, Lightmass, it’s actually about simplicity. And that, by extension, is about art.

“It’s robustness,” says Ridgway, who sees Red Dead Redemption as a leading example. “It gives the artists more time to iterate. The sooner you can let them get something into the game and build on it – the less time they’re waiting around for builds – the more they can bring the artistry in there. Lighting-wise, that’s the difference between the games that work and the ones that don’t. There are no silver bullets, and everything that people are doing is fairly similar. Let the artists work, though, and the quality jumps up dramatically.”

Alan Wake is deferred too, but they managed to include 4x MSAA. There are ways/hacks to do it.

I am shocked, really I am shocked ........... see this obviously not shocked face it is my face shocked honest it is. I did laugh at this though :-

Rockstar Begging for Workers blurb said:
you will be responsible for maintaining the studio’s uncompromising quality bar, delivering the highest quality PC experience possible.

Surely that is some sort of "tongue in the cheek" joke. I mean come on "uncompromising quality" and PC do not go together with Rockstar. Now I just need to wait for someone to go "but Max Payne 3 was uber optimised and fantastic" before I list nearly every other damn game from Rockstar that was a mess on the PC :p

Still for those that are interested they get their game which is the important thing I guess. But for this jaded GTA fan it is too little too late.

zychi

Banned
Its gta v people. No chance of it being rdr. Every gta console release(note not handheld
Ports) has been released on pc months later. No chance this is rdr

Its gta v people. No chance of it being rdr. Every gta console release(note not handheld
Ports) has been released on pc months later. No chance this is rdr

I think a GTAV port is guaranteed. No doubt about that. But does it exclude the possibility of a RDR port? It's not mentioned at which other studios you have to work at and the only thing it states is 'to help bring our latest titles to the PC platform'. GTAV may not be the only game.

Top Bottom