• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

asker

Wait for it to be announced for PC at E3 2019. Gotta catch those double dippers.

They've seen how much money GTA V made on PC. They'd be leaving money on the table.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't know, didn't GTA V do really well on PC? The original Redemption not being ported over made sense due to how much of a mess the code apparently was. But with RDR2 for sure being in a better state, I can't see them skipping PC entirely.

KonradLaw

Sure it's not coming. Buit RDR2 Special Edition, released a year or so later, sure is. And then people will triple-dip when the next-gen launches

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Yeah definitely getting console version. I'm not going to sit around waiting for X number of years for a PC port.

Paracelsus

I believe it's the console manufacturers deliberately and maliciously bribing Rockstar to prevent this from happening. Yes, consoles have already exclusives to entice a pc player to buy a console, and while pc has got sandbox games, the one genre they definitely do not have is an open world third person western adventure game.
Think about it: there's mediocre stuff like Juarez, or Gun, but nothing on the scale of RDR. A PC version would actually make consoles look useless in many people's eyes, and I'm not talking about graphics. RDR has probably become an event on the scale of Zelda if not bigger, it's probably the only actual multiplatform killer application left, aside from Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:

klosos

Yep , am mostly a PC gamer ( I am shit at shooting with a controller) but ive preordered the PS4 version because i ant waiting around for 6-18 months or more for the PC version if there is one.

Dunki

I don't know, didn't GTA V do really well on PC? The original Redemption not being ported over made sense due to how much of a mess the code apparently was. But with RDR2 for sure being in a better state, I can't see them skipping PC entirely.
didnt? It still does. At this point it is more a phrase to amke sure people buy the console version first.

xviper

due to the massive success of GTA V

it would be impossible for RDR 2 not to come out on PC, unless GTA V sold poorly due to pirated copies

THE:MILKMAN

Someone later mentioned the translation was incorrect. The word absolutely is believed to be incorrect, but still NO.

https://gearnuke.com/red-dead-redemption-2-not-coming-to-pc/

Yeah the semantic hoops being jumped over this are something else! Mistranslation...!

Simple:

Q: Will the game come for PC?
A: No, its for PS4 and Xbox.

Is that verbatim? If so then there it is. Yes the journo apparently added 'absolutely' but come on......

Bottom line is Rockstar will re-release the game on next-gen consoles so it is in their monetary interests to hold back a PC release until then.

Kreydo

I would have baught it full price if the game came on PC at the time as console... But if I have to wait month or years then I will not buy it at all! I can wait years, apparently Rockstar don't want my money, I'm ok with that.
If some people are stupid enought to doubledip games of a compagny that makes billions, then it's their problem, I won't support this.

Last edited:

120v

I believe it's the console manufacturers deliberately and maliciously bribing Rockstar to prevent this from happening. Yes, consoles have already exclusives to entice a pc player to buy a console, and while pc has got sandbox games, the one genre they definitely do not have is an open world third person western adventure game.
Think about it: there's mediocre stuff like Juarez, or Gun, but nothing on the scale of RDR. A PC version would actually make consoles look useless in many people's eyes, and I'm not talking about graphics. RDR has probably become an event on the scale of Zelda if not bigger, it's probably the only actual multiplatform killer application left, aside from Kingdom Hearts.

i don't think it's anything nefarious on "console manufactures'" part, at least not beyond standard practice promo kickbacks.

they'll simply make more money having a two pronged release like GTA5 (standard release, next gen/PC "special edition")

MayauMiao

If that's the case they would have paid Rockstar to keep GTAV away from PC. The theory doesn't make a lot of sense, and no way console manufacturer want to pay huge amount of money just to keep 3rd party title from appearing on PC.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
If that's the case they would have paid Rockstar to keep GTAV away from PC. The theory doesn't make a lot of sense, and no way console manufacturer want to pay huge amount of money just to keep 3rd party title from appearing on PC.
Riiiiight.
Just like they don't pay huge amounts of money just to keep 3rd party titles from appearing on other consoles.
Oh, wait. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. It is absolutely no stretch to assume the same being true for the PC platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

As a PC gamer, I'm kinda happy some games do not come to PC. There are way too many games, and way too little time, already.
And if they don't want my money, well, they won't get it ;)

I do have a PS4, but that is used for BluRay and Netflix and that's mostly it.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

You do know it can also play God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne and Spider-Man though? If you’re interested in RDR2, I guess you like singleplayer action games so I don’t see why you wouldn’t use that Bluray/Netflix player of yours to play some of the best games ever made, since you already have it.

Because 60fpstrue4Kmousekeyboardnoinputlagwhatever?

I read last night it was a translation error right when I was falling asleep. Need to find that article again.

And of course it is coming to pc. It probably will take a while but almost everything they release lands on PC too.

And to the poster who said they were glad it wasn’t coming to pc. Are you crazy? GTA plays so much better on PC and from a technical aspect still is a great benchmark.

Last edited:
This just sounds like typical publisher speak because they want to announce it on their terms (after selling millions on console first).

Pretty standard in this industry to say something isn’t happening right up until the “surprise announcement”.

Kenpachii

Unless they implement some usefull multiplayer features i don't see this game having any legs on PC to start with. So yea obviously they rather focus on consoles first.

Last edited:

kaczmar

Of course it coming to the PC. Just in time. Maybe 6 months to a year. Somewhat standard for AAA games to arrive on the PC. Did the PC version of GTA V only sell around 10% of total copies sold? Pure economics people. Rockstar is only to cater to people who buy their games.

Hudo

I thought this has already been debunked as a mistranslation? But if it happens to be true, I guess I just don't play RDR2, then.

Riiiiight.
Just like they don't pay huge amounts of money just to keep 3rd party titles from appearing on other consoles.
Oh, wait. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. It is absolutely no stretch to assume the same being true for the PC platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

As a PC gamer, I'm kinda happy some games do not come to PC. There are way too many games, and way too little time, already.
And if they don't want my money, well, they won't get it ;)

only MS does that and even then not very often. Lets not spew alternative facts here

Fuz

Banned
RCqn.gif

there's mediocre stuff like Juarez
The first two Juarez are not "mediocre", they're actually quite good.
Whole different things from RDR2, though.
unless GTA V sold poorly due to pirated copies
Oh, please.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna worry about it and just get it on PS4, whatever happens, happens and I don't want to keep waiting for the game anyway.

But it's bullshit for Rockstar to put PC gamers in a catch 22 position like that, either tell us it's coming or it's not, you don't even have to give a timetable, just tell us if a PC version is planned, like the most basic fucking thing.

Instead they want to keep quiet as a sleazy tactic to potentially get gamers to double dip, well fuck that, I'm not buying it twice, PC version or not.

I don't even think it'd be worth it tbh if it means waiting another year, my main worry is it will be just six months, which with my luck it probably will be, but if they're going to remain silent then I'm going to assume it won't happen and it won't be my fault if I'm wrong, I can't see the future.

It took me 7 years to finally play RDR to completion because I kept waiting for a PC port that never came, I'm not going through that again, fuck it, it's a console exclusive, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Way to put a damper on an otherwise very exciting game with this bullshit, Rockstar.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It'll be fine on console because it was built for consoles. Any later PC port will once again just have a "all assets turned up" factor which makes it prettier (based upon your hardware), but still intrinsically the same game.

Halo0629

It's rockstar, they can piss gamers all they want but at the end of the day they know people will still buy their game by the millions. I also wanted this for my pc just for the mods alone but looks like its ps4 version for me now.

It'll be fine on console because it was built for consoles. Any later PC port will once again just have a "all assets turned up" factor which makes it prettier (based upon your hardware), but still intrinsically the same game.

Right, I doubt it would be all that different and really worth the extra wait time.

I sincerely doubt it would be like the GTAV Enhanced Edition.

I forgot to mention too that I got I got spoiled on RDR's ending because everyone and their grandmother was talking about it, I'm also not going through that again.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ofcourse it will come to PC. Why else add all that FP animation in it that certainly helped the PC version of GTA V?

Its typically one of those benchmark titles that will see long longevity around graphics cards, so Rockstar would be silly to leave money on the table.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Because 60fpstrue4Kmousekeyboardnoinputlagwhatever?
I see my superiority disturbs you.
Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

I remember playing some Resident Evil on PS3 and some Metroid on Wii an all I was thinking was "this would be so much more comfortable to aim if I had a mouse, in fact it would probably be too easy". If I played a shooter with a controller, I would always feel treated like a baby because there is either aim assist or the game was made extra easy so that people could play it with an inferior input device. Quite simply, I'm just not getting anything from using a controller if I know I could play so much better with mouse & keyboard.
Some games I do play with a controller (like Dark Souls or fighting games, in general games that don't need the accuracy of a high DPI mouse), but for shooters kb&m simply IS superior.

Besides, I vastly prefer sitting in my desk chair versus sitting on the bed when playing games. I also have my second monitor on the side here for some chatting/email/whatever else I need.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
only MS does that and even then not very often. Lets not spew alternative facts here
If you mean with that that only MS pays developers to develop XBox-exclusive titles, then you are sorely mistaken. Why do you think so many supposedly great games come out only on PS4 while the XBox is looking a bit left out?
Tech is not the reason, almost all engines by now are cross-platform.
The developers are handsomely paid for that by Sony, you can look that up everywhere. They are actively funding development of many of those big games, and of course part of that deal is that they won't fund if the game also comes out on XBox. This isn't alternative facts, it's just business at work.

Bullshit. They're going to have one hell of a time explaining to shareholders why they're not going to see hundreds of millions of dollars in sales and microtransactions.

Also fuck double/triple dippers. You guys are the reason why they do delayed launches.

Last edited:

Skyr

Come on guys.. It will obviously be released on PC at some point.

The only reason why RDR1 wasn't made for PC is because the code was a mess and they prolly would have been forced to redo the whole game to meet their quality standards. So they decided against that.

Flapples

guess im finally plugging my xbox one in again, this gives me an excuse to play through MCC at least

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Mainstream AAA games sell most of their copies on consoles so I'm not surprised at the lack of priority for porting to PC..

Fbh

It's obviously comming to PC but probably some time later just like GTAV.

Why release it all at the same time if you can first sell it on current gen consoles and then get a considerable amount of people to double dip by releasing it on next gen consoles and PC

aevanhoe

I see my superiority disturbs you.
Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

I remember playing some Resident Evil on PS3 and some Metroid on Wii an all I was thinking was "this would be so much more comfortable to aim if I had a mouse, in fact it would probably be too easy". If I played a shooter with a controller, I would always feel treated like a baby because there is either aim assist or the game was made extra easy so that people could play it with an inferior input device. Quite simply, I'm just not getting anything from using a controller if I know I could play so much better with mouse & keyboard.
Some games I do play with a controller (like Dark Souls or fighting games, in general games that don't need the accuracy of a high DPI mouse), but for shooters kb&m simply IS superior.

Besides, I vastly prefer sitting in my desk chair versus sitting on the bed when playing games. I also have my second monitor on the side here for some chatting/email/whatever else I need.

Ok, I get why you like PC gaming, but still, some great games on the console. But hey, if you don’t like it, you don’t.

Sometimes I feel lucky that I like games everywhere. If it’s good it’s good. Some people just avoid certain systems because they have very specific tastes and, even though I’m glad I can enjoy everything, this is ok and I have nothing to add.

Brizzo24

Bummer for PC owners. On a similar note, and since I haven't been paying close attention to the upcoming release, are there any considerable differences between the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions? Remember how RDR on the 360 had a much better native resolution compared to the PS3?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They're putting the series in the vault (a console vault) and then years down the road they "might" release it for PC. I bought every single title of theirs on iOS. I can't imagine having Bully on my iOS device and never having Red Dead Redemption on PC. It doesn't really bother me because I own a device to play their games. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'll get it day one because I'm look forward to it. If you have consoles and want the game just buy it and don't buy it again for PC if it ever releases.

Of course they are going to say no. A part of me wants it to never come to PC just to see all those salty salty tears and frothing at the mouth from the gamers hahahaa

Last edited:
Top Bottom