• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

I'll wait until the PC version, I don't have a Pro or X and I'm not interested in playing it on the base PS4. I'm also not interested in paying $400 to $500 when they're going to be around for another two years tops until next gen.

If Pro drops to $300 this xmas then maybe....

aevanhoe

Just because you like SP games doesn’t automatically mean you like what Sony makes

Sure, you can dislike one or two of them, but these are critically and popularly most revered action sp games of this generation. They are also very different from one another (similar only in quality), so I find it odd you can dislike things that “Sony makes” like it’s the same studio that made them.

Of course people have different tastes, but these games are so diverse, so high quality and so well made - if you don’t want to play at least one or two PS4 exclusives: I dare say you don’t like this type of games at all. And that includes RDR2, btw.

The reason why they are among the best is simple: Sony’s business model lets their well-funded developers take time. GoW, Horizon - they were made in 5 or more years. Of course a 2 year developed game is going to be of lower quality. The point is - and this is not a fanboy view, it’s a fact - if you like narrative, single player action games and not playing the Sony exclusives - you’re missing out this generation. Of course, not everyone likes this type of games (like, you’re into MP) - perfectly fine. And of course, there will always be someone who honestly dislikes all those different games for some reason - but that’s a small majority. In fact, I’m guessing the one and only reason why some people dislike them is - they are Sony exclusives.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sure, you can dislike one or two of them, but these are critically and popularly most revered action sp games of this generation. They are also very different from one another (similar only in quality), so I find it odd you can dislike things that “Sony makes” like it’s the same studio that made them.

Of course people have different tastes, but these games are so diverse, so high quality and so well made - if you don’t want to play at least one or two PS4 exclusives: I dare say you don’t like this type of games at all. And that includes RDR2, btw.

The reason why they are among the best is simple: Sony’s business model lets their well-funded developers take time. GoW, Horizon - they were made in 5 or more years. Of course a 2 year developed game is going to be of lower quality. The point is - and this is not a fanboy view, it’s a fact - if you like narrative, single player action games and not playing the Sony exclusives - you’re missing out this generation. Of course, not everyone likes this type of games (like, you’re into MP) - perfectly fine. And of course, there will always be someone who honestly dislikes all those different games for some reason - but that’s a small majority. In fact, I’m guessing the one and only reason why some people dislike them is - they are Sony exclusives.

In my opinion you can easily say if you dislike one of them you’d dislike them all, cause they are all alike except for Spider-Man.

Take for an example GoW and TLoU, they are basically the same formulae. A cinematic game where you walk around with a kid.

Kadayi

Banned
giphy.gif

If people can afford a modern PC with today's GPU prices I'm pretty sure they can afford an Xbox or PS4, so I never really get this 'salt' thing, as if PC gamers are somehow the poor cousins in the equation.

Solomeena

Banned
Some shitty trolls in this thread, you can tell these are the people who can't afford the best gaming machine, PC's.

aevanhoe

In my opinion you can easily say if you dislike one of them you’d dislike them all, cause they are all alike except for Spider-Man.

Take for an example GoW and TLoU, they are basically the same formulae. A cinematic game where you walk around with a kid.

Sure they are. Yes, The Last of Us and God of War - basically the same game. Because there is a kid and you walk around, yes. So, you’re actually not missing out - there is just one Sony game anyway. Oh, sorry, no - two, not that there is Spider-Man.

aevanhoe

Some shitty trolls in this thread, you can tell these are the people who can't afford the best gaming machine, PC's.

I don’t know, man, I’m not the one claiming God of War and The Last of Us are basically the same game, while a PC version of GTA V is “almost a completely new game compared to the console one”. Both things could be read in this thread, so who’s trolling here exactly?

Also, while I have a good gaming PC, for my taste in games it is not the best gaming machine currently, sorry.

pawel86ck

Banned
Come on guys.. It will obviously be released on PC at some point.

The only reason why RDR1 wasn't made for PC is because the code was a mess and they prolly would have been forced to redo the whole game to meet their quality standards. So they decided against that.
That explanation is extremely cheap. Besides RDR for so many years I havent heard many developers giving the same cheap excuse for not porting their game (some developers talked about problems but they have ported their game anyway). If rockstar would see enough reasons to port RDR 1 to PC, they would do it even if it would require a lot of work. PS3 version unlike x360 version was extremely difficult to code (because of CELL CPU), yet they have released their game on PS3 anyway.

People say GTA was ported to PC eventually, but they forget GTA was always a PC series too. Previous two red dead games on the other hand were console exclusives

Last edited:

nkarafo

No PC, no buy. I'm done with sub 30fps games. Don't care how good it will be, it's still going to be a crippled version. I didn't enjoy GTA V until i played the PC version, not going to do the same mistake.

Codes 208

I plan on buying on ps4, but one less option isnt automatically better. And considering what i can only imagine be easy porting to pc considering the architecture, its odd that they'd opt out a pc port.

Did gta5 on pc not sell so well or something? I mean, im certain the ps3/ps4 systems sold a lion's share but still.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Did gta5 on pc not sell so well or something?

~10 million on Steam, plus R*'s own main platform and retail. My completely untrustworthy wild guess is that it's somewhere between 15-20 million for the PC version, but who the hell knows, Rockstar has never broken down the platforms for some reason..

Last edited:
No PC, no buy. I'm done with sub 30fps games. Don't care how good it will be, it's still going to be a crippled version. I didn't enjoy GTA V until i played the PC version, not going to do the same mistake.
I applaud you sir. Wish I had such a strong will to not torture myself at launch. At least it shouldn't be as pathetic as 360 version of GTA5.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Sony obliterated the competition this generation it's not even close. There will always be delusional fanboys in denial that will downplay every single sony release you can't win them over and you don't need to. If it's a sony exclusive no matter who the developers are and what they have created it will get hate. Xbox is a farce not even competing anymore, wii u was a serious contender for worst console this century and the switch just got here so it will take a few years for great games to come to it, really right now it only it has one great exclusive (mario odyssey) SMT5 is also looking promising.

As for Red dead not coming to pc is why I think you can't play exclusively on pc you would miss out too much or you have to wait forever for a release. Like it's cool it's getting more games these days like let's say yakuza kiwami and 0 but is it getting kiwami 2 and 6? Any of the future installments? That cool spin off game that just got announced for ps4? Who knows! It's like playing rolling the dice with every release.

Last edited:
There are challenges in GTA Online that allow you to unlock gear in Red Dead 2 early. They are in all three versions of the game, and completion counts separately (i.e. you'll be asked to do the challenges again if you hop onto another platform).
So that raises the question: Why would the PC version have its own RDR2 challenge if the game isn't coming out for it?
Answer: It will... eventually.

So yeah, this is probably just PR to deter people from waiting for the PC version, and instead double dip on both console and PC (when it's released). Lord knows that strategy worked for GTAV.

nani17

are in a big trouble
You do know this was a mistranslation? Also, why would they regret millions of dollars Red Dead wasn't the first game to not launch on PC only for the second one to arrive on PC.

If you think about it logically when GTA V made them millions on that added to their already millions that the console made why in gods name would you say nah we won't do that again sure our investors wouldn't care about it neither do we. Remember we went through the exact same thing with GTAV. Oh it's not coming to PC bla bla bla yet it did I remember aritcals saying PC gaming is dead that why we won't get GTAV :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We'll buy it on the console and then on PC when it comes out just like everyone did with GTAV. Some people even bought the three different versions. Will they do that again?

cryogenic7

It will DEFINITELY come to PC. They pulled the same scam with GTA5. Mark this post. It's Going to come out, they just want people to double dip.

waylo

Banned
If people can afford a modern PC with today's GPU prices I'm pretty sure they can afford an Xbox or PS4, so I never really get this 'salt' thing, as if PC gamers are somehow the poor cousins in the equation.

Ditto. I've got a graphics card alone worth more than an X1X. If I wanted to game on a gimped console, I could no problem. However, performance and framerates are king to me, thus I don't.

I'm annoyed that Rockstar is intentionally holding a release back to try and bait people into double dipping, but I'm hardly salty about not gaming on a console.

Last edited:
This is where the fantasy of PC gaming crashes into the iceberg of reality. No AAA exclusives. Uncertainty about console ports. And waiting endlessly in bitterness to play Rockstar games. All of which may be acceptable to an enthusiast but if I’m talking to a parent with a kid who just wants to play some games, I’m not directing them to pcpartpicker.com. This shit is supposed to be easy...and above all that...fun. Some here have clearly lost the plot.

Bu..but ..what about that Peecee Masta race dou.

drotahorror

This thread just reminded me I need to cancel my preorder on PS4.

I'll wait for PC or grab it when it's $20.

Love RDR and GTA, but Rockstar's not fooling me this time.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I love a good story and gameplay. I enjoy them more running at 144+ FPS.

So what are you gonna do about it if such options aren't provided to you?

Still waiting for games like Zelda breath of the wild and horizon zero Dawn to be released on PC in order to play it at 144fps?

Last edited:

Kreydo

Well the thread goes wild rather quickly on the "Hurrhurr console versus PC war"... Between the PC Master race claiming they can't play under 144 FPS and the mongoloids console only fans thinking they have the gaming graal, this board look day after day even more retarded.
Don't change anything guys.

Still waiting for games like Zelda breath of the wild and horizon zero Dawn to be released on PC in order to play it at 144fps?
Btw you can play Zelda BoTW in 1080p 60FPS on PC while you can't on Switch, and beside Sony fanboys everybody knows Horizon : Zero Dawn is an overated game.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well the thread goes wild rather quickly on the "Hurrhurr console versus PC war"... Between the PC Master race claiming they can't play under 144 FPS and the mongoloids console only fans thinking they have the gaming graal, this board look day after day even more retarded.

Btw you can play Zelda BoTW in 1080p 60FPS on PC while you can't on Switch, and beside Sony fanboys everybody knows Horizon : Zero Dawn is an overated game.

What's with the passive agressive response?

You see..I'm just merely asking for questions

ruvikx

Banned

Imagine there's someone out there who refuses to play Red Dead Redemption (2010) because... it's not on PC. Oh sure, you can play it backwards compatible on Xbox One (it's smooth & looks great) & on Xbox One X (it's smooth a looks even greater), whilst it's also available on the base Xbox 360 & PS3 as well (although I'd honestly not recommend the latter)… but nope, there's that one "someone" who's sitting there waiting to play with John Marston on his RTX 2080 powered PC.

Yep. Now think about 'who' the real mongoloid is (or to be precise who actually just doesn't give a sh*t about gaming & is more interested in tech instead). Here's the truth: Red Dead Redemption 2 was built for 2013 consoles as a baseline. That's a fact. No amount of throwing PC hardware at the game will fundamentally change it. I've been there & done that myself & I've quite frankly been left underwhelmed more often than not.

If the PS4 version at 1080p has a stable framerate, then that version will pretty much be what the game was designed to be.

Lort

Banned
~10 million on Steam, plus R*'s own main platform and retail. My completely untrustworthy wild guess is that it's somewhere between 15-20 million for the PC version, but who the hell knows, Rockstar has never broken down the platforms for some reason..

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...-profitable-entertainment-product-of-all-time

Thats about %10 of sales ... and as always PC fans make up 90% of those who complain, about including a playable woman .. or that it doesnt run at 144 fps on their malware infected potato.

AlexxKidd

This thread just reminded me I need to cancel my preorder on PS4.

I'll wait for PC or grab it when it's $20.

Love RDR and GTA, but Rockstar's not fooling me this time.

Just like they fooled you with Red Dead Redemption 1. Its only been 8 years, keep waiting, you could be enjoying Marston's zany 2010 adventures for $20 on PC at any moment now, right?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Didn't they wait until the next gen (now current) release of GTAV before announcing a PC version?

Mattyp

Gold Member
I love a good story and gameplay. I enjoy them more running at 144+ FPS.
Did you enjoy one of the greatest SP games (RDR) of last gen then even though it wasn't available in 144 then and never will be?

I feel terribly sorry for the amount of great games people miss out on just because it's not available to be played in 60+FPS and never will be with that line of thinking.

prag16

Banned
I'm a big PC guy and I do enjoy laughing about that 'console peasants' and their petty squabbling. But I do own a PS4, and I don't give a shit about frame rates above 60. I enjoy laughing at the 144fps elitists as well, when they take it to the extreme of refusing to play certain games as a result.

Really, it's the place to be: In a position to look down on everyone. No favoritism. :)

NahaNago

It will come to pc eventually. Maybe not this gen but it will come. It does make me wonder if they are gonna manage to crank out gta 6 before the end of this gen. If the ps5 releases next year , they can release gta6 before it comes out and wait around a year and release the next gen version and 6 months after that release the pc version for that triple dip.

Rockstar hates PC gamers.
And PC gamers should hate them after they literally sent private investigators after modders that created the equivalent of Garry's Mod with custom gamemode/scripting support (FiveM) in GTAV because they weren't getting shark card money off roleplayers.... A community that has been modding the GTA series over half a decade before Rockstar even had multiplayer functionality of their own.

Then they tried to cease and desist OpenIV (the toolkit used to create custom content in the RAGE engine). Seriously, fuck Take Two/Rockstar.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
So what are you gonna do about it if such options aren't provided to you?

I'm just going to not play them. Believe it or not, I don't feel compelled to play literally everything. In the case of RDR2, I would like to play it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. There is plenty of other stuff to play.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
So much bitterness in this thread. It will come to PC eventually I imagine. I’ll be playing on a base PS4. Laughing at comments of people saying, I wouldn’t bother playing on a base machine etc etc. I don’t see why not, I considered doing a mid cycle upgrade but for me it was just not worth it. I could afford it but I’ll just wait and get a nice new 4K tv and next gen console at launch.

I have faith the game will still look absolutely amazing on a base PS4. Rockstar made me have faith after what they could do on a 360\PS3 with GTAV.

One question though. Surely we all probably think that the next gen of consoles will be backwards compatible, am I right? So why would we double dip on console??? Surely it would just have some sort of enchanced feature? I wouldn’t imagine rockstar would spend time developing an entire new set of features for next gen? Maybe I’m wrong. I can understand the idea that people are annoyed at it not launching on PC though and seeing it as a cash grab. But hey ho, they’re a business and it seems many will stick by their guns and not purchase until a PC launch. For me though this looks like an experience not to be missed and can not wait to jump in.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned

Action games aren't quite what I'm after.
Sony gave up making well-funded exclusive single player JRPGs years ago. Wild Arms was probably closest at one time, then they passed localization onto other publishers until it fizzled out.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Action games aren't quite what I'm after.
Sony gave up making well-funded exclusive single player JRPGs years ago. Wild Arms was probably closest at one time, then they passed localization onto other publishers until it fizzled out.

Probably JRPGs limited appeal made Sony do more action oriented games that is almost always sell better.

I reckon they will wait and see how it sells and what the PC demand is like. They clearly had a reason not to put the first one out on PC - not surprising they are adopting a ‘wait and see’ approach IMO

MoaM

Neo Member
I'd rather it stay on consoles like the last game, seems kind-of odd to do horse-controls with PC and mouse; didn't enjoy it in Witcher 3.

drotahorror

Just like they fooled you with Red Dead Redemption 1. Its only been 8 years, keep waiting, you could be enjoying Marston's zany 2010 adventures for $20 on PC at any moment now, right?

I'm not even sure what that means. I never expected RDR1 to come to PC back then, in fact my PC was garbage then and I didn't even care. I was talking about being fooled with GTAV. They got a triple kill on me with that one.

AlexxKidd

I'm not even sure what that means. I never expected RDR1 to come to PC back then, in fact my PC was garbage then and I didn't even care. I was talking about being fooled with GTAV. They got a triple kill on me with that one.

Thought it was pretty clear what it meant. You said "Love RDR and GTA, but Rockstar's not fooling me this time" in reference to canceling the "preorder" on your PS4 (why would you need to preorder a system thats already out? SpiderMan bundles are out and limited edition 500 mill consoles out, so right away you canceling your "preorder" on your PS4 sounded suspect) not double dipping on the console version of RDR2 and waiting for a PC release where you can find it for "$20."

You may have had a point if this were GTA6 we were talking about, but this is RDR2, and considering RDR1 isnt even on pc yet after 8 years, it sounds pretty silly. Not only are you waiting for this phantom port, youre waiting for said phantom port to hit $20.

Top Bottom