• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

drotahorror

Thought it was pretty clear what it meant. You said "Love RDR and GTA, but Rockstar's not fooling me this time" in reference to canceling the "preorder" on your PS4 (why would you need to preorder a system thats already out? SpiderMan bundles are out and limited edition 500 mill consoles out, so right away you canceling your "preorder" on your PS4 sounded suspect) not double dipping on the console version of RDR2 and waiting for a PC release where you can find it for "$20."

You may have had a point if this were GTA6 we were talking about, but this is RDR2, and considering RDR1 isnt even on pc yet after 8 years, it sounds pretty silly. Not only are you waiting for this phantom port, youre waiting for said phantom port to hit $20.

I cancelled the RDR2 preorder on PS4 you dimwit. I was talking about the PS4 version hitting $20.

AlexxKidd

I cancelled the RDR2 preorder on PS4 you dimwit. I was talking about the PS4 version hitting $20.

Wait thats even crazier, youre going to wait until the PS4 version is $20? Grand Theft Auto V came out five years ago and still isn't $20 on PS4. Youre welcome "dimwit."

Paracelsus

Wait thats even crazier, youre going to wait until the PS4 version is $20? Grand Theft Auto V came out five years ago and still isn't $20 on PS4. Youre welcome "dimwit."

You can totally find a 20$ copy anywhere you want. Nobody cares about official price drops from publishers.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

You can totally find a 20$ copy anywhere you want. Nobody cares about official price drops from publishers.

Ok then by this logic Ill go ahead and say ill pick it up day 1 from someone on Craigslist for 5 bucks. Perhaps theyll even give it to me for free, its certainly not impossible.

Zewp

You do know it can also play God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne and Spider-Man though? If you’re interested in RDR2, I guess you like singleplayer action games so I don’t see why you wouldn’t use that Bluray/Netflix player of yours to play some of the best games ever made, since you already have it.

Because 60fpstrue4Kmousekeyboardnoinputlagwhatever?

Best games ever made? That's incredibly subjective. None of those would even rank in my top 20 list.

ruvikx

Banned
Best games ever made? That's incredibly subjective. None of those would even rank in my top 20 list.

Bloodborne is very, very good (artistically some levels are borderline masterpiece). Horizon Zero Dawn was hideous, though, i.e. that's my opinion based upon 3 decades of gaming in which open world blockbusters have been my usual go-to genre. I'd take the Middle-Earth Mordor games (both Shadow of Mordor & Shadow of War) over Horizon any day. The story was preposterous (Battlefield Earth-esque) yet hilariously totally full of itself & self-importance, the art style was gross (mishmash of native American & some other tribal weirdness), the dialogue cringe-worthy & humourless, whilst the gameplay loop (hide in grass, scan enemies, choose right weapon for the job) quickly became very tedious after a few hours.

It's my own champion of the 'overhyped' title this gen. As for Red Dead not coming to PC, I repeat what I've already said before: it was designed for consoles & it's a console game. Any PC "port" would be exactly that, a port which might look prettier & run at higher framerate, but that's about it.

Elenchus

Banned
Bloodborne is very, very good (artistically some levels are borderline masterpiece). Horizon Zero Dawn was hideous, though, i.e. that's my opinion based upon 3 decades of gaming in which open world blockbusters have been my usual go-to genre. I'd take the Middle-Earth Mordor games (both Shadow of Mordor & Shadow of War) over Horizon any day. The story was preposterous (Battlefield Earth-esque) yet hilariously totally full of itself & self-importance, the art style was gross (mishmash of native American & some other tribal weirdness), the dialogue cringe-worthy & humourless, whilst the gameplay loop (hide in grass, scan enemies, choose right weapon for the job) quickly became very tedious after a few hours.

It's my own champion of the 'overhyped' title this gen. As for Red Dead not coming to PC, I repeat what I've already said before: it was designed for consoles & it's a console game. Any PC "port" would be exactly that, a port which might look prettier & run at higher framerate, but that's about it.

Totally agree on Horizon. Struggling to go back to it to finish. Really found it kinda tedious. Just finished Spider-Man last night and can’t believe that game got so many 9s and 10s. The web slinging is absolutely glorious and I could do it for hours and the combat is pretty good (although the enemy encounters are so repetitive) but the game has way too much jank. Glitches everywhere (npcs floating in air, getting trapped in weird animations, etc). Plus all those loading screens and the terrible side missions (chasing pigeons? looking for toy cats in windows? swinging through smog clouds? really?). Also, except for the first one with Kingpin, the boss fights were also poorly designed web web web and then press triangle for canned quick time combo attack ordeals. People saying this game is even in the same stadium as God of War have lost their minds. It’s a fun game. Nothing more. A solid 7. But people on this forum treat every Sony exclusive like a masterpiece. And some are actually crazy enough to compare those games to RDR2. I play everything I have time for but you have to understand that Rockstar is operating on a different level. Whether you play it on PS4 or Xbox, RDR2 is a must play title.

Last edited:

Kreydo

Bloodborne is very, very good (artistically some levels are borderline masterpiece). Horizon Zero Dawn was hideous, though, i.e....

I finished Bloodborne and it's good but the environement just become boring after few hours... Dark Soul III is imo better in almost everyway and is multi-platform.
Played Horizon Zero Dawn for few hours before droping it... The game got some cool action combat, but his open world is pointless, the story is dull as the main character and all the NPC that live in that fancy emptyshell.
Tried Marvel Spiderman 30min then I let my GF play it... The game is just about showcase while the gameplay is extremly repetitive, heavily scripted, very easy or dificult for the bad reason(sudden QTE, fail infiltration)... The game play like a movie, but a 15 hours movie where you have to listen endless cutscene, and travel from building to building to set up antena or to recover backpacks...
I didn't played GOW yet...

Btw your point of view about game potential on PC is biased, seems you are just trying to convince yourself. PC gamers don't care you know... If they choosed to invest in a rig that cost 5 times a console it mean they could also afford to play on those console, but they didn't want it.

Take my case for example, I have PS4 pro my(gf console) and I have a gaming PC(pluged to my 4KTV)... First I won't buy RDR2 because I will not pay for a lesser version. And since I discovered modding in 2012 I just can't play open world game without mods.
So for me RDR2 will be PC only or nothing, I'll sleep well anyway since I'm not a big fan of Rockstar.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Take my case for example, I have PS4 pro my(gf console) and I have a gaming PC(pluged to my 4KTV)... First I won't buy RDR2 because I will not pay for a lesser version. And since I discovered modding in 2012 I just can't play open world game without mods.
So for me RDR2 will be PC only or nothing, I'll sleep well anyway since I'm not a big fan of Rockstar.

I know what I'm talking about to a certain extent considering I have a PC equipped with a GTX 1080 & an I7 8700 CPU. In the scheme of PC gaming, it's a competent machine. I also have a 1440p screen & yes, some PC games are massively better than their console counterparts (racing titles especially). Still, I do get sick & tired of some persistent tech issues (microstutter in certain titles which makes 60fps on PC seem worse than 30fps on console) & I've seen enough really well made/highly optimized console games in recent years (Uncharted 4's jungles looked great) to have zero concern about Red Dead 2's graphics.

Even Horizon looked good in terms of tech on the base PS4. I loved Red Dead 1 so I'm somewhat looking forward to this.

Zewp

Completely agreed. I just don't get the love for Horizon. Post-release I thought it was going to be the best game ever, simply because robot dinosaurs in a primitive setting sounds awesome. But the actual game is just all kinds of meh. If you played open-world games between 2010-2017, you've already seen everything that Horizon has to offer gameplay-wise. It just throws a bunch of generic open-world genre tropes into a game and hopes for the best.

When even Ubisoft realised that people are tired of playing the same open-world game with a different skin and changed their games accordingly, it's inexcusable for a game like Horizon to give us a rehash of those tropes.

Kreydo

Still, I do get sick & tired of some persistent tech issues (microstutter in certain titles which makes 60fps on PC seem worse than 30fps on console) & I've seen enough really well made/highly optimized console games in recent years (Uncharted 4's jungles looked great) to have zero concern about Red Dead 2's graphics.
I disagree on this, I played TES Skyrim with 160+ mods with a frame rate going from 100 to 20 depending of the situation and by NO means I would like to have played any of the console version instead.
About graphics console texture are always mid quality while 4K or more on PC, and shadows are most of the time heavily toned down and make the game look a bit dull or washed out. I like to max those setting and very often use a reshade on my game to make the game alive, with better black and more vibrant (The Witcher III is a great example of what you can get).

Still you are right, some console title like Uncharted 4, Horizon and GoW are jaw dropping. But I won't play those games for more than 12-15 hours?...Like I did for hundred of hours on Skyrim, Witcher III or Fallout NewVegas with all my modification on PC.
I'm totally aware i'm not representative of the mainstream, I just give you the reason why I won't buy RDR2 and don't care much about those superficial exclusive console games.

Last edited:
4 pages and nobody gived good reason to believe it's going to PC, except double dip bs.

Yup, there is no smoking gun reason, it's possible but it's not a guarantee.

Rockstar has always played it kinda random with PC releases, The Warriors and the original version of Bully never got one, same with RDR1 of course, outside of GTA it's a crapshoot.

And because RDR never did it may be that Rockstar have chosen just to keep RDR a console only franchise.

Last edited:

Stuart360

GTAV has sold millions on Steam alone, its barely left the Top 10 on Steam since its released lol.
Yes i REALLY believe the game isn't coming to PC, yes i do.

Vawn

Banned
4 years and nobody has given good reason to believe it isn't coming to PC, eventually.

Besides Rockstar saying Red Dead Redemption 1 was console-only, PC players saying "yeah, right...", Red Dead Redemption 1 never coming to PC and Rockstar saying Red Dead Redemption 2 was console-only?

AlexxKidd

Besides Rockstar saying Red Dead Redemption 1 was console-only, PC players saying "yeah, right...", Red Dead Redemption 1 never coming to PC and Rockstar saying Red Dead Redemption 2 was console-only?

I'd say those are pretty good reasons. Red Dead Redemption 1 is the smoking gun for me. I get where the "yeah right" people are coming from, I'd probably feel the same way too if not for the fact that RDR eight years later is still console exclusive. And I don't buy the "they can't port it" nonsense, they could have RDR on Steam tomorrow if they wanted to.

nani17

are in a big trouble
4 pages and nobody gived good reason to believe it's going to PC, except double dip bs.

I already have a very good reason that doesn't involve double dipping. GTAV has made millions on steam and on the rockstar launcher on PC. Why would they turn away millions of dollars when they know they can make it. Remember they're a company first that have investors who would want them to push for a PC and console release.

We went through the very same BS with GTAV. Articles saying it wasn't coming, reports from supposed devs saying GTAV wasn't on rockstars mind yet it happened. Use common sense would you turn away millions of dollars which in turn netted you billions of dollars combined with the console launch, no you wouldn't no company would.

People see Rockstar as oh the nice company but looks like they're going the same way as everyone else with tons of microtransactions because again they're a fucking company that needs/wants to make money. After such success with GTAV on all platforms, why not do it again oh "because of the first one wasn't on PC" imagine saying that in a shareholders meeting when they get informed on their future investments :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Sorry lads we're not making a PC version because the first one wasn't on PC. Sure no problem Rockstar who needs the 20 plus million we made GTAV, not including the microtransactions." People aren't using the old brain IMO. Not mocking people at all here I mean no disrespect but just think about it

thelastword

Banned
GTA has a history of getting to PC eventually, the other games not so much.....

Wish rockstar would give us a new state of emergency and smugglers run though, with Crackdown 3 being in limbo, SOE would be a pretty insane release, especially with all those people on screen, very impressive game at the time.....As for smuggler's run, this is what Onrush should have been...

As for RDR 2, it would be great if it went to PC, but knowing Rockstar, they want to maximize console sales, especially if the game gets a high meta score....Next gen they may remaster it and drop it on consoles+PC....Yet, we said that would happen for the first RDR and it didn't, so maybe Rockstar only does that for GTA.....

They might be speaking the truth "you know".gif......

Last edited:

Horns

I'd be willing to bet it comes to PC eventually. Rockstar is treating the RDR franchise like they treat GTA. As others have said, they stay mum on the PC version for a long while. People will buy it for consoles because they want to play it. Then they will announce a PC version. Their strategy is double and triple dippers.

What would be amazing is if they released RDR1 along with RDR2. People would gladly double dip for that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Plenty of other games to play in the meantime, if it doesn’t come to PC I’ll probably play it in a few years when I get a used PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
6z47nSz.jpg

I love Devolver "pie_tears_joy:

Teletraan1

Banned
I caved with GTA5. I should have waited and bought the PC version. I didn't really love the first game so I can definitely wait.

A.Romero

Of course it's coming. No telling when but there is no reason why they wouldn't publish it on PC given GTAV numbers.

Darius87

GTA5 example is wrong for reason that is different game you can't say RDR2 will do as well in sales, that's would be blatantly wrong, GTA is best selling gaming franchise, and Rockstar is big company, even though RDR2 would sell half as much as GTA5 on pc given period of 5 years, my estimate would be around 5mln so 1mln a year and that's optimistically speaking, to rockstar that would make little difference compared what consoles sales would be given that GTA5 total sales are around 95+mln which of pc are around 10+mln, so main income comes from consoles and what's left is crumbs and with RDR2 this margin potentially could be bigger for reason that RDR2 would be first game on pc, add to that piracy other nuances and efforts to make PC version disapears.

nani17

are in a big trouble
GTA5 example is wrong for reason that is different game you can't say RDR2 will do as well in sales, that's would be blatantly wrong, GTA is best selling gaming franchise, and Rockstar is big company, even though RDR2 would sell half as much as GTA5 on pc given period of 5 years, my estimate would be around 5mln so 1mln a year and that's optimistically speaking, to rockstar that would make little difference compared what consoles sales would be given that GTA5 total sales are around 95+mln which of pc are around 10+mln, so main income comes from consoles and what's left is crumbs and with RDR2 this margin potentially could be bigger for reason that RDR2 would be first game on pc, add to that piracy other nuances and efforts to make PC version disapears.

You do know that the ps4 is jailbroken people have pirated UFC 3 and spiderman already plus PC Piracy is harder to do then it ever was especially now that one of its biggest crackers has been arrested.

Your estimate are without a doubt completely fucking stupid. RDR2 will out sell GTAV on the ps4 and Xbox one. It will also out sell the PC version that I can assure you.

Again I ask you why in gods name would a company reject millions even if its half of gta.

Darius87

You do know that the ps4 is jailbroken people have pirated UFC 3 and spiderman already plus PC Piracy is harder to do then it ever was especially now that one of its biggest crackers has been arrested.
PS4 jailbrake is a joke compared to pc piracy, there's many more on pc side and it's much easier to crack the game then try to install cracked firmware on ps4, gta5 was raped by pirates on pc, that's also brings potential revenue down, rockstar knows it.
Your estimate are without a doubt completely fucking stupid. RDR2 will out sell GTAV on the ps4 and Xbox one.
First RDR on 360, ps3 sold around 13mln+ now you expect RDR2 would sell more then 80mln, no way.
It will also out sell the PC version that I can assure you.
There wont be PC version stop dreaming.
Again I ask you why in gods name would a company reject millions even if its half of gta
told you already pc sales are crumbs compared to consoles, i guess that's not big of the difference for rockstar.

Hari Seldon

I’m waiting for the pc version and if it doesn’t come out I’ll just buy this used in a few years. I can certainly wait.

Journey

Banned

Exactly, Red Dead never made it to PC, why are we using GTA as an example; a game that traditionally always made it to PC?

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
PS4 jailbrake is a joke compared to pc piracy, there's many more on pc side and it's much easier to crack the game then try to install cracked firmware on ps4, gta5 was raped by pirates on pc, that's also brings potential revenue down, rockstar knows it.

First RDR on 360, ps3 sold around 13mln+ now you expect RDR2 would sell more then 80mln, no way.

There wont be PC version stop dreaming.

told you already pc sales are crumbs compared to consoles, i guess that's not big of the difference for rockstar.

They made over 30 million crumbs lol not including microtransactions. Again you failed to answer why would a company refuse money like that especially when their last title on PC made that much money even though it was cracked after 5 months. THEY'RE A COMPANY WHAT DONT YOU GET.

RedVIper

Banned

"Raped by pirates", get out of here dude, it has been one of the best selling games on steam since release, the amount of people that pirated the game is minuscule compared to the ones who bought it. Also one of the reasons the sales are lower on pc is simply because the game had already realeased on consoles, it took like a year (more?) for the game to release on pc obviously most fans had already bought it and they were unwilling to double dip, even if a lot did. There's probably more than 15mln sales on pc btw thats around 15% of their sales, do you really think they don't care about that?

Anyway the game might not realease on pc but its definitly not because "pirates" are killing the sales.

cryogenic7

I remember all the people telling me for months that GTA5 was NOT going to come out on PC. I laughed and said "Wrong!" I was right. The same people are saying the same thing about RDR2. Again, they are wrong and I am right. RDR2 is coming to PC. Guaranteed!
BTW I own XBX1X and PS4 pro since they were released, I am not a PC warrior.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
GTA V was released on PC and it sold well I think.
GTA V was never a console exclusive though. Did Rockstar ever call it that? Also it sold waaaaaay more on consoles but that is besides the point.

A.Romero

Even if it didn't sell to the levels of GTAV I don't think that not releasing on PC would be a smart decision.

The only situation I can imagine they would chose not to port would be if they were already working on their next project and don't have the manpower to handle both. However, we are talking about one of the biggest development houses in the industry, there is no way they wouldn't have the resources or mechanisms to outsource the project.

It's coming to PC. Maybe a year later but it's coming. Let's not forget that LinkedIn screens that were news a few months ago: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-2-might-be-coming-to-pc-as-wel/1100-6460012/

GSoda

Neo Member
It's weird how many ppl seem stuck on the line of reasoning that RDR2 won't release on PC because RDR1 didn't.

*Of course* RDR2 will release on PC. It's pretty naive to think otherwise.

Darius87

They made over 30 million crumbs lol not including microtransactions. Again you failed to answer why would a company refuse money like that especially when their last title on PC made that much money even though it was cracked after 5 months. THEY'RE A COMPANY WHAT DONT YOU GET.
Compared to consoles it's crumbs remember we're talking about RDR2 potential sales i gave GTA5 as best scenario example but RDR2 it's total different game and mixing both in popularity doesn't make potential RDR2 sales as GTA5 and that's your answer, why it won't realease on pc different game for different auditory.
"Raped by pirates", get out of here dude, it has been one of the best selling games on steam since release, the amount of people that pirated the game is minuscule compared to the ones who bought it. Also one of the reasons the sales are lower on pc is simply because the game had already realeased on consoles, it took like a year (more?) for the game to release on pc obviously most fans had already bought it and they were unwilling to double dip, even if a lot did. There's probably more than 15mln sales on pc btw thats around 15% of their sales, do you really think they don't care about that?

Anyway the game might not realease on pc but its definitly not because "pirates" are killing the sales.
I've never said that's only reason because of pirates, the bigger amount of sales means more pirated version of the game, that's logic, and that's not miniscule, 1 year doesn't make that big of difference of total sales even so doesn't make up for 80mln deficit and 15% of gta sales doesn't mean it would be 15% with RDR2 actually worse given that would be first game on pc and second on consoles.
I remember all the people telling me for months that GTA5 was NOT going to come out on PC. I laughed and said "Wrong!" I was right. The same people are saying the same thing about RDR2. Again, they are wrong and I am right. RDR2 is coming to PC. Guaranteed!
BTW I own XBX1X and PS4 pro since they were released, I am not a PC warrior.
How stupid bring up GTA that has nothing to do with RDR2 and how stupid to say that GTA5 won't come to pc knowing that previous itterentions was on pc, but RDR2 has no history on pc.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Compared to consoles it's crumbs remember we're talking about RDR2 potential sales i gave GTA5 as best scenario example but RDR2 it's total different game and mixing both in popularity doesn't make potential RDR2 sales as GTA5 and that's your answer, why it won't realease on pc different game for different auditory.

I've never said that's only reason because of pirates, the bigger amount of sales means more pirated version of the game, that's logic, and that's not miniscule, 1 year doesn't make that big of difference of total sales even so doesn't make up for 80mln deficit and 15% of gta sales doesn't mean it would be 15% with RDR2 actually worse given that would be first game on pc and second on consoles.

How stupid bring up GTA that has nothing to do with RDR2 and how stupid to say that GTA5 won't come to pc knowing that previous itterentions was on pc, but RDR2 has no history on pc.

Crumbs or not it's money my god I've explained it enough to you it's like I'm talking to a child. I'm not one for mocking someone online but FFS you really are hard to talk to. Some games dont even make 30 million you know that.

Go ask your dad or mom or a friend. Dad if you could make an extra 30million odd on top of the already 60 million you made would you do it? See what mommy and daddy say.

The reason RDR2 is not announced is that Rockstar doesn't make PC ports at all. They respect the buyer and want to give them a quality game unlike most companies that just port it over

Last edited:

Darius87

It's weird how many ppl seem stuck on the line of reasoning that RDR2 won't release on PC because RDR1 didn't.

*Of course* RDR2 will release on PC. It's pretty naive to think otherwise.
Naive is when poeple believe something for no reason, i don't think there's reasonable option to believe RDR2 will come to pc, rockstar could released first RDR years ago to make millions but they didn't.

Top Bottom