• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

GSoda

Neo Member
Naive is when poeple believe something for no reason, i don't think there's reasonable option to believe RDR2 will come to pc, rockstar could released first RDR years ago to make millions but they didn't.
You could say there are millions of reasons. The RDR1 situation is from a different time were consoles ruled supreme and the PC was "dying". Ancient history, the modern market is completely different.

I'll say it again: It's naive to think RDR2 won't come to PC. Full stop.

Darius87

Crumbs or not it's money my god I've explained it enough to you it's like I'm talking to a child. I'm not one for mocking someone online but FFS you really are hard to talk to. Some games dont even make 30 million you know that.

Go ask your dad or mom or a friend. Dad if you could make an extra 30million odd on top of the already 60 million you made would you do it? See what mommy and daddy say.

The reason RDR2 is not announced is that Rockstar doesn't make PC ports at all. They respect the buyer and want to give them a quality game unlike most companies that just port it over

you seem to ignore fact that these 30mln are for GTA and you sound like it's written in stone that's what RDR2 sales would be if it will be released on PC, i keep repeating that it's not the case, GTA by far more popular then RDR.

Darius87

You could say there are millions of reasons. The RDR1 situation is from a different time were consoles ruled supreme and the PC was "dying". Ancient history, the modern market is completely different.

I'll say it again: It's naive to think RDR2 won't come to PC. Full stop.
Keep believing that have a nice time waiting another 8 years.

GSoda

Neo Member
Keep believing that have a nice time waiting another 8 years.
You know the facts. If you want to keep being ignorant that's fine with me. I simply hope for your sake that you don't have a capable PC and PS4 is the only option for you.

RedVIper

Banned
I've never said that's only reason because of pirates, the bigger amount of sales means more pirated version of the game, that's logic, and that's not miniscule, 1 year doesn't make that big of difference of total sales even so doesn't make up for 80mln deficit and 15% of gta sales doesn't mean it would be 15% with RDR2 actually worse given that would be first game on pc and second on consoles.

"bigger amount of sales means more pirated version of the game", nope, some games get way more pirated than others, some game companies have their games pirated a lot more than others because of their reputation, online focused games probably don't get pirated much either, it is minuscule, how many people do you really think pirated GTA V compared to the ones who bought it?

1 year makes a huge difference lol, people who really wanted to play the game had already played it on consoles, the early hype and novelty obviously affects sales. Sony and Microsoft pay to have games realease a few weeks earlier on their consoles and you think a year doesn't make a difference.

I even agree that the game might not come out for pc but you're giving the wrong arguments as to why.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think Rockstar is doing this to counteract piracy. After awhile and once all the profits have shifted to the online mode, I expect to see it pop up on PC.

Darius87

Lmao, wanna bet?
No, but not for reason you think.
You know the facts. If you want to keep being ignorant that's fine with me. I simply hope for your sake that you don't have a capable PC and PS4 is the only option for you.
well by end of october i'll be playing RDR2 1080p on PS4 and you will be playing on 0p with PC that's what capable gives you.

"bigger amount of sales means more pirated version of the game", nope, some games get way more pirated than others, some game companies have their games pirated a lot more than others because of their reputation, online focused games probably don't get pirated much either, it is minuscule, how many people do you really think pirated GTA V compared to the ones who bought it?
bigger sales means more popular game, more popular game, more people knows it, more it knows = more pirates, the thing about piracy it's not possible to estimate exact number i'm just assuming by avarage of total numbers of GTA5 should be a lot more then standart game.

1 year makes a huge difference lol, people who really wanted to play the game had already played it on consoles, the early hype and novelty obviously affects sales. Sony and Microsoft pay to have games realease a few weeks earlier on their consoles and you think a year doesn't make a difference./QUOTE]

I even agree that the game might not come out for pc but you're giving the wrong arguments as to why.
stop twisting my words!
1 year doesn't make that big of difference of total sales
of course there's not big difference given total sales of lifetime.

Vawn

Banned
Your estimate are without a doubt completely fucking stupid. RDR2 will out sell GTAV on the ps4 and Xbox one. It will also out sell the PC version that I can assure you.

Note to self: Don't call someone "fucking stupid" and in the very next sentence say something fucking stupid.

Fuz

Banned
Piracy never did any real difference - and never will, despite what some publishers like to think.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

GTA V was never a console exclusive though. Did Rockstar ever call it that? Also it sold waaaaaay more on consoles but that is besides the point.
I don't think they have called this game a console exclusive either. They have just said that it is coming to PS4 and Xbox One. I'm sure they said the same about GTA V before it was released when asked about PC version.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
of course there's not big difference given total sales of lifetime.

Do you think if TLOU came out on xbox now( Or 1 year later) it would sell nearly aswell? Thinking that having the release date delayed for over 1 year didn't affect sales is idiotic, the reason they did it was because they knew they'd make more money by getting their fans to double dip.

Stuart360

Yeah and people cited RDR as a reason for GTAV not coming to PC, then it came to PC and sold millions.

Now people are doing it again and will pretend to be shocked when RDR2 comes to PC and sells millions.
They will release the PC version along with the inevitable PS5/Xbox 4 version i bet. A similar upgraded version that GTAV got on current gen and PC.
Its simply ridiculous to expect anything else after god knows how many millions of copies GTAV has, and continues to, sell on PC.

Last edited:

Iaterain

The question isn't whether Red Dead Redemption 2 will or will not be ported to PC,
The question is when will RDR and RDR2 be ported to PC.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
GTA V has been a huge success on PC, more so than any of their previous pc releases, so they'll definitely follow in similar fashion with RDR2.

Not only that, my money is on Rockstar releasing a port of the original game around the time RDR2 releases on PC. If there was ever a time to take advantage of double dips, that'd be it.

avalonzero

Wow, I didn't realize so many people actually think it's not coming to PC. It 100% is. RDR1 was a mess towards the end of development and just getting it released on consoles as it was didn't come easy for them. They were also hard at work on GTAV and as soon as RDR production wrapped they began shifting all of the company's resources to GTA. I think with RDR1 being as difficult to work on as it was, combined with how big of a project GTAV became, they simply didn't feel like they could justify the resources at the time.

Now they've seen what a monster GTAV is on PC, with a very sustainable ongoing income system on all of the platforms with their micro-transactions, they aren't going to pass it up with RDR2 especially since they've had time to engineer it this way from the start with PC in mind. They learned a lot about what works with GTAV and you can bet with certainty this game will follow that exact same formula to a T. It would be silly not to, so expect the PC release in about a year.

TimFL

... Here's the truth: Red Dead Redemption 2 was built for 2013 consoles as a baseline. That's a fact. No amount of throwing PC hardware at the game will fundamentally change it. I've been there & done that myself & I've quite frankly been left underwhelmed more often than not.

If the PS4 version at 1080p has a stable framerate, then that version will pretty much be what the game was designed to be.
The PC version of GTA V shits on the PS4 one from a great height in terms of performance and graphics. There is no reason to believe it won’t scale incredibly well this time around with 360/PS3 support dropped and an exclusive focus on the current generation of consoles.

I‘ll happily double dip. Got the Ultimate edition preordered on PS4 and will buy the biggest bang version on PC. I might even get it on X1 to play with the 2 lonely soul acquaintances I have on there down the line.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It will eventually but not until it's well and truly taken over the console generation. Then they can announce the PC version with extra bells and whistles and get people to double dip. R* are not stupid.

drotahorror

Wow, I didn't realize so many people actually think it's not coming to PC.

I didn't realize so many people don't even want it coming to PC. What a bunch of babies. Like they have some sort of vendetta. They also seem to think they're special, as if people with PC's don't have a console or can't get a console to play the game if they wanted to.

Darius87

I don't get most of the people in here, what GTA5 has to do with RDR2? you keep repeating how GTA5 was good on PC, but keep ignoring actuall sales of RDR, which shows true potential of RDR2 sales.

Kadayi

Banned
GTA V has been a huge success on PC, more so than any of their previous pc releases, so they'll definitely follow in similar fashion with RDR2.

Not only that, my money is on Rockstar releasing a port of the original game around the time RDR2 releases on PC. If there was ever a time to take advantage of double dips, that'd be it.

It would make sense. An enhanced edition RDR would undoubtedly sell like hotcakes on and PC with both first-time players and double/triple dipping multi-platform users and then provide a solid base for RDR2 sales. I guess a lot depends on just how bad the jank is on the original code and how adaptable it is to a variety of resolutions. I wouldn't have thought it was impossible though and certainly not to the extent that it wouldn't be profitable.

Last edited:

Goff2k

The question isn't whether Red Dead Redemption 2 will or will not be ported to PC,
The question is when will RDR and RDR2 be ported to PC.

PC gamer did an article back in July

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-release-date/

- GTA 4 took about seven months to make the jump to PC.
- LA Noire took about six months to arrive on PC.
- Max Payne 3 launched just two weeks after console versions in 2012, but then it's fair to say this was historically considered a PC series.
- GTA 5 arrived 17 months after the PS3/Xbox 360 versions, and five months after the more comparable Xbox One and PS4 versions. It was originally meant to launch about three months earlier, however, in January 2015, and was originally announced alongside the 2014 console versions at E3 2014.

If we were to make an informed guess on when Red Dead Redemption 2 does come to PC, then, history tells us it'll probably be a wait of about five-to-seven months.

Estimated guess from them 5 to 7 months. I plan on double dipping....PS4 then PC

Hudo

With the announcement of Red Dead Online, it's a given that this will come to PC eventually. GTA Online is too successful on PC to leave the money on the table. And I say this as someone who ignores any online component made by Rockstar (just isn't interesting to me, sorry guys). It's a question of "when" rather than "if". And if it doesn't, oh well. There are other games to play.

Fuz

Banned
I didn't realize so many people don't even want it coming to PC. What a bunch of babies. Like they have some sort of vendetta. They also seem to think they're special, as if people with PC's don't have a console or can't get a console to play the game if they wanted to.
It's always funny to see pathetic fanboys cry.

Paracelsus

Consoles have very few games justifying the purchase, even less worthwhile exclusives. This isn't like the days of PS2 when even the GC had more killer applications than both PS4 and XB1. Therefore, you want to feel your 200-300-400$ validated by the "premium" of console exclusivity. If KH3 was announced for PC there would be casualties.

Last edited:

drotahorror

That's still only 10%

Add another few million for Rockstar Social Club. I'm one of them and the deepest discounts have been for their platform on PC.

Don't forget that atleast 30 million copies were sold on PS3/360. I have no doubt 35+ have sold on those platforms..

So that would mean PC sold around what the PS3 OR 360 took in.. Possibly Xbox One as well. I'm sure PS4 has the biggest share, but after last gen consoles that leaves less than 70 (ish) million between PC/PS4/XB1. So 55 (ish) million between the PS4/XB1 if we just say the last gen consoles took in the lowest amount that we know, 30 million.

Let's just say 30% PS4, 25% XB1, and 15% PC and 30% split between 360/PS3. This is provided 100 million copies have been sold as the last tally I can find is 90 million.

I don't think Rockstar would say No to selling that amount to one platform. That's solid.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Consoles have very few games justifying the purchase, even less worthwhile exclusives. This isn't like the days of PS2 when even the GC had more killer applications than both PS4 and XB1. Therefore, you want to feel your 200-300-400$ validated by the "premium" of console exclusivity. If KH3 was announced for PC there would be casualties.

Wondering which AAA exclusives PC gamers look to when trying to justify just having spent over $1k for a single graphics card? Or does the need to justify expensive hardware purchases by pointing to exclusive software only apply to consoles? Just curious.

I will get it on a console and PC when that is released. If RDR2 is anything like the advances Rockstar had with GTAV on PC it will be worth double dipping.

My buddies want me to get it on PS4 but I am sure the PS4 is going to be the weaker of the two consoles. Waiting to see how it performs before buying one or the other.

I can't believe some of the people in here acting like borderline trolls about the PC version. Funny to see such crazy console loyalty.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

I will get it on a console and PC when that is released. If RDR2 is anything like the advances Rockstar had with GTAV on PC it will be worth double dipping.

My buddies want me to get it on PS4 but I am sure the PS4 is going to be the weaker of the two consoles. Waiting to see how it performs before buying one or the other.

I can't believe some of the people in here acting like borderline trolls about the PC version. Funny to see such crazy console loyalty.

What PC version?

Top Bottom