• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar: Red Dead Redemption 2 not coming to PC

Vawn

Banned
Are we pretending "only" 10 million+ units sold is insignificant?

No. But it's all relative. You also have to remember that if not for the PC version, some of those 10 million would have just purchased the game on another platform. In reality, we are talking about a difference closer to 5%.

I'm not saying the game won't come to PC. It very well may someday. But it won't make or break Rockstar - especially considering RDR is not even going to sell a quarter of what GTA 5 or GTA 6 has/will. It being on PC or not went change that.

No. But it's all relative. You also have to remember that if not for the PC version, some of those 10 million would have just purchased the game on another platform. In reality, we are talking about a difference closer to 5%.

I'm not saying the game won't come to PC. It very well may someday. But it won't make or break Rockstar - especially considering RDR is not even going to sell a quarter of what GTA 5 or GTA 6 has/will. It being on PC or not went change that.

To be honest, I believe most of the PC purchases probably were double dipping or maybe triple. Considering the game launched on 360/ps3 then the current consoles then to PC. Basically by the time it hit pc the chances of someone owning it already was pretty high if they were already interested in it.

Larxia

To be honest, I believe most of the PC purchases probably were double dipping or maybe triple. Considering the game launched on 360/ps3 then the current consoles then to PC. Basically by the time it hit pc the chances of someone owning it already was pretty high if they were already interested in it.
I really don't think so, double dipping si far less common for the average consumer than some people seem to think here. It may be "common" here because it's a dedicated enthusiast forum, but it's not like that for a lot of people in reality.
I also know plenty of people who bought the game only when it came to pc, because they are not interested in playing on consoles.

RedVIper

Banned

For starters the sales for pc are definitely over 10%, its over 10m just from steam.
Second of course it sold less on PC when you release the game 20months after the initial release.
Third most people who owned consoles and wanted to play the game probably already had and the ones who don't own consoles wouldn't buy one just for gta V so I think this statment "some of those 10 million would have just purchased the game on another platform. In reality, we are talking about a difference closer to 5%" is very disingenuous. (You said some and then end up at 5%, you think over half the PC sales would go somewhere else?)

aevanhoe

"The very top of their genres" is still subjective, so no.

Based on reviews, user scores, sales and technical/mechanical analysis - so, objectively top of their genres. You can relativize anything, of course: Citizen Kane or Rashomon are considered to be some of the greatest movies ever made, and yet you could say it’s just subjective. Well, these games are considered to be at the very top of their genres. You still don’t have to like them (but, in all honesty, you probably didn’t even try them and just dislike them because they are Sony exclusives).

Vawn

Banned
If PC was that important for the game, it would be there at launch. It's not. And no announcement of a port anytime soon.

I don't think Rockstar is as concerned with PC as many of you seem to think or wish.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You would think so, except it still charts on NPD. I think there are more copies of the game sold then there are humans on the planet.

If PC was that important for the game, it would be there at launch. It's not. And no announcement of a port anytime soon.

I don't think Rockstar is as concerned with PC as many of you seem to think or wish.

This is the norm and it’s smart on their part. They don’t announce a PC port so people run out and buy a console version. They play red dead online for a while, buy some micro transactions there. Then later down the road announce the pc port with all the bells and whistles. And to be frank not announcing a PC port for launch doesn’t mean it’s not important. I’m sure from a business perspective they are focused on the consoles and don’t really have an interest in spreading themselves thin and detracting from the quality of the game on any platform.

Being primarily a PC player this strategy will work on me. I’ll buy red dead 2 on a console. Play the single player game and then wait for the PC version later on down the road.

Outside of Red Dead Redemption, a good majority of Rockstars games are on PC. Not sure why people are thinking this won’t land on PC.

From all the years of talk about red dead 1 it was a miracle the game even was finished and working on consoles. It makes sense why they didn’t want to port that. And was also a different architectural platform from PS3 and 360 that wasn’t easy to port from.

Also they (The Publisher) said this about a year ago

“The great news is that the PC market is vibrant for us. It’s a great market for us. It’s a big market. It’s a core market in consumers that are highly engaged. It’s a predominantly digital market, which also removes friction in terms of ongoing engagement with a consumer. So, for us, the PC market as a company is very important and very exciting and something we focus on.”

With all sorts of companies embracing PC lately it wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t see something of a hint shortly after launch.

One of the recent games that pulled this sort of console then pc release was injustice 2. Didn’t hear anything about PC until well after console release.

Last edited:

avalonzero

I didn't realize so many people don't even want it coming to PC. What a bunch of babies. Like they have some sort of vendetta. They also seem to think they're special, as if people with PC's don't have a console or can't get a console to play the game if they wanted to.
People just have that burning need to justify their console purchase combined with, let's face it, a bit of jealousy towards high end PC users because it's objectively going to be the definitive version and PC hardware prices are getting a bit out of control these days. It's starting to become a lot more difficult for people to afford a system that can push games like you would want to be able to.

adeptusminor

Neo Member
Seems like a lot of people are forgetting that back in June a developer of Rockstar accidentally had listed under their experience on their LinkedIn profile RDR2 PS4/Xbox/PC, then removed it once it started getting attention.

reSysi1.jpg

Elcid

Banned
I plan on buying on ps4, but one less option isnt automatically better. And considering what i can only imagine be easy porting to pc considering the architecture, its odd that they'd opt out a pc port.

Did gta5 on pc not sell so well or something? I mean, im certain the ps3/ps4 systems sold a lion's share but still.
People forget PCs are not just easy ports. PCs introduce 100 new variables. CPU and GPU issues depending on the make and model. Driver issues galore. Resolution support. Multimonitor support. OS issues. Etc. And God forbid every configuration under the sun isn't 100% supported then the devs are lazy and garbage.

Last edited:

JimboJones

People forget PCs are not just easy ports. PCs introduce 100 new variables. CPU and GPU issues depending on the make and model. Driver issues galore. Resolution support. Multimonitor support. OS issues. Etc. And God forbid every configuration under the sun isn't 100% supported then the devs are lazy and garbage.

Rockstar is a big developer, there not new to pc development, they can handle porting it over.

This is about timing and maximising sales on a huge investment.

-MD-

no buy
no care
less piracy

People are still on about piracy? The amount of people that would buy the game over some tiny minority of people that would pirate honestly makes it hilarious someone would even mention it.

Just be honest with yourself, it would bother you that PC players would have the definitive version of the game and you just don't want it to happen.

Doesn't really matter what y'all want anyways, GTAV's sales on PC guarantees it's coming, it's a matter of when, not if. Also pirating exists on consoles but you never hear anyone talk about that, wonder why lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People are still on about piracy? The amount of people that would buy the game over some tiny minority of people that would pirate honestly makes it hilarious someone would even mention it.

Just be honest with yourself, it would bother you that PC players would have the definitive version of the game and you just don't want it to happen.

Doesn't really matter what y'all want anyways, GTAV's sales on PC guarantees it's coming, it's a matter of when, not if. Also pirating exists on consoles but you never hear anyone talk about that, wonder why lol.
Piracy on consoles is a lot harder.

Lol

Dont pretend rockstar delayed gta5 on pc to make it "better"

A matter of when, not if is the big problem for me.

It's a question of do I really want to wait? I'm very excited to play the game.

If it was 6 months I could do that easily, but another year or year+ is another matter, if I had a crystal ball and could know for sure when RDR2 would come to PC and it was a year or more, I wouldn't want to wait that much longer anyway.

Not to mention spoilers, the number 1 thing everyone talked about with the first game was it's shocking ending and I got spoiled on it because of that, don't want that to happen again another time.

ExpandKong

Banned
Hahah yeah okay rockstar whatever you say guys guess I’ll just d1p this on consoles like i did GTAV on my 360 then hahahah hyuk

Riiiiight.
Just like they don't pay huge amounts of money just to keep 3rd party titles from appearing on other consoles.
Oh, wait. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. It is absolutely no stretch to assume the same being true for the PC platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

As a PC gamer, I'm kinda happy some games do not come to PC. There are way too many games, and way too little time, already.
And if they don't want my money, well, they won't get it ;)

I do have a PS4, but that is used for BluRay and Netflix and that's mostly it.

Cool, so you like wasting money? Got it

AlexxKidd

Listen at yourself, do you really think people who are going to be playing this game next week will spend two seconds caring whether PC players believe they will have some 'definitive edition' in two years? Hopefully they do get one by the way, as an apology for the wait, but whenever that happens Im sure those of us who played it now will be on to the next thing.

They'll do the same as they did with GTAV, a remastered version for next gen consoles and PC. It's shitty they don't bother with PC ports from the get go, though. There's really no excusing it if they really think PC market matters. I think it's purely a piracy protection measure, they want people to buy a console version rather than pirate a PC version. It still makes sense to do it eventually, but not before every pirate that might cave in has caved in and bought it.

-MD-

Listen at yourself, do you really think people who are going to be playing this game next week will spend two seconds caring whether PC players believe they will have some 'definitive edition' in two years? Hopefully they do get one by the way, as an apology for the wait, but whenever that happens Im sure those of us who played it now will be on to the next thing.

Absolutely, have you ever visited a video game forum before? Anytime a "console only" game goes PC you can be sure someone will be upset about it.

And there's always a next thing, people will have played through the campaign within a week and be onto the next thing, what's your point?

Last edited:

SonGoku

As someone with no interest in PC atm, I want it to come to PC eventually if only for preservation reasons

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Absolutely, have you ever visited a video game forum before? Anytime a "console only" game goes PC you can be sure someone will be upset about it.

And there's always a next thing, people will have played through the campaign within a week and be onto the next thing, what's your point?

Are they really though, or is that you telling yourself that? I think it's the latter.

Elcid

Banned
Rockstar is a big developer, there not new to pc development, they can handle porting it over.

Not my point. My point is it isn't just a drag and drop port. Look at FFXV. They spent a year+ before porting to PC and they still had issues on PC launch. Doing console first allows them to prioritize a set testbed and base support.

Yes and no. Yes nobody is going to be thinking of the PC version as they play it soon. Where you are wrong is suggesting nobody will care in the future and be on the next thing. GTA V continues to sell well, and remasters have also shown enough appetite to suck people back. Rockstar knows they can get many to double dip.

Elcid

Banned
Yes and no. Yes nobody is going to be thinking of the PC version as they play it soon. Where you are wrong is suggesting nobody will care in the future and be on the next thing. GTA V continues to sell well, and remasters have also shown enough appetite to suck people back. Rockstar knows they can get many to double dip.
Yup look how many people were suckered into the RDR remaster that came out on current gen and PC....

Horns

Willing to bet it's coming to PC. I think it will be out in a year. It would be sweet if they could find a way to release PC version of RDR1 as a bonus along with it.

Last edited:
PC sales of GTAV are between 15 and 20 million.
That is a lot.

The game is on 5 different platforms and PC is about 1/5 of all sales.
PC is as strong as all the other platforms. So if PC does not make sense, neither do the other platforms.
And even the argument of both consoles are a more similar development environment is bs, because Xbox and PC is not much more different than Playstation and Xbox.

Larxia

I find it crazy that they are advertising RDR 2 in GTA Online on PC, while it not coming to pc (for now), that's really shitty.

MMaRsu

Banned
I find it crazy that they are advertising RDR 2 in GTA Online on PC, while it not coming to pc (for now), that's really shitty.

It's not announced doesn't mean it's not coming.

My bet it's been in simultaneous development with the console versions.

Larxia

It's not announced doesn't mean it's not coming.

My bet it's been in simultaneous development with the console versions.
Oh I'm not saying it's not coming, but it's just ridiculous how rockstar will both say "It's not coming to PC" and still advertising the game on PC, the plateform they're denying, so you buy it anyway on another plateform.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oh I'm not saying it's not coming, but it's just ridiculous how rockstar will both say "It's not coming to PC" and still advertising the game on PC, the plateform they're denying, so you buy it anyway on another plateform.

Or you don't. Not like I'm going to buy a console simply to play RDR2.

If they want to maximize profits, getting it on PC would probably be a good idea. I mean, are we at the end of this console generation? Where they can release on Xbone/PS4, then re-release on the next gen consoles like they did last gen?. If they do, then there's no way it won't come to PC, PC and next-gen will get the Upgraded versions, although I do hope we get a PC version sooner rather than later. I don't understand the negativity in this thread. I know this board is mostly full of console players, but releasing on every console including PC should only be supported.

Last edited:

Venuspower

Seems like a lot of people are forgetting that back in June a developer of Rockstar accidentally had listed under their experience on their LinkedIn profile RDR2 PS4/Xbox/PC, then removed it once it started getting attention.

reSysi1.jpg

A few years ago a (former?) Rockstar employee posted some pictures of Liberty City using the engine of
GTA V. People also freaked out because they thought they are planning a map expansion for GTA V/Online.
But nothing has happened since then.

Thats why I would not give that much about something like that.

adeptusminor

Neo Member
A few years ago a (former?) Rockstar employee posted some pictures of Liberty City using the engine of
GTA V. People also freaked out because they thought they are planning a map expansion for GTA V/Online.
But nothing has happened since then.

Thats why I would not give that much about something like that.

To me, a developer posting some pictures is completely different than listing RDR2 on PC under their "experience"

Top Bottom