• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar removing the GTA Trilogy on Steam and replacing them with nothing is some anti consumer bullshit.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Rockstar recently announced that they will remove the GTA Trilogy from digital stores in order to "make way" for GTA Trilogy Remasters, but will apparently release them exclusively on their own Rockstar crap launcher. This is some anti consumer bullshit, and someone has to call them out on that. I also can't believe that some publishers are leaving Steam in 2021 in order to pursue their own launchers in 2021. Blizzard/Activision even going as far as releasing Crash Bandicoot 4 on their Bnet launcher with always only requirement, then later complaning about how poorly the game sold compared to the previous Crash game.

Edit:

And here is what we can expect in terms of price.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Removing? Or that you can't no longer buy it, but you can play it if you own that?

This.

To my understanding, they are removing it from the store, but they are free to do that, those that own it can still play the actual game.

Yet folks are out here asking for a all digital future? I don't think many really fucking understand just what they are asking for exactly lol

Publishers would not only stop having any major sales, they would basically remove games from Steam, PSN, XBL as soon as a new game is ready to ship to move consumers on to the new game. It wouldn't shock me and its why you even see shit like this from Rockstar, or Nintendo loving to fucking port, yet magically they can't port Smash Bros for some reason....odd, weird, I mean...they can fucking port a whole collection of shit but the one MP game, they can't do that, but hey folks...nothing to do with that new Smash Bros they are pumping DLC and MTX for though right?

Who is to say that if they even had that shit on their store, if they wouldn't pull the older Smash titles to get players to jump on the new versions, but I digress.

fermcr

Like it or not, it's business. Rockstar don't need Steam to sell GTA Trilogy Remastered... so why should they give Valve 30% of the sales? The game will sell well enough on their own store.
Later on, if the need arises, they release it on Steam and other PC stores...

I don't necessary like it, but can understand why Rockstar are doing it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Rockstar recently announced that they will remove the GTA Trilogy from digital stores in order to "make way" for GTA Trilogy Remasters, but will apparently release them exclusively on their own Rockstar crap launcher. This is some anti consumer bullshit, and someone has to call them out on that. I also can't believe that some publishers are leaving Steam in 2021 in order to pursue their own launchers in 2021. Blizzard/Activision even going as far as releasing Crash Bandicoot 4 on their Bnet launcher with always only requirement, then later complaning about how poorly the game sold compared to the previous Crash game.
Crash 4 failed to show strong sales because the nostalgia factor wore off and most of all because they were charging full price for 1 game after selling a trilogy of games for a lower than standard price.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
The remaster will be exclusive to Rockstars launcher for a while and then redistribute to other stores. I know why they are doing it, but in all honesty, i would crash the price of the older ones at the same time the remaster drops. Some people dont want to pay out full $$$ for games. Thats just a fact.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The remaster will be exclusive to Rockstars launcher for a while and then redistribute to other stores. I know why they are doing it, but in all honesty, i would crash the price of the older ones at the same time the remaster drops. Some people dont want to pay out full $$$ for games. Thats just a fact.

Could be, but you don’t know that. If you said the same about Activision you would be proven wrong.

ShadowNate

I really did not read it that way. Maybe I infer too much, but I believe all of Rockstar's titles, and certainly their GTA ones need the Rockstar Launcher or some such to run even if you buy them on Steam. Similar to how AC games need uplay.

So the remastered versions will come to Steam -- probably Epic too, I think.

Now owning the classics does have some worth, especially if we're in for broken mod support, removed / changed content, but afaik the last version of the classics already have had music tracks removed so you still don't get the "original experience".

Gamezone

Gold Member
30% cut is the problem. Can’t blame them.

First of all it’s only 30% to a certain point. Second of all you have to consider how big the Steam is, and the amount of exposure a game receives by being on the Steam front page. No one is browsing the Rockstar Launcher looking for games. If it’s not on Steam, chances are many won’t know the game is released some other place.

Skifi28

These games have been on steam for many years on many many sales. If you don't already own them there, you probably weren't interested to begin with. As long as owners can still play them, I don't see the issue.

Guilty_AI

Not like those versions weren't already butchered.

Theres only one way to play old GTA games the way they were meant to be played

pirates-of-the-plain-tim-curry.gif

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
£65 lmao. What do they think this is, Mario Kart 8?

They will eventually come to steam. PC is just a third world platform to them but we already know this.

RafterXL

I’m not interested, but it’s still possible to call them out on their BS.
What bullshit? They aren't removing the ganes from people who bought them, they are just stopping the sale of them on Steam. Not only is it not "anti-consumer" but complaining that you won't be able to buy them anymore when they've been there for years and you NEVER did is some next level mental gymnastics.

Mhmmm 2077

Removing? Or that you can't no longer buy it, but you can play it if you own that?
Remember that you cannot play the original versions of previous GTA games either, instead of new IDs, they replaced the original GTA 4 with complete edition, but also the same happened for San Andreas with removed music, which is a mobile port in general.

So, there is a small chance they will fuck up the old depots again somehow.

£55 for games from 2001-2004? haha. they better be remaking the entire game for that price. if it's just a performance/resolution bump then they can fuck off.

£65 lmao. What do they think this is, Mario Kart 8?

They will eventually come to steam. PC is just a third world platform to them but we already know this.
i thought PC was same time as consoles and android/ios is 2022? or was that lies?

Last edited:

Miles708

Remember that you cannot play the original versions of previous GTA games either, instead of new IDs, they replaced the original GTA 4 with complete edition, but also the same happened for San Andreas with removed music, which is a mobile port in general.

So, there is a small chance they will fuck up the old depots again somehow.
If only there was a way to store software on physical supports to prevent this kind of bullshit.

Kokoloko85

How about valve make some games, there just riding off everyone else’s work lol. Plus 30% cut is loads.

Also comapanies can remove games if they want, its not like they are stopping you playing it if you own it

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
First of all it’s only 30% to a certain point. Second of all you have to consider how big the Steam is, and the amount of exposure a game receives by being on the Steam front page. No one is browsing the Rockstar Launcher looking for games. If it’s not on Steam, chances are many won’t know the game is released some other place.
I agree that most PC games need Steam for exposure, but GTA does not. People will go to where the game is and R* know this.

Derktron

Banned
And people still praise this company? Rockstar Games is no more what they were decades ago. They just like everyone else.

Banned
Time to rip* my original** PS2/3 copies and fire up RPCS2/3!

*Torrent
**Not really my own backups

or just play the superior PC versions??? no emulation required and better controls

also, don't ever torrent anything, unless you wanna get caught of course... as it shows your IP adress openly

only use direct downloads

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rockstar is DEAD to me.
They destroyhed GTA IV steam version.
They removed the music
and added rockstar launcher REQUIREMENT

To a 10 yo purchase I've had in my library... like wtf. I launch it some time ago and I can't. You have to install their fucking store

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
And of course there is people who are defending that.
"Uh uh I'm not concerned so go fuck yourself, or you could have buy them a long time ago hihihi I'm so smart"

You don't see much further than your own little bubble right? This is just a new step into R* acting like a dick, and nobody's should be happy with that.

Classic Take2 really...and I guarantee that they'll just be dogshit barebones mobile ports with missing music all over again...
We live in a world where Apple chose to not provide chargers for their phones anymore
I mean...they're not alone in that, it's pretty standard now actually, most people have enough wallwarts and cables to last a lifetime. The real problem there is that Apple is still using lightning and USB2.0...

Banned
"Uh uh I'm not concerned so go fuck yourself, or you could have buy them a long time ago hihihi I'm so smart"

You don't see much further than your own little bubble right? This is just a new step into R* acting like a dick, and nobody's should be happy with that.

well no, we just recognise that these version on Steam were shitty shadows of these game's former selves with removed content.

so you were always better off just getting a used retail copy of the PC version off of eBay anyways

Skifi28

It is not written in stone that a digital game will forever be available for purchase in all relevant stores. If something interests you, you should probably buy it within the first decade. The only issue I see is removing it from those who bought it, which doesn't seem to be the case here. The only thing I'm defending is common sense.

Even if somebody that didn't buy it on steam until now suddenly decided they want it, they can still get it as R let us know in advance. People are just pissed for the sake of being pissed.

Concern

I played these all day one. Never cared to play them again since they probably didn't age well. Also these are remade for "modern audiences" lol.

R* is most likely dead in the water without the Housers. They will try to stretch they're money off the Housers work. GTA 6 will be mostly about its online, accompanied by a shit single player experience.

BlackTron

Can you get pretty much the same (or better) experience by tracking down the disc versions of these games? I've never played them on PC but this seems like a good time to figure it out. Do the Steam versions have any downsides like missing songs, or improvements in other areas? I mean, I might rush to grab the trilogy on Steam for the sake of posterity, but if the disc will work just as well if I ever have a desire to play these I don't think I'll bother.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It is not written in stone that a digital game will forever be available for purchase in all relevant stores. If something interests you, you should probably buy it within the first decade. The only issue I see is removing it from those who bought it, which doesn't seem to be the case here. The only thing I'm defending is common sense.

Even if somebody that didn't buy it on steam until now suddenly decided they want it, they can still get it as R let us know in advance. People are just pissed for the sake of being pissed.
Of course, I understand you viewpoint but you need to look deeper than that.

What if someone in 1 year want to try the original games for comparaison, or maybe because that person wants to play the original experience? Or just because of nostalgia? Even for studying project as those games are so important and where at the origin of so many, many things...
And what if they push this with all their games? Re-releasing a remake and deleting every other version is just a dumb move.
well no, we just recognise that these version on Steam were shitty shadows of these game's former selves with removed content.

so you were always better off just getting a used retail copy of the PC version off of eBay anyways
While I get your point, this is not the subject.

I don't look at it like "it's gonna (maybe, let's hope) be a better version so I don't care" or "the version in Steam isn't the 1.00 so it's shit".

Top Bottom