• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar removing the GTA Trilogy on Steam and replacing them with nothing is some anti consumer bullshit.

Skifi28

Of course, I understand you viewpoint but you need to look deeper than that.

What if someone in 1 year want to try the original games for comparaison, or maybe because that person wants to play the original experience? Or just because of nostalgia? Even for studying project as those games are so important and where at the origin of so many, many things...
And what if they push this with all their games? Re-releasing a remake and deleting every other version is just a dumb move.
There are thousands of old games you can't buy digitally, most of them never got a digital version to begin with and they don't even have a handy remake to get instead. I don't think it ever has been a major issue, whoever really wants to play certain old games can find a way to do so 99% of the time. It will be the same for GTA too and it'll be even easier as it's on PC though the ports were never all that great and they have even more issues on a modern OS.

Regardless, most people either already have it on steam or will want to play the new and likely improved version anyway. I also can understand where you're coming from, but I've never being a fan of being pissed for the sake of a hypothetical person that might or might not exist at some point.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
There are thousands of old games you can't buy digitally, most of them never got a digital version to begin with and they don't even have a handy remake to get instead. I don't think it ever has been a major issue, whoever really wants to play certain old games can find a way to do so 99% of the time. It will be the same for GTA too and it'll be even easier as it's on PC though the ports were never all that great and they have even more issues on a modern OS.

Regardless, most people either already have it on steam or will want to play the new and likely improved version anyway. I also can understand where you're coming from, but I've never being a fan of being pissed for the sake of a hypothetical person that might or might not exist at some point.
Not every old game is GTA
Deleting the old games just don't make sense except to sell the new, higher priced one. The two can co-hexist without any problem.

But I'm not even pissed, I think it goes well with what R* is becoming so I'm not surprised too. What's worry me is the precedent, now everyone can (and will) try to deleted the older version and force the adoption of the new one.
And while it can not be problematic here, we already have example of literal remake that were so bad you can call them demake. So what if from now with this precedent publishers decide to delete the older, better version and leave you with a censured, bugged, high priced version?

Urban

Rockstar recently announced that they will remove the GTA Trilogy from digital stores in order to "make way" for GTA Trilogy Remasters, but will apparently release them exclusively on their own Rockstar crap launcher. This is some anti consumer bullshit, and someone has to call them out on that. I also can't believe that some publishers are leaving Steam in 2021 in order to pursue their own launchers in 2021. Blizzard/Activision even going as far as releasing Crash Bandicoot 4 on their Bnet launcher with always only requirement, then later complaning about how poorly the game sold compared to the previous Crash game.

Edit:

And here is what we can expect in terms of price.

if someome still didnt but it until now, why should he still buy it?

If you come with the new generation and maybe younger player: Pls check how old these games are and there are new version of it coming..

I mean we have drama for everything right?

Moses85

giphy.gif

Kadve

This is sadly pretty standard. The original Space Rangers II is also not buyable any more and lets not even talk about Warcraft III and Duke Nukem 3D....

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
if someome still didnt but it until now, why should he still buy it?

If you come with the new generation and maybe younger player: Pls check how old these games are and there are new version of it coming..

I mean we have drama for everything right?

It's not necessarily about wanting them or not. It's also about preservation.

The modders on GTA-Forums should simultaneously release the project which they were working on upon this trilogy's release, which these cunts C&D'd, but now as a mod for the games available on Steam, and see the Steam concurrent players for the games explode into the top 10.

What? This is still possible? I thought this feature was removed.

If I remember correctly, the feature was revised, to be able to gift only within the region of the account on which you purchased the gift, not entirely removed.

So you can no longer download it if you purchased them?

Nah, you can. These fucks will do that too if they had the chance, hence all console and pc storefronts have a thumb rule that EVERY iteration of a software of yours that you upload to the storefront/platform's servers, will be available for eternity and will not EVER be taken down, even if you delist that said software. This is a universal rule.

This is the reason you have demos available to download from your download list, even after the store delisting it, though there are some exceptions, like P.T.

are you sure about that? they even removed music from reprints of the PS2 version...
Yup. There are exactly two songs "missing" between the Steam releases of GTA3 and VC. GTA3 is missing O mio babbino caro by Giocomo Puccini and VC is missing Running with the Night by Lionel Richie. You might've noticed the quotation marks I used around the word "missing" though...that's because those songs never appeared on PC at all, including the retail discs, they were only ever in the PS2 release.

S0ULZB0URNE

If I remember correctly, the feature was revised, to be able to gift only within the region of the account on which you purchased the gift, not entirely removed.

Nah, you can. These fucks will do that too if they had the chance, hence all console and pc storefronts have a thumb rule that EVERY iteration of a software of yours that you upload to the storefront/platform's servers, will be available for eternity and will not EVER be taken down, even if you delist that said software. This is a universal rule.

This is the reason you have demos available to download from your download list, even after the store delisting it, though there are some exceptions, like P.T.
I was asking because certain games like the High Moon Studios Transformer games I can't download anymore.
Edit. On Steam

Last edited:
RockStar is as bad as Ea has been for awhile now not surprised you used to be able to boot up gta4 and gta5 straight from steam but now you have to have the launcher in the background. The worst launcher ever is epic by a mile blizzard's is a bit better than origin but worst that Uplay and rockstar's is as bad as Bethesda's.

Starhowl

I still have the original GTA Vice soundtrack on my HDD.. Wonder if that's gonna be back in the original, or the crippled one. Any infos?

That feel when you know you can listen to the original GTA OST..

This is why I don't like Steam fanboys, always whine when something isn't there. Now you know how others feel like gog when they cant get it drm free and only steam is the choice.

kingwingin

You’ve had years and years to buy these games if you wanted. Vote with your wallet on new upcoming rockstar games if it means so much to you. I swear people these days just love to complain…
What about people who haven't gotten into the hobby yet, or people who don't currently exist.

Jack Uzi

Banned
This.

To my understanding, they are removing it from the store, but they are free to do that, those that own it can still play the actual game.

Yet folks are out here asking for a all digital future? I don't think many really fucking understand just what they are asking for exactly lol

Publishers would not only stop having any major sales, they would basically remove games from Steam, PSN, XBL as soon as a new game is ready to ship to move consumers on to the new game. It wouldn't shock me and its why you even see shit like this from Rockstar, or Nintendo loving to fucking port, yet magically they can't port Smash Bros for some reason....odd, weird, I mean...they can fucking port a whole collection of shit but the one MP game, they can't do that, but hey folks...nothing to do with that new Smash Bros they are pumping DLC and MTX for though right?

Who is to say that if they even had that shit on their store, if they wouldn't pull the older Smash titles to get players to jump on the new versions, but I digress.
Yeah I’ve went all digital, I understand the risks of it but fuck no I do not want it to be the only way to buy games or movies for that matter. I’m all about Physical media for movies on the other hand.

Banned
Yup. There are exactly two songs "missing" between the Steam releases of GTA3 and VC. GTA3 is missing O mio babbino caro by Giocomo Puccini and VC is missing Running with the Night by Lionel Richie. You might've noticed the quotation marks I used around the word "missing" though...that's because those songs never appeared on PC at all, including the retail discs, they were only ever in the PS2 release.

I know the HD version of VC (that mobile port) misses WAY more than that, first and foremost Billy Jean. and these are also not in later PS2 disc versions or in the PSN PS2 emulation on PS4

edit: GTA: Vice City Back On Steam, Nearly 10 Songs Removed | Cinemablend
Rockstar Nexus laid out a more complete list of songs removed from the re-released version of GTA: Vice City, which is now more RIAA friendly. The songs removed from the game are as follows:

· Michael Jackson -"Billie Jean"

· Michael Jackson -"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin"

· Ozzy Osbourne -"Bark At The Moon"

· Kate Bush -"Wow"

· Herbie Hancock - "Rock It"

· Afrika Bambaataa -"Looking For The Perfect Beat"

· Lionel Richie - "Running with the night"

· A couple of songs from Radio Espantoso

so did they add these again? because they were removed at one point

edit2: and here the missing San Andreas songs that are gone from every currently digitally available version of the game:
Playback FM
Ultramagnetic MC’s - Critical Beatdown

Radio Los Santos
2 Pac - I Don’t Give A f*ck
Compton’s Most Wanted - Hood Took Me Under
NWA - Express Yourself

Bounce FM
Fatback - Yum Yum
Roy Ayers - Running Away
The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me

KDST
Tom Petty - Running Down A Dream
Joe Cocker - Woman to Woman

K-JAH West Radio
Black Harmony - Don’t Let It Go to Your Head
Blood Sisters - Ring My Bell

Radio:X
Ozzy Osbourne - Hellraiser
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

Master Sounds 98.3
Charles Wright - Express Yourself
The Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park
James Brown - Funky President
Macer & The Macks - Soul Power ‘74
James Brown - The Payback
The JB’s - Grunt

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
These companies are not your friend. MS, Sony, take 2, Nintendo, they all exist to turn a profit. Sometimes that means doing things to win you over that are good you. Other times that means screwing you over for every peens when they already have you by the balls

Guilty_AI

Do the Steam versions have any downsides like missing songs, or improvements in other areas? I mean, I might rush to grab the trilogy on Steam for the sake of posterity, but if the disc will work just as well if I ever have a desire to play these I don't think I'll bother.
The steam version is missing songs, but you can mod those back in.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Remember that you cannot play the original versions of previous GTA games either, instead of new IDs, they replaced the original GTA 4 with complete edition, but also the same happened for San Andreas with removed music, which is a mobile port in general.

So, there is a small chance they will fuck up the old depots again somehow.
Oh alright that's fucked up.

Banned
What are the chances of the original radio stations being butchered? Not that it matters mods will find a way

highly likely given that they are in every currently available version already... maybe they actually tried to get every song back into the games, but I kinda doubt it... these remasters are always disappointing nowadays

First of all it’s only 30% to a certain point. Second of all you have to consider how big the Steam is, and the amount of exposure a game receives by being on the Steam front page. No one is browsing the Rockstar Launcher looking for games. If it’s not on Steam, chances are many won’t know the game is released some other place.

Are you seriously implying that GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas need the exposure that the steam front page provides? At a 30% cut?

I'm happy that I purchased the games for my account a while ago. I was not expecting them to do this.

I definitely disagree with removing the classic versions. Even if the new remastered ones are great, some people like to play the originals.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Lol at complaining which front end you use to click the button to play the game.

Normally I'd agree, but the rockstar launcher is literally developed by chimps.

I use gog galaxy to keep track on all my games, but you can't deny its annoying to have to install this many stores at this time.

EA, Ubisoft, epic, cd projekt red and valve has their store fronts.

That's 5 stores and I probably forgot about more. That's not convenient.

Rockstar recently announced that they will remove the GTA Trilogy from digital stores in order to "make way" for GTA Trilogy Remasters, but will apparently release them exclusively on their own Rockstar crap launcher. This is some anti consumer bullshit, and someone has to call them out on that. I also can't believe that some publishers are leaving Steam in 2021 in order to pursue their own launchers in 2021. Blizzard/Activision even going as far as releasing Crash Bandicoot 4 on their Bnet launcher with always only requirement, then later complaning about how poorly the game sold compared to the previous Crash game.

Edit:

And here is what we can expect in terms of price.

We have another thread complaining about something that isn't worth complaining about in my opinion. You're talking about "anti-consumerism" tactics on games that have been available on electronic platforms for over a decade and most people already have a copy of. For those that don't there's a whole week's notice from Rockstar to purchase them and permanently bind them to their accounts. Releasing on their own launcher is where I agree with you, but Rockstar's Launcher has been around since GTAIV and eventually they'll release on Steam in the upcoming weeks so what's the problem?

ReBurn

Gold Member
We have another thread complaining about something that isn't worth complaining about in my opinion. You're talking about "anti-consumerism" tactics on games that have been available on electronic platforms for over a decade and most people already have a copy of. For those that don't there's a whole week's notice from Rockstar to purchase them and permanently bind them to their accounts. Releasing on their own launcher is where I agree with you, but Rockstar's Launcher has been around since GTAIV and eventually they'll release on Steam in the upcoming weeks so what's the problem?
17 years just wasn't long enough to be able to play all 3 original versions in some form. All people needed was just a few more weeks.

There is no problem. Which is par for the course really, 95% of things "gamers" whine about are complete and utter non issues. Literal mountains out of molehills. Grown ass men that spend so much time whining about the most inconsequential things, or stirring up false drama instead of just enjoying the hobby.

Keep moping around losers, I'm gonna be playing these gta remasters while I await next spring so I can purchase GTAV for the third time. And enjoying myself the whole time.

giphy.webp

No one is browsing the Rockstar Launcher looking for games.
And that's literally why they're forcing you to only be able to purchase the remastered trilogy on their store.

GTA brand is too huge and the announcement of a remastered version will undoubtedly bring more eyes onto the store (for better or worse).

I'm not for this at all, but this makes sense from a business perspective.

You say that it'll be exclusive on your store, and that every old version out there will be eradicated from all other stores.

You get more eyes on your store, and you may trigger a huge sale increase on the original versions on steam as people worry about never having access to the originals.

Win/win for capitalism.

Lose/lose for average Joe consumers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
30% cut is the problem. Can’t blame them.
30% cut for a digitally transmitted file is awfully profitable. Yes Steam and online marketplaces have to host the servers, the website and customer service to handle all the issues, but I hope you guys know that in the traditional grocery store and supplier model, products can have similar profit margins for stores.

The key difference is they have to also pay for the store, tons of people, inventory (lots of get thrown out) and head office has to make enough from all that to pay for head office, distribution centres, fleet trucks etc....

So for all you people who hate Walmart, Amazon etc.... hey, at least they got a ton of physical goods, trucking and labour costs to cover. So they need to make money to cover it.

Digital storefronts making bank on 30% cuts to send you a file over the internet..... and you wonder why all these game companies are scoring record profits. And most of you accept it.

AlexxKidd

Normally I'd agree, but the rockstar launcher is literally developed by chimps.

I use gog galaxy to keep track on all my games, but you can't deny its annoying to have to install this many stores at this time.

EA, Ubisoft, epic, cd projekt red and valve has their store fronts.

That's 5 stores and I probably forgot about more. That's not convenient.

Even if they did put it on Steam, it would load through the Rockstar Launcher anyway.

20cent

Banned
I want to buy a brand new 3DS from Nintendo but they don't sell them anymore they want you to buy their newest thing instead. Is it anti consumer bs as well?

At least you can still play these games if you already have them on Steam.

Top Bottom