• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar removing the GTA Trilogy on Steam and replacing them with nothing is some anti consumer bullshit.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want to buy a brand new 3DS from Nintendo but they don't sell them anymore they want you to buy their newest thing instead. Is it anti consumer bs as well?

At least you can still play these games if you already have them on Steam.
It's not the same thing. The steam versions of these games don't have to be manufactured in order for people to get them. They just get a copy. To get a new 3DS Nintendo would have to manufacture it. But I get what you're saying.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The only thing the housers love more than themselves is money. So don’t be surprised when their company makes a monetary based decision.

Droxcy

old.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just another example of people misusing the term "anti consumer".

How many years have you already had to buy these games if you wanted them? When the remasters come out they'll likely be far, far better than the originals, and they'll continue to sell them for decades too. They are under no obligation to sell anything on Steam.

Vaelka

Why is it that the big companies that make the most money are so obsessed with remasters and remakes lol?
I keep hearing that '' they need to make more money to make better games '', but all that tends to happen is that they just get lazy and make remasters and remakes instead.

Bethesda is another great example of this too.
They have so much money and could do basically anything but they don't do anything.

Edit: Until now... A billion years later.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why is it that the big companies that make the most money are so obsessed with remasters and remakes lol?
I keep hearing that '' they need to make more money to make better games '', but all that tends to happen is that they just get lazy and make remasters and remakes instead.

They have so much money and could do basically anything but they don't do anything.

Easy money and profits.

The whole thing about needing quick money to foster making bigger risky games is complete bullshit now.

The big game publishers are at record profits, yet most churn out the same sequels every year or two. And if it's something kind of new, it'll be an offshoot of something they already make (UBI and their millionth open world re-skin).

Now if the big game makers were all barely scraping by that would be different. Believe it or not it's only the past generation (Xbox One/PS4 to now) to where the giant profits have come in due to growth in mtx. Before that, EA and TTWO didn't make a lot of money. TTWO lost money half the time. Their big years would be when GTA launched, but soon after they lost money per year. Activision has been a consistent money maker though probably due to COD and WoW subs.

Sophist

30% cut for a digitally transmitted file is awfully profitable. Yes Steam and online marketplaces have to host the servers, the website and customer service to handle all the issues, but I hope you guys know that in the traditional grocery store and supplier model, products can have similar profit margins for stores.

The key difference is they have to also pay for the store, tons of people, inventory (lots of get thrown out) and head office has to make enough from all that to pay for head office, distribution centres, fleet trucks etc....

So for all you people who hate Walmart, Amazon etc.... hey, at least they got a ton of physical goods, trucking and labour costs to cover. So they need to make money to cover it.

Digital storefronts making bank on 30% cuts to send you a file over the internet..... and you wonder why all these game companies are scoring record profits. And most of you accept it.

Your are diminishing greatly what Steam provides to both the users and the developers; It isn't just a marketplace that "sends you a file over the internet" but also offers whole social network and a middleware development platform.

a few services provided by Steam:
The video content, persistent inventory, cloud, leaderboards, ... are all hosted by valve on mirror servers all around the world. On the most active hours of the day, the data traffic is peaking over 12 Tbps.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Don't blame the big companies, blame the people that keep asking for remakes and remasters and then buying them. This forum is one of the biggest proponents for them! So many people on here would just rather keep playing the same games over and over and over again, buying remakes and remasters over and over, into eternity, than devs make new games.

Make no mistake - if they didn't sell, they wouldn't make them.

Traxtech

Could have bought it for years.

This is the equivalent of complaining when they discontinue a TV model for the next better more expensive model, you had ample time to fricken buy it IF you wanted it, which you obviously don't as you'd already own it if you did.

Zzzzz

Gamezone

Gold Member
Didn't require a rockstar launcher anyway? so honestly why even bother buying it on steam to start with.

Because you get all the Steam features, and also don't have to enter your credit card and add a new friends list into another launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people who think this is stupid to complain about are console gamers. Others have complained about the same thing in PC channels on Reddit, and haven't received this much shit over it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
30% cut for a digitally transmitted file is awfully profitable. Yes Steam and online marketplaces have to host the servers, the website and customer service to handle all the issues, but I hope you guys know that in the traditional grocery store and supplier model, products can have similar profit margins for stores.

The key difference is they have to also pay for the store, tons of people, inventory (lots of get thrown out) and head office has to make enough from all that to pay for head office, distribution centres, fleet trucks etc....

So for all you people who hate Walmart, Amazon etc.... hey, at least they got a ton of physical goods, trucking and labour costs to cover. So they need to make money to cover it.

Digital storefronts making bank on 30% cuts to send you a file over the internet..... and you wonder why all these game companies are scoring record profits. And most of you accept it.

You obviously haven't used Steam a lot. Valve is spending an enormous amount of money each year to improve Steam.

so did they add these again? because they were removed at one point
Nope, they never removed them at all, they just said that they would. Vice City disappeared from Steam for a little while but when it came back it was still complete. I bought it a couple of years after the licenses expired and it was pulled from the store and my copy still has all the music. Anyway...you know that list is fucky because it contains Running with the Night, which, as I said, was never in the PC version in the first place. People have been arguing over this for years, likely because some people never bothered to check and just rely on that list, but the reality is that it was never touched and to this very day the first song you'll hear in the Steam release is Billy Jean.

Kagey K

Banned
You lose nothing, you gain nothing…

Seems like a draw to me.

PC players have a way to buy the updated versions, Steam players still get to keep what they own.

Only launcher fanboys would be upset.

For a bunch of ppl running around yelling Master Race, and open platform, some of you really love your walled gardens.

Last edited:

Seems like a draw to me.

PC players have a way to buy the updated versions, Steam players still get to keep what they own.

For a bunch of ppl running around yelling Master Race, and open platform, some of you really love your walled gardens.
1) If you really think Steam is a walled garden then you have absolutely no idea what a walled garden is.
2) There's more to it than just it being removed from Steam. Take2/Rockstar are going out of their way to scrub the game as it originally existed from all digital distribution platforms. That means that the only way to play the original version after they remove it is to either own it before or to acquire a retail copy...which will be harder because demand will be higher because you won't be able to buy the original versions on Steam (or RGSC) anymore.

Kagey K

Banned
1) If you really think Steam is a walled garden then you have absolutely no idea what a walled garden is.
2) There's more to it than just it being removed from Steam. Take2/Rockstar are going out of their way to scrub the game as it originally existed from all digital distribution platforms. That means that the only way to play the original version after they remove it is to either own it before or to acquire a retail copy...which will be harder because demand will be higher because you won't be able to buy the original versions on Steam (or RGSC) anymore.
Sounds exactly like a walled garden to me.

Buy it from my store, before it’s gone, or never buy it, even though it available other places.

Xbox and PS are “walled gardens” yet I can still buy the original discs for them.

This seems like a not on steam thing, not a I can’t get it on PC thing.

Totally not a walled garden.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Even if they did put it on Steam, it would load through the Rockstar Launcher anyway.

Yeah I am aware that the game will run the Rockstar Launcher, but at least you have it under your primary library

Gamezone

Gold Member

Seems like a draw to me.

Of course you lose something, but gain nothing.

Shubh_C63

but will apparently release them exclusively on their own Rockstar crap launcher
How is this anti consumer. I created a software and I am selling it on my store now.
I also can't believe that some publishers are leaving Steam in 2021 in order to pursue their own launchers in 2021.
Why can't you and anyone believe this.

Never really got this storefront points since Epic. Companies are free to protect their own interests. We as consumers should tell them we don't like this and probably not buy anything from their store. It is us bullying them (which is A-OK nad actually preffered), not a company being anti consumer.

Kagey K

Banned
Of course you lose something, but gain nothing.
What did you lose?

If you weren’t interested in owning it by now; You we’re never going to buy it.

It’s not like these games just came and went on the market…….

Suddenly 16, 18, 20 years on the storefront means nothing. We all know everybody hates old games.

Until they are gone…….

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Older versions are more complete, anyway. And if you think they won't look as good: mods, baby!
Good luck modding a +20 year old RenderWare engine, lol. I'm pretty sure (read: 100% confident) we will see way better mods for the Definitive Edition- it's running on Unreal Engine 4 for christ sakes! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

YCoCg

Good luck modding a +20 year old RenderWare engine, lol. I'm pretty sure (read: 100% confident) we will see way better mods for the Definitive Edition- it's running on Unreal Engine 4 for christ sakes! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Mods will be banned on the new versions. Take-Two require the games to be on RGL so they can lock down the game files and prevent people from modding them, if RGL detects the games been modded it will close the game and initiate a download of the correct files.

As for modding the original, there's re3 and reVC, but Take-Two sued the people that did that.

Sounds exactly like a walled garden to me.

Buy it from my store, before it’s gone, or never buy it, even though it available other places.

Xbox and PS are “walled gardens” yet I can still buy the original discs for them.

This seems like a not on steam thing, not a I can’t get it on PC thing.

Totally not a walled garden.
So tell me, where exactly are you going to buy the original versions? Rockstar are removing them from ALL digital storefronts, but so that they can sell their dogshit remaster exclusively on their dogshit store...their walled garden. Like I said, if you really think Steam is a walled garden you clearly have absolutely no idea what the term means.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The good thing about the original PC ports is that because they're from the era before always online DRM and the rest of it, you can just keep a backed up version forever. There are no limitations except that you have a working PC and a copy of the game. Past that you can use all of the fan patches and restorations (yes, all of the removed music that was a big part of the experience) and make the PC versions that already exist functionally near-perfect.

I'll be very surprised if Rockstar don't leave the music gutted out and/or gut more music and content from the remasters, going by Rockstar's history. The originals will be the way to go if possible. Get in now if you still can, because they are absolutely playable with very little effort.

£17 for 3 of the best, most influential games from the PS2 generation is worth it, and you'll easily get your money's worth.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Exactly.

Last time I messed with it, the mods for these games was simply using the Xbox assets, lol.

coffinbirth

Then you didn't look very hard.
And that's just one mod, one of many. Renderware has been cracked wide open for years now...Take2 just took someone to court for completely reverse engineering the entire engine to get the source code FFS...
Erm, YOU didn't look very hard.
Those are just vehicle models...from 14 years ago, that along with a lighting mod here and a character model mod there and some qol mods are used in conjunction with Xbox Mod Overhaul. It's been this way for about 10 years now, lol.

Also, not sure what bringing up the reverse engineering debacle has to do with this...it's not like it has yet to give us a better version on PC.

Last edited:
Erm, YOU didn't look very hard.
Those are just vehicle models...from 14 years ago, that along with a lighting mod here and a character model mod there and some qol mods are used in conjunction with Xbox Mod Overhaul. It's been this way for about 10 years now, lol.
Vehicle models that are in no way shape or form Xbox assets. They're incredibly high quality models that in no way constitutes "simply using the Xbox assets". There's also numerous texture mods that, again, don't use Xbox assets.
Even if we ignore that there's still...

GTA United
GTA State of Liberty
GTA SA:LC
SAxVCxLC
GTA VCS PC Edition

...just to name a few...none of which are "simply Xbox assets"...

Also, not sure what bringing up the reverse engineering debacle has to do with this...it's not like it has yet to give us a better version on PC.
It already is a better version. Among other things it actually runs on Windows 10, adds the ability to control the camera, adds numerous bug fixes, uses OpenGL / DX9, supports PS2 / Xbox rendering features out of the box, has audio that actually works properly without having to fuck with the miles sound system dll to use OpenAL, supports arbitrary resolutions and aspect ratios, completely removed engine limits...etc, etc...
It's literally better in every single way...and I can guarantee it's better and more faithful than whatever the fuck Rockstar is cooking up. Among other things that were coming was a proper decoupling of the physics and framerate, allowing the games to run flawlessly at high framerates.

If it isn't on Steam, it doesn't exist.

Don't buy things on other launchers and they will fail eventually.
Who cares what store or launcher it's on? What's with this brand loyalty bullshit for Steam? Play it on whatever one its on, otherwise its a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation if you ask me.

coffinbirth

Vehicle models that are in no way shape or form Xbox assets. They're incredibly high quality models that in no way constitutes "simply using the Xbox assets". There's also numerous texture mods that, again, don't use Xbox assets.
Even if we ignore that there's still...

GTA United
GTA State of Liberty
GTA SA:LC
SAxVCxLC
GTA VCS PC Edition

...just to name a few...none of which are "simply Xbox assets"...

It already is a better version. Among other things it actually runs on Windows 10, adds the ability to control the camera, adds numerous bug fixes, uses OpenGL / DX9, supports PS2 / Xbox rendering features out of the box, has audio that actually works properly without having to fuck with the miles sound system dll to use OpenAL, supports arbitrary resolutions and aspect ratios, completely removed engine limits...etc, etc...
It's literally better in every single way...and I can guarantee it's better and more faithful than whatever the fuck Rockstar is cooking up. Among other things that were coming was a proper decoupling of the physics and framerate, allowing the games to run flawlessly at high framerates.
Again, those mods are added to the Xbox Mod Overhaul. Without it, it would look like dogshit. You're taking that quote a little too far from the point, regardless, which is that the quality and quantity of the mods will almost certainly outstrip those done within the confines of Renderware in far less time than 20 years, lol...

"It already is a better version."
Oh, so it's been patched to fix the CONSTANT crashing?

Last edited:
Oh, so it's been patched to fix the CONSTANT crashing?
1) Crashing is still better than not running on Windows 10 at all.
2) Up until the creators got hit with a lawsuit it was getting constant patches....and yes, crashing was one of the things they went after. The latest builds of both re3 and reVC were released mere days before the lawsuit.

coffinbirth

1) Crashing is still better than not running on Windows 10 at all.
2) Up until the creators got hit with a lawsuit it was getting constant patches....and yes, crashing was one of the things they went after. The latest builds of both re3 and reVC were released mere days before the lawsuit.
1. LOL, what? These games were patched to run on Windows 10 like five years ago.
2. So...no.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Who cares what store or launcher it's on? What's with this brand loyalty bullshit for Steam? Play it on whatever one its on, otherwise its a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation if you ask me.

I would like to see the reactions if Microsoft and Sony allowed multiple stores on their consoles with separate friends list, achievements, and lackluster features separate from PSN and XBL.

1. LOL, what? These games were patched to run on Widows 10 like five years ago.
2. So...no.
1) re3 and reVC don't need mods.
2) So...yes...have you even tried the latest builds? Didn't think so. Doubt you ever tried it at all to be blunt. I found re3 to be quite stable (and not at all crashy) around the time of the first DMCA takedown.

Rockstar Games has quickly become one of the assholes of the gaming industry.

GTAV Enhanced looking not so enhanced
Going after the modding community.
Not listening to fan feedback regarding GTA online.
The delayed release of GTA6.

Fuck them. I'm voting with my wallet.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

1) re3 and reVC don't need mods.
2) So...yes...have you even tried the latest builds? Didn't think so. Doubt you ever tried it at all to be blunt. I found re3 to be quite stable (and not at all crashy) around the time of the first DMCA takedown.
1. They require the original game files, which makes them mods to the end user.
2. Vice City was the only one I tried, to be fair, and it crashed regularly. That was AFTER the takedown.

1. They require the original game files, which makes them mods to the end user.
2. Vice City was the only one I tried, to be fair, and it crashed regularly. That was AFTER the takedown.
1) Yes and no. The problem with asi mods (such as those that fix the Windows 10 issue) is that they can conflict. With everything built into the .exe...well that can't happen because no memory patching is happening. You're not wrong that re3 and reVC are...kind...of...mods...but they're really more than that. They're about as much a mod as GZDoom is...which is to say not really, they're just an alternative engine build with differing features.
2) When the first takedown happened re3 ran fine but reVC wasn't in the best place, but the developers filed a counter claim and the repos came back up in May? June?...and after that there was a good 3-4 months of solid development time between the repos being reinstated and the team getting hit with the lawsuit. re3 was already pretty solid but plenty of bugs have been fixed in both and reVC is in a MUCH better place now. At this point if you can find them unless you absolutely must use some esoteric mod that is only available for the retail versions I see no reason not to use re3 and reVC, even if they never see any development from this point they are, IMO, finished and polished enough for general use.

Kupfer

>DiGiTaL iS fUtUrE
>publisher removes it's content which you don't own
RaKfwY3.jpg

but the main thing is not having to get up to move our fat asses to the console to change the game

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah I’ve went all digital, I understand the risks of it but fuck no I do not want it to be the only way to buy games or movies for that matter. I’m all about Physical media for movies on the other hand.

I feel in order for digital only to work for fans, we need physicals to keep that shit in check. I have no issue with the concept, I have an issue with how this would hurt the market for consumers to have 1 method of purchase.

We know publishers would go balls deep to hurt consumers to maximize profit, ie remove games right before they push the new game on us, keep prices at 100% full price etc

LimanimaPT

Why people prefer pc gaming to console gaming puzzles me. 200 different stores for starters and try to have multiple users using the same PC and tell me how that played out.

Top Bottom