• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar teases GTA V expansion for next year

"Unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas..."

Kind of weird to call out the location like that, hints that they're expanding the geography of the game. There's a lot of talk throughout the game of running drugs and weapons over the border with Mexico, it's a big theme early in Trevor's storyline... one of the first missions with Trevor, you're flying a plane and talking about it, and then in other subsequent small missions, Trevor mentions his experience working with the Mexican drug cartels and drug mules.

I suppose "southern San Andreas" could just mean Los Santos, versus BLaine County, but why wouldn't they just say "Los Santos" instead?

I wouldn't think San Fierro because, well, San Francisco is well north of Los Angeles. Las Vegas / Las Venturas? Maybe?

Anyway, I'd really die for some more content in this game. After the horrible mess of GTA Online, I'm more eager to play the SP portion of the game... but I've pretty much done everything that I'd want to consider doing, minus the letter collection and sub missions,w hich I don't have much patience for.

Damn, if it's Mexico, that would be gooood

kudoboi

rstar.png

SOON. It's at least an acknowledgement.

they had been saying that for a year. its either "its not our priority/ we do not have plans" or "keep an eye out on our newswire"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I like that they're sticking with the same characters. Will we get new ways to actually earn decent amounts of cash?

MormaPope

Banned
If it isn't a huge expansion like The Lost and Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony: More heists, along with more and better property management, more weapons, more activities that involve killing or lethal challenge, less recreational stuff.

Have a jet fighter activity/side mission set involving Trevor where you have to destroy high value and dangerous targets, throw in other military vehicles or stuff for Trevor to use as well. Basically assassinations and targeted destruction with outlandish objectives and tools.

Franklin gets a drug production/gang war activity with Lamar. Buy or steal drug supplies, allocate money and resources to certain drugs or drug enterprises. Risk is involved with your investments, and the more money you make the more you'll be targeted.

Michael gets a heist activity involving Lester. More heists available, low risk and high risk heists, invest money to get materials or steal them. People you've recruited for heists in the past are all available, you can use Franklin and Trevor but their pay grade will be much higher.

If it is a bigger expansion:

Early 90's Los Santos. There are two playable characters, a corrupt FIB agent and a seasoned gang banger. Corrupt police/enforcement culture along with early 90's gang culture. Main missions will eventually involve both characters, FIB agent will be like Vic Mackey personality wise, gang banger will be like Lamar.

Main side activities for FIB agent will be investigating and solving cases, along with hunting down criminals. Investigations can play out like L.A. Noire lite, having to gather evidence and track down suspects. Hunting down criminals will play out like past vigilante missions with a twist. There could be a "Top 10 Most Wanted Los Santos" list, track down the criminals and arrest them or kill them. The gang banger main activity will revolve around turf wars and drug production/selling. Pretty self explanatory.

Cut down on most of the radio stations, four stations with varied songs for each genre would work. Atmosphere and setting should represent the times.

For the love of god no zombie shit, Undead Nightmare was a glorified horde mode.

No zombies. While I would have loved a zombie GTA in the past, I think Dead Rising 3, Saints Row 3, and others covered all I want for that.

I just hope for a pc or ps4 version to come soon.

aparisi2274

I wonder if there's a zombie pack given that their CEO said he would love zombie DLC for every game.

It would be awesome that instead of Zombies, it's people who got a hold of some bad meth from Trevor Phillips Enterprises, and it causes them to act all zombie like...

dreamfall

So I'm going to visit Los Santos twice before I visit Chicago in Watch Dogs?

Aha, goodness. I thought we were only supposed to visit for two months?!

June - I don't know if they'll have released new editions by then, by here's hoping!

entremet

This long gen cycle really is killing the hype with these high profile late games.

San Andreas came out when the PS2 was still very relevant in mindshare.

Alienous

Current Gen -> PC version (with tesselation 'n shit) -> Next Gen PC port with DLC (Game of the Generation edition?)

I'm sure of it.

I don't expect any talk of the release until next fiscal year. And I expect it to come out around the same time as the PC, Xbox One, PS4 ports....well at least the PC sounds definite.

Asgaro

Expand to PC. I don't play games with N64 framerates anymore.

I have a PS3 Slim and I haven't even bought GTA V for it...
Exactly because of the reason you describe: not the limited MP population per server, not the limited graphics, but the limited framerate.
Back in the days I completed GTA IV on PC. Few years later I bought a PS3 Slim and also bought GTA IV again.
Thought it would be fun to play through the game again in my living room. But I was immediately put off by the low frame rate. :(

"Unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas..."

Kind of weird to call out the location like that, hints that they're expanding the geography of the game.

"Southern San Andreas" is specifically the island in the game. I believe it's referred to such by Trevor, and in some other places. The wording to me suggests they won't be expanding the world, simply flesh out what they've already created (which is fine by me, since half of the landmass is utterly devoid of anything interesting to do).

Day one.

Btw, is anyone still playing Online? I think it was ok, but the last time I played it was like over a month ago.

And this is a really stupid question: Can you get platinium without online trophies? Isn't that possible in some games? Well anyway, the answer has to be "no".

Online is pretty much dead for most. They really bungled it and there's no motivation to play. It's impossible to get into full rooms if you want to play with friends, and if you do get into a full room, within 1 play mode it becomes people grinding specific races... Like 3 or 4 races and constantly "vote to replay" over and over again. Online coop missions are junk and a hassle, and 80% of them aren't any fun to play, the 20% of them that are interesting aren't as good as they originally made them seem.

Some things were just completely misleading about the original trailer and all of the previews of it... And setting up the kind of action you see in the trailer is all but impossible.

The design of the game is just poor, not well thought out, not play tested. It could be fun in ideal situations, with a bunch of friends who are all a high level who enjoy setting up crazy situations, but even then, it's really difficult and time consuming. Deathmatch is terrible. Team deathmatch is worse. "Last Team Standing" is pointless. You can't toggle settings or control the type of guns in a match... You can't even toggle free aim on or off without booting back to single player, and then re-launching MP, and then you're "sandboxed" into a world of people who have done the same thing, and there's legitimately NO people playing that way.

And then you have the glitchers and griefers. Many online sessions devolve into a tank glitch fest where somebody who managed to glitch their way into hundreds of millions of dollars has a never ending supply of tanks.

There are some truly original and great moments, only possible in a GTA game, but they are few and far between... Maybe once every 5 hours you get something that happens that's hilarious and awesome, only to be stuck in "The Commute" race or the free roam glitch fest for the other 4 hours 59 minutes.

GTA Online was very, very poorly planned and designed.

Top Bottom