• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar thanks GTA Online player who fixed poor load times, official update coming

TVexperto

"After a thorough investigation, we can confirm that player t0st did, in fact, reveal an aspect of the game code related to load times for the PC version of GTA Online that could be improved," the company said in a statement. "As a result of these investigations, we have made some changes that will be implemented in a forthcoming title update."

Rockstar didn't say when the fix might become available, nor did it confirm t0st's estimation of a 70 percent reduction in load times. It did confirm that the company has been in touch with t0st, however, "and would like to thank him again for his efforts."
how they're gonna thank him you ask? by banning him probably

Last edited:

Hugare

lmao, bet in the future companies will just rely on players to patch the game for them, cost cutting
It's almost as if these big $500 million dollar games have an infinite amount of lines of code that a programmer working 24/7 to Rockstar can't reserve time to look into since he is already working in new games for the company and etc.

You can call R* workers anything but lazy, dude

It's awesome that they've acknowledge it and are patching the game

Hopefuly they will reward him with some money or a position at the studio

Last edited:
It's almost as if these big $500 million dollar games have an infinite amount of lines of code that a programmer working 24/7 to Rockstar can't reserve time to look into since he is already working in new games for the company and etc.

You can call R* workers anything but lazy, dude

It's awesome that they've acknowledge it and are patching the game

Hopefuly they will reward him with some money or a position at the studio

The thank you in the statement is all he is getting

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
51toh7.jpg

Much credit to him and I'm sure they'll be adding credit to his account as gratitude. Rockstar games on the whole have always been solid but those load times are indeed atrocious.

Droxcy

Guy just completed a bug bounty rockstar didn’t even bother posting good job to the dude!

Sure he’ll land a job for sure if he already doesn’t have a good paying one.

Stitch

Gold Member
took them years to fix a bug where birds in the game where able to call the police.

no, seriously. if you killed someone in the game in a place with absolutely no one around you, like in the desert, the police would still get a call and hunt you down. turned out animals where able to call the police.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Like when Gaben reached out to the guy who got the early prototype of Half Life 2....lol

R* will hopefully do something cool and add him to the game or something.

We live in a world with a wildly incompetent people working everywhere. Incredible.
Guy/people that did it might be incompetent, but they might also not be.

Dev Houses often want things done fast, fast does enable magyver situations, things that are like that just to get the ball rolling and are supposed to be "just a prototype" and fixed later on, but some never are. The production rate being high also means overtime and tired developers (which is not good for writing the code equivalent to shakespeare).

Programmers get tasks assigned, if this was never assigned and therefore never fixed, that is not their fault, and any fix would come out of their own spare time (in some work environments that's not even possible, remember the code is not theirs). Software programs can be very complex too, so even if a programmer went through it, located the problem and thought about solving it, there's no guarantee that the fix won't screw something else and warrant hours and hours of debug - even if a dev encountered this, as late as last year he'd have to ask himself why was this not corrected, and assume maybe it was for a reason, because it broke something else (and therefore leave it alone).

Last but not least, the guy that solved the problem had the absolute worst scenario at play. His AMD 8-core CPU is from an era where AMD needed 8 cores to reach the multithreaded performance of 4 intel cores; the CPU had half the single threaded performance deemed normal for that clockspeed. So of course it would struggle with single threaded code more.

I doubt Rockstar ever had computers as crappy to test with, so the problem was less evident.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
They gave him 10k for anyone interested.

Update 2021-03-15​

• Got confirmation from R* that this is getting a fix soon
  • Just got awarded $10k trough their H1 in-game bounty as an exception :)) (usually only for security issues)
  • Trying to figure out what’s a W8 and how to fill it (lol)
  • I did try asking for more technical details but they couldn’t say anything
  • Will do another benchmark on my same old setup as soon as the update is out, I’m sure their engineers won’t dissapoint :)

RaZoR No1

Update 2021-03-15​

• Just got awarded $10k trough their H1 in-game bounty as an exception :)) (usually only for security issues)
  • Will do another benchmark on my same old setup as soon as the update is out, I’m sure their engineers won’t dissapoint :)
very generous of R*

TBH I expected them to give him just 500k GTA Online credits 😅

That's cool, really glad they paid them in real cash rather than virtual. Dude can buy a beast of PC now with some of that $10K.

peronmls

This should be embarrassing to coders of Rockstar. I like fan patches but fans having to fix games is why I don't buy games at full price anymore.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I swear Rockstar has some of the most talented community members.

Good to see this. GTA Online has always had so many issues.

took them years to fix a bug where birds in the game where able to call the police.

no, seriously. if you killed someone in the game in a place with absolutely no one around you, like in the desert, the police would still get a call and hunt you down. turned out animals where able to call the police.
Wait are you serious!????

Paltheos

Super cool. Could just be the press from times where the opposite happens (the developer responds... less than positively) but I feel like this isn't as common.

BeardGawd

Banned

Update 2021-03-15​

Kudos to Rockstar for giving this man his due.

Stitch

Gold Member
Wait are you serious!????
Yes

I had to use a mod to fix this before rockstar finally did it

Banjo64

cumsessed
Really cool story. Guy helps company, company aren’t total dick heads and actually listen and pay the guy handsomely for his efforts. Nice vibes.

It is kinda of a shame to rockstar devs working in this project. At least the company was humble and acknowledged the fact. It is baffling... even more when you think that this is probably one of the biggest cash cows around the industry.

Last edited:

Update 2021-03-15​

Only 10k? LMFAO

Dev Houses often want things done fast, fast does enable magyver situations, things that are like that just to get the ball rolling and are supposed to be "just a prototype" and fixed later on, but some never are.
While that might be so are you really going to tell me that nobody in house noticed that you have enough time to make a cup of tea while loading off an SSD? That nobody ever looked into it? They've been actively developing the game for over 7 years now. Maybe an issue like this makes it to release, but not this long. It's either incompetence or willful ignorance...or a mix of both.

Edit: And from a time saving standpoint alone it was worth assigning resources to fixing it for them. We've had to spend multiple minutes waiting for it to load into GTAO...so have they...every single time they changed anything and needed to test. Imagine how much development time they've spent waiting for the sky simulator.

Last edited:
Top Bottom