• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar uses cracked Max Payne 2 for Steam retail?

hah, really? :lol

Which company a few years back used an unofficial patch as an official one without telling people? I forget what game it was for.

Dachande

I wonder if it's because of something like Rockstar not having access to the Max Payne 2 source code? If that still belongs to Remedy, they won't have been able to make a non-DRMed exe, so this would have been their only option.

Brashnir said:
proving once and for all that pirates provide a better product than publishers.

I honestly tried for 4-5 days to get my copy of Dirt2 from the D2D sale to work. Tried a good dozen fixes I read about and ended up just downloading and inputting the key they emailed me. Worked on the first try.

DRM Fucking sucks and should be outlawed.

Dachande said:
I wonder if it's because of something like Rockstar not having access to the Max Payne 2 source code? If that still belongs to Remedy, they won't have been able to make a non-DRMed exe, so this would have been their only option.
Perhaps Rockstar didn't want to pay for Remedy's services.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dachande said:
Or they could have done the damned work themselves before making a profit off of a hacking group's code

Dead Man

Dachande said:
Or they could have hacked it themselves.

Edit: Beaten! :D

Gravijah

maybe "myth" is actually a rockstar employee who reverse engineered code he stole from within rockstar to release cracks for their games. maybe then rockstar found out and they gave him an ultimatum: give us the crack so we can put it in a steam release of the game, or you are fired.

Gattsu25

Banned
Gravijah said:
maybe "myth" is actually a rockstar employee who reverse engineered code he stole from within rockstar to release cracks for their games. maybe then rockstar found out and they gave him an ultimatum: give us the crack so we can put it in a steam release of the game, or you are fired.
Maybe this employee was a plant by 3DRealms. Maybe this employee was a giraffe. Maybe we shouldn't baselessly fucking speculate because it's idiotic?

Gravijah

Gattsu25 said:
Maybe this employee was a plant by 3DRealms. Maybe this employee was a giraffe. Maybe we shouldn't baselessly fucking speculate because it's idiotic?

i like your ideas too

Dead Man

Gattsu25 said:
Maybe Gattsu25 needs to chill out a bit at a joke post.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dachande said:

... how do you think the cracking group did it to begin with?

If Rockstar didn't have access to the source code, they should have written their own crack. Taking an off the shelf crack undermines bogus publisher arguments that off the shelf cracks are dangerous. It's en endorsement of all legal owners using cracks. And if legal owners are encouraged to use cracks and illegal owners are trivially going to use cracks, there's no justification for DRM to begin with.

wsippel

Banned
Brashnir said:
proving once and for all that pirates provide a better product than publishers.
In some cases they do. See Radium, especially the Fraunhofer Radium MP3 codec for example.

Dachande

Stumpokapow said:
... how do you think the cracking group did it to begin with?

If Rockstar didn't have access to the source code, they should have written their own crack. Taking an off the shelf crack undermines bogus publisher arguments that off the shelf cracks are dangerous. It's en endorsement of all legal owners using cracks. And if legal owners are encouraged to use cracks and illegal owners are trivially going to use cracks, there's no justification for DRM to begin with.

Cool your jets (and everyone else who jumped on me), I agree with you. I didn't say what Rockstar did was morally or legally right, it's just how they might've seen the situation at the time.

Of course they should've removed the DRM themselves, but if they wanted to get it on Steam ASAP then they probably went for the quickest, most painless option from their point of view. I doubt the publishing arm of the company has the calibre of programmers that the hacking group has and they probably didn't want to pay lots of money for someone like that to spend weeks doing it when it's been done already.

That's not an endorsement, just a statement of a theory. Calm down.

Wallach

My guess is that they find humor in doing it this way. This crack probably cost them some money back in the day (I'm sure they feel that way at least), and now it serves them to make money. I mean, they could have used the crack and taken out the logo very easily, and they didn't.

Edit - They updated the game and this was removed from the executable. :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Considering that cracks are actually illegal in some countries, this poses sort of a problem, does it not?

Truespeed

Someone should do a byte comparison between the old and new executable. I'd like to know what exactly was changed.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's not really possible to pirate your own merchandise. Still, Rockstar should acknowledge the crack group's work.
Seriously? If someone just busted your game like that? Hell I would've done the same if I was rockstar, would've saved money

purg3

slept with Malkin
:lol not the first time a dev/pub has used release group crack/files in a game, but still funny.

Aon

Thank god GAF is around to spot these gaffes :)

Also I have no problem with the publisher doing this, may as well recoup what revenue you can from the crack ><

Top Bottom