• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksteady: Arkham City is single player only

Suzzopher

Strictly a SINGLE PLAYER ONLY experience:
IGN: Now, give us a Valentine's Day gift and tell us SOMETHING about multiplayer. You know that the couple that plays together stays together – and that works for friends or significant others. What's going on with multiple players in Arkham City? Co-op? competitive? We must know!

Sefton Hill: There have been a number of rumors circulating about a multiplayer mode in Batman: Arkham City so let me start by saying, once and for all, that Batman: Arkham City is a "single-player only" experience.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1149377p1.html

Awesome news. I don't need multiplayer in this game.

farnham

Banned
yeah dont mess up the game with a lame multiplayer option that no one will play (cough cough metroid prime 2)

Keikoku

Banned
vg64252_Manly%20tears.jpg

Best info of the month.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good. More time to focus on the fantastical "I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN" experience.

Gravijah

ok, i will rent your game rocksteady. i like this.

edit: ^^though i wish you didn't make all your characters so ugly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watch now as IGN dock points because it's a single player only game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I would have liked a coop with Nightwing mode. But I accept this and am looking forward to it anyway!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Co-Op would have been nice, but any game where I can try to 1000/1000 without going online is a good thing.

ultron87

I wouldn't have minded if this included some sort of side-story co-op campaign or some sort of adversarial Batman vs Thugs mode, but if this is what it takes for them to make the best single player experience they can then that works for me too.

As much as the AA brawling style would fit a Simpsons Arcade Game-esque co-op thingy, pretty much every other aspect of the game (stealth, general level navigation) simply wouldn't work in actual co-op (but might work very nicely anyway if you have occasional AI-controlled NPC partners who come in and out of the SP game, all of whom would hopefully be playable in challenge levels).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lakitu said:
Is there a list of confirmed villains?
So far:

Confirmed:
Dr. Hugo Strange
The Joker
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Two Face
Victor Zsasz
Calendar Man

Semi-Confirmed By Voice Actors:
Mr. Freeze
Talia al Ghul
The Riddler

Rumored:
The Penguin

ultron87

iconoclast said:
Great news. My interest in this game has increased tenfold.

Now this attitude I don't really understand.

Do you automatically assume that a game's single player is going to be garbage if they also take some time to add a multiplayer mode? Do you not trust the developers and their ability to split resources at all?

There have been plenty of examples where a developer takes a strong single player experience, adds multiplayer for the sequel and *gasp* creates a game that has both a great single player and a fun multiplayer.

Nirolak said:
So far:

Confirmed:
Dr. Hugo Strange
The Joker
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Two Face

Rumored:
The Penguin
Does that rumor comes from talk or just the usage of
The Penquin's club