• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rod Fergusson says The Coalition are open to making games other than Gears in the future

Fluzer

Banned
It’s a terrible answer, but it’s a ‘never say never’ thing,” said Fergusson. “We’re The Coalition. We wanted to brand ourselves around the franchise. We were looking at Turn 10, and we were looking at 343, and going, ‘okay, these are dedicated studios to a dedicated franchise.’ And so, we’re very dedicated to the Gears of War franchise, but that’s not to say we won’t do other things.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Translation...

"Microsoft, our team are really,really bored of spending our careers on this franchise, let us loose on something else."

VAL0R

Banned
Translation...

"Microsoft, our team are really,really bored of spending our careers on this franchise, let us loose on something else."
Rod loves the franchise and moved to Canada largely because it would allow him to lead Gears projects. He knew exactly what he was getting into.

Wimbledon

THANK GOODNESS.

I hope 343i also follow suits in the future.

It's much easier to create something , then start where where someone left off, and attempt to live up to that standard.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
kg6GVrL.png

Riven326

Banned
Of course they are. Just like 343 is open to making something other than Halo. It's just that Microsoft won't allow it. For some reason. They could easily double their first party output. But apparently Spencer and the others are just too retarded to understand this.

Meanwhile, Sony has more studios and encourages them to develop new IP's. You'd think it would be the other way around. The games media refuses to ask Phil Spencer about. Not a single one will ask why MS first party is stuck making the same shit over and over.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It's sad, with the great universe of Gears, how little they did with it. Gears 5 was meh, though with more work to turn it into an open ended game rather than the same corridor cover shooter the next one could be great. Gears Tactics was a nice little departure and I liked it initially but the more I played it the more I got bored with it, and ultimately it's a very flat experience - the lack of Xcom 2-like overworld really hurt it. And with no mod support either, it's just dead forever. Sadly I'm not even sure I can say it was worth the $1 Gamepass cost me, because I still have to account for my time.

Gears really could've used the Ubisoft treatment - multiple studios working on different gears games in parallel. Really expanding the universe & fandom. Instead we just got the same mess from 20 years ago but with fancier graphics (which also got scaled back a lot in ambition). And is there anyone stepping up at the studio (or Microsoft) for a change of direction & an infusion of more ambition and daring? Right. Meh.

oldergamer

First MS is what's stopping studios from making something else. Its within their control. You guys are full of some serious crap. Gears 5 is by far and away the best gears game when it comes to graphics or story.

Rod furgerson doesnt even work there anymore. This was an old quote!

Dory16

Banned
It's sad, with the great universe of Gears, how little they did with it. Gears 5 was meh, though with more work to turn it into an open ended game rather than the same corridor cover shooter the next one could be great. Gears Tactics was a nice little departure and I liked it initially but the more I played it the more I got bored with it, and ultimately it's a very flat experience - the lack of Xcom 2-like overworld really hurt it. And with no mod support either, it's just dead forever. Sadly I'm not even sure I can say it was worth the $1 Gamepass cost me, because I still have to account for my time.

Gears really could've used the Ubisoft treatment - multiple studios working on different gears games in parallel. Really expanding the universe & fandom. Instead we just got the same mess from 20 years ago but with fancier graphics (which also got scaled back a lot in ambition). And is there anyone stepping up at the studio (or Microsoft) for a change of direction & an infusion of more ambition and daring? Right. Meh.
blah.. blah... blah
Gears 5 mas a masterpiece of a game both technically and story wise.
No open world game has won a GOTY award in recent years so I'm not sure why you are making it some sort of critria for a good game.
Is God of war a open world game? Is Sekiro? Is Control? Is The Last of Us? Which of those games is "Meh" by virtue of not being an open world game?
Smh.

Kikorin

They can keep doing Gears or not, but I guess is a studio with big talent, but somehow still never delivered as much as they could.

To me Gears 4 was pretty bad, but the first hours of Gears 5 were really good, somehow lat me hope in a campaign at Gears 2 level. Sadly, as soon as the "open world" part begone, the game become super boring.

in addition, the ending was pretty much as bad as the Gears 4 ending, but at this point I hope Gears 6 will finally be the good one.

Shmunter

First MS is what's stopping studios from making something else. Its within their control. You guys are full of some serious crap. Gears 5 is by far and away the best gears game when it comes to graphics or story.

Rod furgerson doesnt even work there anymore. This was an old quote!
I haven’t played it but I’ve seen the gfx detailed in videos. While Gears 5 looks nice, what’s disappointing is the big step back in the environmental interactivity and lack of overall attention to detail from the 360 days. But this is down to the poor current gen CPU’s no doubt, not the fault of the studios. Next gen once the Jaguars are no longer an anchor, things should come into their own with physics, destruction etc. no need to sacrifice one aspect for another.

oldergamer

I haven’t played it but I’ve seen the gfx detailed in videos. While Gears 5 looks nice, what’s disappointing is the big step back in the environmental interactivity and lack of overall attention to detail from the 360 days. But this is down to the poor current gen CPU’s no doubt, not the fault of the studios. Next gen once the Jaguars are no longer an anchor, things should come into their own with physics, destruction etc. no need to sacrifice one aspect for another.
You clearly havent played the game. Seriously.

oldergamer

Seriously. Play the game or stop talking about it. You really think you will convince myself or others that own the game by posting comparison videos. Think about it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I really liked Gears 5 after being disappointed in Gears 4, Gears 5 was a nice surprise. They could probably make a good new IP

Shmunter

Seriously. Play the game or stop talking about it. You really think you will convince myself or others that own the game by posting comparison videos. Think about it.
Whoa whoa. Was that a reply to me? What did I do to deserve such a vigorous finger blasting, lol

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Of course they are. Just like 343 is open to making something other than Halo. It's just that Microsoft won't allow it. For some reason. They could easily double their first party output. But apparently Spencer and the others are just too retarded to understand this.

Meanwhile, Sony has more studios and encourages them to develop new IP's. You'd think it would be the other way around. The games media refuses to ask Phil Spencer about. Not a single one will ask why MS first party is stuck making the same shit over and over.
On the contrary 343i said they have a 10 years plan for Halo. Its easy to just throw your narrative on everything. Halo has a huge fandom behind it, lore and speculation for Halo Infinite are running wild all over the internet. If Microsoft ignores a whole fanbase and instead tries to satisfy the likes of thelastword, they are doomed. Halo and Forza have a huge fanbase that are excited for new titles, ofcourse they also appreciate the extra time 343i and Turn 10 are taking this time to give the fans what they want. No way is Microsoft going to cancel these franchises over some console war jargon on the internet.
Coalition on the other hand has hinted on a new title for a while. I can see Gears Tactics replacing the mainline series and Coalition work on Perfect Dark or MechAssault or something new

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

If the coalition was to get the chance to do something non-gears, my hope would be that they go back to work on that early concept they had from when they were 'black tusk' ...

Riven326

Banned
On the contrary 343i said they have a 10 years plan for Halo. Its easy to just throw your narrative on everything. Halo has a huge fandom behind it, lore and speculation for Halo Infinite are running wild all over the internet. If Microsoft ignores a whole fanbase and instead tries to satisfy the likes of thelastword, they are doomed. Halo and Forza have a huge fanbase that are excited for new titles, ofcourse they also appreciate the extra time 343i and Turn 10 are taking this time to give the fans what they want. No way is Microsoft going to cancel these franchises over some console war jargon on the internet.
Coalition on the other hand has hinted on a new title for a while. I can see Gears Tactics replacing the mainline series and Coalition work on Perfect Dark or MechAssault or something
Yeah, doesn't everything have a yen year plan these days? It's not my narrative. MS refused to let Bungie or Lionhead work on anything other than Halo and Fable. It's what they've been doing for a long time.

Last edited:
Hard to fathom how little gears has evolved as a franchise. I really wanted them to reboot things once they bought it from epic and make it less “dude-bro” if you will ala god of war(i loved the trilogy but it was time for a makeover tone-wise). The story is so cringey and predictable and the multiplayer is such a mess. Its a shame because i loved the first one to pieces and the universe is so damn cool but the tone of the game and its dialogue are hard to take serious and really get immersed for me.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Hard to fathom how gears has evolved as a franchise. I really wanted them to reboot things once they bought it from epic and make it less “dude-bro” if you will ala god of war(i loved the trilogy but it was time for a makeover tone-wise). The story is of so little interest to me and the multiplayer is such a mess. Its a shame because i loved the first one to and the universe is so cool but the tone of the game is hard to love.
Really? I’m the opposite, the unabashed over the top dude bro is the defining character for me. Like Jessy Ventura from Predator. It’s it’s own thing.

Codes 208

I have the same feeling but I cannot day for sure.
On my side, I played Gears 1, 2 & 3 but nothing after.
Gears 4 was decent. Not a bad first game by the coalition and a welcome departure from judgement’s gameplay. But 5 kinda...sucks? I mean its so as bad of an entry to an otherwise huge series like halo 5 was (well, maybe. Thats debatable as atleast halo 5 has a solid MP now), but its also very middling. There are some cool things about the campaign but i hated how they did the ending and the multiplayer turned into a farce when it comes to new content.

as for general irrelevance, i would sayreddit is a good measurement, the gears subreddit is pretty small compared to other AAA titles.
When cliffy left and the rights went to MS, the spirit of gears just kinda dissipated.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Gears 5 is the best Gears game I've played on PC hands down. Gameplay and gunplay is just miles better than in Gears 1 and 4, plus characters and story is also much better and I'l like to play as Kait again. Can't wait for Gears 6 or any other game from The Coalition, they've earned my trust.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Gears needs a rethink of the franchise, the formula was revolutionary and impressive when it launched in the 360, but it’s clearly washed down right now.

Also, the chick with the “I want to speak to the manager” haircut and the Marcus Fenix son are not charismatic characters. And the “mistery” around queen Myrrah isn’t that interesting neither.

Last edited:
Gears 5 was a blessing and a curse
I’m super glad that they had answered how and why the locust was created. What I didn’t like about it was the open world aspect, like why bother? I’m not trying to search for stupid parts. The multiplayer maps is absolute garbage, I got super played on gears 4 ultimate edition that I didn’t even buy the 5th installment(free trial game pass) I wish cliff could be working on the next one to finish it out, created it and ended it.

The coalition has proven they can deliver quality AAA titles both on time and up to standard. They do however have lots of rough edges and areas to improve upon both as a studio and on the Gears IP specifically. That's what is separating them from the ND/Sony Santa Monica's of the world. Attention to detail, better storytelling etc are areas they can improve. I definitely think after shipping 2 Gears in a row and delivering for Microsoft they've earned the right to do their own thing: a new AAA IP - passion driven project. Maybe they come out as Guerrila Games did this gen after they shelved Killzone to bring out Horizon. Hopefully that repeats here. I really hope they try something new and fresh.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

This make me feel MS approach to lisences and studios will lead to another Bungie situation
You act like they murdered Bungie or something. They wanted to do their own thing, so Microsoft made them independent. There is nothing stopping Coalition from doing another IP, and they themselves have already hinted at it a lot for now, irrespective of how much some GAF poster tries to push the narrative. 343i and Turn 10 do want to make more Halo and Forza and contrary to what some people here think, they actually love doing that.

Top Bottom