• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodea the Sky Soldier Confirmed for Western Release

Probably gonna get the 3DS version of this provided it turns out okay.

Genuinely pretty surprised NISA announced this, but not complaining at all.

AniHawk

– Game kicks off with an inventor named Ion reactivating Rodea
– Rodea is a tailed flying humanoid robot
– Rodea was a soldier for Princess Cecilia and the Garuda Kingdom who battled the Naga Empire a thousand years ago
– The Empire suddenly returns to wage war against Garuda, so Rodea again must battle
– Has a NiGHTS vibe
– Wii U/3DS versions are different from the Wii original
– These versions change from an “arcade” play style to a “sky adventure”
– No pointer controls like in the Wii game
– There is a targeting system in the Wii U/3DS versions
– Move a targeting reticle and press A to have Rodea travel in the desired direction
– Press X while on the ground to travel straight upward in the air
– Can perform a spin attack with the B button
– Y button: use equipped weapons to shoot down enemies
– Rodea’s world is made up of many floating islands
– Rodea has a limited flight ability
– Can collect floating crystals in the air
– If you target one while flying in the direction of a several in a row, Rodea will automatically collect them all
– There are rings to fly through and other intermediate targets
– Final game has hidden areas and multiple paths
– There are also obstacles such as zip lines and time trial challenges
– StreetPass support for 3DS version
– This allows players to gain new items
– 2D art on the 3DS’ touch screen
– Ion talks to you while flying around
– Game is full of voice dialogue

http://nintendoeverything.com/rodea-the-sky-soldier-details/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
hoooooly shit! I just saw this! I'm so glad NIS is bringing Rodea over. I really hope they do include the Wii version with the Wii U package.

[edit]
Wii version could be a good preorder bonus or good content for a limited edition.

I'd be down for that, too.

Shauni

My ideal hope is that both the Wii U and 3DS versions are priced at $30-40, with the Wii U version getting the Wii version as bonus. But I'd be okay with the Wii U version being a full $60 if it came with the Wii version as just an additional thing, 2 for 1 basically.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So glad that this is actually getting localized, really hope that we get the Wii version as well.

I will probably skip out on getting the 3DS version since it's the same as the Wii U version, but I can't decide at the moment.

Barakov

Gold Member
Everything I saw in the trailer made it look absolutely fantastic. Really glad this is coming over. I can say this is a definite surprise.

I stoked this is coming over. Like, aesthetically, if this was any other developer I'd probably have a hard time caring, but I've been excited to play this for a while now.

I'm still confused as to how it plays though, the control method looks pretty unconventional, possibly repetitive, but possibly fun.

AniHawk

I stoked this is coming over. Like, aesthetically, if this was any other developer I'd probably have a hard time caring, but I've been excited to play this for a while now.

I'm still confused as to how it plays though, the control method looks pretty unconventional, possibly repetitive, but possibly fun.

thing about the game is that there are few like it with regards to how it controls. gravity rush, from the little i've played, is like it. you use the a button to set a direction for rodea and while he's kind of coasting/gliding towards that spot, you can adjust that location by moving the slide pad and pressing a again. there are some things you can lock onto, such as enemies, portals, and those yellow bits, and that have a sort of special pre-lock on red mark to signify they're important.

there's a learning curve to the controls, but it's rather easy to zoom around after the initial 5-10 minutes, which would basically include the prologue level and the first level of the game.

I could totally see NISA releasing the Wii version with a Limited Edition. That way they can count on sales from their typical customers who buy all of their LEs and collector types who would be interested in a low-print game on a last-gen system.

I find it hilarious that if the Wii version makes it over (or maybe regardless since it's still out in Japan) it automatically becomes Wii GOTY 2015.

Pandora's Tower was Wii GOTY 2013 in America. I guess 2014 was between Just Dance 2015, Fifa 2015 and Skylanders Trap Team. I'm going to give it to Skylanders.

hm is this wii u's only retail 3rd party release of 2015?

also i want to support this game but man i don't think i'll like it, not a fan of on rails games but i'll probably get it just to put it in my collection

Lego, Project Cars and Legend of Kay. Think they're the only ones.

I still don't know what to think of this game. Aesthetically it looks really good, and it'd be cool to play a Yuji naka game again. But I don't know how to feel about the gameplay, initially I thought it'd be like KI:U or Sin and Punishment but apparently it's not, I've looked up info and videos of gameplay but I still don't know what the hell to make of it but so far it's not looking too good. Hopefully it's one of those things that looks awful but ends up playing really well.

I'll be buying both. Aesthetically, this just appeals to me on a level that I can't really describe...it's like a long lost Dreamcast game.

Yeah, I might buy both versions as well. It wouldn't be the first time either. I own two versions of Shovel Knight and both versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. If I fall in love with a game, I'm not against buying it twice lol

AniHawk

I still don't know what to think of this game. Aesthetically it looks really good, and it'd be cool to play a Yuji naka game again. But I don't know how to feel about the gameplay, initially I thought it'd be like KI:U or Sin and Punishment but apparently it's not, I've looked up info and videos of gameplay but I still don't know what the hell to make of it but so far it's not looking too good. Hopefully it's one of those things that looks awful but ends up playing really well.

it's hard to make a direct comparison from this game to any other - you have to make combinations like 'it's like sonic and nights!' like other games that don't fit a standard mold, such as nights into dreams... and soul bubbles, some have considered this a platformer. like those, it isn't, but it shares a lot of platformer sensibilities.

This is great to hear. I didn't expect this, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm probably going to get the 3DS version, but this looks like it would be great on a TV...

Wii version could be a good preorder bonus or good content for a limited edition.

Yeah, that would be great.

Nanashrew

Banned
it's so weird....I was wishing for this to get localized and now it is. That almost NEVER happens!

Are you sure?

image.php

Etria

Definitely keeping an eye on this game, especially the Wii (hopefully) and Wii U versions. Looks interesting :)

Top Bottom