• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodea the Sky Soldier Confirmed for Western Release

For the perplexed, the Wii version is a good thing because Dolphin exists.

• 4k support
  • Potential Oculus Rift Support.
Of course I'd want to know which version plays better, and supported 60fps before buying.

Nimby

Banned
I was editing my OP with the wii confirmation when it got locked for some reason.
Still, great to hear. Hope it's bundled with the Wii U version

Different games, basically.
Different controls schemes, different focuses, and different visuals.
Original version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdoekGz9Z8
versus Wii U/3DS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2phX5GRXnjw

Yeah. The Wii version looks infinitely superior. I wonder what was the reasoning to port the 3DS version instead of the Wii version?

Yeah. The Wii version looks infinitely superior. I wonder what was the reasoning to port the 3DS version instead of the Wii version?
I'm guessing since they made the 3DS game around touch controls and the Wii U has the gamepad included instead of a wii mote.

For the new page. What the developers say on differences:

The Wii U and 3DS game is a “sky adventure” while the original Wii project is “flying action”. Comparing things on another level, the Wii version is “pure action” while Wii U has added “growth” elements.

http://nintendoeverything.com/the-latest-on-rodea-the-sky-soldier/

Sounds like the original was a more pure Nights-like game (score/attack-focused) while the new version added RPG elements and probably more exploration.

The color is also far better in the Wii version. What were they thinking with the Wii U version looking so dull? :(

Wii version in HD. You had ONE JOB!

This game sounds so cool, like something you'd think could have only happened in the PS2 era and not in 2015 anymore.

WiiU already had a decent 2015, looks like we can add 1 more to the list :). As a new WiiU owner, feels good man.

Hikami

Is that Kana Hanazawa in the trailer I hear? Love her voice acting.
Man, I usually go with English dubs but I hope they keep the Japanese one for this. (Assuming it's being dubbed)

Joqu

Definitely interested in all of them. I hope the Wii version is on disc but I'd be fine with a download code tbh.

Nimby

Banned
The color is also far better in the Wii version. What were they thinking with the Wii U version looking so dull? :(

Wii version in HD. You had ONE JOB!

Yes. The "new" one looks so dull. I may have to get both though. I'd probably skip out the 3DS version. The Wii U needs more support for games like this, the Wii had tons.

Is that Kana Hanazawa in the trailer I hear? Love her voice acting.
Man, I usually go with English dubs but I hope they keep the Japanese one for this. (Assuming it's being dubbed)

I'm not sure. Tried to check the JP page for confirmation, but they didn't put the seiyuu on character page :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't get it. I thought they cancelled the original Wii version.

Capra

Hoping for a bundle deal with Wii and Wii U discs like Bayonetta 1/2. Even if not I'm definitely picking this up in some form.

They finished the game completely and then didn't release it. They decided to bundle the wii version with the wiiu version in japan as a bonus because it's apparently a drastically different game so why not exploit that bonus content?

They just don't make games like Rodea anymore. I really hope it turns out well. Might buy all 3 versions if the Wii version is bundled in with the wii u one
Wii version was finished but never released, it's coming out in japan bundled in with the Wii U release at launch

Mikel1015

Banned
If they release both Wii and Wii U as a bundle with the Wii U version, it would allow people to choose whichever one they would prefer to play in a single purchase instead of buying both.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It was pretty clear that was the plan once they changed the title from this

KU9TBq5.jpg

to this

CQXW8FV.jpg

what's surprising is that they're actually bringing the wii version with it.

Armigr

Bless your heart NISA, especially for bringing the Wii version over too. I can't wait to play this game!

Hopefully Nintendo follows suit and brings Fatal Frame 5 over to the West soon. :p

The official trailer. No mention of Wii version.

http://youtu.be/mf1uoFg69tg

Here's Yuji Naka talking before and after it.

http://youtu.be/7OWmtqYyask

Edit:press Release:

About the game:
1,000 years ago, Emperor Geardo of the Naga Empire sent an army of machine soldiers to invade the sky kingdom of Garuda. Thanks to the efforts of Princess Cecilia and Rodea, a machine soldier who promised to protect Garuda, Emperor Geardo’s assault was thwarted.

In present day, a spirited inventor named Ion discovers an abandoned robot that has fallen into disrepair in the heart of a scorching desert. Upon completing her repairs, the robot stirs to life and reveals itself to be none other than Rodea. Stunned to find himself in the future, Rodea learns that the Naga Empire is no more and that Garuda has known peace for 1,000 years.

But this peace was not meant to last, for the forces of Naga have returned to wage war against Garuda. Remembering the promise he made 1,000 years ago, Rodea takes to the skies to defend Garuda from the Naga Empire once again.

Key Features:
Touch the Sky – Complete each mission by traversing the aerial kingdom of Garuda while solving puzzles and demolishing enemies! Upgrade your flight capabilities and take full control of the air to discover secrets of the past and hints of the future.

Delightful Tinkering – Explore each level and shatter enemies to collect Gears and Gravitons which Ion can use in her workshop to upgrade Rodea with new abilities and weapons, from upgrading his stats (such as health, attack damange, and speed) to powerful machine guns.

Colossal Battles – Engage in battles on an epic scale as you combat the massive automatons of the Naga army. Dodge and weave in acrobatic combat as you evade the behemoths’ attacks and locate their weaknesses.

Endless Hours of Fun – Replay your favorite levels to better your time and uncover numerous hidden objectives and items. Upgrade your gear to set new speed records and increase your score.

http://nintendoeverything.com/rodea-the-sky-soldier-confirmed-for-north-america-and-europe-out-this-fall/

Was the Wii version listing a mistake? It's either that or a limited edition bonus for Wii U.

Elija2

It was pretty clear that was the plan once they changed the title from this

KU9TBq5.jpg

to this

CQXW8FV.jpg

what's surprising is that they're actually bringing the wii version with it.

Too bad the new logo looks way worse. Although it's interesting that the O has the same diagonal shape as the one in the Sonic logo. I wonder if that was on purpose.

zroid

Banned
nC4lRF2.png

edit:
According to a NIS America representative, the company wants to include the Wii version as a pack-in with the Wii U version (like the Japanese version), but cannot confirm right now.

One way they can fix this is by making changes to the Wii U version for the west. Remember that Ivy was changed to have more color in the west? Why not with Rodea?

They also need to do a texture swap with the Wii version because they look pretty damn nasty on Wii U. Or at least disable any compression. Weird since Capcom did the same with MH3U where the textures were MUCH higher-res on Wii U than on 3DS.

So fix the color and textures, and make it run in 60fps if it doesn't already, then I say you're good!

Native 1080p also shouldn't be out of the question with such a low polygon count.

Hell, I'd honestly be fine if they just DID IT ALL OVER and just did a west-exclusive port of the Wii version.

That can happen... right? :(

Top Bottom