• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodea the Sky Soldier |OT| NiGHTS & Punishment~The last good Wii game is in captivity

AniHawk

Sounds like the game is pretty bad without motion controls.
Will play the Wii version whenever I get some time.

the game is fine without motion controls. it's a different version of the yuji naka game with some extra stuff to make it more exploration based instead of action based. for some reason people are really having a super difficult time grasping the controls and i really think they're overthinking what they have to do in the game. movements are a lot more subtle than what i suspect they're doing. a lot of the complaints about the camera don't make sense either because it seemed easy enough for me to keep rodea centered, at least on the wii u version (the 3ds version has a kind of way to do this too but it's not as good as the wii u's right stick).

I've just received a mail from Amazon Germany that according to Google says they don't know when the thing will arrive.

Is it the time to panic?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Rodea + $21 of store credit at GS cost me $52.19 thanks to GCU. No idea when I'll ever use the GS credit... was hoping to use it on a Wii points card but all they carry are Wii U/3DS cards.

I checked Best Buy.

Store credit for the Wii U game is $30, if you have GCU, it's $36.

Worth it and still keep the Wii version.

Because I have no clue what that's supposed to mean.

Genie-Point-and-Jaw-Drop-Alladin.gif

It is only a famous Beatles song.....

....and actually describes the game (You know Rodea.....in the sky......collecting gems).

Am I old now? Is this what being old feels like?

Ventara

Hey guys, is the bonus soundtrack that comes with the 3DS the same as the one that comes in the LE? It kinda looks like it, but I'm not sure.

So even though I almost never get new games (and don't have a Wii U so I'd only be playing the Wii version), I got this. I played a few levels and it seems fun, but haven't gotten farther into it yet. It's definitely VERY Sonic or NiGHTS-like in gameplay. The story is a bit too 3d Sonic-like too in its overdramatic cutscenes... ah well. The gameplay seems good.

there's a bit of this game that reminds me of sonic and the secret rings.
That's promising, since Secret Rings is one of my favorite 3d Sonic games. :)

Played the first three levels of the Wii version last night and it's OK. Flying around feels nice enough, but I'm not sure the gameplay will develop enough to keep me interested.

Amalthea

Banned
Played the Wii-version first and good grief they should've released this while it was still hot!

But at least we have it now.

flohen95

Amazon Germany now estimates they'll deliver my game early December.

Not that anyone cares, but still.

Weird, since I got my game from Amazon.de today. When did you order?

On a different note: What's interesting is that the Wii U version actually comes in a US Wii U case, which is a bit slimmer, has less rounded edges, has "cut out" symbols underneath the manuals and the disc and a different looking "opening mechanism" (I'm sorry that I can't find the right words for that right now, I hope you guys get what I'm talking about :p).
I suppose NISA did that to save money, since it's the first EU game with more than 1 disc in the same box (I think Bayonetta 2 had this in the US, yeah?) and they would have to get a seperate 2 disc EU box manufactured.

ohlawd

got my Rodea LE from NISA

holy shit, not even a week since it shipped. this is freaking great. I expected to get my order on the 24th at the bare minimum

zroid

Banned
So did anyone try trading in the Wii U version at Gamestop or somewhere? Will they accept it without the Wii disc?

Still not sure if I'm gonna do that but TBH I really only bought it for the Wii game so...

Shizuka

So did anyone try trading in the Wii U version at Gamestop or somewhere? Will they accept it without the Wii disc?

Still not sure if I'm gonna do that but TBH I really only bought it for the Wii game so...

The Wii version is a bonus, I don't think they can demand that you only trade-in both versions.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I got my copy today and gross, the US Wii U box is just feels cheap and has holes on the inside left.

I've just received a mail from Amazon Germany that according to Google says they don't know when the thing will arrive.

Is it the time to panic?

Amazon Germany needs to talk to Amazon UK or at least to NISA because the game was released today.

Megauap

I went to get my copy today from GAME and they haven't arrived yet. Will have to wait until monday to get it, it's gonna be a long weekend. Luckily I have Fallout 4 :)

Duster

Base.com send my copy out today, it's £35 for the regular WiiU edition if anybody is having trouble getting it elsewhere.

MilkBeard

Picked up the game yesterday and played the intro and first level. It took a minute to get used to the controls but after a bit I was whizzing around like no one's business. At times it really does feel like a spiritual successor to Sonic and also NiGHTS. Really cool.

There was a weird glitch at the end of chapter one where the audio went out of sync with the video. Wonder if that was just a weird glitch or if it is something that happens for others.

schlew

The Wii game is one of the most refreshing and fun games I've played all year. Happy that I had the opportunity to finally play it.

Flying is incredible, all due to the game's controls. They're so simple, but allow for more freedom than I imagined (like being able to select a second flight path while traveling to your first end point).

And these boss battles...wow. Really impressed, as they combine so many elements into one encounter.

I can't speak more highly of this game, sad that Kadokawa didn't get Prope to port this to Wii U themselves. This is the true version, and it's a shame it's seen as the bonus to something so mediocre.

MilkBeard

That first boss battle was really fun. It reminds me of the first time I played a boss fight in NiGHTS, when I had the demo that came with the Saturn. Such simple, good fun. This game really does feel like a blast from the past, in a good way. What is going on with Prope nowadays?

AniHawk

Level 4 or 5 where you're defending that building from those fighter jets was awesome.

the game picks up too. i really like the variety the game offers as it progresses. the last two real levels are probably my favorite.

the only ones i really didn't like were the ones where wind was blowing you places. i think in the 3ds version there's no visual effect of the wind which really impacts it even more.

still have yet to play the wii version, but i liked going back to previous levels in the wii u game and finding new things.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Any idea how long the current print run will hang around? I was thinking of picking it up as part of Target's B2G1 sale, but I already bought games earlier in the week and I didn't want to drop a bunch of cash at once.

...but I don't want to miss the Wii game either.

MilkBeard

Any idea how long the current print run will hang around? I was thinking of picking it up as part of Target's B2G1 sale, but I already bought games earlier in the week and I didn't want to drop a bunch of cash at once.

...but I don't want to miss the Wii game either.

Probably a little while. They won't make a second print until stock is gone for the first print, I bet....however, I'm not sure how long stock will last. My best buy had like 4 or 5 copies. But once they are gone, they will be gone. So don't wait too long.

And the cases will probably be the same. There is a sticker that says "extra game included" and that's pretty much the only way to tell that it has the Wii game inside. We will see, though. Maybe they will tweak the box art.

Samuray

How does the outer packaging of the LE look in person? The shots on the store site make it look huge :)
Would anyone feel inclined to snap a photo of it, preferably next to the standard game case for comparison purposes?

smisk

So has anyone uploaded the Wii version? I have zero desire to play the Wii U one and definitely don't want to pay $60 just for a Wii game in 2016.

So I started playing the Wii version and it's great. Feels like Sonic Adventure but with flying. There's no reason to keep the Wii u version around right? I might go back and trade it into Best Buy if they are still giving $30 trade in credit as said above.

So has anyone uploaded the Wii version? I have zero desire to play the Wii U one and definitely don't want to pay $60 just for a Wii game in 2016.
If by uploaded you mean piracy you aren't going to last long on neogaf, pretty sure talking about piracy gets you banned here.

AniHawk

Weird, since I got my game from Amazon.de today. When did you order?

On a different note: What's interesting is that the Wii U version actually comes in a US Wii U case, which is a bit slimmer, has less rounded edges, has "cut out" symbols underneath the manuals and the disc and a different looking "opening mechanism" (I'm sorry that I can't find the right words for that right now, I hope you guys get what I'm talking about :p).
I suppose NISA did that to save money, since it's the first EU game with more than 1 disc in the same box (I think Bayonetta 2 had this in the US, yeah?) and they would have to get a seperate 2 disc EU box manufactured.

they would have needed two disc cases for europe, plus a slipcase or something for both of them, and then they'd have to be manufactured at different quantities. they probably saved a lot more than the cost of the disc case.

didn't know that wii u disc cases in europe were different though.

DeVeAn

Okay read OP and want Wii version specifically. I don't buy physical copies anymore but, this is the only way to get the Wii Version correct? Ugh, working so hard to reduce clutter and bringing more Disc based games is the last thing I need. Also sucks that this is so limited.

TheMoon

What is going on with Prope nowadays?

Making games for StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Okay read OP and want Wii version specifically. I don't buy physical copies anymore but, this is the only way to get the Wii Version correct? Ugh, working so hard to reduce clutter and bringing more Disc based games is the last thing I need. Also sucks that this is so limited.

Thought I was very clear on that part. :)

How can I get my hands on the Wii version then?

The Wii version is only available with first print physical copies of the Wii U game. No other way of getting your hands on it. It's not on the eShop. You won't get it with a digital Wii U eShop purchase of the Wii U version. Also, if you buy the retail Wii U version, you can't even buy it without the Wii game included at all (until they make a second print run - if that ever happens). So no need to panic.

AniHawk

i finally had some time with the wii version and... yeah i probably prefer it overall. i think it feels like a good sega-made dreamcast game. the one thing that irks me about the controls is the lack of nunchuck support - i get that yuji naka was sort of on this wii remote-only kick for a couple of years but i feel like this really could have helped with the camera controls, even to the point where rodea could at least jump. that said, the game does a pretty good job of staying behind rodea for the most part and keeping the action moving forward. just started world 3.

if the wii version is a long-lost dreamcast game, the wii u version is like a long-lost n64 game. i don't mean that really negatively, but it has more sensibilities with a 1990s collectathon platformer. and it's actually pretty remarkable at how a few tweaks to the overall game system can make a game feel extremely different. of course, the level design is not the same either, but this is a difference i like. it feels like some thought went into how the game was changing and they worked to find solutions. gravitons have way more utility here - in addition to getting extra lives and stringing together a long flight chain, they can activate a special murder attack and serve as a reserve flight meter. and of course they can refill your flight meter if you're in the sky. because the collectibles are hidden around the world and because there are rewards tied to them, i feel more inclined to collect them. i'm aware of bonuses for doing really special stuff in the wii version too, but this is more upfront about it. i don't know. i still like the slower-paced exploration game.

MilkBeard

i finally had some time with the wii version and... yeah i probably prefer it overall. i think it feels like a good sega-made dreamcast game. the one thing that irks me about the controls is the lack of nunchuck support - i get that yuji naka was sort of on this wii remote-only kick for a couple of years but i feel like this really could have helped with the camera controls, even to the point where rodea could at least jump. that said, the game does a pretty good job of staying behind rodea for the most part and keeping the action moving forward. just started world 3.

if the wii version is a long-lost dreamcast game, the wii u version is like a long-lost n64 game. i don't mean that really negatively, but it has more sensibilities with a 1990s collectathon platformer. and it's actually pretty remarkable at how a few tweaks to the overall game system can make a game feel extremely different. of course, the level design is not the same either, but this is a difference i like. it feels like some thought went into how the game was changing and they worked to find solutions. gravitons have way more utility here - in addition to getting extra lives and stringing together a long flight chain, they can activate a special murder attack and serve as a reserve flight meter. and of course they can refill your flight meter if you're in the sky. because the collectibles are hidden around the world and because there are rewards tied to them, i feel more inclined to collect them. i'm aware of bonuses for doing really special stuff in the wii version too, but this is more upfront about it. i don't know. i still like the slower-paced exploration game.

Yeah, the Wii version feels like it is straight out of the Dreamcast, or even the Saturn. The game could definitely have benefited from the nunchuck. Still fun though. I'll have to try the WiiU version next.

Top Bottom