• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Raiders Online (Vita) - co-op sci-fi action RPG, now on Kickstarter

Update!

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Raiders/status/793062821097504768

Quick update: Dangerous Alone is now officially a Sony Interactive Entertainment partner!

it means the game has been approved for PS Vita and that Dangerous Alone is now a licensed developer for Sony platforms.

She's also provided an update on the races in the game and has retained a concept artist for the project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-action-rpg-4-player-co-op-for/posts/1723870

(Not anyone I'd heard of, though)

CwGjq0vXgAQAAhf.jpg

Not sure what to think of this: throwing in the towel already?

Rogue Raiders Online ‏@Rogue_Raiders 5 min.
Sadly, the Rogue Raiders KS hasn't gained enough interest, I need to return to the table and rethink the project viability.

https://twitter.com/Rogue_Raiders/status/794221529978511361

Yeah, I saw this. I mean, it's not hard to see that she's not reaching the target at this rate, 19% funded in 10+ days - she's not getting 80% in 20 days.

From what I can tell, her whole point with this was to get enough funding that she can work on it full time and get it out of the door quicker. Any less than she's asking for means it'd have to be a side project and thus won't make it out in a timeframe where Vita is still feasible.

I did quiz her about it a bit in a Twitter message and it sounds like reducing the scope of the game isn't anything she's interested in either.

So now she's proposing Vita/Switch... an interesting compromise I guess!

I don't think gambling on the Switch is a good idea at this point. Not because of any success or not that the new console would have. But there's still so many unknown variables.

She should focus on getting the game made now, and after that she could still port it to whatever platform she would like it on.

I don't think gambling on the Switch is a good idea at this point. Not because of any success or not that the new console would have. But there's still so many unknown variables.

She should focus on getting the game made now, and after that she could still port it to whatever platform she would like it on.

I agree, going for the FoTM console isn't really a smart move either.

She's in a strange place at the moment. The game as it is right now was always an idea to her; but she starting pushing for it now because she wanted to create something for Vita specifically, as a Vita fan.

Except, Vita fans really haven't rallied behind her and I've seen a lot of "I don't back Kickstarters"; "This looks like a scam" etc. comments about her campaign.

So she's left with a choice. She can make the game she wants on Vita, but it'd have to be a hobby project and she's said herself that'd take like 4 years. If she gets funding she can make it a full time thing, but that's clearly not happening through Vita fans.

She's mentioned that Microsoft have shown some interest in her title on Twitter, so maybe she'll just have to make it for another console and ditch the whole reason for working on it (she wants to make a Vita game) entirely just to get it done.

CamHostage

I'm a backer, but I'm not surprised that it won't go through. Seemed a difficult sell, even at that target cost.

And I'd be happy to share with any other platform that need be if that'd help, I know where the heart comes from so I'd still trust my Vita to be treated as a first-class citizen.

(Plus, it'd be good to have an online game on Vita ... what happened to online play on handhelds, BTW, this was the dream of all dreams for me years ago and we got it true with DS and PSP, yet with the new platforms there seems hardly any interest or support.)

Composer announced on the Kickstarter, and menu theme released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6icSxbyIvM

I quite like it. Reminds me a little of Firefly.

As a side note, the campaign really is struggling at the moment and it seems she's thinking of ways to get it funded. Sounds like the most likely is a PC/Vita combo going forward (probably for the next campaign).

CamHostage

...and now off Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-action-rpg-4-player-co-op-for/posts/1740540

Hi fellow Raiders!

Sadly, the Kickstarter didn't reach its goal, so I'm back to square one.

I'm sad, I know that Rogue Raiders would have been a great game in PS Vita, but I have failed in translating my ambition and vision to the Vita community.

So what does this mean?

When I started this adventure, I supposed two scenarios: the happy one, in which the game would have been funded, and the sad one, in which people will angrily yell at me saying that the game was bad :-D

Surprisingly what happened is neither of those. People love the concept of the game, I've been contacted by many fans, some publishers and even Microsoft told me that they like the game and would love to see it come to live.

So I've decided to give Rogue Raiders a chance, and keep working in it as a side project.

That has two mayor problems:

• The development process is going to be longer, meaning that the release date may be too late for the Vita life span.
  • People have manifested the need of trying the game while in development. So I need to work in a PC version that everyone can use.

For that reason, I've decided to switch development to the PC platform. I'm torn because I really wanted to create this game as a Vita game, but I need to be realistic and this Kickstarter is real proof that I can't keep walking that path.

So... the good news? Steam!

Well, Rogue Raiders Online now needs to be rethink as a PC game, so I've created a Steam Concept page, in which gamers can take a look and give input about the game...

The game is and I assume will continue to be on Unity Engine, but unless a miracle occurred, I don't see Cristina or a partner coming back around to a Vita build even if it does finish at a time that the platform is still viable, as the new version will I assume fork too far away from a viable Vita release. It hurts to see it leave Vita, as I liked Virtual Toys' work and was excited to see a devotee of Vita making software specifically for the platform, but I do get it and wish Rogue Raiders the best of luck still.

Top Bottom