• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolando 2: Quest for The Golden Orchid - Discussion Thread

Costanza

Banned
1gonj9.png

App Store Link - $9.99

shores-full-02.png

jungle-full-01.png

jungle-full-04.png

Official Site
Trailer
Ngmoco Plus+ Usernames GAF Thread

---

Just started playing. It's great.

This is so Mine. Was Rocking the Lite version of the first one, but then my friend gave me one of those free download Rolando cards from Best Buy (which is awesome by the way).

Downloading Rolando 2 Now! :D :D

Gowans

God I still need to finish Rolando 1 hopefully by the time I do this will have dropped.

I feel bad about iPhone games I own every system and the iPhone is becoming my second most played device after my 360 but the expectation from so many rapid price drops are cheaper games and to wait a short while for drops.

Rolando 1 is huge and well worth the starting price but they always drop to get up on the top downloads so I just wait .

mrWalrus

Banned
3.0 only is kind of a drag.

I guess they had to find some way to 'entice' people with an iTouch to buy the upgrade.. :lol

Stoney Mason said:
Nope. They changed it. It now plays like Quake 3.

You know what I mean. The trailer shows barely anything, but the screenshots and short clips show some stuff that looks a bit different.

TheGreatDave said:
You know what I mean. The trailer shows barely anything, but the screenshots and short clips show some stuff that looks a bit different.

Almost all previews and reviews point to a more refined version of the first. It doesn't re-invent the wheel established in the prior game.

i totally forgot that this was today! oh snap!

Okay, how the heck do I put this thing onto my iPod? the App store on the ipod is poopoo and doesn't list the game yet, so I went on the App store on the PC and downloaded it. Now I want to transfer it to my ipod, the only way i see of doing this is to "sync" applications, which says will delete all the apps on my ipod.

edit: now I just activated my computer to my itunes account and am transferring over all of the purchases from the ipod to the pc, and then i'll sync them. What a head-ache

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I enjoyed the first game much less than I thought I would, and I don't think I'll be buying second one very soon. Something just didn't click with me, and I think it was because moving around and doing things was somewhat slow and tedious, as opposed to LocoRoco where you could travel around very fluidly and quickly once you got into the rhythm of the game and its controls.

xbhaskarx

lol iPhone game!

I didn't like the first Rolando so I'll hold off on this one for now. If people are still talking about it in a few weeks, I'll check it out. That's my strategy for not falling for iPhone game hype.

This Plus+ thing is quite cool. I have StarDefense but didn't get around to playing it yet as I work through my iphone backlog so I hadn't set up an account.

Having a persistent achievement system and leaderboard system and friends list (even if its only through one lineup of one company's game) is exactly what I was looking for. I miss that from Xbox Live and indeed miss it on the Wii (stupid friend codes) so its nice to get it on my iphone.

dream

Stoney Mason said:
This Plus+ thing is quite cool. I have StarDefense but didn't get around to playing it yet as I work through my iphone backlog so I hadn't set up an account.

Having a persistent achievement system and leaderboard system and friends list (even if its only through one lineup of one company's game) is exactly what I was looking for. I miss that from Xbox Live and indeed miss it on the Wii (stupid friend codes) so its nice to get it on my iphone.

Plus+ is awesome. Unfortunately, OpenFeint is awesome too and I hate having my gaming networks fragmented. :(

dream said:
Plus+ is awesome. Unfortunately, OpenFeint is awesome too and I hate having my gaming networks fragmented. :(

I hear you but no way around it at this stage. Since Apple didn't put in a default mandated system the devs had to and now it will be a competition among competing networks.

dream

Khanage said:
Which publisher created OpenFeint? And what games use it?

The Aurora Feint team did. Off the top of my head, I know Sentinel 2 and Aurora Feint 2 (and all its derivatives) use it.

In some ways, it's a more advanced network than Plus+ -- it supports features like chat rooms and more expansive friends lists. Unlike Plus+ (which I believe is proprietary to ngmoco), the framework is open to any developer who wants to license it.

Costanza

Banned
dream said:
The Aurora Feint team did. Off the top of my head, I know Sentinel 2 and Aurora Feint 2 (and all its derivatives) use it.

In some ways, it's a more advanced network than Plus+ -- it supports features like chat rooms and more expansive friends lists. Unlike Plus+ (which I believe is proprietary to ngmoco), the framework is open to any developer who wants to license it.
I'm almost positive ngmoco said other devs can come on board with plus+ if they want.

mrkgoo

StopMakingSense said:
They said they are working on downporting it to 2.2.1

An people said it would be silly to ignore older hardware. They're ignoring people who didn't upgrade! Yeah, I know it's not the same... why not create a scaleable version that recognises the OS and disables features that can't be done? Yup. More effort than it's worth.

Khanage

dream said:

Thanks! I was wondering how I had missed it... Now I know why. I don't own those games!
It sounds like a great service. I might download one of those games to check it out.

Costanza said:
I'm almost positive ngmoco said other devs can come on board with plus+ if they want.

I remember reading this as well, and I hope it does catch on.

dream

Khanage said:
It sounds like a great service. I might download one of those games to check it out.

That's the problem - both networks are awesome and I'm not sure how a developer can really decide on using one or the other, especially when the iPhone gaming market is still in its infancy.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough. Rolando 2 rocks!

Tobor

dream said:
That's the problem - both networks are awesome and I'm not sure how a developer can really decide on using one or the other, especially when the iPhone gaming market is still in its infancy.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough. Rolando 2 rocks!

I think it's clear at this point that NGmoco knows what they're doing, and is in it for the long haul. Easy choice IMO.

I can't purchase until late tonight, I'm assuming it's bigger than 10MB? :lol

sprsk said:
How do these people not get sued?

The "Our game is better" defense.

I like the change in visuals, but I really haven't played the first one enough since I bought it to justify a purchase of the second.

Spoit

mrWalrus said:
3.0 only is kind of a drag.

I guess they had to find some way to 'entice' people with an iTouch to buy the upgrade.. :lol
Yeah, as much as I liked Rolando 1, $20 is rediculous

edgefusion

So any idea when this is going up on the UK store? Seems weird there's any time difference at all, or are they just trying to prove they're a valid game developer by shunning Europe?

Khanage

edgefusion said:
So any idea when this is going up on the UK store? Seems weird there's any time difference at all, or are they just trying to prove they're a valid game developer by shunning Europe?

It was up on the UK store at the same time.

Itunes Link

edgefusion

Khanage said:
It was up on the UK store at the same time.

Itunes Link
Oh my, thanks for the link. For some reason it's not featured anywhere on iTunes and doesn't show up in any search results either... aaand now that I see it's £6 I think I'll give it a miss.

Top Bottom