• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roleplaying in games - are you yourself or somebody else?

When playing an RPG I'm...

• Total voters

nowhat

This comment in the GoW thread got me thinking:

Dad of War is perfect for me, Artreus actually looks exactly like my nephew too so I'm RPing the hell out of that angle.

As a disclaimer, I love RPGs, especially ones where you can select your own character. And if there's an option to be something else than what I am IRL, I'll take it gladly. Because to me, games are a form of escapism - I don't want to be reminded of my regular life when I'm doing something much more awesome than what my mundane life entails. Which is why I almost gave up on TLoU after the intro - as a father of a young daughter it just hit too hard. But the above comment got me thinking, there may be people that want to be themselves in a virtual setting?

Not dismissing such opinion at all, I'm just curious. Vote away, it'll be interesting to see the results.

Edit: just as a clarification, I don't necessarily mean picking a character of another gender (or species). Just trying to make your character look like you and acting like you would. Relating more to your character because of that pesky real life.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Myself. I prefer games to allow me to customized my characters as much as possible because I like to see myself in these games to give myself some form of incentive to care about the character. Some games have protagonists that are done right, but if the character is so one-sided that cant relate to, that just breaks immersion and makes enjoying the game that much harder. Its also why I prefer silent/near silent protagonists like Link, Trainer Red, Freeman, Doomguy and Master Chief.

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

It mostly varies with the game. When I play the Witcher, I enjoy thinking about what Geralt would do because he's such a great character. Trying to impose myself over that, 100%, sorta does a disservice to what I think the Witcher is even about. So in that case, I do "what Geralt would do".

That said, I actually prefer silent protagonists. From Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, SMT or even Zelda; I find that I connect a lot better with a world when a character is largely designed to be my conduit into it. I know Link shows a bit more personality than usual in BotW, but those people who want him to be a full-blown anime character drive me goddamned nuts. Link has always been designed to "be you", effectively.

sublimit

Banned
It's both really. For example i can never play as an evil person in any game (not just RPGs) so in that regard i try to be as close to my own personality as possible but for example in terms of character creator (if it is available) i always try to make some cool looking character that looks nothing like me.
Also in real life i'm very against violence but for example if i play a game like Kingdom Come Deliverance i think i'll choose to try to become a fighter rather than a diplomat since i consider that as more fun (if i like the combat system that is). But i will always try to fight for good and the moral choices will always be as close to my own personality as possible.

RavageX

This comment in the GoW thread got me thinking:

As a disclaimer, I love RPGs, especially ones where you can select your own character. And if there's an option to be something else than what I am IRL, I'll take it gladly. Because to me, games are a form of escapism - I don't want to be reminded of my regular life when I'm doing something much more awesome than what my mundane life entails. Which is why I almost gave up on TLoU after the intro - as a father of a young daughter it just hit too hard. But the above comment got me thinking, there may be people that want to be themselves in a virtual setting?

Not dismissing such opinion at all, I'm just curious. Vote away, it'll be interesting to see the results.

How it works for me, if I can create a character, I will make the first to look as much like me as possible, and name will either be my real name or a variant of my online name.

My playstyle typically lines up with my morals.

I will also make a character that's completely different, typically the opposite gender.

I like playing as myself in games because I have more freedom usually in games than actual life.....eh that sounds bad.

Life has consequences, you pay for your choices and sometimes that can go well, and others it can cost you that life.

Games....may have consequences, but you can always start over.

Makes sense?

RavageX

To continue, if I am playing as a person who is already defined, I just try to play as I imagine they would. Nothing complicated there.

I virtually always conjure up some fictional avatar and name, most notably when character creators allow me to craft monstrosities of procedural generation (god bless you FromSoft).

The only recollection I have of making myself in a game is Everybody’s Golf.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Nope. I'd say my playstyle I tend towards Chaotic good, whereas real life me........probably more Neutral good if I was being honest (which I may not be ...because you just can't trust a Neutral...).

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Maximum immersion. Even if it ends up looking ugly (omg,my Skyrim character ...). That's why I hate when wrpgs push limited morality on the player instead of granting real choice.

definitely me. im really suspicious of guys playing as women in rpgs..

The reason why I don't play mmorpgs. Until you have to enter your passport ID so you cannot fake your sex, I have no interest in mmo-gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don't care to play as myself because I myself all the time this why I don't care for character creation, in fact I hate them. Instead I like to play as interesting characters that developers has created and like to experience their stories. I guess you could say this my biggest reason why I like Third Person over First Person camera angle.

Last edited:

nowhat

Nope. I'd say my playstyle I tend towards Chaotic good, whereas real life me........probably more Neutral good if I was being honest (which I may not be ...because you just can't trust a Neutral...).
I'm almost with you, although Chaotic Neutral would be my designation. IRL I guess Neutral Good would be an approximation (or true neutral, but there are those damn hippies that are druids in there too).

RavageX

Maximum immersion. Even if it ends up looking ugly (omg,my Skyrim character ...). That's why I hate when wrpgs push limited morality on the player instead of granting real choice.

The reason why I don't play mmorpgs. Until you have to enter your passport ID so you cannot fake your sex, I have no interest in mmo-gaming.

When i did play mmos and id play as opposite gender, Id make it quite clear I'm not an actual woman, lol.

I understand being wary of someone who is actually a guy, but goes through effort to convince ppl online otherwise.

RavageX

I don't know if I've ever played a full blown evil character. I don't think I have it in me to finish a game that way.

I remember the first time I tried, it was in KOTOR and I laughed at doing a pure evil choice cause it was so far from anything I would do, I had to start over from an old save.

nowhat

I don't know if I've ever played a full blown evil character. I don't think I have it in me to finish a game that way.
This I agree with too. Although my character in RPGs tends more to the Chaotic Neutral side as stated above, I never really play an evil character, even if the option existed. I've tried, but it just doesn't feel right.

So I guess at some point I am limited by myself even in my virtual representations. Before that point though, I like to experiment.

Shotpun

The character I play is always on some level "me", so it's always a guy if there is a choice and I always pick the choices I would pick in real life. My current mood can affect what I choose to do but that's it, I can't do that "real" roleplay stuff where you pretend to be someone completely else.

So I'm stuck at looking at my "own" ass, no nice girly buttocks for me.

Isa

I always play the opposite gender if possible, and my friends even rp my character's as futa's haha. I'm content irl, and frankly the thought of having to be myself bores me. I like to see things from another angle, and help another gender or race get some spotlight. Also, since we were children, my sister would play the male characters and I the female. Partially for the T&A (yes some girls enjoy it too) and partially for something different. Plus I'd go mad staring at some dude's ass for 20+ hrs.

bati

I don't play as me, but I tend to always go for the same personality, which is strongly biased towards good/ideal type of character. On occasion I'll break away from that, but it usually only happens in games that have above average writing and/or gritty setting with really nasty characters. In those cases I'll either switch to a Jack Bauer type of character or sometimes even go pragmatic evil.

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
The cool thing about RPGs where you can create a character is that it gives you an opportunity to experiment and have fun. I find that I will do just that. Sometimes some of me might be in there, sometimes not. Sometimes I will purposely create a character with a persona that I never would usually try just to do it.

As far as looking like me though, I don't bother. I see me all the time. Looking different and creating a new unique character is always a blast. Not going to waste it creating another me.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
No. I just make a character that is aesthetically pleasing to me. The farthest that I'll go is opting for grey hair when possible to reflect my age. Other than that, I go with whatever catches my eye.

-MD-

I don't RP as my character at all, I just pick a character that looks nice.

I like smaller less bulky characters so I usually choose female when given the option, clothes/armor usually look better.

emm_vee

Neo Member
Given the option, I'll choose the female character 90% of the time.

I started out trying to replicate myself in video games, but the character options were/are always limited.
I am neither incredibly muscular, incredibly thin, or amorphously obese.
It's far more satisfying to create an attractive woman and watch her act like a bad-ass.

nowhat

It's far more satisfying to create an attractive woman and watch her act like a bad-ass.
As a male, and when it comes to third-person RPGs, I'd rephrase that as "it's far more satisfying to create an attractive woman and watch her ass".

My theory is simple. If I'm gonna be staring at a character for 40-80 hours in a RPG, I'd much rather be staring at a good looking woman than some buff, straight ripped dude.

Although, personally I much prefer RPGs where I'm playing the story of an actual character as opposed to a created character's "make your own story". Hence my love for the Persona and Tales series.

Last edited:
I am right between those option I don’t think that the character in the game is me but more like what or how would I do or Handle this.I would have voted for both of the options if I could.

Ka-Kui

When there's a create a character option I try to make it look myself, and if there're story based decision makibg I try to make a choice that I feel is morally the best.

However if I had a choice between whether I enjoy playing as a silent protagonist where I'm supposed to project myself onto vs a fully defined character, I'd always pick choosing to play as a defined character who's making his own decisions.

dragos495

If there is a character creator I always try to create my girlfriend. That way I can have a reason to ask her to watch me play that game, which is always more fun than playing by myself. I did that in bloodborne, dark souls, destiny, fallout 4, ufc 1,2,3 etc.

:)

Shifty

Depends on the game. Sometimes I'll make decisions based on the protagonist if they're well characterized. For instance, Garrett from Thief is not an assassin therefore take everything that's not nailed down but do not kill.

If it's a character creator kind of deal on the other hand, I'll RP it to a degree. Original personality do not steal.

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

I forgot to mention I liked the way Persona 5 handled its main protagonist. It's my first and only Persona I've played, so I dunno how the previous games handled it, but somehow the developers manage to give him a defined personality while the dialogue options and the resulting reactions made sense within the scope of his personality.

It was a very fine balance of and I feel Atlus did a great job maintaining that balance.

TheMikado

Banned
I always play as either a dark elf or high elf when available. I also play as a beast man as secondary, then lastly I generally play as the most physically imposing character I can create. The first two character types are generally reflective of myself and I play either dual wield or archer and the naming is a play of my actual name. The last type is pure fantasy and I use the largest or most intimidating or fun weapon type to play and the name is generally something like Ragnarok Omega or something of that nature. Generally speaking the first two types are for story mode type games where I primarily focus on playing through the main story. The third type is for extended play.

Depends on the type of avatar/character I'm playing:

- If it's a customizable character with full dialogue, I don't consider it my avatar because I wouldn't act like them, e.g. Robin from Fire Emblem Awakening.
- If it's a character with a distinct design that is not customizable, but mostly mute, I don't consider that an avatar but a character, e.g. Link from Legend of Zelda or Joker from Persona 5. They feel like actual characters but with a bit of freedom for the player to imagine what they're saying.
- If it's a customizable and mute character, then I can roleplay as myself a bit more, e.g. recent Pokemon games.

KevinKeene

Banned
You consider Pokemon to have a customizable avatar? I mean, unless you're a thin school boy/girl, there's not much immersion left. :eek:

You can change your appearance, and obviously they'll look a little younger than me, but in XY they're chibi so it doesn't really mattter, and in SM they're not too young-looking. At least, I can still identify with the look.

Neolombax

Not so much appearance wise, as I try to make my characters look as attractive as possible. But most definitely in their thought process or their decisions. My form of escapism from reality is limited to how I am able to hurl fireballs and such.

Thinking back, the only games that I played as an evil asshole were the Infamous games. And I'm pretty sure those were because they had trophies associated with them...also electric rocket launchers. Who could pass up on those? C'mon now...

Last edited:
Mmmmm sort of... As 'Kyan,' I suppose. I have a pretty set archtype I'ved used in most RPGs since Diablo 1 and Asheron's Call. It's usually only for create-a-character games though...

I dislike breaking 'canon' in story games, and I'll make a pretty hard effort to try beat RPGs with a canon approach, a 'canon' alignment (e.g. Geralt) or the most logical alignment (which would make sense the most for Shepherd given what 'static' elements we know about him or her).

Even in GR Wildlands I made a 'canon Nomad' lol... in GTA V I did what I consider a perfect 'no death canon playthrough' lol where I planned out the mission order, suitable vehicles and clothes for each character, which crimes they would logically actually commit, etc. I put a lot of effort into planning canon playthroughs of a few recent RPGs (Witcher 3 and Deus Ex MD) where I only did the side-quests that I felt actually made sense given the urgency of the main story.

I like 'crafting' perfect canon playthroughs I guess kinda take a bit of pride in a well-planned one and look at the save file as a sort of 'trophy.' I actually have 0 interests in actual Trophies.. usually for me the biggest accomplishment in a game for me is just a well good 'complete story' game file. But 'complete' for me is usually story choices or story-related accomplishments.

So, for the poll but also the original post it really depends on the game... in a sandbox RPG, sure, as Kyan... but in GOW, let alone Witcher 3, then no I usually really try play as the character.

Last edited:

eso76

Looks or gender can be whatever.
Well, if there's an editor I'll try to make them attractive but not necessarily looking like myself.
Usually I will play as humanoids when possible, not lizard men or cat people or ogres etc. but that might simply be because i am thinking of TES and those are generally ugly as sin.

Thought process and general behaviour though, it's me. I can't roleplay and do what the character would do if that means being an asshole.
Ludonarrative dissonance reached hilarious extents playing as Trevor in GTAV and being a very decent guy between cutscenes.

ruvikx

Banned
definitely me. im really suspicious of guys playing as women in rpgs..

Perhaps because staring at a woman's backside in a third person rpg is more entertaining? Skyrim (albeit first person) is a case-in-point i.e. loads of guys choose a woman & make her as hot as possible, for obvious reasons. As for playing myself in an rpg, absolutely not. Why? Because I have yet to play an RPG which gives me the full spectrum of choices & behaviors I would personally make in such a scenario. It's always a pre ordained choice A/B/C/D or E as envisaged by the writers & never really representative of my own thoughts on the matter.

KevinKeene

Banned
Perhaps because staring at a woman's backside in a third person rpg is more entertaining?

What astounds me is that this silly reason is often cited by sjw-leaning people, too. Like, it's really sexist, lol. Personally, I don't choose my character based on what gets my dick hard, but that's just me.

ruvikx

Banned
What astounds me is that this silly reason is often cited by sjw-leaning people, too. Like, it's really sexist, lol. Personally, I don't choose my character based on what gets my dick hard, but that's just me.

I'll use the Mass Effect trilogy as another example here, i.e. custom Shepards are a total fail in the male category because the face creator is broken & ugly as hell (in all 3 games)... whilst the female face creator is a lot better. So that's an rpg in which a personalized character is automatically impossible as a result of the engine's innate deficiencies. Also, Shepard is a total grunt who either shouts/yells (renegade) or acts preachy (paragon) in all 3 titles. So what do I do? Bah, I created a female renegade & played infiltrator - whilst wiping out the Quarians & blowing everything up based upon what the narrative permitted.

But that's the crux here (& extends to every other rpg): we're limited by what the game can reproduce in terms of graphics & what the writers have given us in terms of choices/options, i.e. I would need something closer to a Gaius Baltar-esque type character before I could technically role play any video game as myself. I just don't see it often, if at all.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I play a sexy killer lady. I’m 270 pound dude that benches 455. Well right now, that’s what I’m doing lol. Most of the time I’m just playing as some dude bro that kinda looks like me.

Just depends on how strong/well defined the character is. Often there is room to transplant yourself into the role, yet sometimes the character steers the ship.

I will say that I am particularly fond of silent protagonists, so that either says something about my preferences or maybe just the general quality of writing for the vast majority of gaming characters.

Top Bottom