• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROLLERDROME | Review Thread

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Metacritic Reviews:

95 - God is a Geek
Rollerdrome is a phenomenal shooter that blends great combat and movement with a wonderful sense of progression, with stunning visuals and plenty of replayability.

91 - Player 2
Tony Hawk meets Max Payne in this glorious sci/fi sports title that is sure to get its hooks into you and never let go. Wholly unique and utterly engaging, Rollerdome is a blast.

90 - Forbes
If you’re looking for something a bit different to play this summer and have a Tony Hawk-sized action sports itch you need to scratch, Rollerdrome is absolutely worth checking out.

90 - The Independent
From its action to its slick presentation, everything about Rollerdrome screams “effortlessly cool” from the moment it ramps off. Its breakneck pacing and unabating stages make each victory feel well earned, and revisiting each feels like a mastery that verges on transcendental.

85 - PlayStation Universe
Rollerdrome is an incredible arcade shooter that combines fluid movement with addicting mechanical loops which encourage you to pull off visually appealing stunts with ease. Though your mileage may vary be you a high-score chaser or not, it never fails to be fun, and Rollerdrome is more than worth a look for any arcade shooter lover.

85 - Game Informer
Rollerdrome immediately clicked with me, and I ate it all up. As polished and fun as the experience is, it feels like Roll7 is just dipping its toes into the water. I hope this talented studio gets the chance to make a sequel to further flesh out this unique concept with more detail in the story and greater player progression. Regardless, Rollerdrome is a fantastic first foot forward. I adored the campaign gameplay and have a feeling my friend group will use this unique title for late-night scoring competitions.

85 - Dexerto
Despite its lack of cooperative or PVP gameplay, I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that this is an essential game for 2022. Blending two opposing styles into an expertly executed bullet ballet, Rollerdrome's future is anything but dystopian.

80 - Push Square
If there's an award for game feel, Rollerdrome wins it by a country mile. Roll7 has crafted a short but supremely sweet experience that feels incredible to engage with. No matter whether you're performing tricks or blasting enemies, its addictive loop will have you coming back for more. Complemented by a phenomenal, colourful art style and a real sense of speed, flow, and motion, Rollerdrome rivals the very best Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games.

80 - The Loadout
Rollerdrome has one of the most intoxicating and satisfying gameplay loops in recent memory, and while the game suffers from some janky moments and underwhelming bosses, there’s no ignoring how good it feels to shoot, flip, and grind through each level. We just wish there was more.

75 - Checkpoint Gaming
Rollerdrome is an unbelievably fun single-player experience that hasn’t quite reached its full potential. The explosive gunplay and roller-skating trickery are complemented by the picturesque yet bleak world all realised in a graphic novel art style. However, improvements can be made with some of the enemy types, bosses, and the inclusion of other competitors. Despite room for growth, this game is clearly being made by one hell of a talented team and Rollerdrome proves to be one hell of a shooter.

60 - Wccftech
Rollerdrome produces some badass moments with its combination of X Games action and bullet-time violence, but it doesn’t replicate what made the OlliOlli games such Zenlike fun. Those looking for a challenge will find it here, but given Rollerdrome’s bland presentation, imperfect controls, and grueling approach to level design, many players will quickly skate on to something else.

Overall: 84

OpenCritic:
LqXLsGr.png

Certinty

Wow. I had doubts but I guess I was wrong. I should have trusted these guys given how amazing the Olli Olli games are.

Kuranghi

Acccording to others the performance/optimisation is stellar too, running smoothly at 4K@100 average fps on a 3080 and using only 40% of it! Thats great news for my old 1080 because I wanted locked 60fps at 4K if possible or would play on PS5.

I'll update whether the performance is truly that smooth, regardless of how optimised it is when I get it later on.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Acccording to others the performance/optimisation is stellar too, running smoothly at 4K@100 average fps on a 3080 and using only 40% of it! Thats great news for my old 1080 because I wanted locked 60fps at 4K if possible or would play on PS5.

I'll update whether the performance is truly that smooth, regardless of how optimised it is when I get it later on.
It's 4K@120 on PS5.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Really want to buy this but bloody hell, I am subbed to PS plus premium until the end of 2024 and my backlog is already madness. Can’t justify any purchases until after Christmas although SO tempted by that discount as well!!!

Its fun as hell but i got way too many other games im deep into. Cult of the lamb and Xenoblade already got my ADHD cornered lol. Ima finish those two then this and saints row will be my next two games

Neolombax

It doesn't look interesting for me, but its gotten pretty good reviews so far, so now I'm intrigued. Its on game trial for PS plus deluxe, so I'm gonna give it a go once I get back from work (funny how it isnt on the actual game trial section of PSN, but when you search for the game, its states that there's a 1 hr trial for it)

8BiTw0LF

Banned
By far my favorite game soundtrack of the year. The modular synths and late 70's vibes, combined with dystopian future sounds ala Blade Runner.
It sounds like if Giorgio Moroder and Vangelis had a baby. Electric Dragon really knows how to operate with true hardware synths - not that cheap shit 90% of all synthwave artists use (PC's).

I lied earlier I spent my whole evening playin this joint. I made it to the finals/last few levels of the campaign but im going to take a break and finish it sometime this week..I got all the challenges but the ones saying "Score 15x combo" and the one where im supposed to beat it all in one combo lol

It has the diff challenges per level like Tony Hawk, cool stylish combat, and its almost like a puzzle game in a way too once you understand movement/reloading through movement/navigating the level.

I can't wait to see some high level play by real pros cause I bet their runs are going to look crazy.

Enjoying it.

These reviews are a touch over the top. It’s not that good. Basically, imagine doing a jump in THPS - now press left trigger to go into bullet time and automatically shoot baddies.

That’s it.

Fun though.
Yep, that's literally all I expected. Some of the hyperbole is off the charts.

For someone who loves Neon White, does this play in the same ballpark?
I'm probably one of 3 people that have played Neon White on this website. 9.5/10 game, phenomenal. No real relation to Rollerdrome though and not sure why the comparison.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Enjoying it.

These reviews are a touch over the top. It’s not that good. Basically, imagine doing a jump in THPS - now press left trigger to go into bullet time and automatically shoot baddies.

That’s it.

Fun though.
Yep, sounds like a lot of fun. I loved all the oli oli games as well so I know I’ll love this.

Hope this developer continues to put out interesting titles.

Jennings

Ah man, I had tuned this game out ever since hearing about it because I'd confused it for Roller Champions.

Then three minutes ago I realized my mistake and got excited for it because I love fast action arcade shooters like DOOM.

Then two minutes ago I found out it wasn't in Xbox so I can't play it.

Then one minute ago I started this post.

And now I'm just gonna go read the locked sexual kink thread in off-topic and see what I missed there too.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I'm probably one of 3 people that have played Neon White on this website. 9.5/10 game, phenomenal. No real relation to Rollerdrome though and not sure why the comparison.
Neon White got this fast-paced accurate gameplay to it, and I thought maybe Rollerdome had something similar.

Update after playing more.

I regret buying the game. Its just very casual to the point that the depth isn't there for me. You really can't ever mess up skating and it doesn't feel particularly great either. Shooting doesn't feel great. Hold L2 and if you move the stick within 30 yards of an enemy it locks on, all while you can never fail any tricks. The end result is "fun" but very shallow.

I dont think its worth $20. Its not a bad game but it feels underwhelming. The presentation and idea is fun enough but the gsmeplay is just lacking. I'd wait unless you're just dying to play it. Cant believe that Shill Up got me this time.

PSYGN

Man, every game I feel would be perfect for the Switch isn't released for it. Riders Republic was my last one that I thought would have one. "It Takes Two" being the one before that, but I think I'm missing some others.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Update after playing more.

I regret buying the game. Its just very casual to the point that the depth isn't there for me. You really can't ever mess up skating and it doesn't feel particularly great either. Shooting doesn't feel great. Hold L2 and if you move the stick within 30 yards of an enemy it locks on, all while you can never fail any tricks. The end result is "fun" but very shallow.

I dont think its worth $20. Its not a bad game but it feels underwhelming. The presentation and idea is fun enough but the gsmeplay is just lacking. I'd wait unless you're just dying to play it. Cant believe that Shill Up got me this time.
See, this is constructive and helpful to people on here rather than genericusers drive by dump.

I watched skillups review and he mentioned it was auto-aim etc. I think the points you make are fair. I’ll pick this up for sure but just have too much on right now.

Top Bottom