• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone releases the 500 Best Songs of All Time (updated list)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Real list:

#1 The Count of Tuscany

#2-#500
who cares family guy GIF

My #1 is forever Louis

Outkast deserves to be up there but definitely not for Hey Ya.

I'd say B.O.B. or Rosa Parks. Both also way more fitting for the current political climate.

That selection alone makes me think these folks didn't actually listen to the artists' catalogues.

These were my picks too, even without consideration of the political climate. B.O.B is such a jam. I just always hated how it got hijacked for the Iraq war though. I remember walking into Walmart, and their TVs dropping down in front of the aisles had CNN on with BOB playing, and I found that awful.

Not to be dismissive but who the fuck cares what rolling stone thinks about music anymore
This is correct.

Way back in in its prime, Rolling Stone was actually a music magazine. And they had awesome covers, too. Now they're just a political rag that happens to have some [very poor] musical content.

MGHA

There is no competition in music. It is what it is. Listen to it, or don't. Comparing one song to another bares resemblance to blasphemy.

UncleMeat

Fuck Public Enemy. They really unfairly did a lot of damage to Elvis' reputation. A lot of people think Elvis was racist because they just assume Public Enemy did their research. Even Mary J. Blige said Elvis was a racist.

I can understand being bitter that Elvis was dubbed the "King of Rock n Roll" but that wasn't Elvis' fault. He never referred to himself as "The King" and when it was brought up he would refer to his friend Fats Domino.

Great article about it in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/opinion/11guralnick.html

okay maybe he brought it up once:

Last edited:
Fuck Public Enemy. They really unfairly did a lot of damage to Elvis' reputation. A lot of people think Elvis was racist because they just assume Public Enemy did their research. Even Mary J. Blige said Elvis was a racist.

I can understand being bitter that Elvis was dubbed the "King of Rock n Roll" but that wasn't Elvis' fault. He never referred to himself as "The King" and when it was brought up he would refer to his friend Fats Domino.

Great article about it in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/opinion/11guralnick.html

okay maybe he brought it up once:

I always found it funny that one album later they'd be criticizing the media for the way they reported about Flavor Flav hitting his girlfriend, and not "getting the story straight." Hypocrites who recklessly spread an urban legend, but don't say bad things about them before doing research.

I'd also say Fight The Power is far from being one of their best songs. They made some great music, though, and I still think they're one of the best rap groups ever.

Hey Ya! deserves to be up there but Get Ur Freak On? C'mon man!
It's not there because it's a good song. It's there because it was probably their biggest song, and because it had a "dance" you could do that made it even more memorable.

Outkast are amazing, and that's a very good song, but it's not their best either.

This is what it would look like if IGN had a music list. They had to put all the new age trash in there to appeal to the current market. It's pretty bad that they put a legendary masterpiece behind some garbage. Bohemian Rhapsody behind Crazy In Love? Stairway To Heaven is way too high. Get Ur Freak On is in no way the 8th best song of all time.

Total waste. 0/10 wouldn't recommend.

Nah, it would be Watch Mojo, the king of abominable lists

Stop saying Rolling Stone selected this list. Yes, their staff also voted but they were like 5% of the total voters. They alone didn’t put Missy Elliott in the top 10.

Top Bottom