• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 20 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching Predestination (loved it btw) which lead me to reviews of the film on Rotten Tomatoes which lead me to the Rolling Stone's review which lead me the side bar link to this list. The list was made just before the release of Godzilla in 2014 so it doesn't include a few major films like Interstellar or
F4ntastic Four and Jupiter Ascending
. I think it's an interesting list with some odd and interesting choices especially considering I like all movies listed. Anyways I thought it would make for a fruitful discussion on GAF.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!!!

The list was made just before the release of Godzilla in 2014 so it doesn't include a few major films like Interstellar or
F4ntastic Four and Jupiter Ascending

Link to full article here.

20. Sunshine (2007)
Danny Boyle's sci-fi opus is a throwback to the genre's cerebral era, when interstellar journeys doubled as metaphysical head trips (see Solaris, 2001, etc.).

19. Donnie Darko (2001)
...its skewed look at suburban America and scarred psyches do make it an intriguing and eerily prescient work, one that had the misfortune of coming out right after 9/11 yet somehow anticipated the PTSD mindset of that moment's aftermath.

18. Monsters (2010)
The idea of offering only glimpses of the creatures and focusing more on the aftermath may have been the result of budgetary concerns, but necessity is certainly the mother of invention here; it's a clever way of making a familiar sci-fi scenario seem fresh again.

17. Reign Of Fire (2002)
If this movie was made today, with exactly the same leading men and exactly the same premise, it would be a summer-season tent-pole. It might not be better though.

16. Attack The Block (2011)
The fact that it flips the script and makes the so-called underclass the heroes was reason enough to embrace this scrappy take on Eighties blockbusters, but it also brings its action and alien-scares A-game as well.

15. Cloverfield (2008)
...its cast perfectly captures the terror of New Yorkers seeing landmarks — the Time Warner Center and the archways in Central Park collapsing, the Statue of Liberty being beheaded — a few years after 9/11. Most chilling is the film's final line, heard in a pre-destruction flashback: "I had a good day."

14. Primer (2004)
From its tech-heavy dialogue to the loop-the-loop storyline (so complex it requires a chart to comprehend), Primer is the rare film that makes no attempt to pander to its audience. Sure, it's confusing, but that's partially the point.

13. Minority Report (2002)
The more times you watch this story of a future cop dedicated to stopping murders before they've occurred, the more you marvel at how it seems to anticipate the NSA/drone-strike zeitgeist of the here and now.

12. Moon (2009)
Duncan Jones' debut feature keeps you wondering whether its hero —played by an on-point Sam Rockwell — is losing a battle with what appears to be his "double" or if he, is, in fact, losing his mind.

11. The World's End (2013)
A genius riff on growing up, growing apart and Invasion of the Body Snatchers-type sci-fi/horror movies, writer-director Edgar Wright's juggles a host of genre elements with an impressive agility...

10. The Host (2006)
It's equal parts politically sharp, brutally hilarious, incredibly suspenseful — and totally icky.

9. Her (2013)
Spike Jonze's post-postmodern love story reeks of all the hallmarks of every other sappy love story – infatuation, inadequacy, infidelity – and that's what makes it so engaging.

8. Looper (2012)
Johnson's Möbius Strip of a movie is endlessly fascinating — it doesn't simply reward repeat viewings so much as demand them — and proof that it's still possible to do intelligent science fiction within the sausage skin of a star vehicle.

7. Serenity (2005)
...here's a good old-fashioned romp brimming with spaceship chase scenes, laser gunfights and not one but several Han Solo-type ruffians.

6. District 9 (2009)
As a genre-based action movie, however, the movie works its gritty, you-are-there feel to great effect, especially once Sharlto Copley's bureaucratic lackey starts to experience a few, shall we say, physical changes of his own.

5. Gravity (2013)
...the movie's real star is its villain: the absolute, all-encompassing nothingness of space. Thanks to dizzying CGI and Bullock's 90-minute panic attack, Gravity is horror as much as sci-fi...

4. Wall-E (2008)
...the real world of Wall-E is 20th century American film. Our bumbling hero putters around a scorched Earth silently but expressively as Charlie Chaplin's little tramp; his attempts to romance an iPod-like female counterpart resembles a romance like a robot version of Woody Allen's Alvy Singer; vistas recall Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and the cynical political humor recalls his Dr. Strangelove.

3. Under The Skin (2013)
Lots of movies have tried to channel that old Seventies sci-fi feeling, but Glazer's visually sumptuous, genuinely unnerving movie is one of the few that feels as if it actually came from that fertile era of space oddities.

2. Inception (2010)
Nolan's script is a multi-layered latticework of timelines and realities, dead-ends and false ledges, one that ultimately provides few answers, but asks plenty of questions.

1. Children Of Men (2006)
Emotionally resonant, daringly prophetic and disturbingly plausible, Children of Men is modern sci-fi storytelling at its apex.

dork

Banned
Redo the list and put interstellar as the first 5

And I loved children of men

Edit. I said redo the list before someone says I didn't read

Dice//

Banned
A list i barely questioned. Not bad at all I think.

Well, except "World's End". For how much I loved Shawn and Hot Fuzz, this one did nothing for me. #1 was a great pick, and a bold choice amongst the other contenders --- but worthy.

Hmm, no love for Interstellar. By no means was it a groundbreaking film but I loved Star Trek Into Darkness. There's a couple big ones on there I haven't seen like Under the Skin, Reign of Fire, The Host, Sunshine, or Her.

That's a pretty solid list. I haven't seen them all, though, as I still need to see Primer, Reign of Fire, Attack the Block, Under The Skin and Monsters, but I enjoyed the ones I did see.

Donnie Darko has always been a personal favourite, too, so I'm glad it's on the list.

I remember my friend and I first heard about it while reading Rue Morgue (or something like it). Someone had listed it in a feature about movies your parents would question your sanity over.

Zukuu

Banned
Children of Men is so overrated. Mediocre film at best. Almost on the same level as Bablyon A.D... only less bad.

District 9 is the best by a landslide. I don't think I would call Wall-E, Her etc Sc-Fi in a more common sense.

I like the Indiewire list way more.

And yeah, Eternal Sunshine is absolutely a sci-fi film, and should have been on the Rolling Stone list.

Reading the IW list now. I wish I had seen that sooner. It's like buying something and finding it cheaper and better quality a few minutes later at another store.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
how on earth does this list not include rogue one or star wars episode 8 or guardians of the galaxy 2?? emabrassing to see the biast against disney

Avatar is trash, good to see it not on the list.

Yeah, Avatar was only noteworthy because of its 3D. The movie itself was decent at best, and wasn't original.

I saw it once in theatres, and have had zero interest in watching it again, nor do I really care about sequels. I enjoyed it for what it was, but meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom