• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 20 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Stretching real hard to not include Avatar. It's better than half of the movies on that list.

Also no AI. Unforgivable, it should be number 1.

Fucking awful, though unsurprising from Rolling Stone.

jtb

Banned
there's been some good ones since that list's creation. Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Ex Machina...some liked Snowpiercer.

IDK how they got around including Her but not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that's just as sci-fi and its a great film.

ThePlaylist did a more recent list. CoM was #1 there, too.

Great point, Eternal Sunshine is easily the best science fiction movie of the past fifteen years in my book.

Dead

well not really...yet
It'd probably be the least creative movie if you put it on that list. No problem with it being left off.
empirically false, but keep on fucking that chicken.

Edit: List is also missing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

shem935

Banned
empirically false, but keep on fucking that chicken.

Edit: List is also missing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Where is this empirical evidence that Avatar isn't derivative lazy garbage? All of this is subjective right?

Edit: I will agree about Eternal Sunshine though. Might even put it over CoM because I liked the book more than the movie.

genjiZERO

Stretching real hard to not include Avatar. It's better than half of the movies on that list.

Also no AI. Unforgivable, it should be number 1.

Fucking awful, though unsurprising from Rolling Stone.

At first I was like Avatar? But you mean the other Avatar...

Oersted

Reign on Fire for no good reason, Worlds End over Moon, no AI, just one token non-english representation with The Host...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lol Gravity. Fantastic showcase of special effects and cinematography, garbage story telling and characters. At least they got the first one correct.

Joeku

Reign on Fire for no good reason, Worlds End over Moon, no AI, just one token non-english representation with The Host...
Genuine question: can you suggest any you'd like to see on the list? I'd love good foreign sci-fi.

And I'm way up on this list. Children of Men is the best movie of the 00's. I'd lose a third of that list to give Cloud Atlas a spot, though.

Genuine question: can you suggest any you'd like to see on the list? I'd love good foreign sci-fi.

And I'm way up on this list. Children of Men is the best movie of the 00's. I'd lose a third of that list to give Cloud Atlas a spot, though.

Snowpiercer and 2046 come to mind. Also Alive by Ryuhei Kitamura.

Aselith

Timecrimes

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I would definitely drop Donnie Darko, Monsters, Cloverfield, Reign of Fire and The World's End. I'd drop Moon as well.

Ignoring what came out since the list was made, I would easily add:

AI
The Fountain
Paprika
The Prestige
Solaris
Splice

marrec

Banned

One of a few glaring exclusions. Cloud Atlas needs to be on this list.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
10. The Host (2006)

What. I thought this was a bad movie, to the point where Saoirse Ronan's acting career got limited to smaller movies (except The Grand Budapest Hotel). I'm pretty sure this is not better than Moon.

Dan

Cloud Atlas is another good one, I'd want to slip that in. I think Never Let Me Go is another very strong contender.

Not a bad list. Thought CoM was a decent (and much darker) take on the excellent novel.

Happy to see Under the Skin get a mention.

Happy to see that AotC and RotS are completely ignored.

Timeaisis

Well at least #1 is right. The rest I almost threw up in my mouth a little.

Monsters is so meh. And apparently District 9 is better than Moon lol ok.

Please, clarify. Not being a pedant; just curious.

You're not being pedantic at all. I didn't exactly explain myself very well, heh.

It's an overlong visual essay on the power of cheap production design. As any sort of narrative, or even character study, it's vacuous, emotionless, aimless trash.

Edwards' follow-up speaks to that - all the bad things about Godzilla exist in Monsters. In fact, all the bad aspects of Godzilla are all that Monsters is.

I reviewed it when it originally came out, and described it as something like "a dvd bonus feature, a behind-the-scenes tour of the set of some other, much more interesting film, hosted by a pair of mouthbreathers."

His inability to direct actors is my single biggest worry regarding Rogue One. I'm basically hoping the cast he's assembled is so strong that he won't actually HAVE to direct them. Sorta like Lucas on the original Star Wars.

Oersted

Paprika, Battle Royale, 2046, The Clone Returns Home and Timecrimes are on top of my head and they are all darn good.

Korey

What's the definition of sci-fi?

Like how is Gravity sci-fi?

Isn't it just an astronaut in a modern day setting getting into a rough situation?

Dan

True, Gravity really isn't science fiction, so much as implausible fiction using basically modern tech.

Monsters is one of the most fraudulent fucking movies I've ever seen, and I'm mystified that people continue to be snowed by it.
It's very much just a demo reel for Gareth Edwards. Simple proof that he can string together a movie that involves special effects, but the movie itself really isn't noteworthy at all.

jett

D-Member
Well I kinda differ with both of the lists posted. I find Upstream Color and Under the Skin to border on unwatchable. Those positions would be better filled by A.I or The Fountain, and I'm gonna have to say not including Avatar over straight garbage like Reign of Fire is really fucking suspect. I guess it doesn't count cuz it made a bunch of money, let's put "babies taste best!" in the top ten instead.

Jonm1010

Banned
Got number 1 right... Or at least insofar as the movies on that list I have seen or others that I am aware of.

Though Ex Machina would definitely have a spot up there if this had been made this year. Great film that should continue to be better appreciated in time as people begin to see the depth the film has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom