• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 20 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop89

Disappointing not to see Chronicles of Riddick / Riddick, cabin in the woods & matrix reloaded in the list, but each to their own.

Personally i dont understand how looper can make any list, didnt see what was so special about that movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well I kinda differ with both of the lists posted. I find Upstream Color and Under the Skin to border on unwatchable. Those positions would be better filled by A.I or The Fountain, and I'm gonna have to say not including Avatar over straight garbage like Reign of Fire is really fucking suspect. I guess it doesn't count cuz it made a bunch of money, let's put "babies taste best!" in the top ten instead.
It's extremely suspect

Regardless, top 3 Sci-Fi of the century

1. AI
2. Eternal Sunshine
3. The Fountain

None of which are on this list

lmao

The Fountain is good? It seemed kind of weird, which turned me off a bit.

A.I. I didn't like, but yeah, Eternal Sunshine should be there. It's fantastic.

IISANDERII

No Oblivion?

giphy.gif

Oh right this is Rolling Stone. I think put the Boston Bomber on the cover.

Love Oblivion, i put it in my top 10 scifi of all time.

Joeku

Man, this question of good sci-fi movies comes up on GAF once in awhile and I'd love to see the same for TV. Anthology TV is mostly dead since serialization has become the big trend and I'd love to know what everyone thinks are the best episodes of sci-fi series since 2000.

It's a pinch of Lost, a dash of Fringe, and about half of Futurama and Space Dandy. Feel free to correct me (also I haven't seen any of Black Mirror yet).

there's been some good ones since that list's creation. Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Ex Machina...some liked Snowpiercer.

IDK how they got around including Her but not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, that's just as sci-fi and its a great film.

ThePlaylist did a more recent list. CoM was #1 there, too.

That's a mighty fine list. Top 5 is really great. Awesome to see some non-traditional picks, and to see Upstream Color get some love.

impact

Banned
I didn't much care for Looper. Predestination was way better

lol Predestination is so stupid. Try explaining the plot to someone who has never seen it and listen to how ridiculous you sound.

Timecrimes is way better than most of the list IMO, same with Coherence. Sunshine should honestly be disqualified for the abysmal last third.

Man, this question of good sci-fi movies comes up on GAF once in awhile and I'd love to see the same for TV. Anthology TV is mostly dead since serialization has become the big trend and I'd love to know what everyone thinks are the best episodes of sci-fi series since 2000.

It's a pinch of Lost, a dash of Fringe, and about half of Futurama and Space Dandy. Feel free to correct me (also I haven't seen any of Black Mirror yet).

Yeah, you should definitely check out Black Mirror ASAP.

Battlestar Galactica as well, if you haven't.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
lol Predestination is so stupid. Try explaining the plot to someone who has never seen it and listen to how ridiculous you sound.

Timecrimes is way better than most of the list IMO, same with Coherence. Sunshine should honestly be disqualified for the abysmal last third.

I'm with you. As nonsensical and bizarre as the twist is, the movie basically tells you what's going to happen right off the bat. Totally meh.

Coherence was the most fun I've had watching a sci-fi movie in ages. Just the right amount of trippy to not be overbearing or confusing.

Monsters is one of the most fraudulent fucking movies I've ever seen, and I'm mystified that people continue to be snowed by it.

What do you mean by "fraudulent"?

I haven't seen the movie, I just don't really get this particular criticism.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad Attack the Block is on that list, one of my favorite moments in cinema in the last few years is the realization that this group o lovable assholes are going to be the protagonists.

Surprised how much people like horseshit like Looper.

Nozem

Good list, I like all those films, except Reign of Fire.

Sunshine is my favorite sci-fi movie by far, but I can understand the general dislike for the last act.

Akahige

Reign of Fire, ahuh well that is something, enjoyable from what I remember but just huh to it being on a best of list of anything.

Every 21st century sci fi list needs The Chronicles of Riddick.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Reign of Fire, ahuh well that is something, enjoyable from what I remember but just huh to it being on a best of list of anything.

Every 21st century sci fi list needs The Chronicles of Riddick.

I feel like I'm in the minority for enjoying that movie as much as I do.

Jonm1010

Banned
Disappointing not to see Chronicles of Riddick / Riddick, cabin in the woods & matrix reloaded in the list, but each to their own.

Personally i dont understand how looper can make any list, didnt see what was so special about that movie.
Not a single one of these I can agree with. Notably inferior sequels and an interesting but ultimately flawed and unsatisfying horror/sci fi experiment don't really have a place in the top 20 IMO.

Not when films like Eternal Sunshine(which in my own retrospect could be number 1) and Dredd are excluded. Both vastly superior to either of those three.

TP-DK

I was surprised to see Reign of Fire on the list. Even more surprised to see Looper there too. And Im still laughing at Inception as number 2.

Children of Men bored me too.
For the stuff thats not there, I like Dredd, Edge of Tomorrow, Prometheus, Avatar and Elysium. Whilst some of those movies had flaws, they were overall entertaining and fun for me.

Bishop89

Not a single one of these I can agree with. Notably inferior sequels and an interesting but ultimately flawed and unsatisfying horror/sci fi experiment don't really have a place in the top 20 IMO.

Not when films like Eternal Sunshine(which in my own retrospect could be number 1) and Dredd are excluded. Both vastly superior to either of those three.

dredd is actually one of my favourites but wasnt sure if it could be included.

injurai

Banned
Man... inception over Interstellar... I don't even care where you put them on the list... just remove inception and put interstellar as number 20 at least...

Wish The Fountain got more love on these lists.

Hardly science fiction other than the modern medicine bit.

I don't want to suggest that the entire list is complete garbage just because it's missing a few movies, but the lack of A.I. on the list suggests that the people who made the list have completely different tastes than I do.

Eternal Sunshine is my favorite movie of the past 20 years, but I can see why that wouldn't be included. It's a fantasy-based romantic comedy, and the science aspects of the movie could have been replaced with magic and it wouldn't really have changed anything. If Joel and Clementine had their memories erased by a witch doctor instead of a computer, it wouldn't have made too much of a difference.

I'd put Eternal Sunshine in the same category as something like Being John Malkovich. You could classify it as sci-fi, but it's something else entirely. See also: every body switch movie ever.

Moonkid

Pleasantly surprised at Edge of Tomorrow and A.I. popping up in the lists posted here. I don't think A.I. should be number one but it's definitely one of the more well-made science fiction films of the 21st century. I was pretty surprised that it came out in 2001, felt like something out of the mid 90s or even 80s.

cjp

Don't think I've seen either Monsters or The Host. Guess I'll add them to my watch list.

cj_iwakura

That's a damn good list. Reign of Fire had great potential, too. You get Christian Bale jumping at a dragon with an axe, that's worth the price of admission.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Fairly mixed list. I'd drop looper, monsters and Cloverfield from what I've seen and add some of the movies other ppl listed. Props for not adding avatar or promethues though.

Still I've seen almost every movie on the list and posted. Slim pickings it seems. Make more sci-fi plz Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom