• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 announced for Wii U

Derrick01

Banned
I like the series but I have no idea if or when they decide to bring them to NA on PC or, back in the day, PS2. I would usually just stumble across them and let out a quick fuck yeah and get it.

But if they don't bring the PC version over and just Wii U then this is the first game that I can say makes me want the system.

Drek

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/13/warriors-orochi-3-hyper-hitting-wii-u-at-launch/

If i recall the game was only announced for PC prior.

Surprised this thread wasn't already made, the series has quite a following no?

No.

I'm one of maybe a half dozen people on NeoGAF who ever inter RotTK threads. Koei has even reduced U.S. distribution significantly so we're lucky to get PC ports incredibly long after the Japanese release.

Its a great franchise but it has next to zero appeal.

Jarlaxle

Pretty cool news. I always used to like playing this series with a friend on the PS2. I definitely hope this comes out in NA.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I love these games but Koei is mostly about Dynasty Warriors these days (which I love). I wish they would bring back Uncharted Waters and stuff like that.

The WiiU is a great fit for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms with the tablet controller.
I hope it makes its way here.

WiiU Trailer

Here's some of the PS3 screenshots which may as well be WiiU screenshots (from nintendoeverything)

UjPs5.jpg

Wt3pC.jpg

9XALI.jpg

cJWPK.jpg

0Cdy7.jpg

QS6Hy.jpg

S19pe.jpg

EVOL 100%

These games are as life/soul-sucking as the Civ games.

Will buy if it gets translated.

Played XI on the PC, I had a really good time.

Almighty

Damn I didn't even know this series was still getting new games. Man I loved it back in the Ps2 days. I believe I bought a couple for that system. Then I stopped seeing or hearing about it and it kind of fell off my radar. Thought that series was just another one to bite the dust. If they have PC versions then Tecmo Koei(damn I didn't even know they merged) needs to translate them(the old and the new) and stick them on Steam or GOG. I would probably buy it.

Damn I didn't even know this series was still getting new games. Man I loved it back in the Ps2 days. I believe I bought a couple for that system. Then I stopped seeing or hearing about it and it kind of fell off my radar. Though that series was just another on to bite the dust. If they have PC versions then Tecmo Koei(damn I didn't even know they merged) needs to translate them(the old and the new) and stick them on Steam or GOG. I would probably buy it.

Number eleven is on Gamefly digital download right now. 20 bucks.
http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-XI/150520/

Ooohh. I might have to pick that up in the near future now. Just two questions is XI good? and how is Gamefly's digital service? I use them to rent games, but never bought from them digitally.

I'm not sure. I think they bought direct-to-drive and just rebranded their existing digital service. As far as I understand it's a DRM-free purchase direct to your harddrive.
I'll find out cause I'll be buying this in a few days.

I still go back and play IV occasionally. I never really got into the PS2 series (played a heck of a lot of IV and VI though), but if this new one does indeed make its way over, I will give it a shot.

Almighty

I'm not sure. I think they bought direct-to-drive and just rebranded their existing digital service. As far as I understand it's a DRM-free purchase direct to your harddrive.
I'll find out cause I'll be buying this in a few days.

Cool. I will be keeping an eye out then.

Ooohh. I might have to pick that up in the near future now. Just two questions is XI good? and how is Gamefly's digital service? I use them to rent games, but never bought from them digitally.
Whether you'll like XI depends on which style of RotK you prefer. There's two styles. In one you can play as only a ruler. It's closer to the Civ style of games where you play as the whole nation. The other style is more RPG in nature. You create a character and play as that single person. So you can be a wandering warrior, you might serve as a general under one of the leaders, or you might be the leader yourself.

XI is the Civ style, which I don't care too much for. If you can find a copy of X that is my favorite in the series. It uses the more RPG style.

Whether you'll like XI depends on which style of RotK you prefer. There's two styles. In one you can play as only a ruler. It's closer to the Civ style of games where you play as the whole nation. The other style is more RPG in nature. You create a character and play as that single person. So you can be a wandering warrior, you might serve as a general under one of the leaders, or you might be the leader yourself.

XI is the Civ style, which I don't care too much for. If you can find a copy of X that is my favorite in the series. It uses the more RPG style.

My personal favorite was IV and IX.

I was honestly not a a fan of the debate and 1vs1 portions of XI. They felt like tedious mini-games that was simply inconsistent from the turn-base strategy theme. The grid system was good for the implementation of "mission/scenario" battles, but it also killed the whole freedom feel ("lure the enemy to the trap grid!")

kiun

rotk 11 on ps2 was the bomb. Shame US didn't get the expansion pack. I hope this is coming to the states. By the way, is Wii U region free ?

Terra_Ex

Hmmm, whether I get this depends what style of ROTK this iteration is and that doesn't seem immediately obvious from these screens. I generally prefer the ROTK games where you play as an individual - VIII & X, although I did have quite a lot of fun with XI. It's one of those series where the english language version always ends up as the inferior/incomplete version due to the expansions so I remain bitter about that. A PC release would be day 1 regardless.

Almighty

Dang I am a bigger fan of the RPG elements. I will have to see if I can find X sometime then. Though I don't hate the Civ like game either so I might still be picking up XI.

Myriadis

That's the first time I ever heard about the series and it has already 12 games. I only heard about the spinoff series, Dynasty Warriors. Kinda amazing how many games I never heard about.

explodet

Even if I DID have enough time to play one of these bad boys again, I'm more of a Nobunaga's Ambition/Genghis Khan player.

Although it's way down on the list, one of my fondest memories was beating the NES Nobunaga's Ambition, with the help of utterly dominating my virtual peasants. I'd tax them 100% and in order to prevent uprisings give them constant gifts to raise their happiness.

Good times.

Vaco6121

I loved ROTK X, I hope that gets released as a PS2 Classic.

Hopefully, 12 gets released in the west, I need to get back into the series again.

Even if I DID have enough time to play one of these bad boys again, I'm more of a Nobunaga's Ambition/Genghis Khan player.

Although it's way down on the list, one of my fondest memories was beating the NES Nobunaga's Ambition, with the help of utterly dominating my virtual peasants. I'd tax them 100% and in order to prevent uprisings give them constant gifts to raise their happiness.

Good times.

Love those games too. Nice Strategy! :D :D :D

Top Bottom