• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Jubern

As happy as you are, there are many who are extremely unhappy. I'm sure the overlap between players who want to play an old Japanese RPG translated for the first time and Vita owners is pretty big. This is the kind of game people but Vitas for.

It's also not an expensive port and it's already translated. It's very easy to feel like the game isn't coming to Vita just to spite us. Which, given recent comments about why Setsuna isn't coming to Vita, is easy to think.

I'm sorry you got yelled at, though. Vita enthusiasts just feel invisible. So someone saying "don't mind these people" is quite the button to press.

Oh no, I totally understand and as a Vita owner I would rather play this on it so that's a shame. Most definitely.

I just don't get people who shit on others happiness.
I mean it may have come as clumsy but my message was about people who go and shit on other happiness, who make everyone look bad and might ruin the whole thing, don't listen to those.
I mean why would Square-Enix even try if the only answer they get is hate.

I don't mind asking for the Vita version and will definitely buy that version if it does come out.

I wouldn't care too, if there was a way to play this mobile version with traditional controls. There is none, not officially. I don't know what holding Apple to create a iPod Touch with buttons for us gamer folk. Or Google with Nexus.
I know a ton of people here are allergic to touch screens and everything...but are you people serious with this? A SFC game with 4-directional movement on the overworld and turn based combat driven by nothing but menus and you need buttons? If you want to die on that hill, this really isn't the game to do it on.

teiresias

Interesting, I'll likely pick this up once I upgrade to a larger screened Android device.

How does the PS2 game play on PCSX2 if I want to pick it up?

studyguy

Fuck yeah SaGa series, I'll snap this up.

Give me Unlimited Saga on phones too.
I know it's shit.
But I love that game.
Don't judge me.

webster1

Neo Member
I hope some of the NX speculation is correct.... I'd pay 25$ for something like this if it was on a console. I'm glad games are being localized, I just can't enjoy playing most mobile games without a controller... Though I can pair a ps4 controller to my phone two devices are overwhelming.

Velkyn

Come on guys, April first is over.

Seriously though, I'm floored that this is real. Floored. I feel like I'm going to wake up any minute and post on GAF about this dream I had about Romancing SaGa 2 coming out on smartphones.

Lothars

I know a ton of people here are allergic to touch screens and everything...but are you people serious with this? A SFC game with 4-directional movement on the overworld and turn based combat driven by nothing but menus and you need buttons? If you want to die on that hill, this really isn't the game to do it on.
To me and many others buttons are the way to play any of these old RPG's, I am glad it's out for IOS and android because It's a game I've waited on releasing for years.

I just wish it was out for a system that had buttons even if the touch screen controls work well, doesn't mean I won't pick up the IOS or android version though.

Jebusman

Banned
I've never played any of the SaGa games but I always thought they had some pretty good music, so I guess this'll be cool to pick up.

Also RIP at half the thread, it's time to let it go.

Saoshyant

Give me Unlimited Saga on phones too.
I know it's shit.
But I love that game.
Don't judge me.

I'll never know if it was sort of a stockholm syndrome taking over after spending so much time learning all the in's and out's of that game, but Unlimited Saga is one of my favorite titles on the PS2, a system that has so many other amazing games to pick from.

I cannot imagine however that they would ever port it to anything -- PC, mobile, or even as a PS2 classic on PS4. It's just way too disliked.

If this RS2 mobile port is any good I'll be there day 1. I'm happy they are finally releasing an English version of it.

redlemon

Android has supported physical controls for ages and I'm pretty sure iOS has for a while too. If a game doesn't support physical controls blame the developer/publisher because the option is there.

s3_ballon1_img.gif
s3_ballon2_img.gif

Is there a reason this looks pretty decent and the FF mobile ports look like "my first RPG maker game"?

You own a Vita but not a Smartphone? That's rare.

Maybe they own a Windows phone? Though that would be even rarer.

Ydelnae

Is there a reason this looks pretty decent and the FF mobile ports look like "my first RPG maker game"?

This was a full blown remake by the same developer that handled the Dragon Quest remakes for the Nintendo handhelds + DQXI, while the FF mobile ports were likely outsourced and given very little budget.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am pretty happy that it is coming out on ios/Android :D

Will buy them when they are out

hope the date is near indeed

Is there a reason this looks pretty decent and the FF mobile ports look like "my first RPG maker game?
The only questionable graphics in the Final Fantasy mobile ports are the character sprites, those were designed to look like the chibi artwork on the original Japanese boxarts/manuals.

Shizuka

Can anyone confirm that these latest mobile games are coming directly from Square-Enix Japan? I wonder who's doing the localization for them.

This was a full blown remake by the same developer that handled the Dragon Quest remakes for the Nintendo handhelds + DQXI, while the FF mobile ports were likely outsourced and given very little budget.

Ah, thanks. That seems kind of odd given the brand power involved, but I suppose FF will sell regardless while they had to give this some pizzazz to get it more on the radar. I'm actually kind of interested in it now and I play next to nothing on my phone.

The only questionable graphics in the Final Fantasy mobile ports are the character sprites, those were designed to look like the chibi artwork on the original Japanese boxarts/manuals.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

studyguy

I'll never know if it was sort of a stockholm syndrome taking over after spending so much time learning all the in's and out's of that game, but Unlimited Saga is one of my favorite titles on the PS2, a system that has so many other amazing games to pick from.

I cannot imagine however that they would ever port it to anything -- PC, mobile, or even as a PS2 classic on PS4. It's just way too disliked.

If this RS2 mobile port is any good I'll be there day 1. I'm happy they are finally releasing an English version of it.

The systems were so poorly described but once you got it, it was like playing another game all together. I loved it, even if everything surrounding the mechanics was real, REAL rough.

duckroll

That's quite a short team for the localization of these games. How long is Romancing Saga 2?

What do you mean? These are just standard S-E localization staff. They work on all sorts of titles, not exclusive to mobile. If a game needs more translators they'll put more on it, like with Kingdom Hearts.

heringer

Square-Enix must be doing pretty well with premium releases on mobile to do such a big localization effort. The budget is only increasing with each release, it seems.

I wish I knew what kind of numbers they are pulling from these games.

This definitely looks like the best 2D remake yet, takes me back to the FF I/II days on PSP.

Will definitely pick this up for my iPhone 5s - Adventures of Mana was a dreamy game with a fantastic touch-first interface. Hope this is the same as far as interface goes.

Square-Enix must be doing pretty well with premium releases on mobile to do such a big localization effort. The budget is only increasing with each release, it seems.

I wish I knew what kind of numbers they are pulling from these games.

Im sure they are. You can get a vague estimate on google play through the ranges indicated on Google Play store. on iOS you can't directly but can get another vague estimate based on sites like appannie etc.

What do you mean? These are just standard S-E localization staff. They work on all sorts of titles, not exclusive to mobile. If a game needs more translators they'll put more on it, like with Kingdom Hearts.
I stupidly assumed this was the localization team including translators. I was also wondering how large Romancing Saga 2 is since it has never been translated in the past, so this looks like it will require some "budget" to bring to the West.

I've never played any of the SaGa games but I always thought they had some pretty good music, so I guess this'll be cool to pick up.

Also RIP at half the thread, it's time to let it go.

This. It's a bit disappointing seeing people (mostly on Twitter complaining at the official account) claiming they won't even touch the game, makes you wonder if they care more about having something to play on Vita or wanting to play the game at all.

Adventures of Mana had a very slick interface designed around touch, not an interface that plonked dumb virtual buttons on the screen to control traditional menus.

Honestly, this kind of interface work ought to be applauded and supported, not derided. Moreso given the game supports controller grips and external controllers on iOS and Android too, so Square Enix is making its development teams go the extra mile, rather than use physical controls as a scapegoat for a poor touch experience.

On a related note, I wonder what will happen to the inevitable NX handheld versions of these Unity games. I mean, Square Enix Europe/America didn't even bother releasing the 3D remake of FF1 3DS overseas. I find that hard to understand compared with any Vita-related publishing passes.

Damn, half of Vita GAF just banned for even mentioning the Vita, when can we ban the people already asking for PS4/PC ports? :)

Might as well ban me too for even mentioning the word Vita.

heringer

Damn, half of Vita GAF just banned for even mentioning the Vita, when can we ban the people already asking for PS4/PC ports? :)

Funny thing is that in this very thread there are people port begging a 3DS version, lol.

Though to be fair, in the case of Vita port (localization?) begging it probably was the last straw.

Funny thing is that in this very thread there are people port begging a 3DS version, lol.

Though to be fair, in the case of Vita port (localization?) begging it probably was the last straw.

The issue here is that how can this be considered port begging, when a Vita version exists? This falls into localization begging, which I might add, probably isn't against the ToS. Mods are just banning because they're sick of the Vita or whatever.

But I don't want to derail this thread, good for iOS and Android enthusiasts, they get to play a great game.

Yes, seems like talking about the Vita is frowned upon here. Several port begging but weirdly enough only the request for a Vita version (which already exist) are sanctioned.

bjork

I've seen this on top of the JP app store for awhile now, and I'm unfamiliar with the original game so it was puzzling to me. But seeing those comparison shots, it looks awesome. If you just jump in, would you miss anything by not playing the first game?

Jebusman

Banned
It's less the fact that they're vita port (localization) begging, but that it's the immediate first response they go to, rather than "Wow, we're finally getting this 22 year old game in English!".

I mean go read some of those posts. "Will buy on Steam". "Won't play on phone" "Curse you *insert name here*". "The game isn't coming to Vita just to spite us".

Rpgmonkey

Damn I was close to buying the Japanese version, this is great news!

Hopefully this bodes well for an eventual Romancing SaGa 3 remake and localization as well, it's my favorite of the three.

duckroll

I've seen this on top of the JP app store for awhile now, and I'm unfamiliar with the original game so it was puzzling to me. But seeing those comparison shots, it looks awesome. If you just jump in, would you miss anything by not playing the first game?

Nah, Romancing SaGa is just like Final Fantasy. Each of the three games has their own world, characters, story, etc.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A game like this would drive me to get a controller just to play it on my phone or tablet. The generational system sounds fun, and the technique systems in these games were always a blast to discover.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'd also like a mod and/or ToS update regarding "localization begging" vs actual port begging for future reference.

Unless I missed it already in the recent past.

A game like this would drive me to get a controller just to play it on my phone or tablet. The generational system sounds fun, and the technique systems in these games were always a blast to discover.
Shame controllers aren't supported.
Unless on Android you can override those kind of restrictions.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'd also like a mod and/or ToS update regarding "localization begging" vs actual port begging for future reference.

I think on Android you can force it via third party apps bit you run into possibly weird issues in regards to button mapping.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think on Android you can force it via third party apps bit you run into possibly weird issues in regards to button mapping.

Toadthemushroom mentioned in an earlier post that this game uses some kind of unique control interface that isn't just virtual buttons.

Can anyone describe?

Aeana

You don't need an update. It's intuitive, regardless of what it's labeled. If it disrupts conversation then we don't want it. Half of this thread was whining about the lack of a Vita version or how much mobile gaming sucks. People are banned for saying "XBOX IS GARBAGE I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS PIECE OF SHIT SYSTEM" so why shouldn't they be for mobile, as well? It's time you guys accepted that mobile gaming is here to stay.

It wasn't just Vita complainers who were targeted, it was everyone whose sole contribution to the thread was about how it's not on their favored platform, and that includes those looking for a 3DS or NX version or whatever else. If we missed anything, I'm sure we'll have to do another pass through because people never get the hint the first few times anyway. If you want the Vita version of this game localized, then instead of whining about it and polluting this thread, go tell someone with the power to change that. The same handful of NeoGAF members pitching a fit every time doesn't send anything useful to anyone, but interrupts people actually talking about the announcement or asking questions about the game.

Top Bottom