• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

duckroll

https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296039262973952
https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296297430769666
https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296511952592896

Hi, overseas Emperors! We have exciting news today.We’re working to create “Romancing SaGa 2” for iOS/Android.

“Romancing SaGa 2”, especially popular in Romancing SaGa series, will soon be released worldwide!

We’ll announce further information within this month, so stay tuned! #romasaga2

CffmrJqXEAA5Y4a.jpg

CffmrPxWEAIMLOr.jpg

Cffm3sNXIAAYFqq.jpg

Cffm3sGWcAYt5Jg.jpg

Nairume

Banned
This is especially great because RS2 is the only one in the series not playable in English in any form.

Tohsaka

Another SE game I can't play since I don't have an iOS/Android device despite a Vita version existing, awesome.

SkyOdin

This is amazing news. It's been over a decade since Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song was released in the West, so I'm glad to finally be able to play the second game in the trilogy. I've been interested in this game for a long time now.

randomkid

this is unbelievable.

gave up all hope on a vita version after adventure of mana but it is amazing news that this kind of loving remake can be released overseas for the first time.

this will be the second time I spend $$$ on a mobile game, the first having been SMT1.

This is so awesome!

It's nice to see these classic titles getting another shot, particularly ones that haven't previously gotten a western release before.

duckroll

You know, I understand the frustration over S-E dropping the Vita as a platform when they release their games in English these days. I really do. But whining about it when people are happy that it's getting localized to begin with seems kinda lame? I dunno.

It does make me wonder though, if they're bothering with this, it means they see a future for SaGa as a franchise outside of Japan. Given that they have zero interest in supporting the Vita anymore as a publisher outside of Japan, what does this mean for Scarlet Graces? Is it going to be on multiple platforms when it resurfaces?

You know, I understand the frustration over S-E dropping the Vita as a platform when they release their games in English these days. I really do. But whining about it when people are happy that it's getting localized to begin with seems kinda lame? I dunno.

It does make me wonder though, if they're bothering with this, it means they see a future for SaGa as a franchise outside of Japan. Given that they have zero interest in supporting the Vita anymore as a publisher outside of Japan, what does this mean for Scarlet Graces? Is it going to be on multiple platforms when it resurfaces?
PC/PS4 is my bet.

GenG3000

I'll but it for Android just to show my appreciation towards Square and the series. I want to support the localization of titles never released before and I wish other companies would follow suit (like Nintendo, who is sitting on a pile of Fire Emblems and also MOTHER 3).

Wouldn't be surprised if they are developing a PS4 version at this point...

Dremark

Banned

Welcome to NeoGAF.

Regardless this isn't my preferred platform or even close to it but I'm happy and will snag it as soon as I can assuming it's priced decently.

zeromcd73

Holy shit legit shock. Looks fantastic too!

Most likely.
I really wish it won't pull a Gravity Rush 2.
Scarlet Grace was announced for Vita. I personally think there will be a PS4 version (and PC for the West), but Vita will still get it... Only in Japan of course.

I mean it's cool that it's getting localized and I'm actually relatively happy that these games are successful for SE, but there's like a 1% I'll ever play this on mobile.

I guess I could not post anything if you think that's better. I think voicing the demand for a Vita version was a good idea at some point, but it seems SE doesn't care, so these complaints will become less and less over time anyway as people get used to it.

Overall it's a pretty normal and expected reaction though, don't you think?

Ydelnae

I'm happy this is being localized, I hope it does good enough to guarantee another release on PS4/PC. I didn't expect S-E to even bother with this one, so I'm kind of surprised.

EDIT: After seeing how the thread turned out, I want to clarify that I'm actually interested in buying the iOS version, not actually port-begging, I just think we should support the version of the game that is actually getting released, so future SaGa games can see console ports.

GamerJM

Banned
Kind of off topic, but is it worth buying an Android tablet for games like this if I would use it for literally nothing else?

jzbluz

I've never played a game from this series so I'm a bit curious. I would have preferred the Vita version since I've never managed to finish a mobile game, but it's not really a deal breaker.

bonkeng

Wow I'm gonna buy this day one.

I used to hate mobile games because of the virtual gamepad. But now I'm getting used to it just because of SE releasing good stuff on mobile.

So far, I have more games bought on mobile phones than all my current gen consoles and handheld combined.

Eusis

I'm more bugged with this kind of call for Adventure of Mana anyway. Well, and it does stick out badly in principle because the market for these games as DD titles should be there AND hungry on Vita but whoever makes these calls for these games comes off as straight up oblivious; green lighting a new higher end Vita exclusive these are not. Even if they're kinda crappy ports I'd have to imagine the cost and effort is still low enough unless I'm really underestimating things or Sony didn't make it THAT convenient.

Buuut I'll be happy to grab RSG2 on iOS, it's a turn based game so that shouldn't be harmed much. And maybe they'll dump them at least on Steam at some point, they're doing that for Setsuna at least and these are all nicer than the FFV and VI jobs were anyway.

Karu

Rinさとり;200455774 said:
Google BlueStacks
h my god, why did I never thought about that for FFT for example. If it works properly, thank you very much!

poncle

That awkward moment when you love the series and want to support it, but hate playing on the release platform.

Shin-chan

Need to get begging Gio Corsi I guess. I'll play it on iOS if it's optimised for iPad, but I would rather play with real buttons.

This kind of sums up my feelings on it as well; this is a baller-looking port, it's the first time this game's been in English, and it's on a platform that in the main is making Square money. Like, consider: if a Vita version exists, all that really needs to happen is for the script to be inserted into the Vita client's data files, and then it needs QA and submission at SIEA. If they're doing the loc work for the iOS/Android version regardless, the costs are purely in engineering and platform submission.

The fact that they aren't willing to sign off on even that should speak volumes about what they've seen their software do on the Vita to date. If they thought it would make money, they'd do it. But even with the minimal effort required, they seem to think it won't be. Meanwhile, that FFV port, despite looking (and rather playing) like an atrocity, sold enough to warrant a version of VI from the same team. I think that speaks further volumes about how well Square's doing on mobile.

I know it'll make people upset, but we need to come to grips with the fact that Vita doesn't mean life anymore.

And publishers are going to publish on the platforms they believe the huge majority of their customers are on.

duckroll

To add to this, Nintendo seems more than happy to handle marketing and publishing duties for S-E games to release them on the 3DS outside of Japan. I wonder if the sign that Sony isn't willing to bother with the same thing indicates the future of Sony's interest in the dedicated handheld space.

Sweet. Back when it was announced, I was hoping that this would lead to an official localization. So long as there are no major deal-breakers (e.g. big bugs, poor writing, etc.), I'll try to get this on Android day 1.

Me said:
Ah, this is the one with the "Generations" system. Hope they take this opportunity to finally localize it.

Eusis

To add to this, Nintendo seems more than happy to handle marketing and publishing duties for S-E games to release them on the 3DS outside of Japan. I wonder if the sign that Sony isn't willing to bother with the same thing indicates the future of Sony's interest in the dedicated handheld space.
I suspect that's a lot of it. SE would probably be more than happy to pu the games on Vita with even a little nudge from Sony (this isn't like a fresh port of Type-0 afterall) yet... Sony probably ISN'T providing that nudge. I doubt the games were built in a way that makes it surprisingly monstrous to handle so it's probably straight up apathy on all sides with only those of us here showing a damn at all.

Hell, they have sounded like sub par ports, so it may be even in Japan they barely care. Just that enough are on Vita relative to other platforms while being a low hanging fruit to reach port-wise, so they go ahead and grab it. Here it's just inconvenient enough that it'd be better to do this for other platforms, yet enough of a programming/design nuisance that so far that was only actually done with Setsuna (Steam.)

Top Bottom