• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Ron Paul: The return of the real purveyors of violence

nyr88nyg

May 23, 2020

The Unwelcome Return of the Real Purveyors of Violence

With the mainstream media still obsessing about the January 6th “violent coup attempt” at the US Capitol Building, the incoming Biden Administration looks to be chock full of actual purveyors of violent coups. Don’t look to the mainstream media to report on this, however. Some of the same politicians and bureaucrats denouncing the ridiculous farce at the Capitol as if it were the equivalent of 9/11 have been involved for decades in planning and executing real coups overseas. In their real coups, many thousands of civilians have died.

Take returning Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland, for example. More than anyone else she is the face of the US-led violent coup against a democratically-elected government in Ukraine in 2014. Nuland not only passed out snacks to the coup leaders, she was caught on a phone call actually plotting the coup right down to who would take power once the smoke cleared.

Unlike the fake Capitol “coup,” this was a real overthrow. Unlike the buffalo horn-wearing joke who desecrated the “sacred” Senate chamber, the Ukraine coup had real armed insurrectionists with a real plan to overthrow the government. Eventually, with the help of incoming Assistant Secretary of State Nuland, they succeeded – after thousands of civilians were killed.

As we were unfortunately reminded during the last four years of the Trump Administration, the personnel is the policy. So while President Trump railed against the “stupid wars” and promised to bring the troops home, he hired people like John Bolton and Mike Pompeo to get the job done. They spent their time “clarifying” Trump’s call for ending wars to mean he wanted to actually continue the wars. It was a colossal failure.

So it’s hard to be optimistic about a Biden Administration with so many hyper-interventionist Obama retreads.

While the US Agency for International Development (USAID) likes to sell itself as the compassionate arm of the US foreign policy, in fact USAID is one of the main US “regime change” agencies. Biden has announced that a top “humanitarian interventionist” – Samantha Power – would head that Agency in his Administration.

Power, who served on President Obama’s National Security Council staff and as US Ambassador to the UN, argued passionately and successfully that a US attack on the Gaddafi government in Libya would result in a liberation of the people and the outbreak of democracy in the country. In reality, her justification was all based on lies and the US assault has left nothing but murder and mayhem. Gaddafi’s relatively peaceful, if authoritarian, government has been replaced by radical terrorists and even slave markets.

At the end of the day, the Bush Republicans – like Rep. Liz Cheney – will join hands with the Biden Democrats to reinstate “American leadership.” This of course means more US overt and covert wars overseas. The unholy alliance between Big Tech and the US government will happily assist the US State Department under Secretary of State Tony Blinken and Assistant Secretary of State Nuland with the technology to foment more “regime change” operations wherever the Biden Administration sees fit. Finish destroying Syria and the secular Assad? Sure! Go back into Iraq? Why not? Afghanistan? That’s the good war! And Russia and China must be punished as well.

These are grave moments for we non-interventionists. But also we have a unique opportunity, informed by history, to denounce the warmongers and push for a peaceful and non-interventionist foreign policy.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

May 23, 2020
I have to say, I mostly agree with Ron Paul, as we share mostly libertarian views. But I disagree on Pompeo. What violence has Pompeo sought out? His curtain call of talking about China’s genocide was fantastic. Spoiled children in the US think they have it hard here while an entire Ughyur population is being slaughtered. Not that I agree with attacking China, but the US and its allies need to work towards shutting off China from the world.

Reactions: JayK47

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
We could use a few more small-l libertarians in Congress like Ron Paul. I don't know where we'll find them, though. The people who seek political power are usually the last ones to try to reduce it.

Ron Paul is on the right track here, the few legit reasons we have for walking all over other country's internal affairs have almost entirely evaporated. Outside of treaty obligations with various countries in the Middle East, Taiwan, and South Korea, I think it is time to focus our resources on solving our internal problems.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
At the end of the day, the Bush Republicans – like Rep. Liz Cheney – will join hands with the Biden Democrats to reinstate “American leadership.” This of course means more US overt and covert wars overseas. The unholy alliance between Big Tech and the US government will happily assist the US State Department under Secretary of State Tony Blinken and Assistant Secretary of State Nuland with the technology to foment more “regime change” operations wherever the Biden Administration sees fit. Finish destroying Syria and the secular Assad? Sure! Go back into Iraq? Why not? Afghanistan? That’s the good war! And Russia and China must be punished as well.

And how many democrat voters, including the seals on this board, will stick their head in the sand when that happens?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
And how many democrat voters, including the seals on this board, will stick their head in the sand when that happens?
Nah, I would count on them blundering in and claiming it was never their standpoint in the first place, or making excuses, or just simply pointing the finger at Trump or Bush Jr or something. Hiding their head in shame indicates a sense of shame, which the party lacks.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Nah, I would count on them blundering in and claiming it was never their standpoint in the first place, or making excuses, or just simply pointing the finger at Trump or Bush Jr or something. Hiding their head in shame indicates a sense of shame, which the party lacks.
Good point :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
Mind adding a link to the original piece? Thanks for posting.

Ron Paul continues dunking on the establishment. Too bad his own party hates him. He'll continu to be another frustrated Bernie Sanders type who insists the party could be better while not actually taking point and leading it out.
Dude he tried hard af with zero party support multiple times

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later

Reactions: QuantumZebra

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Dude he tried hard af with zero party support multiple times
Yeah like I said, his own party hates him. But he could run his own party if he wanted to.

Per the other thread about Trump starting his own patriot party, I'd be fine with a new patriot party and I'd be fine if Trump was a part of it, but I don't want a party started by Trump. I want a party based on specific principles and goals that it wants to pursue.

Ron Paul could do that, and I'm sure he has reasons for why he hasn't done it, but he is serving a similar role as Bernie Sanders: keeping disillusioned Republicans in the party because they see him clinging to hope and think someday somehow he will get his shot.

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
I have to say, I mostly agree with Ron Paul, as we share mostly libertarian views. But I disagree on Pompeo. What violence has Pompeo sought out? His curtain call of talking about China’s genocide was fantastic. Spoiled children in the US think they have it hard here while an entire Ughyur population is being slaughtered. Not that I agree with attacking China, but the US and its allies need to work towards shutting off China from the world.
yet we haven't ended iraq or Afghanistan and the orange man bad NPC's of america decided whatever Trump said it was opposite day; therefore, they don't ever want us to "aBaNdOn ThE KuRdS" so no chance of war ending by the so called anti-war party who infamously turned into fucking crickets for 8 years with Obama bombing half the middle east

Last edited:
Reactions: oagboghi2

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
It's just a matter of when. My bets are on this year.
Agreed....sadly.

But where will they meddle first? There are the two Obama/Biden conflicts still kicking (though stalemates) in Syria and Libya. Both good places to tilt the balance of power and keep rivals bogged down. There are the "forgotten" conflicts in Yemen and Afghanistan. The dam dispute between Egypt and Ethiopia that seems not far from possible conflict. Then there are the two big variables Russia and China. Both are really more a containment strategy than anything else.

Regardless where they stick their dick in it, there will be trouble. I also expect this to be the last gasps of the dying Globalism (aka World Police). Which means actions that overcompensate for impending realities.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Meanwhile...

I know he walked the sentiment back a bit in his next Tweet, but I do believe this is how the vast majority of "liberals" feel. They voted for the ability to check out of caring about politics again. They don't want to care or hear about it. They just wanted the bad man to go away.

Bridges

Formerly 'Snuggle Bubbler'
Nov 15, 2016
USA
If only there were a party of people who thought like Ron Paul that we could vote for

Reactions: Brazen

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
May be my ignorance, but I too am unfamiliar with any kind of bad track record with regard to Pompeo here. (Bolton's bloodthirsty warmongering is certainly well documented.)
angry gary oldman GIF