• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

I'm giving a woman that was raped too much credit for saying it's possible they didn't say anything because they'd hope they could stay in the industry, make it big, and take these fuckers down?

You lost me.

Not the woman or any of the victims. I meant people like Ben.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
If it comes out that Affleck knew anything about the sexual assaults and did nothing..I will never watch anything he’s ever been in or will be in ever again.

This story just keeps getting more disgusting and disturbing by the day.

You mean like the victims spoke up about it? There's a reason they didn't. And a reason he didn't. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. ”Do you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?"

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It's super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It's another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you're selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein's out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who ”stood by and did nothing" did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don't work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.
I love how self righteous gaf is lol.. You're on the money. I'd like to think I would out him if I was in Ben's position, but who knows if you're put in that position what you do. Or I, or what the gaffers that will 100% out them would do. It's always easy to talk big behind a computer screen, where we have either a) the biggest bad-asses on the planet, or b) the most self-righteous people on the planet.

So did Weinstein only rape one person or just spend decades doing this shit? Based on that CAPS quote, it sounds like the guy went on a roll. What a fucking reprehensible excuse of a human being. I've always heard of murmurs in Hollywood about rape, so this doesn't surprise me as awful as the act itself is. Fucking piece of shit. As someone wrote just above, only reason he must have gotten outed is because either someone of equal or slightly greater power wanted him gone.

I briefly read the Biebs mentioning in an article a few weeks/months (?) some child rape voodoo shit and didn't think anything of it, but these Eyes Wide Shut shit doesn't surprise how far the rabbit hole goes. :S I'm assuming that was all made up or what? I thought it was tin foil hat but as usual, I did no homework to follow up on it.

OP should add her October 2016 tweet to his post for better context. Very likely it's the same person she's talking about there.

Mikeside

If it comes out that Afleck knew anything about the sexual assaults and did nothing..I will never watch anything he’s ever been in or will be in ever again.

Hope you apply that across the board because I'm pretty sure the same can be said for almost everyone in Hollywood.

People here aren't understanding how powerful people like Weinstein are. It's not just about losing work. Speaking out without proof or enough support is likely to get you sued to oblivion.

rjinaz

As pointed out, you can use that train of thought on McGowan, too, though. She took hush money to further her own career.

If her allegation is true, Affleck absolutely has to live with not doing enough to prevent a rumored abuser from continuing to operate. But that goes along with everyone who stayed silent.

Again, you can use that excuse to justify anyone's silence. "I was really angry about hearing about what Weinstein did, but I decided the time was not right. I'm going to bide my time until I'm a bigger star!"

Except I didn't do that. I don't give a shit why somebody like Affleck may have tried and justifed not saying anything in their minds, the post I was referring to was specifically why a woman raped may not say anything. It's just speculation on my part anyway so maybe it's out of place.

Not the woman or any of the victims. I meant people like Ben.

Ah got ya. Nah I didn't mean that at all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don’t think people entirely comprehend how powerful of a force Harvey Weinstein was (it’s nice to say ‘was’) in Hollywood.
Yeah that’s pretty clear from this thread. Anyone short of his equals (which are very few among the Hollywood elite) that came forward on this wasn’t going to have much of a career, and still nothing would happen to him. A poster said it above and I’d bet he’s spot on. This came to light because people equal to or higher than Weinstein were sick of his shit and wanted him out. This revelation had nothing to do with the victims or their friends. Even the Afflecks and the Damons don’t have the pull to knock down Weinstein or the like.

I remember Elijah Wood saying this was/is happening with young boys too. I hope these monsters all get outed.

The problem with all of this is it is based on hearsay not first hand information. You can’t go to bat based on second hand information from a victim who chooses to remain silent.

You can refuse to work for someone who you think is trouble but who is going to put themselves on the line and risk a public character assasination based on rumour?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hope you apply that across the board because I'm pretty sure the same can be said for almost everyone in Hollywood.

People here aren't understanding how powerful people like Weinstein are. It's not just about losing work. Speaking out without proof or enough support is likely to get you sued to oblivion.
I can certainly apply it to someone that’s been proven to have not reported or worse covered up rape..assuming ‘almost everyone in Hollywood’ has done the same is a lazy cop-out argument. Of course there are countless sexual assaults that go unreported but that doesn’t mean I can’t boycott someone if strong evidence of just such an act comes to light.

KahooTs

Still looking for an answer on what a third party who knew about his behaviour was morally obliged to do with the information.

remz

Just to make it clear McGowan is indeed claiming this. It's pretty clear from all the tweets and comments, this is referring to Harvey Weinstein.

2FgC5Ww.jpg

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...harvey-weinsteins-accusers-tell-their-stories
so that tweet is probably about rodriguez /planet terrot/ weinstien. crazy she basically said it outright and it didn't blow up til now

If it comes out that Affleck knew anything about the sexual assaults and did nothing..I will never watch anything he’s ever been in or will be in ever again.

It did come out - in the op...

Not

Banned
This is such a knee jerk post. It's not Ben affleck's place to out shit like this. If he knew about it he's a holier than thou asshole nothing more.

Wow, truth really bugged you huh?

Wow, people really going to bat for Affleck here.

The idea that there all these factors "keeping" people from doing the right thing.

Patriarchy doesn't have a scratch on it.

We always knew Hollywood was nothing but scumfucks but you never really think of the big faces of the industry being such shit. I guess it makes sense in hindsight.

I hope more and more actresses/actors come out and expose this shit so we can flush these fuckers down the drain.

joedick

The issue is less about what he could have done when he knew it, but McGowan's anger is the supposed shock he experienced, as if he didn't know years before Weinstein was thoroughly exposed.

Well said, I think people are losing sight of what this is about.

Mikeside

I can certainly apply it to someone that’s been proven to have not reported or worse covered up rape..assuming ‘almost everyone in Hollywood’ has done the same is a lazy cop-out argument. Of course there are countless sexual assaults that go unreported but that doesn’t mean I can’t boycott someone if strong evidence of just such an act comes to light.

I'm just saying I expect you'll see a lot more people being exposed as having known all along and not having said anything.

The issue is less about what he could have done when he knew it, but McGowan's anger is the supposed shock he experienced, as if he didn't know years before Weinstein was thoroughly exposed.
Ok, well this is a fair point. I'm just getting caught up on the fuckery of Weinstein. :(

so that tweet is probably about rodriguez /planet terrot/ weinstien. crazy she basically said it outright and it didn't blow up til now

That is crazy. And it all started from a tweet a victim of Faracis made. That one tweet is toppling career after career now.

A really really bad look for Rodriguez. He should be ashamed.

This is not going to help Affleck keep the cowl. I predict Matt Reeves Batman is now definitely going to have a new Batman. I could be wrong, but I think this is going to hurt him.

Oh man, now we got Lindsay Lohan over here saying people need to leave Harvey alone. It's not fair, apparently.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/l...ad-for-him-everyone-needs-to-stop-1202586659/

Lindsay Lohan took to Instagram on Tuesday evening to defend embattled producer Harvey Weinstein, who is accused sexually assaulting and harassing several women over the past few decades.

“I feel very bad for Harvey Weinstein right now,” she said in the Instagram story, taken from her home in Dubai. “I don’t think it’s right what’s going on.”

Lohan also said that Weinstein’s wife, Georgina Chapman, who intends on filing for divorce, needs to “take a stand and be there for her husband.”

Anoxida

Most of Hollywood knew. Probably a lot of musician and writers too. U might as well move to a cabin in the Woods and become a recluse if thats what you feel.

Harvey had and immense amount of power. No actor alone could challenge him publicly. Is it so hard for people to understand?

Also if a victim doesn't want the story out there then u fucking respect that. It's a traumatizing and embarrassing experience to them obviously. And it could put them out of work. It would NOT be the right thing for Affleck or anyone else who wasnt a victim to speak up about that shit. It would be a really shitty thing to do actually. They dont get to decide that, at all.

Boke1879

The idea that there all these factors "keeping" people from doing the right thing.

I'm not going to bat for Affleck, but what if he said something and no one came forward? He could be sued and out of work etc.

It's just like in the Crews thread. What happened to Crews was despicable. But he still hasn't said the guys name. And he listed the reasons why people don't say anything. It's fucked up, but people like Weinstein have the power and money to end your shit.

You always hear about the conspiracy theories in Hollywood or just the entertainment industry in general, but this is it playing out in real time.

Most of Hollywood knew. Probably a alot of musician and writers too. U might as well move to a cabin in the Woods and become a recluse.

Harvey had and immense amount of power. No actor alone could challange him publicly. Is it sp hard for people to get?

Also if a victim doesn't want the story out there then u fucking respect that. It's s traumatizing and embarrassing experience to them obviously. And it could put them out of work. It would NOT be the right thing for Affleck or anyone else who wasnt a victim to speak up about that shit. It would be a really shitty thing to do actually. They dont get to decide that, at all.

If a child is ever suspected as being abused you have a legal obligation to go to the police (at least in Canada) With this, because the players are all adults, it’s completely up to the victims to make their stories known. No amount of second hand knowledge can gives anyone the right to out someone without substantial legal repercussions on both sides.

aliengmr

You mean like the victims spoke up about it? There’s a reason they didn’t. And a reason he didn’t. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. “Do you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?”

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It’s super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It’s another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you’re selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein’s out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who “stood by and did nothing” did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don’t work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

Good post.

Weinstein was a powerful piece of shit.

Anoxida

Read my second post. I explained more in detail there. I dont go to the bat for affleck, fuck him. I'm saying he and anyone else that wasnt a victim had no power or right to do it. Sure he could've pointed fingers at Harvey and not name victims but then he wouldve been absolutely destroyed by harveys lawyers. Stop seeing things so black and white.

Boke1879

reminder argento and mcgowan are only doing this because their careers in hollywood are dead, they have nothing to lose

Nah they are doing this because it's out in the open now and they more than likely have the courage to speak up now with the solidarity of many people supporting them now.

Anoxida

If a child is ever suspected as being abused you have a legal obligation to go to the police (at least in Canada) With this, because the players are all adults, it’s completely up to the victims to make their stories known. No amount of second hand knowledge can gives anyone the right to out someone without substantial legal repercussions on both sides.

Isn't that what I said?

Boke1879

How does one man have so much power in Hollywood? Was everyone afraid of him?

Money, influence and power.

Literally for a lot of people. It comes down to this. If I say something will my career be ruined? This goes for the victims and even non victims. You say something like that you better make sure you have the receipts because somebody like him will destroy you.

How does one man have so much power in Hollywood? Was everyone afraid of him?
He produced a lottttttttt of shit, especially award winning shit that could raise any given person’s profile tremendously. Even if he didn’t do it for someone the mere prospect that he could do it gave him the confidence to pull this shit on people who wanted to break into the industry or didn’t have a lot of experience.

rjinaz

reminder argento and mcgowan are only doing this because their careers in hollywood are dead, they have nothing to lose

Ehh I don't think we need to make demands or expectations for victims. They don't owe anybody anything. It's not like a politician trying to stay elected.

Top Bottom