• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, those will continue to go unnoticed unless someone as powerful is willing to combat them, and probably for some financially motivated agenda.

Harvey Weinstein certainly isn’t alone in his behavior.

The McGowan article linked above has a pretty good reminder that 3 women accused the current president of sexual harassment/assault in the month leading up to the election. While we were in here talking about Hillary being a flawed candidate. It took something like 40 years for the Cosby allegations to gain steam, and mostly off the back of an off-hand stand-up bit. Penn State alumni and students still demand their JoePa statue and received an early removal of football sanctions. The NYPD just tried to argue last week that two officers had consensual sex with an arrested teenager while on duty. A handful of dickheads in gaming and YouTube fame just got outed and thousands of young men showed their asses trying to keep the gang together.

"Rape culture" is so easy to miss (and dismiss)
by some because it's just... culture. People get assaulted and abused every day and we do everything within our power to try and maintain the status quo. We all need to do better.

TDLink

Ben doesn't come off looking great from several things in this thread, but I don't know that this video is one of them. I mean he's clearly blackout drunk or something but the interviewer is enjoying what's going on, even if it's like... extremely unprofessional. And context is important, that show that lady hosted is like a very sexual show to begin with in Canada, focusing on stuff like strippers and nude beaches. So it's probably a mix of that specific show plus Ben being sloppy as hell plus the two of them probably knowing each other beforehand.

People are definitely out for blood, and if Ben actually did do anything bad then sure. He deserves to be called out for it. But that video isn't evidence of anything. His big fuck up here is that if he did know (and it seemed that way) him trying to say he didn't.

But let's maybe wait for some hard evidence before we start chasing down every actor loosely brought up in conversation. Like yesterday people were already disowning Matt Damon and Russel Crowe for misinterpreting a poorly written article, when both of them actually seem pretty clean in this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ben doesn't come off looking great from several things in this thread, but I don't know that this video is one of them. I mean he's clearly blackout drunk or something but the interviewer is enjoying what's going on, even if it's like... extremely unprofessional. And context is important, that show that lady hosted is like a very sexual show to begin with in Canada, focusing on stuff like strippers and nude beaches. So it's probably a mix of that specific show plus Ben being sloppy as hell plus the two of them probably knowing each other beforehand.

People are definitely out for blood, and if Ben actually did do anything bad then sure. He deserves to be called out for it. But that video isn't evidence of anything. His big fuck up here is that if he did know (and it seemed that way) him trying to say he didn't.

But let's maybe wait for some hard evidence before we start chasing down every actor loosely brought up in conversation. Like yesterday people were already disowning Matt Damon and Russel Crowe for misinterpreting a poorly written article, when both of them actually seem pretty clean in this.

That is apparently just a promotional stunt.

It's got everything to do with it. He's a hypocrite and that is why he can't say much about Weinstein. It'd point the attention to himself (or his brother). Too late now.

He's a hypocrite for the other stuff. He did not assault AML. He went on her show many times after this. AML has talked about this with candice later. She's pals with him.

Nail Ben for something he did. Not something he did not do.

Replicant

I get AuthenticM's point though. If you're going to condemn Ben then do it for things he's actually guilty of. Otherwise you risk the real stuff getting washed out with the "fake news" stuff.

Considering the actual guilty things he's done is more horrifying than what you consider 'fake', I don't see much of a difference. YMMV

He's a hypocrite for the other stuff. He did not assault AML. He went on her show many times after this. AML has talked about this with candice later. She's pals with him.

Nail Ben for something he did. Not something he did not do.

I just did. He molested a kid.

Opto

Banned
You can't do anything vs those people unless you have a looooong fucking list of names willing to come forward which is never going to happen. There's people who constantly mention fuckery about Hollywood and nobody gives a fuck, not enough to make serious noise. This happens all the time. Only reason this is happening is someone around this cunt's power level wanted to drown him.

My issue with Ben is him pretending he didn't know. If he said something, it would have likely been mild rumors for a month until something else got everyone's attention and his career would have ended in 2001. Unless you get them on video on the act, there are no actors out there that can do much.

Well, I'd say it did just happen, only it was up to the victims themselves to come forward.

All your favs enabled rapists
I dunno, is it too much to ask that if they did enable this fucker, not to pretend that you didn't know about it?

Sure doesn't look good when you get called out by the person who sought help from you.

I mean stay silent for your career like 99.9% would have done, but don't go and act ignorant.

Yeah, he just assaulted a barely-legal girl instead:

4OwbCRf.png

Goddamnit, Affleck.

This shit drives me nuts for so many reasons.

Aside from the obvious reasons that should spring to mind for anyone, I just graduated from college with a Film Studies degree a few months ago. The first person to ever really mentor me and get me interested in filmmaking was a woman. Most of my teachers in said-college were also all women. My friends and classmates? Again, many of them are young women. I'm honored to have met them all and consider them friends.

Just thinking about this shit makes me livid. They shouldn't have to be put in this sort of risk or position where the only thing they can do to keep their jobs is to stay silent.

The one thing I will say is that lady at least seems way on board with what’s happening here. Doesn’t change the fact that Ben is being kind of gross and is saying some kind of messed up stuff but this could definitely be far worse. Though that looks to be a press junket which leaves me wondering how the other interviews he did that day went since he’s pretty clearly drunk

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
He knew what was going on and I don't know why he tried to act like he didn't.

If you keep lying and acting like a saint, the people who know you're lying will assume no-one will believe them and won't come forward.

btrboyev

The oscars are going to be super weird this year eh?

Anybody who hopes Tarantino didn’t know about this, is kidding themselves. Wouldn’t be surprised if he did the same shit. Dude is weird as fuck.

Volimar

No, we were talking about this as well:

4OwbCRf.png

And NO. How about you stop supporting scumbag like him?

He's not supporting him. You replied to the post about ASM with that as if it corrobrated it when it was entirely separate. I think you need to take a breath and see people aren't doing what you seem to think they are. We're all on the same side of this.

Replicant

He's not supporting him. You replied to the post about ASM with that as if it corrobrated it when it was entirely separate. I think you need to take a breath and see people aren't doing what you seem to think they are. We're all on the same side of this.

Fine. Just one more nugget:

Remember when Ben tried to cover-up about his slave-owning ancestors on PBS and the show got canceled?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-is-suspended-by-pbs/?utm_term=.73ca57cd6fbf

An attempt to cover up that unwanted detail has led PBS to suspend the show, citing Affleck's ”improper influence" on programming.

Well, I'd say it did just happen, only it was up to the victims themselves to come forward.
Dude this is going on constantly. You always hear of "x person abused me" etc etc from Hollywood and it gets pushed at the back. There's so many stories about rape and pedophilia in Hollywood, you can't count it all of if you start looking up on it, it's horrifying. I think you're incredibly naive here if you really think that there wasn't some other powerful cunt that wanted him gone and ensured this kind of information spread as it needed to.

Also what is the duck thing? It sounds like a dumb meme. Only started appearing in the last week on gaf.

The McGowan article linked above has a pretty good reminder that 3 women accused the current president of sexual harassment/assault in the month leading up to the election. While we were in here talking about Hillary being a flawed candidate. It took something like 40 years for the Cosby allegations to gain steam, and mostly off the back of an off-hand stand-up bit. Penn State alumni and students still demand their JoePa statue and received an early removal of football sanctions. The NYPD just tried to argue last week that two officers had consensual sex with an arrested teenager while on duty. A handful of dickheads in gaming and YouTube fame just got outed and thousands of young men showed their asses trying to keep the gang together.

"Rape culture" is so easy to miss (and dismiss)
by some because it's just... culture. People get assaulted and abused every day and we do everything within our power to try and maintain the status quo. We all need to do better.

Yeah, absolutely. Because it was a strange month of the stories piling up, one thing I noticed is how different people react to the same accusations depending on their relationship with the person in question. You'd see someone defending Devin Faraci one day and attacking Harry Knowles the other, and vice versa. It's an unfortunate look into, at least part of, how and why these things continue.

This is how terrifyingly powerful these men are.... Weinstein was able to abuse and rape Asia Argentina and get away with it.

Asia is an incredible actor, director and the of course the daughter of Dario Argento, of the greatest directors of all time but none of that was enough to protect her from the threat of Weinstein ruining her career if she reported it.

Fuck.

KahooTs

The oscars are going to be super weird this year eh?

Anybody who hopes Tarantino didn’t know about this, is kidding themselves. Wouldn’t be surprised if he did the same shit. Dude is weird as fuck.
It'd be surprising if he didn't know given he dated Mira after she says Weinstein first started up this shit with her. But then, given Mira did date Tarantino and hasn't said shit about him (has she?), that'd be something for the clean column.

a916

Affleck's post is bullshit. He knew what was going on and I don't know why he tried to act like he didn't.

But it's not up to him to out something when someone confided in him.

He never said he didn't know about this. I'm reading his post and I don't see where he says he didn't know of it.

It's one thing for him to catch flak for his own sexual abuse, but to hold it over the guy that he knew about this is really... doesn't sit right with me. Are we going to hold Angelina Jolie to the same regard? She knew too. From the sounds of it, everyone knew in Hollywood.

KahooTs

He never said he didn't know about this. I'm reading his post and I don't see where he says he didn't know of it.

It's one thing for him to catch flak for his own sexual abuse, but to hold it over the guy that he knew about this is really... doesn't sit right with me. Are we going to hold Angelina Jolie to the same regard? She knew too.
Yeah but do you doubt his statement was deliberately worded to make anyone who read it think he didn't know? He didn't lie and say he didn't know like she said he did, but he did want everyone to think that.

BadAss2961

It's one thing for him to catch flak for his own sexual abuse, but to hold it over the guy that he knew about this is really... doesn't sit right with me. Are we going to hold Angelina Jolie to the same regard? She knew too.
Seems like no one cared until it blew up. The whole thing was an open secret in Hollywood that was just overlooked until now.

Just saw those clips of celebrities openly joking about Weinstein at the Oscars years ago.

Pixieking

Banned
Worth linking to what Clooney has said, for context about Hollywood and the stories about Weinstein.

A lot of people are doing the “you had to know” thing right now, and yes, if you’re asking if I knew that someone who was very powerful had a tendency to hit on young, beautiful women, sure.

A good bunch of people that I know would say, “Yeah, Harvey’s a dog” or “Harvey’s chasing girls,” but again, this is a very different kind of thing. This is harassment on a very high level. And there’s an argument that everyone is complicit in it. I suppose the argument would be that it’s not just about Hollywood, but about all of us—that every time you see someone using their power and influence to take advantage of someone without power and influence and you don’t speak up, you’re complicit. And there’s no question about that.

a916

Yeah but do you doubt his statement was deliberately worded to make anyone who read it think he didn't know? He didn't lie and say he didn't know like she said he did, but he did want everyone to think that.

The OP literally says "Ben Affleck is lying" though and yes, while I agree he clearly thought about what he was going to say much like a PR statement, I think it's very telling he didn't not say "I did not know."

Famassu

From the sounds of it, everyone knew in Hollywood.
And that is the biggest problem. Affleck is just being singled out for his statements, acting as if he'd do shit if he ever learned about such a thing happening. He knew and didn't do shit.

The OP literally says "Ben Affleck is lying" though and yes, while I agree he clearly thought about what he was going to say much like a PR statement, I think it's very telling he didn't not say "I did not know."
He didn't have to directly say "I didn't know" when his statement makes it clear he is implying "I didn't know" because he didn't do anything like he said people should've done.

Worth linking to what Clooney has said, for context about Hollywood and the stories about Weinstein.

So basically what Clooney is saying is that "what everyone knew" was that Harvey liked to pursue young women (many of whom he had power over as a studio head). What many people didn't know was how far we has willing to go in said pursuit (which went all the way to completely criminal). So a lot of this was looking the other way at him using his power because it wasn't seen directly as "force", even though it was, at the very least, the threat of it. Or basically, the idea (that I feel like we've really only started to shed in the past 10-15 years) that someone in power asking someone they have power over for things like this is fine because "they still have the ability to say no", ignoring what can happen to them if they say no (or what can happen for them if they say yes).

KahooTs

The OP is quoting Rose.

a916

The OP is quoting Rose.

I'm not sure what OP means... opening post or opening poster... I was referring to opening post.

And that is the biggest problem. Affleck is just being singled out for his statements, acting as if he'd do shit if he ever learned about such a thing happening. He knew and didn't do shit.

He didn't have to directly say "I didn't know" when his statement makes it clear he is implying "I didn't know" because he didn't do anything like he said people should've done.

Aren't those two contradictory? His statement doesn't imply that. And he did do something (to what degree, Rose might know) because in Rose's comments, she said Affleck said, "I told him to stop doing that"

Nategc20

Banned
This could be a career killer.

It casts a suspicion on all who are super close to him.

I hope Tarantino was clueless in all of this.
Tarantino hands are not clean. There were rumors of dude being a complete pig back in the day. If there's smoke in Hollywood, There's wildfire. Also, there is suppose to be I massive child sex scandal thats always pop out every now and then but always seem to get swept under the rug. 🤔

You mean like the victims spoke up about it? There’s a reason they didn’t. And a reason he didn’t. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. “Do you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?”

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It’s super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It’s another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you’re selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein’s out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who “stood by and did nothing” did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don’t work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

On the money here

And yeah a lot of these actors and actresses (and lets be real, big directors and producers too) did later become more successful and have clout but even then I'm not really sure if they would have been able to take him down. It's a shame this story hadn't come out sooner to spare the industry of weinstein tho.

Top Bottom