• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Can someone tell me what Amazon has to do with this? I thought Miramax was owned by Disney?

Rose McGowan says she told the head of Amazon Studios that Weinstein was a rapist and they didn't care.

I hope this get much bigger.
I am usually not someone who believes in rapid changes, but in this case I think an effect could set in that will clear out years of silence and leads to an actual rapid change of the climate.

I am hoping more women and men find the strength to speak up now and silence that was protecting the perpetrators breaks.

VeeP

Rose McGowan says she told the head of Amazon Studios that Weinstein was a rapist and they didn't care.

They said there wasn't any proof. Which I can kinda understand. But then, a lot of those Amazon execs probably knew Weinstein, knew what type of person he was. So tbh, they probably knew Rose WAS telling the truth, so fuck them.

What's even more fucked up, is she asked for her show back, but they said your show is dead/gone. Wow. Hopefully Bezos can somewhat fix that mess (fire execs, give her show back, etc.)

They said there wasn't any proof. Which I can kinda understand. But then, a lot of those Amazon execs probably knew Weinstein, knew what type of person he was. So tbh, they probably knew Rose WAS telling the truth, so fuck them.

What's even more fucked up, is she asked for her show back, but they said your show is dead/gone. Wow. Hopefully Bezos can somewhat fix that mess (fire execs, give her show back, etc.)

She's not asking them to put him in prison. Everyone knows his rep. If Rose McGowan is telling you that, you obviously either believe her or not. The easy and convenient answer is to do what Amazon did.

Reading about what Mamoa said. Jesus Christ. He didn't assault anyone we know of, but FFS. Guy comes across as another creep. Seems far too enthusiastic about rape.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
She's not asking them to put him in prison. Everyone knows his rep. If Rose McGowan is telling you that, you obviously either believe her or not. The easy and convenient answer is to do what Amazon did.

Reading about what Mamoa said. Jesus Christ. He didn't assault anyone we know of, but FFS. Guy comes across as another creep. Seems far too enthusiastic about rape.
Mamoa apologized already...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaKqDCfnARp/

4SWTSnT.jpg

In this day and age its so diffuclut to believe these PR type replies.

Why would you ever say any of what Mamoa did if you felt the way he claims?

I don't think he is in anywhere near this group of the bad boys of film. But what Mamoa said is some hardcore frat boy shit, that only other privileged frat boy type people would say. Mamoa gives off that vibe pretty hardcore.

His career won't be hurt, but I don't buy that argument at all. If he legitimately felt serious about sexual assault he wouldn't be joking about raping people the way he did.

DaveH

"I judged him and I'm sticking by it regardless."

How about he's trying to be funny but shit at it?

This is Mamoa with his family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7SobTAnuQ

This is Mamoa dashing the dreams of a little kid trying to go for the joke (audience loved it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64VPv_Hw8E

This is Mamoa regretting what he did to that kid and comforting him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKE-XJObSUA

But go on with your outrage and unfounded speculation.

Lol man I wonder if some of y'all have never made a tasteless joke before. It was awful but an apology is enough. Just don't do it again that's all

This story gets WORSE AND WORSE. I feel sick just reading about it.
Not a good look for Hollywood elite at all.
But I hope that creep Bryan Singer gets exposed as well.

Lol man I wonder if some of y'all have never made a tasteless joke before. It was awful but an apology is enough. Just don't do it again that's all

Made a tasteless joke does not mean joke about raping women to me.

I mean, if that is your position than any joke is fine. It's all just ' a tasteless joke'. Hell why get angry if someone says the N word in a joke? It's just a tasteless joke.

I can honestly fucking say I've never joked about raping women. Never even crossed my mind. Not once. Not a single time. I don't see the humor. I find it disgusting and stomach turning.

They way Mamoa is joking about is pretty fucking weird to me. I guess, I'm just weird and casually talking about raping women is something I just don't get.

I don't think he is in anywhere near this group of the bad boys of film. But what Mamoa said is some hardcore frat boy shit, that only other privileged frat boy type people would say. Mamoa gives off that vibe pretty hardcore.

His career won't be hurt, but I don't buy that argument at all. If he legitimately felt serious about sexual assault he wouldn't be joking about raping people the way he did.

To note, this is his second apology. He apologies years ago. Or heck, just read Emilia Clarke's accounts of how respectful Momoa was in helping her get over her nervousness in filming those scenes. Or how his first movie about the injustice around rape cases in Native American groups.

It's gross that you're going with "he gives off these vibes, so he must be that way."

And he clearly hasn't done any thing like that since. People are so quick to put Momoa under the hollywood creep label for one tasteless joke he made years ago.

chaos789

Banned
Well our president has sexually assaulted woman and people still voted for him. I think this says more about American society than anything.

aliengmr

I mean, if that is your position than any joke is fine. It's all just ' a tasteless joke'. Hell why get angry if someone says the N word in a joke? It's just a tasteless joke.

I can honestly fucking say I've never joked about raping women. Never even crossed my mind. Not once. Not a single time. I don't see the humor. I find it disgusting and stomach turning.

They way Mamoa is joking about is pretty fucking weird to me. I guess, I'm just weird and casually talking about raping women is something I just don't get.

Well, have you seen GoT?

If you aren't aware of the context, then yea it's weird.

norm9

Too late Momoa! Internet has dug it's heels in the sand. You're a casualty of this purge and people are too bone headed to say maybe they jumped the gun.

Eta- ya know what, the more I think about it, this Momoa shit is a nice guy routine for some people. A person doesnt need to self reflect when they're busy jabbing an actor for a mistake. You see? This hollywood star said something shitty. Fuck him forever, now look at me, I would never do such a thing. Blah blah blah.

Momoa made a bad joke. He apologized. People will let go. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't part of the conversation anymore by the end of the weekend.

luchadork

i find it really uncomfortable when people start putting rules on what can and cant be said in the context of comedy. your argument isnt based on humour, its based on agenda. here is a subject that _you_ dont think anyone should joke about. but its not objective. i think once you start saying one topic shouldnt be joked about, you lose the power to say another topic should be joked about. its all of nothing to me. whether its funny or not is another issue and if its not funny then you can be rightly criticsed for it. but saying certain topics shouldnt be broached is just a form of censorship imo. just like some conservative people might say you shouldnt joke about sex or a certain political stance because they disagree with it.

Actions are what define people. If the worst people can say about Momoa is that he made a bad joke, a bad joke that he earnestly apologized about, but to the best of anyone's knowledge there hasn't been anything remotely bad said about him or has he has behaved, before or since. The reason Affleck is getting dragged through the shit is because he came out in the immediate aftermath of this Weinstein shit and acted high and mighty, when it turns out he's been doing a lot of the same shit himself without much repent. It honestly feels like Momoa got dragged into this on some stupid comic bookl movies fanboy garbage. People reaching to try and paint the "Everyone in the DC universe is bad!" narrative.

Oersted

i find it really uncomfortable when people start putting rules on what can and cant be said in the context of comedy. your argument isnt based on humour, its based on agenda. here is a subject that _you_ dont think anyone should joke about. but its not objective. i think once you start saying one topic shouldnt be joked about, you lose the power to say another topic should be joked about. its all of nothing to me. whether its funny or not is another issue and if its not funny then you can be rightly criticsed for it. but saying certain topics shouldnt be broached is just a form of censorship imo. just like some conservative people might say you shouldnt joke about sex or a certain political stance because they disagree with it.

You are understandablly confusing censorship with decency. In comedy, the most common standard for decency is don't punch down. Jokes that boil down "haha, rape am I right" are punching down. It is a joke that reveals a lack of decency. In that very moment, he lacked decency.

He apologized for that. Get over that.

That piece of shit Dan Schneider has got to be next, right? We all know his game.

is there anything remotely concrete about Schneider other than "he looks creepy and works with child actors"? It's always given me pause and seems like people learning the complete wrong lessons from stuff like Weinstein.

is there anything remotely concrete about Schneider other than "he looks creepy and works with child actors"? It's always given me pause and seems like people learning the complete wrong lessons from stuff like Weinstein.

Like Weinstein, Schneider has been the subject of blind items in celebrity gossip circles for over a decade. This stuff didn't just pop up recently. People talk.

luchadork

You are understandablly confusing censorship with decency. In comedy, the most common standard for decency is don't punch down. Jokes that boil down "haha, rape am I right" are punching down. It is a joke that reveals a lack of decency. In that very moment, he lacked decency.

no. you're confusing the joke with the topic the joke is about.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Because it was a joke? I mean we all agree it was tasteless and bad but holy shit dude. No one is perfect, he made a bad joke 6 years ago, he apologized humbly, he doesn't have a history of repeated behaviour (as far as we know), let it go.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Actions are what define people. If the worst people can say about Momoa is that he made a bad joke, a bad joke that he earnestly apologized about, but to the best of anyone's knowledge there hasn't been anything remotely bad said about him or has he has behaved, before or since. The reason Affleck is getting dragged through the shit is because he came out in the immediate aftermath of this Weinstein shit and acted high and mighty, when it turns out he's been doing a lot of the same shit himself without much repent. It honestly feels like Momoa got dragged into this on some stupid comic bookl movies fanboy garbage. People reaching to try and paint the "Everyone in the DC universe is bad!" narrative.

Even here, it was "Oh WB is panicking about Momoa too" *Insert link from 5 years ago.

There's nothing, only images people try to extrapolate things from based on how creepy they find him.
Some stuff may look iffy, but people really shouldn't be jumping the gun to call him a rapist without having something more substantial.

If telling bad/insensitive rape jokes are the ultimate sign of permanent condemnation/confirm that people have commited and or predisposed towards commiting sexual assault then we're going to have to purge more than half of the population.

He allegedly has a foot fetish and has utilized his various shows to showcase teen actresses' feet for comedic value, or supposedly in his case.... other things

I don't know about Dan Schneider but Bryan Singer needs to be exposed.

That piece of shit Dan Schneider has got to be next, right? We all know his game.
For fuck's sake some of you are thirsty for drama.

How about instead of throwing out names of people you know nothing about, you just wait and see what happens.

If there are victims out there, they don't need your misguided bloodlust.

MrMephistoX

Noticing a pattern Rose’s star dropped like a rock after accusing this douche bag and Ashley Judd too. He probably did ruin their careers. Fuck this guy and glad this and Uber happened in the same year maybe some positive change will come of it.

Famassu

no. you're confusing the joke with the topic the joke is about.
It's not that all jokes that involve rape should never be told, but you need to actually be a good comedian to be able to do such jokes without them coming out as you being a horrible shitbag of a human. So unless you know your material is golden, maybe skirt away from topics like rape, racism, gays & such that can easily come out wrong and offend rape victims, POC, gays etc.

Gigli is one of those movies where I'm not sure why so many talented and smart people decided that this piece of shit would be a good idea.

They probably wanted to work with the director Martin Brest, including Pacino who had worked with him already, and who also ad a good resume up until that point. Seems like the failure of the film, along with the movie apparently being cut, led him to quitting the film business altogether though.

Affleck appreciated Brest enough, that he even gave him a "special thanks" credit for Gone Baby Gone.

Is there real talk about Dan Schneider being a predator or are people just talking out of their asses because the guy is fat?
You must not seen the 100+ Twitter thread about him that makes it obvious that he is

I fell for a tasteless joke once when I bought any Ubisoft game

Top Bottom