• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rovio/Sony Attempting Fix For Angry Birds PSN Minis Version

Cruzader

Banned
Agent X said:
That's what I did. I knew of the problems before buying, and swore I wouldn't buy a crippled version of the game on PSN. However, I didn't have an iOS, WebOS, or Android device, so when the game went on sale, I said "What the heck" and pulled the trigger on a purchase.

The game is fun, but the slowdown and frame rate degradation on some levels is truly jarring.

I understand the new version is under a different publisher (Rovio itself, rather than Chillingo), but it doesn't look like they added any new content to warrant a repurchase. They just fixed the slowdown and glitches which so many people complained about on various online channels. The actual developer of the Minis version (Abstraction Games) was apparently aware of the issue, patched it up to 1.03 while it was still under Chillingo's publishing banner, but these problems weren't resolved. Apparently, they just gave up on trying to "fix" the problem...until now, when it got republished and fixed it after all...for a price!

Those who bought the earlier version deserve a free update. Anything less is unacceptable at this point.
iOS version gets tons of free updates and it's like $1 and they go around screwing PSN users....Sony should remove their asses and banhammer them.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
They caught a train using a pre-used concept, I'm not surprised to see them stoop to lower levels of screwing the consumer over. Angry Birds will get its time in the sun and promptly die out.

Rlan

Cruzader said:
iOS version gets tons of free updates and it's like $1 and they go around screwing PSN users....Sony should remove their asses and banhammer them.

Not their fault. Updating requires you to go through the cert process again, which is quite expensive. This is a switch of publisher, and clearly Sony couldn't just go "Oh, here's the new version and change the publisher", I guess.

iPhone version updates doesn't cost them a thing to update outside of internal development. Hell the Android version doesn't take any time at all.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sony shouldn't allow this.

People who bought angry birds which is just a ripoff (but with pretty graphics) of crush the castle. Neither being very good.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
angelfly said:
That's some shady shit. Surprised Sony allowed it since it's the equivalent of purchasing patches.

Thats already been done on PSN if ya count the Ridge Racer 7 3D patch and a Move patch for some game which was exclusive to PS+ for a month last year... o.o

andthebeatgoeson

I hear that the iOS version costs money and the android versions do not. I d/l the android versions for free. Sucks for apple users. Don't know why there are separate pricing.

Emitan

skinnyrattler said:
I hear that the iOS version costs money and the android versions do not. I d/l the android versions for free. Sucks for apple users. Don't know why there are separate pricing.
Android version has very intrusive ads.

Agent X

Rlan said:
Not their fault. Updating requires you to go through the cert process again, which is quite expensive. This is a switch of publisher, and clearly Sony couldn't just go "Oh, here's the new version and change the publisher", I guess.

The thing is, the developer did patch the game previously, from 1.02 to 1.03. There might have been versions before 1.02, but I don't know.

If the updates have to pass through certification again, then the developer should have waited until the problem was truly resolved before going through the ("quite expensive") process again, rather than submitting wimpy, minimal updates that did virtually nothing to improve the known problems game, and then going into hiding for several months when frustrated users aired their gripes about it. They could have provided a real solution to the problem long ago.

I'm not upset about the republish. It is what it is. I'm upset that the parties involved (Rovio and Abstraction Games) left their early adopters hanging for months, and then reemerged from the woodwork later to say, "Guess what, guys? We fixed it! No, we really did this time! All you have to do to get the update is purchase the game again!"

Rovio and Abstraction Games should be ashamed. Sony should be ashamed, too, for having an environment that would allow a situation like this to occur in the first place.

Foffy

Banned
Lindsay said:
Thats already been done on PSN if ya count the Ridge Racer 7 3D patch and a Move patch for some game which was exclusive to PS+ for a month last year... o.o

Were those games re-released at retail with those elements?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Foffy said:
Were those games re-released at retail with those elements?

I don't think RR7 was (maybe in japan?) but looking back through the PS Blog yes that one PSN bowling game was put out at retail around the time its Move patch was being locked behind PS+.

Riposte

What is Rovio without Angry Birds(which isn't even mediocre)? Any particular creatives I should care about if Rovio were to suddenly split into pieces? To say that their successful IP has gone to their head is an understatement.

Riposte said:
What is Rovio without Angry Birds(which isn't even mediocre)? Any particular creatives I should care about if Rovio were to suddenly split into pieces? To say that their successful IP has gone to their head is an understatement.

They've made a ton of other games.
They were just as shit, though.
AB is the only one that anyone cares about.

Rikkun

Lol, I'm one of the poor people who bought it. I was just curious about all the fuzz, only have an Android (at the time the only Angry Birds for Android didn't work for me) so I threw 3€ to Sony and... Weel you know. The game sucks, framerate issues, gameplay issues etc etc

Now I'm glad they did this. I'll just erase that POS from my HDD and pretend I never bought it.
Obviously Rovio will never have my money again, not even if they were publishing Shenmue III.

Persona7

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Rofl, how can Sony even allow this?

It boggles the mind.
Didn't the first version of Angry Birds become the best selling PSN game of all time within the first week or something?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm guessing there are going to be 3 versions of the game (meaning 3x the scam):

Angry Birds Super Borked minis version
Angry Birds Fixed minis version
Angry Birds PS3 version (accidentally revealed via the minis description)

kassatsu

Banned
ULTROS! said:
So I'm guessing there are going to be 3 versions of the game (meaning 3x the scam):

Angry Birds Super Borked minis version
Angry Birds Fixed minis version
Angry Birds PS3 version (accidentally revealed via the minis description)
Only 2 since super borked got pulled from the store a while back :)

PetriRMD

Neo Member
FWIF, this is completely unintentional. The title was moved from Chillingo over to us (Rovio) some time back. These kinds of handovers don't happen that often in PSN, so it's a bit of an unusual situation (and the title ID got changed during the handover so the new version doesn't show up as a patch).

We're currently looking into how to fix this and get the updated version to the people who have bought the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's odd that people are complaining about stuff and comparing it to iOS.

I've been burned twice by this on iOS. Developers lose publisher, if they want to update it's a separate listing, users need to rebuy. Critter Crunch had it happen. Mobigames EDGE had it happen during the trademark lawsuit thing.

The real bullshit isn't in the republishing / redownloading / separate listing, it's that there's no mechanism for existing owners to transfer their license. That's the problem. And on the iPhone at least, the problem is due to Apple. Here it's due to Sony.

Takao

Banned
Good on them to try to correct the issue.

If the new version included Seasons, and Rio, I honestly would've paid. But as it didn't, no way.

kassatsu

Banned
Takao said:
Good on them to try to correct the issue.

If the new version included Seasons, and Rio, I honestly would've paid. But as it didn't, no way.
It doesn't. Just performance fixes.

Edit: I can't read :)

Takao

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
And people overreact again.

I don't really see how people overreacted given the fact that no one said anything about this until this new version was put on PSN, and no one really responded to the massive complaints about the game's performance for months. The new version lists features that Minis can't have, and the screenshots on the PSN are not in the PSP's resolution. It's easy to think that they'd just ignore the audience who bought the previous version given all of that.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stumpokapow said:
It's odd that people are complaining about stuff and comparing it to iOS.

I've been burned twice by this on iOS. Developers lose publisher, if they want to update it's a separate listing, users need to rebuy. Critter Crunch had it happen. Mobigames EDGE had it happen during the trademark lawsuit thing.

The real bullshit isn't in the republishing / redownloading / separate listing, it's that there's no mechanism for existing owners to transfer their license. That's the problem. And on the iPhone at least, the problem is due to Apple. Here it's due to Sony.
There we go, I was trying to think of the game that it happened with on iOS.
Critter Crunch for sure and I believe there are a couple other smaller titles where the same thing occured.

Ramune

There's a little known way of updating a title on PSP and PS3 involving highlighting the game in question and then pressing triangle to bring up a submenu of options. One of which is "Update". Only games I've known to do this PSP wise are the DJ Max games. Maybe Angry Birds can update this way too? Although the more user friendly way WOULD be to update PSN.

test_account

XP-39C²
So one version is a Minis while the other is a PSN version? Does kinda make sense then to me, since it wouldnt be possible to update the Minis version with trophies etc.

It is the same with Pac Man Championship Edition i belive, one PSN version and one Minis version.

EDIT: I see now that the Rovio version is also Minis, then it doesnt make much sense. Just got a bit confused with the "trophies" there, thought that it was native PS3 trophy support :)

Top Bottom