• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Guy from stealth game = fits in fighting game

Guy from fighting game = does not fit in fighting game that already has a boxer in it

Ok.

For me smash is about taking characters that usually don't fight others but have a completely different game mechanic and are imagined in this smash brawler.

This is like Ryu hopped on an inter-dimensional portal and decided to fuck up some nintendo shit.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the remixes especially after hearing so many over the years.

I'm just happy we got the arcade versions for Ryu and Ken's theme for ultimate nostalgic value.

Goosebumps, man.

So next is the pong paddle sprite? I'm sorry, its just my personal opinion, I adore smash brothers because of its love of Nintendo's legacy, and these reveals are usually followed by me having to look up the characters history in Nintendo's pantheon and discussing how true to the characters origin the new models are.. now they are going the Sony smash brothers route of just having characters from where ever to both advertize other games and fill out its roster.

fair enough, although it was on everything, even the Atari 2600 somehow.

Bruh, it's Ryu. Mr. fighting game himself. Third Parties need a huge reason to get into Smash. Street Fighter II being one of the highest selling games on the SNES, being insanely responsible for Smash and the fighting game genre in general sounds like a good enough reason to me. This is one character out of how many? 50? Other characters still have a chance to make it in as DLC.

I hate how custom movesets aren't instead used on "clones" (including existing ones) to differentiate them.

Roy and Lucina could have been great additions if they used Marths customs.

Ryce

now they are going the Sony smash brothers route of just having characters from where ever to both advertize other games and fill out its roster.
"Now"? Roy was playable in Melee four months before his game came out, and Brawl included content from the PS3-exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4.

Besides, this is Street Fighter we're talking about. There's been a new release in that series every 1-2 years since 2008. Just because SFV is coming out next year doesn't mean Ryu is in Smash Bros. to promote that. He's a major character in his own right.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ONLY BIG ICONIC CHARACTERS DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH BROS
>Ryu gets in
BUT ONLY CHARACTERS WITH NINTENDO HISTORY
>SFII sold best on SNES II
BUT SFV IS A SONY EXCLUSIVE
>Snake

『Inaba Resident』;167628017 said:
BRUH
qrdQ0Us.jpg

HEAVEN UP ON MAH BACK

Rooligan

Neo Member
Streetfighter is a slightly more important series than megaman, having basically defined the basics of an entire genre (I might be about to be shot down on that), and has more sales as a franchise. And is definitely more relevant right now
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

Who the fuck -cares-? Yes, Ryu is very much so beneficial for Capcom's wallet, and the only reason he probably got in was some backroom deal to get Megaman in. He doesn't help Nintendo make money, so the "relevance" aspect really holds no place here.

Ryu is probably the character in the most video game crossovers anywhere. I can already see him fighting The Hulk, I really, really don't care to see him again, and his moveset would be insanely boring when translated to the Smash Bros engine.

Tarry

"Now"? Roy was playable in Melee four months before his game came out, and Brawl included content from the PS4-exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4.

Besides, this is Street Fighter we're talking about. There's been a new release in that series every 1-2 years since 2008. Just because SFV is coming out next year doesn't mean Ryu is in Smash Bros. to promote that. He's a major character in his own right.

Huh?

Why didn't we get this many "he isn't important to Nintendo!" complaints about Pacman? Hell even Mega Man? I mean MM was big on the NES but... SF2.

Hatchtag

Banned
Who the fuck -cares-? Yes, Ryu is very much so beneficial for Capcom's wallet, and the only reason he probably got in was some backroom deal to get Megaman in. He doesn't help Nintendo make money, so the "relevance" aspect really holds no place here.

Ryu is probably the character in the most video game crossovers anywhere. I can already see him fighting The Hulk, I really, really don't care to see him again, and his moveset would be insanely boring when translated to the Smash Bros engine.

nah, he doesn't make Nintendo any money. They're just giving him out for free.

And Sakurai hasn't made a boring moveset yet.

super tenuous justification for your outrage. and I love how you frame sf's relevance to capcom and gaming. there's no arguing with people as dug in as you.
Awful

I guarantee ryus moveset will be more exciting than ganons or captain falcons but I doubt you've actually given what his moveset will entail any real thought anyway

SFII helped make Nintendo a lot of money.

Actually, the fact that Ryu has fought the Hulk, anime characters, X-Men, and everything in between in pretty darn cool that he now appears in the largest crossover fighting series.

chadboban

Man, this has to be the leakiest E3 in history

1 game in the Street Fighter series since the GBA era, which was basically a downscaled port. Even Rayman is more qualified to be in Smash if we're going to say that a single title in the last decade is good enough.

Ryu was also in this Wii exclusive back in 2010.

97208_front.jpg

Also Capcom vs Snk on the cube, but it's really pointless to argue at this point. What's done is done.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Who the fuck -cares-? Yes, Ryu is very much so beneficial for Capcom's wallet, and the only reason he probably got in was some backroom deal to get Megaman in. He doesn't help Nintendo make money.
The entire Fighting Game Community is talking about this. People who play traditional fighting games yet not Smash Bros. Ryu is one of the most popular video game icons of all time. You are talking out of your arse.

Jonke

Neo Member
I like the Ice Cream Island section of "Butter Building Ver. 2" better, but I'm glad that this got to get its own remix, too. That game had some great music.

I'm just happy that more Kirby tracks are getting added. So i'm pleased with the new remix and the few non-remixes that were added to Dreamland 64.

--

I'm wondering if all this will be released throughout the E3 week or at least in a short timespan.

NeonZ

But lucina being brand new, she deserved her moves, plus she is nothing like Marth in awakening

Lucina's battle animations in Awakening are directly based on Marth's animations in past games, both FE and Smash Bros itself (Her standard battle stance is basically Marth's counter, which is an altered version of an animation from FE3). Lucina was going to be just a Marth costume at some point of this game's development.

The entire Fighting Game Community is talking about this. People who play traditional fighting games yet not Smash Bros. Ryu is one of the most popular video game icons of all time. You are talking out of your arse.
That is a good point. I know it's just GAF and anecdotal, but there have been a lot of people saying "Well I guess it's time I bought a Wii U" in here. Either because of Ryu or Roy or both I can't say.

Kyzer

Banned

Rofl the salt is real

This man is tryna say nobody cares about street fighter or ryu, and that he only got in because they forced it on Nintendo in order to get mega man (a currently -dead- video game franchise, BTW) in on it, and that his moves suck too

You should have just said

"I hate Ryu."

Because now you just look silly

Crayolan

Why didn't we get this many "he isn't important to Nintendo!" complaints about Pacman? Hell even Mega Man? I mean MM was big on the NES but... SF2.

Probably because Pac-Man looks fits in with Nintendo characters just fine, and he's had a lot more games on Nintendo consoles.

Now, that's just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom