• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's not an excuse, selling a clone from an previous episode for 5€ or dollars is still overpriced. Especially when Ryu will be probably at the same price or maybe a bit mor expensive but that's it.

We know that the time and ressources they put to develop a clone is incredibly compared to a brand new character.

Well

he is $4 for just one version

$5 for two versions

That's not an excuse, selling a clone from an previous episode for 5€ or dollars is still overpriced. Especially when Ryu will be probably at the same price or maybe a bit mor expensive but that's it.

We know that the time and ressources they put to develop a clone is incredibly compared to a brand new character.

He doesn't appear to be a full clone anymore. More like Falco. And he's only 4 dollars.

RK128

We all expected Ryu and Roy to be announced at E3....but no one expected it to leak out again :l. Oh well, really like how both look and if they are really ready for release by this Tuseday, that is really impressive, as that means they got three characters complete in a matter of months :D.

Granted, all three of them on paper shouldn't be that hard to make.

Lucas, Mewtwo and Roy have their Melee/Brawl movesets to work with alongside existing animations to port over to the new Smash engine.

Ryu has his moveset fully done for him thanks to SF already being a fighting game; the trick is implementing that into the two-button attack system smash has (with the B button housing his counter, hurricane kick, hadoken and shriuken specials while A mixes his punch/kick attacks).

Its cool to see more Mega Man costumes added for the Mii Fighters and it is really cool to see VF costumes in the game :D.

I do wonder; does this mean that we are getting more character announcements for the game? I mean, Wolf makes a lot of sense (considering Star Fox U is coming this fall) but that leaves one more slot open (which would be for the Smash Ballot vote). So, my guess would be that the 'last' character would be the one that gets the most support from the community. I personally want either Shovel Knight or Shantae being added into to Smash but I could picture the Splatoon Inkling, Dixie Kong or Code Named STEAM's Abe being added in though as well.

Based on Roy's trophy, this is his Final Smash animation
royflameslash.gif

Critical Hit from FE6

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME. Project M did better. Clone confirmed.

Qurupeke

I just hope there will be character packs or some sort of E3 sale. I'm not sure about 5€ for Roy, but 20€ for the four current characters are a lot.

Raitaro

Nintendo vs Capcom please

Yep! Would be cool indeed.

Or at least have them do Sir Arthur and Rad Spencer in Smash 4 as well at least to complete the "iconic Capcom characters that people associate with the NES or SNES" set.

Speaking of Ryu:
- Ryu amiibo incoming! (Hold me...)
- Will he have Ken, Dan, Sean and Akuma alternative costumes perhaps?

J@hranimo

Banned
I was talking to a friend about Ryu's moveset and maybe he has multiple tilt inputs, similar to a dancing blade mechanic? I'm sure someone here has mentioned it but thought it was interesting.

Linkhero1

Most of those complaining about Ryu probably didn't grow up with SFII. This is huge for me because it was one of my most played fighters growing up.

Ryu is basically a Heropon to me.

Sponge

Banned
Yep! Would be cool indeed.

Or at least have them do Sir Arthur and Rad Spencer in Smash 4 as well at least to complete the "iconic Capcom characters that people associate with the NES or SNES" set.

Speaking of Ryu:
- Ryu amiibo incoming! (Hold me...)
- Will he have Ken, Dan, Sean and Akuma alternative costumes perhaps?

Viewtiful Joe vs Wonder Red

Think of the meltdowns!

To those complaining about Ryu.

Crymoar.

I'm not complaining about Ryu, I'm complaining about his implementation. Namely the fact that he doesn't have a Ken alt mode like Olimar/Alph, Male/Female Robin, Male/Female WFT, and the Koopa Kids.

There's a Ken trophy, meaning a model for him was made, which means there's no excuse.

Vena

I wonder if Sakurai gave the go-ahead on this patch or if Bamco just fucked up and stole his thunder?

Well, I doubt they stole that much of his thunder, most people probably won't see this till tomorrow with the smash vid.

RK128

I was talking to a friend about Ryu's moveset and maybe he has multiple tilt inputs, similar to a dancing blade mechanic? I'm sure someone here has mentioned it but thought it was interesting.

The leaked Classic mode victory video hints at that exact mechanic, with a down kick-forward kick-hurricane kick being chained together. Considering his fighting game origins, I could see the Smash team giving Ryu more room for combos, leading to him playing more like his SF self a lot more then we expected :).

Let's MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

You, me, the Ballot site. We don't stop sending requests until October.

Worry not Sponge, I'm sure the complete no show of any DK related DLC and the somewhat lacking content in the base game are a sign that they're going to drop a surprise DK DLC pack with playable Dixie, Cranky and K.Rool, this Roy/Ryu/Lucas trio is like a test run before the 9.99 Kong Kollection
With a new Tropical Freeze stage
And a Rambi assist trophy
and it will be the bestest thing ever!

And it also will never happen :(

Neiteio

Fantastic news!

I love Roy's redesign. So happy to see him back! I like to think of Smash as a fraternity — once a Bro, always a Bro — so the more veterans come back, the more complete this BIG HAPPY FAMILY will be. :)

And Ryu is PERFECT. Loving everything about him. As always, Sakurai nails the character model. The move selection looks great. The stage has a neat asymmetrical layout and beautifully atmospheric background. His remix (and Ken's remix) are going to get 10,000 views from me on YouTube by day's end.

And on the topic of "relevance," bear in mind that Ryu — Mr. Fighting Games himself — starred in the 3DS launch title SSFIV3D, which is the bestselling version of SSFIV on a single console. And of even greater relevance to Nintendo's history is this:

z-hype-snestop56nsg7.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Look like I might have to buy good amount of Nintendo EShop money for tomorrow update! I don't know what I would expect to buy on Eshop but please make it so good!

I finally caught up with the thread. It was fun to read people's opinions even those opinions are bad.

I think Smash Bros. is the only series where post-release characters get revealed to loud screams of anger.

I know right. It's hilarious.

This is the closest you suckers will ever get to a Kamehameha in Smash.

CHYcU01WwAA_FYG.png

Also we have Orange Ryu as well so that's closest we could have Goku being in Smash. :D

By the way, just like Mewtwo was in his Melee pose
Roymeleeclear.png

njBj55x.png

Dat appeal to melee nostalgia.

I love it! :D

vtzCEY3.png

sp3ypCD.png

iDR6YXr.png

Stock icons

Look good..

MisterHero

Ryu is probably more important to Capcom's history than Mega Man.
Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil have all shared Capcom's highest selling series spot over the years.

They're not that different. If it weren't for all the violence, RE would have a great shot at being in Smash.

I'm not complaining about Ryu, I'm complaining about his implementation. Namely the fact that he doesn't have a Ken alt mode like Olimar/Alph, Male/Female Robin, Male/Female WFT, and the Koopa Kids.

There's a Ken trophy, meaning a model for him was made, which means there's no excuse.
Ken has different stats and moves than Ryu. Your examples don't work.

the ken trophy looks like it was ripped from SFIV.

Sponge

Banned
Worry not Sponge, I'm sure the complete no show of any DK related DLC and the somewhat lacking content in the base game are a sign that they're going to drop a surprise DK DLC pack with playable Dixie, Cranky and K.Rool, this Roy/Ryu/Lucas trio is like a test run before the 9.99 Kong Kollection
With a new Tropical Freeze stage
And a Rambi assist trophy
and it will be the bestest thing ever!

And it also will never happen :(

Give it to me NOW! I'd drop so much money for all of that ):

Kouichi

Man it still amazes me that we are not only getting Smash Bros DLC but one of those DLC characters is Ryu. What a great time to be a Smash fan.

Toxi

Banned
Jesus Christ, five Fire Emblem characters, two of whom are just Marth clones. Meanwhile we still only have two Donkey Kong characters.

Ryu's awesome though.

Roy!!!!

Ryu!!!

Rahhhh!!!!

Gotta say, they have been killing it with the DLC characters. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. Pretty satisfied right now.

Tom Nook

The era of surprises ends. I disappointed with all these leaks lately. By the time Smash arrives for the NX, we would know all the Roster. I want those reveals to be a surprise. I might just the avoid gaming sites and forum a month in advance before E3.

The era of surprises ends. I disappointed with all these leaks lately. By the time Smash arrives for the NX, we would know all the Roster. I want those reveals to be a surprise. I might just the avoid gaming sites and forum a month in advance before E3.
All hail the era of incompetence!

Give it to me NOW! I'd drop so much money for all of that ):

I kind of hate hate how much I want all three of those characters knowing that odds are we'd only get one, sometimes a man just can't decide between the appeal of pogo cane spikes, a gimmicky blunderbuss and elastic like hair antics.

Sponge

Banned
I kind of hate hate how much I want all three of those characters knowing that odds are we'd only get one, sometimes a man just can't decide between the appeal of pogo cane spikes, a gimmicky blunderbuss and elastic like hair antics.

Yeah really! I'd be happy to take all three. I suppose the positive is even if we got one, I'd be happy with it :)

Azure J

Legitimately surprised by how GOOD all this stuff looks. Good lord. All those group shot pics of Ryu with the rest of the cast prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that this was an awesome crossover idea.

Jesus, then even Roy looks good. Roy.

Inkling trophy is good stuff too. Only a matter of time now. :)

Neiteio

I wonder if we'll get all three characters tomorrow.

Normally, one would expect them to do a drip-feed release, I.E. one character a month. And in terms of promotional events, there are tie-ins. For example, EVO is in July. So is Fire Emblem's 25th anniversary celebration in Japan, where Sakurai will be a keynote speaker.

However, if all three characters were released tomorrow, they could sell them in a bundle, and have a more dramatic impact where, say, the Street Fighter fans might buy Ryu, but while playing online they'll fight Lucas and Roy, and those encounters may serve as a "suggestive sale" where they find themselves wanting to buy them, as well.

Tomorrow could introduce something akin to "season passes," starting with a Lucas/Roy/Ryu bundle — let's say three characters for the price of two, so you effectively get one free — and they could reveal a rough release schedule for the next "round" of characters, I.E. Fall 2015.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom